Author Topic: Sequel?  (Read 10859 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Sequel?
« on: February 03, 2008, 05:31:02 PM »
Not to get ahead of ourselves since the game hasn't been released outside of Japan, but do you believe that Brawl will be the last Smash Bros. game? Personally, I'd say yes and no.

I expect Brawl to be the last Smash Bros. game, but I doubt Nintendo will let the concept die. Bringing a bunch of recognizable characters together in any genre is Nintendo's bread and butter. Smash is Sakurai's baby and he seems ready to let it go and move on which is why he left Hal Labs in the first place. And due to Iwata immense respect for Sakurai, I can see him obliging Sakurai and laying the Smash Bros. series to rest.

Still, I can see Nintendo making a spiritual sequel to Smash Bros. I'd bet a Nintendo vs. third parties kind of game. It might sound like wishful thinking, but honestly, everyone knows how much money that would make and that'd really be the motivation behind the whole thing. A new series with similar gameplay to Smash Bros. handled by a new director is entirely possible and probable.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
RE: Sequel?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 06:26:35 PM »
If Nintendo likes making giant pools of money (which they undoubtedly do) there'll be a 4th Smash Bros. on Wii2.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:54:38 PM »
A better question would be, is Sakurai going to make it.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 05:03:41 AM »
I'd bet on one per system, yes. There may be a DS version/spinoff this generation.  

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Sequel?
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 05:17:59 AM »

Originally posted by: LuigiHann
I'd bet on one per system, yes. There may be a DS version/spinoff this generation.

I hope not. It's the appearance of Mario Kart on consoles and handhelds that diluted my interest for the series eventually. Jump Super Stars can be the handheld equivalent if they like.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Homsar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 11:29:35 PM »
So is there any chance that Sakurai would have trained someone to be his successor during Brawl's production? Sort of like how Miyamoto trained Aonuma to the point where he could hand off the Zelda series. Sort of.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 04:16:23 PM »
Sequel?  Definitely not.  They've ruined all there is to Nintendo and classic gaming.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 02:12:49 PM »
Probably not and I'd say Sakurai probably won't direct a sequel/successor to Smash Bros. He wants to move on and i think he should.

Without Sakurai at the helm, I'd expect a strictly multiplayer focused game, like Miyamoto wanted. No more adventure mode. I always wanted a more fleshed out adventure mode in Smash Bros., but from a variety of sources, it seems like The Subspace Emissary is pretty weak. Maybe Miyamoto was right (isn't he almost always?). I guess we'll see.

A multiplayer focused game ultimately guarantees significantly more characters and stages than Brawl.... which so many people seem so utterly disappointed in with Brawl. But how much would be enough? Probably nothing would be enough for some people. Oh well. I do think that a sequel/successor to Smash Bros. will be more industry wide. There weren't any blatant absences in Brawl. We did finally get Wario. However, with only 2 guests, I still find it odd that Sora/Game Arts had to settle for an extra Fox clone and fake-Ness. Did they really run out of viable Nintendo characters or were they just lazy? I always thought Smash Bros. would have been fine as a Nintendo only game, that Nintendo's history was rich enough that they didn't need third party characters joining the mix. I guess I was wrong.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
Probably not and I'd say Sakurai probably won't direct a sequel/successor to Smash Bros. He wants to move on and i think he should.

Without Sakurai at the helm, I'd expect a strictly multiplayer focused game, like Miyamoto wanted. No more adventure mode. I always wanted a more fleshed out adventure mode in Smash Bros., but from a variety of sources, it seems like The Subspace Emissary is pretty weak. Maybe Miyamoto was right (isn't he almost always?). I guess we'll see.

A multiplayer focused game ultimately guarantees significantly more characters and stages than Brawl.... which so many people seem so utterly disappointed in with Brawl. But how much would be enough? Probably nothing would be enough for some people. Oh well. I do think that a sequel/successor to Smash Bros. will be more industry wide. There weren't any blatant absences in Brawl. We did finally get Wario. However, with only 2 guests, I still find it odd that Sora/Game Arts had to settle for an extra Fox clone and fake-Ness. Did they really run out of viable Nintendo characters or were they just lazy? I always thought Smash Bros. would have been fine as a Nintendo only game, that Nintendo's history was rich enough that they didn't need third party characters joining the mix. I guess I was wrong.

