Author Topic: PilotWings - Am I the only one?  (Read 3514 times)

Offline theDudeAbides

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
PilotWings - Am I the only one?
« on: April 07, 2003, 09:39:13 AM »
I'll admit it.  I loved PilotWings on the SNES, as well as the update on the N64.  I enjoyed the serene bliss of flying, the enchanting soundtrack, the simple yet challenging gameplay.  I accept the fact that these were launch titles on both consoles, and there may have been a lack of anything else to play (besides Mario) at the time, but I really, truly enjoyed PilotWings.  And now I want more.

Any word of a new PilotWings for the Cube?

Am I the only one out there who feels this way?

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2003, 09:48:03 AM »
i loved pilotwings myself- its just fun to play
unfortunately i havent heard anything on it being made for gc
but e3 is just around the corner- so maybe we will see it
i would love to see a sequal but i dont think it will happen  
i call the big one bitey.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2003, 09:54:53 AM »
yeah i would love a cube version of this game! *crosses everything crossable on his body* come on nintendo you can do it!

Offline misterd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2003, 09:57:48 AM »
This would be a great release. Flying around the various levels of PW64 and taking photos was a great stress reliever. In fact, I would love to see them release this at last with the damn SD adapter so, unlike Zelda, we can take more than 1 photo at a time!

Offline Nat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2003, 10:01:14 AM »
 I'd love a new Pilot Wings, and we may get our wish. IGN had a special report where they listed some unannounced game from Nintendo. One was a secret progect from one of their 2nd parties, which IGN seems to believe is a new Pilot Wings.

Offline popkorn1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2003, 10:17:05 AM »
here here!

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2003, 10:30:12 AM »

Originally posted by: Nat
I'd love a new Pilot Wings, and we may get our wish. IGN had a special report where they listed some unannounced game from Nintendo. One was a secret progect from one of their 2nd parties, which IGN seems to believe is a new Pilot Wings.

If that's the case, then it probably is NOT Pilotwings.  I don't know the license situation, but the last Pilotwings on the N64 was made by Paradigm, who was purchased by Infrogrames.  

Therefore, they can not be a second party.  Since Nintendo probably would have left the game to their devices, Pilotwings would have to come from either a different developer.

But since I don't know how the license works, I assume Nintendo owns the rights to Pilotwings, in which case anyone could be handed the project.  

But I honestly wouldn't count on it.

BTW, I loved Pilotwings 64.  It is still one the best games on the systems, which graphics that easily hold up to the final games.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2003, 11:37:19 AM »
Wasn't Paradigm owned by Hudson, though, before they were bought by Infogrames? Iy's possible that either they own the license or Nintendo will let them develop the next game in the series (if there is one). Personally, I LOVED Pilotwings 64- nothing beats flying around Little States with Birdman.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2003, 12:56:13 PM »
I think these games have a good following, but I've always found them intensely disappointing, if not outright aggravating.  I love challenges, but I've never found any of the Pilotwings games to be fun, and I'm sad about this.  I remember getting so fed up with the N64 version that I would just spend hours falling through the sky changing the angles, enjoying the beautiful sunset backgrounds.  It really was stellar back then, and perhaps even today.  But, skydiving movies don't have that much longevity...hahahaha.....
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2003, 01:32:30 PM »
PW64 was bliss.
I often lost hours of my life simply using Birdman to fly around the (at the time) massive landscapes. Zooming under bridges, seeing if I could enter what looked like a hole, only to have my little dude smash into a wall and bounce around real strange like.

I loved that stage where you just jumped off the edge of a massive cliff, falling and trying to collect the ring things. Oh yes, I'd love to see a new one. And if they're now 3rd party, it'll most likely be on all 3 systems. Mmmm, fun for everyone!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2003, 01:38:37 PM »
For all of you wondering who nows owns Pilotwings I'm pretty sure it's Nintendo.  As far as I know Paradigm only made PW64.  The original was made by Nintendo themselves.  Therefore it's entirely up to Nintendo whether they want to release a new Pilotwings.

Personally I doubt they will.  The original game was made to show off the SNES' Mode 7 effects and the N64 game's appeal relied a lot on the then newness of full 3D environments.  Any new Pilotwings won't be able to have the same "WOW" factor of the other games.  Both games were launch titles designed to show off the new hardware.  Such a title is not needed on the Gamecube at this point in its life.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2003, 03:48:18 PM »
Oh, the memories of Pilotwings 64.

I think the most annoying one was the jumping one.
Jumping from LA to New York in Little States was a pain.

And I agree. Birdman was the coolest. Little States was the best here. I remember the first time playing it, and going all the way from San Francisco to New York, then flying to Mt Rushmore, and screaming out "Wow! It's so real!"
Then I played it last year, went to New York, and saw the World Trade Centers, then laughed.
And since we're on the subject of Pilotwings, does anyone know what the point of that Star is in the park in New York? You land on it, and then a cymbal sound plays. What does it do?

The music in Birdman was sooooo soothing. I recorded it, and it was my relaxation music when studying. It was quite good for midi. Same with the music when you're hang gliding.

It was always funny when you're flying (Birdman of Hang Gliding) then you crash into a smokestack or something, and the characters just scream at the top of their lungs. I loved that. Really funny.

OH! I FORGOT TO MENTION THE CANNONS! AH THE CANNONS!
Didn't you love the carnival/circus music on that? hahaha!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Nintendo/Paradigm/Infogrames/Hudson need to make a new one.
I can't imagine the bliss of having an ultra-realistic Pilotwings.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2003, 10:25:07 PM »
I would love to see another Pilotwings.  I actually got perfect scores in EVERYTHING on N64 like 3 times.  I loved that game to death.  It was my first N64 game too.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean