Author Topic: What was your first exposure to gaming?  (Read 11738 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
What was your first exposure to gaming?
« on: April 12, 2003, 06:36:37 AM »
  I am just curious to hear the circumstances in which you first decided that video games were for you.  I know my first game was Combat for the Atari 2600.  My dad bought me the Atari 2600 and I soon was addicted to games.  From that day in 1980 , forward, i have played virtuallly non stop.  I took a brief break in 1998, but I don't remember why.  Anyway I've owned the Atari 2600,Colecovision,NES,Turbografix-16,Gameboy,SNES,N64,PS2, and the Gamecube.  My favorite is the SNES.  It had some of the greatest games ever.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Chasefox

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 07:04:20 AM »
My first experience was the NES.  I've had every major nintendo console ever since, except for the original gameboy and virtual boy.  I agree that the SNES was the best.  I truly enjoyed Zelda: A LttP, Super Mariocart, and Starfox.  Those were some of the best ever.
Wii #: 5265 0575 1339 3836<BR><BR>Guitar Hero #:  <BR>4553-8748-6319<BR><BR>PM me if you add my #

Offline YamiYugi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2003, 08:39:12 AM »
i was like 3..n my dad had ATARI....don't remmeber the gamez...lol

"For what you[Pegasus] did to Yugi, I swear I'll take you down!" ~Yugi vs. Pegasus PART 3

Offline swimguy228

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 05:19:28 PM »
My first gaming experience was with a game where you had to make Kool-aid by getting the water and sugar, all while staying away from ghost's. I think it was on the Colecovision, but I'm not sure. My mom then gave me her old atari, and the game Food Fighters was the addiction of my childhood until my parents purchased an NES, and I moved on to SMB3.
I pitty da fool who bought da Xbox. ~ Mr. T

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2003, 05:56:28 PM »
yeah mine was the nes- back then all i would play was castlevania (the original) and mario brothers (all 3)
i did own kid icarus, metroid, and of course contra
i still have it all but i dont know how many games i have now- i have been collecting for a while
i call the big one bitey.

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2003, 05:59:52 PM »
Ha!  Commodore 128.  i need not say anymore.  those of you who know what it is, know.  those who don't, won't.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2003, 11:01:00 PM »
I was 7 years old.  The kid next door got a NES for Christmas and I lived at his house for a long time.    I wasn't that good at video games at first, so I mostly played Duck Hunt, but when I got a NES of my own, I finally finished Super Mario Bros.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2003, 01:29:48 AM »
amiga 500 \o/ and i still have it AND it still works perfectly, i love it better than any PC i have ever had
first nintendo console was the snes, and since selling my perchases have gone n64, gbc, gba, gamecube, gba sp, snes \o/

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2003, 11:15:18 AM »
Commodore 64.  I can't say I can remember my very first game, but I remember Wizards (Wizardry? can't remember - a fun platformer with keys and treasure),  Pole Position, Frogger, Bard's Tale III, Adventure Construction Set... ah, fun.  I think I was 5 or 6.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2003, 04:57:13 AM »
hard for me to remember which game, but it was definitely computer games since my dad is a programmer and we've always had multiple computers in the house.  i think the first game i played was Dig Dug.  or it might have been multiple games on the old MicroBee (anyone remember that brand?) with green and black color screen.

these were the days...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2003, 08:48:40 AM »
I pwayed mawio bwos at my fweinds house..and i just wemember him hitting the powder boxes and getting mushwooms and fwowas...then we got both a commadore 64 and a nes the same christmas.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2003, 06:34:33 PM »
My first gaming experience was either Missile Command or Asteroids on the Atari 2600. I was like, three. It was my parents. The loud noises scared the crap out of me.

Bout two years later, we got new neighbours, I became best friends with their three kids. Anyway, they had a magical huge box called a Master System Powerbase. I became badly addicted to the likes of WonderBoy, Trans Bot, Teddy Boy...
For my Birthday later that year, I got a NES. It came with Zelda, Dr. Mario, Shadowgate and a cleaning kit bundled in (How's that for value)

It had... Begun......

From there, I've owned various units, such as the SNES, Master System, Mega Drive, Game Boy, Lynx, Mega CD, N64, Saturn... Blah Blah Blah. But being a poor kid, I had to end up selling stuff to get the 'latest' machine.

I've sold so many great games over the years

.. And now, I collect games and units, trying to currently re-build my Master System collection. My room is a damn mess of cartridges, dusty units, instruction manuals, game related junk....

There, my life story.

That was a nice time filler.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2003, 08:14:00 PM »
Well actually my first exposure to gaming was with the Sega Mega Drive and Sonic 2. It was the only game i had for like 2 years but i didnt need any other games, i loved sonic 2 so much, then i got Sonic 1, 3 and Sonic and Knuckles. I was a sonic fanboy until i got my hands on a Gameboy The first time i got REALLY addicted to a game was only about 4 years ago with Pokemon Yellow, i played my friends gameboy all the time until finally at christmas i got my own Gameboy and Pokemon Blue. Then i saw a commercial for Pokemon Stadium on tv, and i was drooling at the mouth, i just sat there amazed for like an hour. The next day i got a N64 with Pokemon Stadium and thanks to Pokemon making me become a Nintendo fan, i have been able to enjoy the likes of Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye and Super Mario 64. If it wasn't for Pokemon i wouldnt be a gamer, and i probably would only have a PSX2 and Grand theft auto.