They won't do this because, whatever the net denizens think of them, the single-player modes are an essential selling point so the franchise does not come off as Mario Party-esque.

I still believe they won't release another Smash Bros. on the Wii (why cannibalize sales from the first one), but will release a portable version for the DS. When the Wii 2 comes around, I'll bet they'll be able to get Sakurai back, though who knows. Let's just...not get ahead of ourselves here.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 03:08:20 PM »

but from a variety of sources, it seems like The Subspace Emissary is pretty weak

That's the complete opposite of what I've heard.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 03:10:45 PM »
The idea behind Smash Bros. (a fighting game with instantly recognizable characters) is its main selling point. People see a game with Mario and Link on the cover and they're bound to take a second glance. Regardless, I meant that without Sakurai, we probably won't see anything to the degree of the Subspace Emissary. He was the one who really pushed for a more fleshed out single player game and with him out of the director's chair, I think Nintendo, knowing that multiplayer is the strongest aspect of the series, would ultimately choose to put even more emphasis on that.

I don't think a DS version is in the works though it may have been in consideration. The screens are too small. I can't imagine the experience being anywhere near the same.

Dirk Temporo wrote:

I don't want to judge it before playing it, especially since a deeper Adventure Mode with a storyline is something I've been hoping for since Melee came out. I've read that it gets repetitive and that its very much akin to a button masher. Only about a month to go until I find out for sure.....

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 05:02:57 PM »

The idea behind Smash Bros. (a fighting game with instantly recognizable characters) is its main selling point. People see a game with Mario and Link on the cover and they're bound to take a second glance. Regardless, I meant that without Sakurai, we probably won't see anything to the degree of the Subspace Emissary. He was the one who really pushed for a more fleshed out single player game and with him out of the director's chair, I think Nintendo, knowing that multiplayer is the strongest aspect of the series, would ultimately choose to put even more emphasis on that.

I don't think a DS version is in the works though it may have been in consideration. The screens are too small. I can't imagine the experience being anywhere near the same.

Dirk Temporo wrote:

I don't want to judge it before playing it, especially since a deeper Adventure Mode with a storyline is something I've been hoping for since Melee came out. I've read that it gets repetitive and that its very much akin to a button masher. Only about a month to go until I find out for sure.....

No, they know the multiplayer aspect is the most well-known, so why would they push the obvious trait of the very popular games? They include the single player modes to add "depth", which they do. Whether they'd be as extensive with Sakurai is debatable, but there'd be one in some form no matter what, I'll bet you that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 06:07:32 PM »
Allow me to clarify. Single player is bound to exist. I don't doubt that classic and maybe all-star mode would return. Rather, like I said earlier, "without Sakurai, we probably won't see anything to the degree of the Subspace Emissary" again.  The reason is simple: People don't buy Smash Bros. for single player. It's nice to have and I'm glad they went the extra mile with the adventure mode, but ask any Smash Bros. fan and I'd bet that most of them would have taken more characters, stages, and other multiplayer options over the Subspace Emissary. Things like extra stages and characters can be fun for years, while after playing through adventure mode a few times, if not just once, many are likely to never touch it again.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 08:19:48 AM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

--Bureau of Internet Morality
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:27:44 AM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 09:22:57 AM »

These must be the same people that think that the SSB mechanic itself is a button masher, thus their opinions are moot...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 10:06:48 AM »
Yeah, when you get down to it, all fighting games involve button-mashing to some degree. Were you expecting some math involved? You're just punching and kicking the other guy, and in this game's case, you may be throwing fireballs at him.  

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 01:51:44 PM »

Bill Aurion wrote:
These must be the same people that think that the SSB mechanic itself is a button masher, thus their opinions are moot...

