Author Topic: Zelda WW = OoT 100 years later ?  (Read 14728 times)

Offline BoB007

• Secret undercover Bob or something
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Zelda WW = OoT 100 years later ?
« on: April 02, 2003, 06:00:56 AM »
~*~*~*~SPOILERS~*~*~~*~*  --- i think

In the beggining of WW, it said that it is 100 years after the hero of time saved hyrule ( OoT ) or something in that manner. Well, when i was playing, i found that alot of the islands resembled places in OoT. For example, the first dungeon you go to has the dragon from OoT ontop of what seems to be death mountain. And there is also the Deku Tree and and the whale ( Jabu Jabu ? ) from OoT ( all located on different mountains of course ). And the tower of gods ( the temple you have to beat in order to get the master sword ) slightly resembles Hyrule Castle .... kinda.My friend is the one that actually pointed this out to me. Could the lands of WW be Hyrule 100 years later? Just with alot .. .. er TONS of water.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 07:06:45 AM »
keep playing. your questions will be answered.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 07:19:01 AM »
Actually, there's a part that seems to remark that OoT was hundreds of years ago, so I'm quite curious now.  I thought it was a bit too much for 100 years, so maybe there's no way to tell how much time has taken place.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 10:04:41 AM »
Well from multiple things stated in the game I think the amount of time between Ocarina and Wind Waker is much much longer than 100 years. Maybe more like a thousand or so years.

Spoilers...

For one thing the King tells Zelda that the Triforce of Wisdom had been handed down for AGES in the Royal Family. This means that there was already a great deal of time between Ocarina and when the actual flood started. Also the Hyrule Castle you go to in Wind Waker is not the same one from Ocarina. For one thing that castle was destroyed by Ganondorf so he could build his tower. Now I don't know how long it would take to build a castle but I'm sure it would take a very long time. That is of course if they didn't use magic to build it anyway. Also I do not think that the Wind Waker castle is in the same location as the Ocarina castle. When they show that shot of the castle when you first go down to Hyrule I assumed that they had filled the lava pit that Ganon's tower was hovering over with water and then built the new Hyrule Castle on an island in it. However when you go outside and onto the bridge and look around you can see that it is in fact a river not just a lake or pond and that Hyrule Castle is just at the end of that river. All this points to the fact that there is probably a very long period of time between the end of Ocarina and when the flooding occurred.

So how much time is there between the flooding and Wind Waker? Again there is probably more than just a 100 years. The King says that HUNDREDS OF YEARS passed between the flooding and what was going on now. Hundreds of years makes more sense because the majority of people seem to have forgotten about what happened to bring on the flood and even earlier events than that. While some people remember bits and pieces about the Hero of Time it's still pretty much considered a legend and people seem to know even less about the flooding. I don't think that anyone even knows that there was a flood since most everyone acts like that's how things have always been. Maybe there's even more than just hundreds of years. Thousands of years would make even more sense.      
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 10:33:13 AM »
SPOILERS

Gibdo: I noticed all of those references, too, about the difference between OoT and WW being much more than 100 years (especially since if Medli, a bird like Rito, is the blood descendant of the Zora sage of the Earth temple- it would take MUCH lnoger than a century for a being to evolve that much), and since Link from OoT is already a legend, which takes lnoger to formulate than a mere 100 years. But if you look at the opening scene, it says that every 100 years a new hero is born, which heavily implies that the Link of WW is the next Link after the one in OoT, and the fact that they worship the Hero of Time so much means there haven't been any Links inbetween OoT and WW, placing WW 100 years after OoT. Very confusing.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2003, 10:57:59 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
SPOILERS

Gibdo: I noticed all of those references, too, about the difference between OoT and WW being much more than 100 years (especially since if Medli, a bird like Rito, is the blood descendant of the Zora sage of the Earth temple- it would take MUCH lnoger than a century for a being to evolve that much), and since Link from OoT is already a legend, which takes lnoger to formulate than a mere 100 years. But if you look at the opening scene, it says that every 100 years a new hero is born, which heavily implies that the Link of WW is the next Link after the one in OoT, and the fact that they worship the Hero of Time so much means there haven't been any Links inbetween OoT and WW, placing WW 100 years after OoT. Very confusing.
First of all the Rito didn't evolve. In the game it is mentioned that Valoo changed them and started giving them their wings long ago. Also it does not say that a new hero is born every 100 years in the intro. Where in the hell did you get that from?

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 07:42:39 AM »
SPOILERS AHEAD

So this is the timeline we know so far:

--- OCARINA OF TIME - Ganandorf's first appearance/ Link locks him up.
--- Ganandorf breaks free/Hyrule is flooded to hide the castle.
--- "hundreds of years... ages" pass.
--- WIND WAKER - Link #2 arrives.

I'm a bit confused.  Is Ganandorf immortal?  He would have to be to live hundreds of years.

Troy  

Offline BoB007

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 08:04:02 AM »
Im guessing that when you get sealed away, you dont age.  

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 08:09:53 AM »
Ganondorf remains alive because of the Triforce of Power - which he doesn't lose until the original Zelda game from NES. This is why the first two games will always be at the end of the timeline.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2003, 10:51:30 AM »
"Also it does not say that a new hero is born every 100 years in the intro. Where in the hell did you get that from?"

It said that in he opening! Besides being a well known legend in Zelda games (or at least I thought it was well known), I distinctly remember in the opening scene of Wind Waker (where they explained the backstory, aka Ocarina of Time), they said that a new hero arises to face evil every 100 years. That's why the King of Red Lions was so interested in the Link in Wind Waker, because he very well could be the next true Link.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline faile'

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2003, 11:24:04 AM »
I always thought Zelda was the princess' name, but is that merely a position?  Or, do they believe in reincarnation?  I'm confused about Tetra/Zelda.  
- Like all things sacred - it gives with one hand and takes with the other - Dune Trilogy

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2003, 11:36:53 AM »
Reincarnation.

::::::Spoilers""""""""

Ganon told Link that he was really the reincarnation of the Hero of Time. And the ever 100 years reference in OoT wasn't for a hero to rise up. It was how long it takes for a male to be born into the Thieve's Races. (I forgot the real name it begins with a G)

And yes the Rito are decendent of the Zora people. Because the Zora said the blood line still surrvives which happened to be the Rito. Valo did have something to do with it, but it sounds like they had taken to land long before they were given wings. The Kokri race also changed in that time to look more forest being like. (Simular to what happened to the Lumber Jacks in LttP when Gannon took the Golden Land.)

Its been hundreds of years since the flood and even longer since the Hero of Time left Hyrule. (I kind of found it funny that they called the Triforce, golden forks.) That means it was so long they even forgot the orginal Gods that forged the land and their legacy.

As for the Tetra/Zelda thing, she was the decendent of Zelda and carried the Triforce of Wisdom so in essence so carried the title of Princess Zelda.

As for the Triforce of Power, Wisdom, and Courage I think it was covered in Lttp. But don't they return to the Golden Land now that someone made a wish on it. Meaning that the impailed Gannon, who denounced the Triforce at the end, doesn't have it.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2003, 12:30:39 PM »
"It was how long it takes for a male to be born into the Thieve's Races. (I forgot the real name it begins with a G)"

Yes, it is ALSO a legend that a male is born to the Gerudo tribe every 100 years, but it's also ANOTHER legend that a new hero will arise to fight evil every 100 years.

Offline McDubJr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2003, 01:49:40 PM »

Yes, it is ALSO a legend that a male is born to the Gerudo tribe every 100 years, but it's also ANOTHER legend that a new hero will arise to fight evil every 100 years.

No, it is not another legend that a hero is born every 100 years.  You imagined that.  It is not in the beginning of the Wind Waker, that much is for sure.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2003, 02:12:29 PM »
"No, it is not another legend that a hero is born every 100 years. You imagined that. It is not in the beginning of the Wind Waker, that much is for sure."

Don't tell me what I imagined! OK, maybe it wasn't in the Wind Waker opening (I SWEAR it was mentioned officially recently, though), but it IS a legend that every 100 years a hero arises to fight evil. That much I know, so don't go telling me I imagined. Obviously you don't know much about the Zelda mythos if you're claiming it's fake, or at least that I "imagined" it. I'm pretty sure it was in something like the LttP instruction book, but it IS true, whether you've heard of it or not, McDub.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2003, 02:41:18 PM »
No, it isn't true.  It's a video game.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2003, 02:47:36 PM »
GOD @#%*&!!! I swear to god- none of you must be hardcore Zelda fans because I KNOW somewhere it is said that every 100 years a new Link comes to fight evil. That's how the whole multiple Link theory got started!!! Everyone would've just assumed it was the same Link over and over again if that legend hadn't come up!

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2003, 05:02:16 PM »
Mouse Clicker you are WRONG. People came up with the multiple Link theory because they noticed that in each game there seemed to be a new Link because each game presented itself as being Link's first adventure. This theory started with A Link to the Past when in the game it seems as though Link meet Zelda for the first time even though they had already met in two previous games. No where has it ever been stated in the games or manuals that a new Link is born every 100 years.

Yes, I am a hardcore Zelda fan. I have read all the manuals and played and beaten most of the games with the exception of Master Quest and Four Swords making sure to read all the dialog and no where have I ever read anything about a new Link being born every 100 years. It's obvious to me that you are making this up Mouse Clicker. First you try to say it's in the Wind Waker intro when that's complete BS but you are the one telling us we aren't hard core. This thing with the Wind Waker intro is really amazing to me. There isn't even anything in the intro or the rest of the game that you could misunderstand and think it said that a new Link is born every 100 years and yet you try to say it's there? I agree with McDubJr that you imagined the whole thing. Oh, and it isn't mentioned in the Link to the Past manual. Here's a thought why don't you sit down and watch the Wind Waker intro and read the A Link to the Past manual before telling us all how wrong we are. And the only person who knows about this "legend" is you.

I distinctly remember in the opening scene of Wind Waker (where they explained the backstory, aka Ocarina of Time), they said that a new hero arises to face evil every 100 years.
Yes, you distinctly remember something that you imagined while high.  

Offline McDubJr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2003, 06:44:49 PM »

"No, it is not another legend that a hero is born every 100 years. You imagined that. It is not in the beginning of the Wind Waker, that much is for sure."

Don't tell me what I imagined! OK, maybe it wasn't in the Wind Waker opening (I SWEAR it was mentioned officially recently, though), but it IS a legend that every 100 years a hero arises to fight evil. That much I know, so don't go telling me I imagined. Obviously you don't know much about the Zelda mythos if you're claiming it's fake, or at least that I "imagined" it. I'm pretty sure it was in something like the LttP instruction book, but it IS true, whether you've heard of it or not, McDub.

Listen mouse.  Please don't tell me I don't know much about Zelda mythos.  I was probably playing LOZ before you were born

Anyways, you can believe anything you want, as long as you don't mind beliving imaginary things...  But please, if you wish to furnish some proof to prove me wrong, be my guest.    

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2003, 08:03:39 PM »

Q: The beginning of the game talks about Link getting the green clothes and the passing down of the history, the hero dressed in green, etc. How many different Links are there? This doesn't seem like that was in Ocarina of Time, for example.

Aonuma-san: In our opinions, with the Legend of Zelda, every game has a new Link. A new hero named Link always rises to fight evil.

A new Link appears when there is evil. The amount of time is not a factor.

The 100 years is a male gerudo is born.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2003, 09:18:01 PM »
The closest thing I have ever read to what Mouse Clicker is saying is what the maiden in the Skull Woods Palace said.

MAIDEN IN SKULL WOODS PALACE:
...Do you know the prophecy of the Great Cataclysm?
This is the way I heard it...
If a person who has an evil heart gets the Triforce, a Hero is destined to appear...
...and he alone must face the person who began the Great Cataclysm.
If the evil one destroys the Hero, nothing can save the world from his wicked reign.
Only a person of the Knights Of Hyrule, who protected the royalty of Hylia, can become the Hero...  You are of their blood-line, aren't you? Then you must rescue
Zelda without fail.
Here's some more that refers to the Great Cataclysm:

INSCRIPTION ON MASTER SWORD PEDESTAL:
The Hero's triumph on Cataclysm's Eve
Wins three symbols of virtue.
The Master Sword he will then retrieve,
Keeping the Knight's line true.
Like I said this is the closest thing I could find to what Mouse Clicker was talking about but guess what. It says nothing about this occurring every 100 years. In fact it backs up what Mingesium said. It simply says that whenever an evil person gets a hold of the Triforce that a new hero will appear. It doesn't matter whether it's been a hundred or a thousand years since the last hero was around it only matters that there's some bad dude around and that the world needs a hero to stop him.    

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2003, 02:21:38 AM »

GOD @#%*&!!! I swear to god- none of you must be hardcore Zelda fans because I KNOW somewhere it is said that every 100 years a new Link comes to fight evil. ...
Mouse_clicker, can you do us a favor?

CALM DOWN.

After you do that, please (notice the politeness)... please do the following two things:
(1) Turn on Wind Waker and just sit and watch the opening.  Does it say there anything about 100 years?  No.

(2) Load up your emulators, play Link to the Past and Legend of Zelda, and take a screenshot of where it says there's a hero every 100 years.  You see, it's one thing to THINK the game says something... it's entirely different to provide proof.  Show us the money...er, proof.  THEN we'll profusely apologize and admit you were right.

BTW, I'll be playing Link to the Past next week, so if I spot anything in reference to "a hero every 100 years" I will take a screenshot.
Troy

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2003, 04:52:33 AM »

http://cube.ign.com/articles/379/379358p2.html

is it possible that this is what you are remembering mouse_clicker?
nowhere do i remember it saying a new hero rises up every 100 years and i've finished every zelda (except the cd-i ones) AND used to fantasize about zelda before bed... wait... scratch that.  
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2003, 07:22:15 AM »
(Spoiler at the end of Paragraph)

I own all of the Zeldas and beaten each one and dowled out all of each game's secrets, the only thing that comes close is a Guardo male child being born every 100 years and they would lead the race. They weren't nessarily evil, one of them was the Sage, it was just that Gannon was evil and he wanted the cool winds of Hyrule, since the desert winds only brought death.  
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline BoB007

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2003, 08:33:30 AM »
WTF .... stop bustin MouseClickers balls .... You guys are looking WAAAYYY too into this ..