Author Topic: The Controller Topic  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
The Controller Topic
« on: March 29, 2009, 02:37:29 PM »
Instead of continuing to derail other threads with the controller debate, I thought I'd just start a new topic. It's seems this isn't going away....

Continuing from the latest topic to be derailed...
I don't know Adrock, have you seen the Wiimote prototypes? MANY of them had multiple buttons in place of the single A button.

Everytime this argument about needing more face buttobns pop up, I think back to those prototypes. I think Nintendo probably had very good reason to abandon those multiple button configurations when those were in fact so abundant in their testing.
Are you referring to the one with the 4 controller prototypes, the most extreme being the big orange one with the big win game star button on it? Or the "traditional" controller that pulled apart? I've seen them all, but that doesn't change a thing. Every console has fundamentally flawed design choices. Need I remind you that it took Nintendo nearly 2 and a half years to introduce a storage solution?

See, this isn't simply about adding more buttons. Consider that consumers have to pay over $200 to play every game available on the system: Wii remote, Nunchuck, Balance Board, Classic Controller, Motion Plus, and Gamecube Controller. Consider that the Wii is the first backwards compatible enabled console that forces consumers to have the previous generation's controller. If you have the controllers already, why not just use the Gamecube? Who wants to pay for something that's more of an inconvenience to use?

Point is, aren't the numerous controllers confusing to consumers too? The Balance Board is the only peripheral that couldn't be combined into a single controller option.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: The Controller Topic
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 02:57:41 PM »
The optional stuff is irrelevant in most tasks and almost everything works with WM+N. If you've got the wrong thing plugged in the system tells you that, no need to remember it. However if the Wiimote was a Sixaxis without handles that would be a frickin pain to use. The only commonly used attachment is the Nunchuk, it ships with the system and the rest is just optional fringe stuff that the mainstream gamer won't even use.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 03:42:15 PM »
The optional stuff is irrelevant in most tasks and almost everything works with WM+N. If you've got the wrong thing plugged in the system tells you that, no need to remember it. However if the Wiimote was a Sixaxis without handles that would be a frickin pain to use. The only commonly used attachment is the Nunchuk, it ships with the system and the rest is just optional fringe stuff that the mainstream gamer won't even use.

I pretty much agree. These concerns about having "the best way" to play it, or having a GC controller or VC controller to play a certain game is relevant only to a select few. The vast majority of gamers just have a Wiimote, nunchuk, and that's it, and they're fine, and they can play every single game out there once they buy it.

There's noting confusing about that. Everyone's set once they buy a Wii.

Well..okay. So they can't play all Virtual Console games. But that's a minor point.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 02:52:20 PM »
the rest is just optional fringe stuff that the mainstream gamer won't even use.

I think the classic controller being viewed as a "fringe" controller has seriously hurt Wii game development.  There are tons of Wii games that just use waggle gestures as a replacement for a lack of buttons.  So the controls suffer since waggle isn't as accurate and the novelty of shaking your controller around gets old really quick.  Wario Land: Shake It is an awesome game but the motion control in it is completely useless and I've died on bosses because I couldn't shake the controller fast enough.  Every use of motion control in that game could have been assigned to a button and the game would be easier to control with it.  Hell I think you only needed like one more button for it to work.  And this is a Nintendo game.  Third parties do a much worse job of using motion control.

I don't think the classic controller is as confusing as Nintendo makes it out to be.  Now some games certainly had stupid control schemes but Nintendo themselves were quite good at it.  Look at Ocarina of Time.  You can do tons of stuff in that game and it uses every button on the N64 controller.  But it's all very streamlined and efficient and easy to master provided you spend five seconds trying to learn them.  You don't even have to look at the manual since the game tells you the controls as you play.  Now some other companies would **** that up.  I've played tons of games where each button is some rarley used function and you just wonder why they don't have a context sensitive button to handle all the little extra stuff.  But it just shows that there are always going to be developers that design stupid controls.

We see that with the Wii.  For all of Nintendo's talk about new standards and making things more intuitive and less intimidating there are tons of Wii games that control like complete **** because the developer as no clue what they're doing.  And personally I find gesture based controls MORE intimidating because I'm used to the precise control of buttons and don't feel comfortable with imprecise wiggle-waggle.  But Nintendo doesn't seem to think of that.

I think Nintendo just got too hung up on the marketing gimmick of the remote.  Motion control is something that was going to get people's attention.  Wii Sports is such an obvious draw: I swing the controller and the guy on the screen swings his tennis racket!  Holy ****!  Of course people are going to rush out to buy that.  But I think in the old days "I shoot the gun and the duck dies!" had similar novelty (though not nearly the same scale of wonder) but Nintendo didn't ship the NES with just a lightgun or just R.O.B.  They got some sales from those that needed a gimmick to attract their attention and then they used the real controller to play Super Mario Bros.

The remote isn't a new controller standard or a replacement for the old design.  It's a neat idea that works really well for a couple of games but that's it.  The classic design is functional and while functionality isn't necessary eye-catching or marketable it still needs to be there.  Nintendo should start packing the classic controller with all their Wiis and create a game specifically for it to sell the concept.  Third parties finally got a clue on the DS when they stopped feeling the need to make gimmicky touchscreen games and just use the damn d-pad and buttons in the 90% of the time when it makes sense to.  But Nintendo is not offering the same option with the Wii.  Third parties are reluctant to support something that is seem as fringe.  It has to be seen as a requirement or we're stuck in waggle hell for good.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »
"And personally I find gesture based controls MORE intimidating because I'm used to the precise control of buttons and don't feel comfortable with imprecise wiggle-waggle."

My wiggle-waggle is fairly precise, thanks.  I've already experienced a great variety of fun, motion-centric Wii games.

"The remote isn't a new controller standard or a replacement for the old design.  It's a neat idea that works really well for a couple of games but that's it."

Says the so-called traditional gamer that somehow IS NOT interested in buying/trying new games to broaden their gaming library/experiences despite having [assumed] decent income.  Of course you wouldn't know what works -- you didn't bother to play them.

