Author Topic: Sequel?  (Read 10858 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Sequel?
« on: February 03, 2008, 05:31:02 PM »
Not to get ahead of ourselves since the game hasn't been released outside of Japan, but do you believe that Brawl will be the last Smash Bros. game? Personally, I'd say yes and no.

I expect Brawl to be the last Smash Bros. game, but I doubt Nintendo will let the concept die. Bringing a bunch of recognizable characters together in any genre is Nintendo's bread and butter. Smash is Sakurai's baby and he seems ready to let it go and move on which is why he left Hal Labs in the first place. And due to Iwata immense respect for Sakurai, I can see him obliging Sakurai and laying the Smash Bros. series to rest.

Still, I can see Nintendo making a spiritual sequel to Smash Bros. I'd bet a Nintendo vs. third parties kind of game. It might sound like wishful thinking, but honestly, everyone knows how much money that would make and that'd really be the motivation behind the whole thing. A new series with similar gameplay to Smash Bros. handled by a new director is entirely possible and probable.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
RE: Sequel?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 06:26:35 PM »
If Nintendo likes making giant pools of money (which they undoubtedly do) there'll be a 4th Smash Bros. on Wii2.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:54:38 PM »
A better question would be, is Sakurai going to make it.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 05:03:41 AM »
I'd bet on one per system, yes. There may be a DS version/spinoff this generation.  

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Sequel?
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 05:17:59 AM »

Originally posted by: LuigiHann
I'd bet on one per system, yes. There may be a DS version/spinoff this generation.

I hope not. It's the appearance of Mario Kart on consoles and handhelds that diluted my interest for the series eventually. Jump Super Stars can be the handheld equivalent if they like.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Homsar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 11:29:35 PM »
So is there any chance that Sakurai would have trained someone to be his successor during Brawl's production? Sort of like how Miyamoto trained Aonuma to the point where he could hand off the Zelda series. Sort of.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 04:16:23 PM »
Sequel?  Definitely not.  They've ruined all there is to Nintendo and classic gaming.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 02:12:49 PM »
Probably not and I'd say Sakurai probably won't direct a sequel/successor to Smash Bros. He wants to move on and i think he should.

Without Sakurai at the helm, I'd expect a strictly multiplayer focused game, like Miyamoto wanted. No more adventure mode. I always wanted a more fleshed out adventure mode in Smash Bros., but from a variety of sources, it seems like The Subspace Emissary is pretty weak. Maybe Miyamoto was right (isn't he almost always?). I guess we'll see.

A multiplayer focused game ultimately guarantees significantly more characters and stages than Brawl.... which so many people seem so utterly disappointed in with Brawl. But how much would be enough? Probably nothing would be enough for some people. Oh well. I do think that a sequel/successor to Smash Bros. will be more industry wide. There weren't any blatant absences in Brawl. We did finally get Wario. However, with only 2 guests, I still find it odd that Sora/Game Arts had to settle for an extra Fox clone and fake-Ness. Did they really run out of viable Nintendo characters or were they just lazy? I always thought Smash Bros. would have been fine as a Nintendo only game, that Nintendo's history was rich enough that they didn't need third party characters joining the mix. I guess I was wrong.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
Probably not and I'd say Sakurai probably won't direct a sequel/successor to Smash Bros. He wants to move on and i think he should.

Without Sakurai at the helm, I'd expect a strictly multiplayer focused game, like Miyamoto wanted. No more adventure mode. I always wanted a more fleshed out adventure mode in Smash Bros., but from a variety of sources, it seems like The Subspace Emissary is pretty weak. Maybe Miyamoto was right (isn't he almost always?). I guess we'll see.

A multiplayer focused game ultimately guarantees significantly more characters and stages than Brawl.... which so many people seem so utterly disappointed in with Brawl. But how much would be enough? Probably nothing would be enough for some people. Oh well. I do think that a sequel/successor to Smash Bros. will be more industry wide. There weren't any blatant absences in Brawl. We did finally get Wario. However, with only 2 guests, I still find it odd that Sora/Game Arts had to settle for an extra Fox clone and fake-Ness. Did they really run out of viable Nintendo characters or were they just lazy? I always thought Smash Bros. would have been fine as a Nintendo only game, that Nintendo's history was rich enough that they didn't need third party characters joining the mix. I guess I was wrong.

They won't do this because, whatever the net denizens think of them, the single-player modes are an essential selling point so the franchise does not come off as Mario Party-esque.

I still believe they won't release another Smash Bros. on the Wii (why cannibalize sales from the first one), but will release a portable version for the DS. When the Wii 2 comes around, I'll bet they'll be able to get Sakurai back, though who knows. Let's just...not get ahead of ourselves here.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 03:08:20 PM »

but from a variety of sources, it seems like The Subspace Emissary is pretty weak

That's the complete opposite of what I've heard.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 03:10:45 PM »
The idea behind Smash Bros. (a fighting game with instantly recognizable characters) is its main selling point. People see a game with Mario and Link on the cover and they're bound to take a second glance. Regardless, I meant that without Sakurai, we probably won't see anything to the degree of the Subspace Emissary. He was the one who really pushed for a more fleshed out single player game and with him out of the director's chair, I think Nintendo, knowing that multiplayer is the strongest aspect of the series, would ultimately choose to put even more emphasis on that.