Theres my life story too.

Offline BoMbErMaN123

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2003, 07:27:20 PM »
My first gaming experience was when my dad bought me an NES and Excitebike. I always used to run straight to my room and play and always beat my dad(but i think he was going easy). I just wished I still had my NES.....
". . . And you shall shed tears of scarlet." Vicious, Cowboy Bebop

Offline Ridley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2003, 07:34:10 PM »
Nes and Mario 3. I played it constantly.
If the graphics are bad, I'll ignore them.
If the style's been used before, I won't care. I don't get sick of styles.
If the story is weak, I'll make up my own.
I only care about gameplay.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2003, 08:54:58 PM »
Atari 2600 and Combat. It was a Magomery Wards special.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Gamer1982

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2003, 01:08:29 AM »
Vectrex baby...I can still remember being at my grandmas and my cousin handing me a big shopping bag filled with a vectrex and games.  He was upgrading to a NES.    There were the power outages and heat waves in NYC that summer, and I remember lying there, just waiting for the power to come back so I could get a game of scrambler or bezerk in on the vectrex.  Even my mom played that thing with us...ahhh the memories.  ::sheds a tear:::  Still have the old thing, with about 6 or 7 games.  Works perfectly!

I also remember Thanksgiving 1989 where the same cousin strutted in with a game boy and mario land.  I bugged my mom the whole night that I needed one for christmas.  When christmas arrived, I opened every present.  A gameboy, but no Mario Land.  I was crushed.  Turns out "santa" forgot about some of the toys.  My mom ran outside and threw them on the front porch, then said "look, santa must have dropped them on the way in!"  Awww yeah, Mario Land was the sweetest game ever back then.  Now you're playing with portable power!  

Offline Rogue

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2003, 02:13:41 AM »
My first gaming / computer system was the Commodore 16+...Great little machine. =)

My first console was the MegaDrive 2. I had a friend with a NES living down the road for a long time before that, though. Mario 3 was like, the best game ever for me at that time.

Offline Chris1228

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2003, 09:18:35 AM »
My first experience was Commodore 64 and the Atari 2600:

Favorite games:

Commodore: Games series (Summer Games, World Games), 4th and Inches, ACE
Atari: Circus Atari, Combat, Space Invaders.

Offline yrrab436

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2003, 09:37:15 AM »
For me it was some train game on my brother's Commodore 64.  I remember seeing Super Mario Bros. on Nintendo and being blown away by the color graphics.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2003, 11:03:20 AM »
We were visiting my mom's friends in Ohio, and they had an NES.  I was about three at the time, and got one shortly afterward.  Have played video games ever since.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline XBR

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2003, 07:49:25 AM »
I remember when my cousin gave me his NES and like 10 games.  He moved on to Game Gear (the idiot)  Wow i spent all my younger days playin Metroid and SMB 1 and 2  the best though was Milon's Secret Castle from Hudson.  Weird game indeed   Ah now im going to go listen to Madness and sip on some Tab. Wow tab is totally rad  (And thats my nostalogic 80's Moment.)  
Rocko's Modern Life....
       ...the good ole days

Offline Praxius

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2003, 07:45:53 AM »
Let's see here, My very first Experince with Games was with the Atari (Witht he Panel Siding)

The other consoles and games that I have since played are as follows and I Quote:

Atari
Coleco Vision
Intellivision
Vic 20
Comadore 64/128
Nentendo
Sega
Super Nentendo
Gameboy
Sega Genisis
Sega Game Gear
Sega CD
Virtualboy
Turbo Grapix 16
Neo Geo
N64 (When I tried it, it was called the Ultra 64)
Playstation
PC (all the glory of the Mouse and Keyboard and FPS games)
Playstation 2
XBox
and Finally, the Gamecube.

I think the first game I played on the Atari was either Snoopy and the Red Barron, or Grimlins.
For Nintendo I played Zelda and Faxanadu. The first game I played on the Super Nintendo was Street Fighter 2 (And got my ass kicked I must say, but am now unstoppable) Gameboy.... Tetris..... N64..... Crusin USA....... the Sega...... Can't remember...... Genisis....... Sonic2......... Gamecube....... last weekend...... Mario Sunshine, and I now have Bloody Roar: Primal Fury, and my next game will be Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance.

yes, I have been at it and with it from the start...... I would be surprised if there was someone else here that has heard of the Intellivision
*Exit The Prax*

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2003, 09:50:34 AM »
Yea, i forgot about intellivision...that Bruce Lee game i used to play,,,,i never owned it though
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2003, 03:45:15 PM »
heard of it, never played one or seen one
no-one else here had an amiga 500 or above? they are the best!! THE BEST!!