What kind of gamer is that?

~~~~~

Man, I was a little busy with crap during work and home last week.  Feels good to poast again.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 02:55:46 AM »
If you've got the wrong thing plugged in the system tells you that, no need to remember it.
And how is that different than a screen prompt telling you which button to press, especially if every button did the same action?

See you're assuming that people can't learn when that's the entire point of games.  If you can't follow simple screen prompts and instructions, then why even bother? You'll never progress if you don't even try. You learn by repetition. Why is a d-pad not confusing but a set of buttons arranged in a cross like a d-pad is suddenly mind-blowing?
The vast majority of gamers just have a Wiimote, nunchuk, and that's it, and they're fine, and they can play every single game out there once they buy it.
But the Wii remote and nunchuk cannot support every single game out there ever or at least not well. Even games made on the Wii would benefit from a better designed controller. Just because a game can be made a certain way, doesn't mean that was the best way.

Nintendo made the other controllers optional, but no less confusing for consumers. I never said people couldn't figure it out. They can. However, more alternatives ultimately does cause confusion: what to buy/not buy. Additionally, the alternatives are expensive and unnecessary. How is one controller that can do everything equally well not a better solution?

Well..okay. So they can't play all Virtual Console games. But that's a minor point.
How is that a minor point? Are you insane in the membrane? Try telling that to the millions of people who downloaded games. It's an important part of Nintendo's business model. It makes them tons of money. So much so that they bothered to do something about that storage problem because so many people balked at having to "clean the fridge."

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 03:06:06 AM »
Cleaning the fridge was NEVER an issue because of VC, it was an issue because of WiiWare. I should know. I went Download crazy and only maxed out my Wii storage after dropping an inordinate amount of money.

And I don't believe that vast numbers of people are buying VC games, I believe that it is predominantly dedicated retro gamers. I simply don't believe that the Wiimote and nuncuk control setup is anything but satisfactory for the greater 99% of Wii consumers.

And of course the Wiimote and nunchuk aren't perfect. Nothing ever is. Nintendo will make different and new and improved controls in the future, as will everybody else hopefully. But I think the Wiimote and nunchuk are far from failing Wii users, I think that specialized consumers like us are just obsessed with an idea of perfection in control schemes that causes us to spend vast amounts of money on gun shells, wireless nunchuks, wireless classic controllers, arcade sticks, etc. when the reality is we could make do perfectly fine without them.

I say this having bought gun shells myself, and having plans to buy nyko's Wand and Kama...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 06:27:41 AM »
If you've got the wrong thing plugged in the system tells you that, no need to remember it.
And how is that different than a screen prompt telling you which button to press, especially if every button did the same action?

See you're assuming that people can't learn when that's the entire point of games.  If you can't follow simple screen prompts and instructions, then why even bother? You'll never progress if you don't even try. You learn by repetition. Why is a d-pad not confusing but a set of buttons arranged in a cross like a d-pad is suddenly mind-blowing?

No, the entire point of a game is to HAVE FUN. Figuring out which button corresponds to which action is not part of the fun, it's a prerequisite to having the fun. The Wii is aimed at people whose initial expectation of games is that they are some arcane cult that is completely unapproachable for people who aren't part of it. It's imperative to make these people have fun ASAP, their initial reaction must be "hey, this is fun and I can do it too", not "jeez, what are these buttons for?". A controller can be so intimidating that a non-gamer won't even try to learn it even if the game itself uses only one button.

The vast majority of gamers just have a Wiimote, nunchuk, and that's it, and they're fine, and they can play every single game out there once they buy it.
But the Wii remote and nunchuk cannot support every single game out there ever or at least not well. Even games made on the Wii would benefit from a better designed controller. Just because a game can be made a certain way, doesn't mean that was the best way.

Nintendo made the other controllers optional, but no less confusing for consumers. I never said people couldn't figure it out. They can. However, more alternatives ultimately does cause confusion: what to buy/not buy. Additionally, the alternatives are expensive and unnecessary. How is one controller that can do everything equally well not a better solution?

Because there is no such thing as one controller that can do everything well. How would you support a game that uses dual analogs without a CC? There's just no way to do that without turning the Wiimote into an unwieldy nightmare. The only solutions there are either an attachment or adjusting the game design to not require dual analogs.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 01:37:38 PM »
The Wii is aimed at people whose initial expectation of games is that they are some arcane cult that is completely unapproachable for people who aren't part of it. It's imperative to make these people have fun ASAP, their initial reaction must be "hey, this is fun and I can do it too", not "jeez, what are these buttons for?". A controller can be so intimidating that a non-gamer won't even try to learn it even if the game itself uses only one button.

Why do you care?  Are you a Nintendo stockholder?  We're part of the "arcane cult" so why should any of us give a **** about non-gamers?  This isn't world peace it's just videogames.  It's just consumers wanting to be satisfied.

This comes up a lot when discussing the Wii and I guess that should be expected since Nintendo emphasizes their business model so much.  It's always "well non-gamers need this."  And I should give a **** why?  I supported Nintendo for 20 years.  I played a role in keeping them afloat during the rocky years.  I played a role in making them a successful videogame company in the first place.  Meanwhile the non-gamers were avoiding videogames because they were too lazy or too scared of technology to spend five minutes learning the basic controls of a game.  So now I have to fight with imprecise waggle controls to accomodate them.  Why should I accept this?  Every interest has some required amount of effort to get into it and if you're not willing to put in the effort, tough ****.  That's why there's Major League Baseball but no Major League T-Ball.  I don't think videogame controls were ever intimidating to a point that the required effort was unreasonable.

As a videogame fan we should really see gaming as an art form.  So if a company is compromising their standard controller and thus potentially compromising any games that use that controller entirely for the purposes of attracting mass market consumers we should be bothered by that.  It's no different to me than censorship or dumbing down difficulty or changing the core gameplay of an established series to make it more accessible.  When Metroid fans complained that Metroid Fusion was too linear there were different opinions but no one who was okay with the more linear design used the arguement that it was acceptable because it would make the game more accessible to non-fans.  In the past that was not considered acceptable.

I don't think Nintendo could make one controller that works for all games.  Well maybe they could.  I'll admit they're more creative than I am so maybe they could do it.  But there never truly has been a universal controller.  Some games need a mouse/trackball or a keyboard or a lightgun or steering wheel or a paddle controller or a motion controlled remote.  The old standard is just something that works with the vast majority of games, but there will always be games that need something a little more specialized.  And that's fine.  The Wii's problem is that the specialized controller is being shoehorned into the role of a standard controller and it's not suitable for it.  But Nintendo has a perfectly good traditional controller to use as a standard.  They just have to promote it as more than an optional accessory and get third parties to use it.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 02:28:35 PM »
Ian suddenly realized that NWR did away with the swear filter over a year ago!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 02:51:02 PM »

LOL I was thinking the EXACT same thing!
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 03:13:36 PM »
Why do you care?  Are you a Nintendo stockholder?  We're part of the "arcane cult" so why should any of us give a **** about non-gamers?  This isn't world peace it's just videogames.  It's just consumers wanting to be satisfied.

Yeah and it's about more consumers than just you and me. That being said, I for one welcome our new gamer overlords.

This comes up a lot when discussing the Wii and I guess that should be expected since Nintendo emphasizes their business model so much.  It's always "well non-gamers need this."  And I should give a **** why?  I supported Nintendo for 20 years.  I played a role in keeping them afloat during the rocky years.  I played a role in making them a successful videogame company in the first place.  Meanwhile the non-gamers were avoiding videogames because they were too lazy or too scared of technology to spend five minutes learning the basic controls of a game.  So now I have to fight with imprecise waggle controls to accomodate them.  Why should I accept this?  Every interest has some required amount of effort to get into it and if you're not willing to put in the effort, tough ****.  That's why there's Major League Baseball but no Major League T-Ball.  I don't think videogame controls were ever intimidating to a point that the required effort was unreasonable.

Then it's time you get a 360. Not just because it's aimed at you but because it demonstrates how bad the button overload has become. Me, I have no problem with waggle controls, in fact I find them both precise and valid (never mind that some things just don't need to be precise, especially when you're simulating imprecise actions). Not only do they increase the immersion which core gamers harp on about, they also provide additional primary inputs. I'll elaborate: I group inputs into three classes, primary (you have a finger over them and can press them instantly), secondary (you have them next to your finger and can press them with a bit of delay) and tertiary (you have to shift your grip to reach them). I consider the analog stick clicking tertiary because exacting that force usually requires a grip shift. On the Wiimote + nunchuk setup your primary inputs are: a-stick, Z, A, B, shaking the Wiimote and shaking the nunchuk (if the game only knows shaking as a general movement, more if it reacts to directions), secondary inputs are the C button and the dpad and tertiary are plus, minus, 1 and 2. On a 360 controller the primary inputs are the analog stick, A, X, LT, RT, secondary are Y, LB, RB, tertiary are B (to me that's a tertiary input because of its position), LS, RS, dpad, start, back and the analog stick. That's five primary input "buttons" on the WM+N and four on the 360, plus the Wiimote can do pointing functionality which replaces the second analog stick of the 360 in some games (which would block two of the primary input buttons and turn all face buttons into tertiary inputs when used). The WM+N input also has more secondary controls if you use the dpad for four different functions. Only the tertiary functions are more numerous on the 360 controller (8 for the directional inputs if used like that plus 5 for the buttons) than on the Wiimote (4 in total). I don't count the home, power and guide buttons because these are not available to the games.

As a videogame fan we should really see gaming as an art form.  So if a company is compromising their standard controller and thus potentially compromising any games that use that controller entirely for the purposes of attracting mass market consumers we should be bothered by that.  It's no different to me than censorship or dumbing down difficulty or changing the core gameplay of an established series to make it more accessible.  When Metroid fans complained that Metroid Fusion was too linear there were different opinions but no one who was okay with the more linear design used the arguement that it was acceptable because it would make the game more accessible to non-fans.  In the past that was not considered acceptable.

The 360 showed me that I'd rather have my games be mindless fun than art. Art has too many stupid conotations that don't work for games. Besides, the Wiimote is not compromising anything, at least not moreso than any other controller. The other controllers have no pointing functionality which is a critical part of many PC games and already requires many compromises (e.g. autoaim) and they have a fixed button count rather than the ability to get however many gestures you need out of the Wiimote and Nunchuk (and that without ever taking any finger off the main buttons!). When arguing from a blank slate the Wiimote + Nunchuk is probably even a less compromised controller than the standard ones. Of course if you use the starting controller as your base anything except that controller is going to be a compromise but I'd like to see you explain that to a PC fanboy who will probably hit you over the head with the precision and button numbers offered by his preferred input devices.