I don't think a DS version is in the works though it may have been in consideration. The screens are too small. I can't imagine the experience being anywhere near the same.

Dirk Temporo wrote:

I don't want to judge it before playing it, especially since a deeper Adventure Mode with a storyline is something I've been hoping for since Melee came out. I've read that it gets repetitive and that its very much akin to a button masher. Only about a month to go until I find out for sure.....

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 05:02:57 PM »

The idea behind Smash Bros. (a fighting game with instantly recognizable characters) is its main selling point. People see a game with Mario and Link on the cover and they're bound to take a second glance. Regardless, I meant that without Sakurai, we probably won't see anything to the degree of the Subspace Emissary. He was the one who really pushed for a more fleshed out single player game and with him out of the director's chair, I think Nintendo, knowing that multiplayer is the strongest aspect of the series, would ultimately choose to put even more emphasis on that.

I don't think a DS version is in the works though it may have been in consideration. The screens are too small. I can't imagine the experience being anywhere near the same.

Dirk Temporo wrote:

I don't want to judge it before playing it, especially since a deeper Adventure Mode with a storyline is something I've been hoping for since Melee came out. I've read that it gets repetitive and that its very much akin to a button masher. Only about a month to go until I find out for sure.....

No, they know the multiplayer aspect is the most well-known, so why would they push the obvious trait of the very popular games? They include the single player modes to add "depth", which they do. Whether they'd be as extensive with Sakurai is debatable, but there'd be one in some form no matter what, I'll bet you that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 06:07:32 PM »
Allow me to clarify. Single player is bound to exist. I don't doubt that classic and maybe all-star mode would return. Rather, like I said earlier, "without Sakurai, we probably won't see anything to the degree of the Subspace Emissary" again.  The reason is simple: People don't buy Smash Bros. for single player. It's nice to have and I'm glad they went the extra mile with the adventure mode, but ask any Smash Bros. fan and I'd bet that most of them would have taken more characters, stages, and other multiplayer options over the Subspace Emissary. Things like extra stages and characters can be fun for years, while after playing through adventure mode a few times, if not just once, many are likely to never touch it again.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 08:19:48 AM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

--Bureau of Internet Morality
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:27:44 AM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 09:22:57 AM »

These must be the same people that think that the SSB mechanic itself is a button masher, thus their opinions are moot...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 10:06:48 AM »
Yeah, when you get down to it, all fighting games involve button-mashing to some degree. Were you expecting some math involved? You're just punching and kicking the other guy, and in this game's case, you may be throwing fireballs at him.  

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 01:51:44 PM »

Bill Aurion wrote:
These must be the same people that think that the SSB mechanic itself is a button masher, thus their opinions are moot...

I would've said the same, except that the impressions I've read praised the multiplayer so it's not the gameplay mechanics that are the problem. The button mashing comments have been tied specifically to The Subspace Emissary. Is it really so hard to believe that the single player mode could be repetitive?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 02:08:11 PM »
Not any more repetitive than the SSB gameplay mechanic itself gets, which is, not very...The "problem" with the SSE has been that some people (read: not very bright people) thought it would be a completely different experience, while people who had common-sense realized that it was just a platforming version of SSB with tons of fan service thrown in for good measure, which I have absolutely no qualms with...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Not any more repetitive than the SSB gameplay mechanic itself gets, which is, not very...The "problem" with the SSE has been that some people (read: not very bright people) thought it would be a completely different experience, while people who had common-sense realized that it was just a platforming version of SSB with tons of fan service thrown in for good measure, which I have absolutely no qualms with...

I won't say SSE is repetitive, I'm hopeful it's not, but your logic is flawed here. For example, take the roster from Street Fighter 2 and slap them into a "side game" where you just fight enemies that are equivalent to the standard, lowest variety, adversaries from Final Fight... I could see that being repetitive regardless of how the fighters themselves are or how fun the "main game" might be.

SSE looks diverse, though, but to point to the multiplayer "main game" as to being similar in terms of how repetitive the gameplay might get doesn't seem like an appropriate statement. For example, the fun one has beating up level "1" CPUs in is totally different for some than going up against "9" level CPUs... so I don't think the SSE is "immune" to perhaps not being up to snuff regardless of expectations.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 05:42:04 AM »
The stage wouldn't scroll with a decent pace if you had to stop and fight lvl9 enemies constantly.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 06:20:15 AM »
From what I've heard it sounds like there may be a need for a .5 version.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 06:26:44 AM »
RECALL

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 06:59:07 AM »
Guitar Hero didn't and it's a music game with MONO Sound Hello 50's
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 07:26:18 AM »
If Sakurai decides not to come back, I think they'll do something along the lines of what Iwata said might have happened with Brawl. They'll update the graphics to the (hopefully good) level of the Wii 2 (or whatever) and beef up the online functionality, maybe also a few tweaks to the characters (The good news: Ganondorf isn't a clone anymore. The bad news: he has a Landmaster).
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 08:04:12 AM »
he is a Landmaster

handmaster