I would've said the same, except that the impressions I've read praised the multiplayer so it's not the gameplay mechanics that are the problem. The button mashing comments have been tied specifically to The Subspace Emissary. Is it really so hard to believe that the single player mode could be repetitive?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 02:08:11 PM »
Not any more repetitive than the SSB gameplay mechanic itself gets, which is, not very...The "problem" with the SSE has been that some people (read: not very bright people) thought it would be a completely different experience, while people who had common-sense realized that it was just a platforming version of SSB with tons of fan service thrown in for good measure, which I have absolutely no qualms with...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Not any more repetitive than the SSB gameplay mechanic itself gets, which is, not very...The "problem" with the SSE has been that some people (read: not very bright people) thought it would be a completely different experience, while people who had common-sense realized that it was just a platforming version of SSB with tons of fan service thrown in for good measure, which I have absolutely no qualms with...

I won't say SSE is repetitive, I'm hopeful it's not, but your logic is flawed here. For example, take the roster from Street Fighter 2 and slap them into a "side game" where you just fight enemies that are equivalent to the standard, lowest variety, adversaries from Final Fight... I could see that being repetitive regardless of how the fighters themselves are or how fun the "main game" might be.

SSE looks diverse, though, but to point to the multiplayer "main game" as to being similar in terms of how repetitive the gameplay might get doesn't seem like an appropriate statement. For example, the fun one has beating up level "1" CPUs in is totally different for some than going up against "9" level CPUs... so I don't think the SSE is "immune" to perhaps not being up to snuff regardless of expectations.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 05:42:04 AM »
The stage wouldn't scroll with a decent pace if you had to stop and fight lvl9 enemies constantly.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 06:20:15 AM »
From what I've heard it sounds like there may be a need for a .5 version.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 06:26:44 AM »
RECALL

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 06:59:07 AM »
Guitar Hero didn't and it's a music game with MONO Sound Hello 50's
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 07:26:18 AM »
If Sakurai decides not to come back, I think they'll do something along the lines of what Iwata said might have happened with Brawl. They'll update the graphics to the (hopefully good) level of the Wii 2 (or whatever) and beef up the online functionality, maybe also a few tweaks to the characters (The good news: Ganondorf isn't a clone anymore. The bad news: he has a Landmaster).
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 08:04:12 AM »
he is a Landmaster

handmaster

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Sequel?
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 08:12:48 PM »
I think Brawl will not be the last Smash Brothers.  I know that Iwata talked about how the franchise can't go on forever by just adding more characters to the game...at the same time, Nintendo can't let such a lucrative franchise disappear by not creating a sequel.

What I could see happen is that Nintendo takes the basic design of Smash Brothers, and creates a radically different Smash Brothers game of some kind.  I don't know what that would look like, but I can't wait to find out.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 06:27:30 PM »
My predictions:

-The next Smash Bros will be on DS. The number of characters, modes, and stages will be much lower, but it'll feel like a more rounded package because of it. See MarioKart DS compared to Double Dash, for instance. Character count will be around 20,

-The next console Smash Bros won't happen until the next Nintendo console... but it will come out earlier in that console's life than Brawl or Melee.
-Final Smashes will be more or less the same.
-Krystal will be a playable character. She will be the most unique Fox clone yet. The other Fox clones will still be there, but with even more variety.
-Ganondorf will finally get a moveset overhaul, and although the basics (and most of his standard attacks) will still be set in his Brawl version, his special moves will be based heavily on his attacks from whatever is the most recent Zelda game at the time.
-Megaman will be playable. He will not have Kirby-like absorption of others' moves. He will have a Samus-like (or perhaps Game&Watch-like) collection of attacks taken from various robot masters for his standard and special attacks. He will be the only new 3rd party playable character.
-Sonic and Snake will be back.
-There will be new assist trophies from Sega, Konami, and Capcom, outside of the franchises represented by playable characters.
-There will be more assist trophies than playable characters. Several will be 2D.
-Some of Brawl's assist trophies will be turned into playable characters.

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 07:25:01 PM »
Mario Kart DS had way more stages than Double Dash did, and the things that made up for less characters were ROB and better handling.

I also doubt Krystal would be in a Smash Bros. 4. Why would she become more important to Nintendo in the next couple years than she is now? Also, I wouldn't assume they'll be going for third-parties next time either.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 07:26:36 PM »
As if ROB was ever important.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 07:33:53 PM »
If it's like Mario Kart DS to DD.  I think we see are first game that truly leverages SD technology, aka 8 gigs.

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 09:53:58 PM »
As if ROB was ever important.

He's ALWAYS important. Sega remembered to put him in F-Zero GX, that's important.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 11:51:44 PM »
As if Sega and F-Zero GX were ever important.

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 01:55:38 AM »
As if Sega and F-Zero GX were ever important.

Bah, Daisy wasn't even important enough to be anything more than a palette swap for Peach.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 12:17:22 PM »
>"The next console Smash Bros won't happen until the next Nintendo console... but it will come out earlier in that console's life than Brawl or Melee."

Ummm... Melee came out like, what, two weeks after the GameCube did?  How much earlier do you want it?

Anyway, here's a crazy idea...  Who would buy a "DX" Smash Bros. Brawl this generation?  Basically, take Brawl, remove the single player modes so that you're left with online and local multi-player.  Now, throw in every single stage from the N64 version, Melee, and Brawl, along with the ability to import your custom stages from Brawl (or make new stages) and play them online against friends.  Now, add in every single character that's missing from Melee (Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, etc...)  Perhaps another new character or two and a small handful of new stages (perhaps some of the "best of the best" user submitted stages from Brawl with a cleaner makeover)...  Now, price this package around $30.

It lets Nintendo rape the franchise a little more while not putting a lot of effort into it - reusing the same engine I'm sure they paid Sora LTD out the wazoo to create.  It helps address the "not enough characters/levels" issue while bringing back all the characters and levels everyone misses from the older games.  And it'd be budget priced, which is always good. :)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2008, 12:43:52 PM »
Unclebob:  Why would you take out the Single Player mode though?  I guess take out subspace Emissary, but keep a Classic Mode and All Star Battle.  But I would say I would take out the ability to create a stage modes and keep it more basic.

After saying that, I really don't like the idea.  I don't think we need more clones within the game to make it better, and I don't see why Nintendo needs to make a budget title for Smash, when Nintendo could just drop the price $10.00 and still sell a ton of copies as it is. 

If Nintendo was going to go this direction, then they would need to add 4-5 new characters that are completely worth a new purchase.  I am talking BIG NAME CHARACTERS...and possibly new third party characters.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2008, 01:27:17 PM »
I suppose leaving Classic/All Star wouldn't really take up much disc space.  I was looking for a way to take it off the dual layered disc.

As for clones - I want my Dr. Mario back.  But yeah, I wouldn't complain if more characters were added (Bomberman? :))
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2008, 02:40:35 PM »
Want to take it off the dual-layerd disc?  Get rid of all the bloated RPG-infected FMVs.  The movies total at 3.35 GB.  The game tops out at 7.1 GB.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2008, 04:55:02 PM »
So basically, we are trying to create a streamlined Brawl product for to be released a few years later after Brawl's success that focuses mainly on multiplayer aspect of the game, and less on the single player.

Well, here is what you do:

Elminate Subspace Emissary from the game.

Remove the ability to costum Create levels, however keep the ability to have those levels downloaded each day and play.  (This may sound weird, but it is more about keeping both games compatiable with features, but also keep Brawl the prefered game.)

Remove trophies, Stickers and other elements.

Keep All Star, Classic, and Event modes for Single player options, and add in completely new and different Event Battles to create a new experience for this version.

Add in more break the target levels, and bring back Board the Platform.  Make both playable online in both competive and co-operative modes.

I would not add in Nintendo 64 levels, instead I would create 10-12 new levels (Again, reason being is to create a difference between Brawl and this new game.)  These stages need to be really good...stages that have been neglected in the franchise.  Bowsers Castle is the first on the list.

Finally the game needs to have atleast 5 new characters, beyond clones.  Krystal, Mega Man, Tails, Drill Dozer, Midna and Wolf Link, Daisy.  Also, I would give Gannondorf and Toon Link a completely new moveset. 

Stll, even with all these changes I dunno if I would get the game...it would have to be budget priced.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2008, 05:32:14 PM »
I'd much rather have this kind of Wolf in the game

The one I saw on my door mat a couple years ago was nearly the diameter of a CD

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2008, 05:36:42 PM »
I'd much rather have this kind of Wolf in the game

The one I saw on my door mat a couple years ago was nearly the diameter of a CD

I don't live in an area with large spiders, but that is scary as ****.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2008, 05:43:08 PM »
Oh just think, I was about to STEP ON IT.  But I noticed a foreign blotch of brown in my vision that made me look down and stop dead in my tracks.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2008, 05:44:14 PM »
Oh just think, I was about to STEP ON IT.  But I noticed a foreign blotch of brown in my vision that made me look down and stop dead in my tracks.