I don't think Nintendo could make one controller that works for all games.  Well maybe they could.  I'll admit they're more creative than I am so maybe they could do it.  But there never truly has been a universal controller.  Some games need a mouse/trackball or a keyboard or a lightgun or steering wheel or a paddle controller or a motion controlled remote.  The old standard is just something that works with the vast majority of games, but there will always be games that need something a little more specialized.  And that's fine.  The Wii's problem is that the specialized controller is being shoehorned into the role of a standard controller and it's not suitable for it.  But Nintendo has a perfectly good traditional controller to use as a standard.  They just have to promote it as more than an optional accessory and get third parties to use it.

The old controller doesn't work for anythig that's point and click based (at least not well) which includes entire GENRES. What does the Wiimote not work for? Games with too many tertiary functions? There's a good chance you could make those functions menu driven and not even lose any inputs.

If there was an option to bind jumping to a nunchuk shake in the CvJ control scheme B I'd be able to control it entirely using ONLY primary inputs. Currently the only secondary conrtrol I have to use is the C button which I find unwieldy and thus don't jump much. With a nunchuk shake it would be quicker to reach.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 03:33:13 PM »

He only swore three times. =/
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 03:42:43 PM »
He's losing his fire.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 04:27:20 PM »
Then it's time you get a 360. Not just because it's aimed at you but because it demonstrates how bad the button overload has become.

Button overload is a problem for specific developers.  It's not an industry wide disease caused by the old controller design.  Nintendo themselves in the pre-Wii era were always very talented at designing intuitive control schemes that were easy to learn, even when they used every button on the controller.

The 360 showed me that I'd rather have my games be mindless fun than art.

Fun is a relative term though.  I really don't like it when people talk about Wii games being more fun as if it's a factual statement.  I view games as an artform entirely because it's a creative outlet just like a song or a film or a painting.  Sometimes we're going to get really arty games that play like crap.  But we also get ambitious games that are an absolute blast to play.  Nintendo themselves are very good at this when they want to be.  But with the attitude they have now I question if many of their greatest games would ever have turned out the way they did if they had their current attitude then.  Games like Super Metroid or Ocarina of Time are very ambitious and have a large scope.  They can be overwhelming to an experienced gamer.  That's not very mass market friendly design so if you're too focused with being mass market friendly you're going to intentionally scale the game back.  That's compromising the artistic merit of the videogame.  Now videogames are a business so that will always happen in some capacity.  But we should see that as a necessary evil, not something to defend or even celebrate.

Nintendo was willing to offer both the traditional setup and the risky innovative setup with the DS.  The DS has benefited from that.  But they didn't with the Wii.  They made the tradtional setup a niche extra and forced the risky innovative setup to be the default option.

I'm also quite convinced that Nintendo designed the Wii-mote with its marketability as the primary motivation, instead of legitimately trying to design a functional and flexible controller.  I don't care for that.  That's not how you design a good controller.  That's the kind of design process that resulted in the original huge Xbox controller and the initial PS3 boomerang design.

I don't see why suggesting that Nintendo make the classic controller a realistic option for developers is so taboo.  I don't understand why the idea of games using the control scheme that works best for them is such a controversial idea around here.  Quit thinking so much about demographics and sales and marketing.  Think about good game design.  I think if the classic controller was seen as a realistic option we would get better games since devs won't feel the pressure to force waggle into games that don't need it.  It's no different than DS devs realizing that they don't have to use the touchscreen for every game and making better games as a result.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 06:31:20 PM »
No, the entire point of a game is to HAVE FUN. Figuring out which button corresponds to which action is not part of the fun, it's a prerequisite to having the fun.
Well, obviously, games are meant to be fun, but learning how to play is not a prerequisite. It's part of the process. You can still have fun even if you don't know exactly what to do. However, games can become more fun with progression. That said, you can't separate the two.
The Wii is aimed at people whose initial expectation of games is that they are some arcane cult that is completely unapproachable for people who aren't part of it. It's imperative to make these people have fun ASAP, their initial reaction must be "hey, this is fun and I can do it too", not "jeez, what are these buttons for?". A controller can be so intimidating that a non-gamer won't even try to learn it even if the game itself uses only one button.
The Wii is aimed at everyone, both casual and core. It's meant to be inviting. However, it's not the controller that's inviting to non-gamers, it's watching other people use it. By itself, without any preconceived notion of what it's capable of, the Wii remote is just another game controller or worse. Whether it has one big A button or 4 smaller buttons is irrelevant in terms of its appeal. There's a reason all those Wii experience videos were comprised of people playing the games rather than focusing on the controller itself. Without learning what it is, what it does, how it works, the Wii remote is just as intimidating as any other gaming device. And you can keep ignoring the fact that the DS completely negates your perception of the Wii and the remote, but it's not going away. DS is a hugely successful product that appeals to both gamers and non-gamers. How is that possible if the existence of its many buttons is so utterly intimidating that non-gamers run and hide at the very sight of it?
Because there is no such thing as one controller that can do everything well. How would you support a game that uses dual analogs without a CC? There's just no way to do that without turning the Wiimote into an unwieldy nightmare. The only solutions there are either an attachment or adjusting the game design to not require dual analogs.
Yet. There's no such thing as one controller that can do everything well yet because no one has tried to build it. You say it can't be done or that it'd be "an unwieldy nightmare" but you have no point of reference. Why not? There are things we never imagined when all we had was Pong. I like to think that with all the wonderful things Nintendo has done for gaming over the years that they can, with their millions of dollars of research and the development, make it work.