I don't know what I would have done, but it wouldn't have been anything I would have ultimately enjoyed.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2008, 05:44:23 PM »
I can't see Nintendo releasing a special edition of Brawl. The amount of content some of you guys are suggesting is pretty excessive. Nintendo historically has had no problems releasing straight ports of old games, but they don't release updated versions of their games with extra content (the F-Zero X expansion for 64DD being the only quasi-exception I can think of) so I'm having a hard time believing they'd start now. A new Smash Bros. or Smash Bros.-like game will most likely not come out until the successor of the Wii launches.
I also doubt Krystal would be in a Smash Bros. 4. Why would she become more important to Nintendo in the next couple years than she is now?
If anything, I expect Krystal to be in the next Smash Bros. Like it or not, she's a major part of the Star Fox franchise now. If you want to argue character importance, I think there's a pretty strong case in favor of Krystal.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2008, 05:45:23 PM »
Fur sells.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2008, 05:57:32 PM »
Oh I know I am suggesting a lot of content for this quasi-sequel.  I also don't like the idea, so for Nintendo to sell me on it, they would HAVE to put a lot of content in the game.

Personally I would just Nintendo make Smash Bros 4. 

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2008, 05:58:31 PM »
If anything, I expect Krystal to be in the next Smash Bros. Like it or not, she's a major part of the Star Fox franchise now. If you want to argue character importance, I think there's a pretty strong case in favor of Krystal.

That's what everyone said about her for Brawl.

Anywhoo, I want the N64 levels.  They're awesome.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2008, 06:19:09 PM »
That's what everyone said about her for Brawl.
And Wario in Melee, but that didn't stop him from being in Brawl. Sure, Warioware took off in between both games, but Wario was still a major Nintendo character that got shafted, especially in favor of a total reject like Pichu.

I think roster additions are the result of development time. Who knows who/what got cut last year to make time for Sonic, who admittedly was a late entry?

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2008, 11:34:22 AM »
The reason I expect Krystal for SSB4 is because they've added a new Fox clone in each iteration, and I don't expect them to stop :p

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 05:41:23 PM »
I think they should drop Falco and just add Krystal.

As for a sequel you must ask yourself, are there characters that should have been included in this game?

Before you simply say yes, here are some requirements to think about.

A)Will the character be popular
B)Wll the character actually ADD gameplay elements to the game.
C)Can the character have a truly unique play experience, justifing that characters existance.

If you can come up with 8 more characters to add to the game, that truly fit those criteria we can move on to the next element on whether a new Brawl should be made.

Can we improve the experience?  (This is obviously yes...but let's catigorize)

A)Improvements to online play
B)Improvements to Character Balance
C)Improvements to Adventure and Classic Modes  (By the way Classic Mode Sucks in Brawl.)
D)Improvements to Stage Designs

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2008, 05:56:19 PM »
What's wrong with Classic in Brawl, it's practically the same thing as it was in Melee, and that same thing is excellent. Also I fully expect them to snub Krystal again and put in Leon instead.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2008, 06:30:21 PM »
Insanolord:  It just doesn't seem to have the variety as Melee had in its classic. 

No trophy game, no race to the finish, no board the platforms, none of the minigames that really break up the classic mode and make it work.

Beyond that, the randomness of the encounters is shot, and I feel like there is less variety.

Lets see I am going to fight a Zelda character first thing, a team battle, 2 giant battles...

I dunno it feels off to me.  Perhaps I am the only one.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2008, 06:42:46 PM »
You're not the only one.  Classic mode just feels too long to me.  Maybe another minigame to break it up would have helped.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 11:20:44 PM »
My sole complaint about Classic mode is that they don't include the Melee stages. It'd be nice to have the variety, and I'd much rather fight Team Ness in Onett than in NPC.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2008, 09:05:16 AM »
I wish it was totally random with Classic mode.  Only constants being: Master Hand at the end, Never playing characters you haven't unlocked, and the mini-game breaks.