Author Topic: Zero Punctuation  (Read 9216 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:21:53 PM by vudu »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE: Zero Punctuation
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 08:39:17 AM »
These get posted on Kotaku all the time. I'm not really crazy about them. They were funny at first, but more recently they just don't even garner a chuckle from me. Most of the crap he points out is the same stuff I have been complaining about for far longer than he has, and all humor in it is just gone (for me at least).
Check out PixlBit!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 08:42:12 AM »
But he does it with an awesome British/Aussie accent!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE:Zero Punctuation
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 08:46:16 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
But he does it with an awesome British/Aussie accent!

I will admit I love that accent...
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 11:56:42 AM »
Meh.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 12:19:15 PM »
If all reviews were like this I'd be less interested in the best game and more interested in the best complaints this guy can produce, like "FAGBALLS"

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 08:54:54 AM »
I think he's best when pointing out mistakes we haven't discussed to death. Otherwise I love it.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 11:34:28 AM »
I admit I loved the guy at first. I thought he was everything a sarcastic and witty reviewer should be; funny, clear, smart and honest. I love how he isn't afraid of trashing games the whole industry is crazy about. But after watching many of his videos his act gets old and comes off as yet another angry gamer show. But I still hold his stuff in high regards and would rather listen to him that stuff like the G4/X-play sketches and Angry gamer.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 02:37:32 PM »
I'm not sure if I've become tired of his bit, or his writing has diminished.  Either way, I'm much less excited about the Wednesday releases than I was only a month ago.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 03:38:12 PM »
Admit it, you guys stopped liking him because he started ragging on Nintendo games.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 07:13:48 PM »
ZELDA IS ABOVE REPROACH

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 04:18:42 AM »

Originally posted by: wandering
Admit it, you guys stopped liking him because he started ragging on Nintendo games.

Actually, I thought Super Paper Mario was pretty 'meh' so his review of it was spot on. And I don't care much for PH so his review of it doesn't bug me. However, it was more angry ranting than clever reviewing, even if what he said was right.

Oh but there will be a day in which he'll trash a game I cherish dearly and I'll stop watching him for good.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 07:19:13 AM »
Bump for the recently released Mario Galaxy review.  

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 09:32:17 AM »
Its official: Yahtzee definitely goes after games that have been hyped up like crazy and praised like it was the second coming of Christ in game form.

Just look at his recent reviews: Guitar Hero 3, Mass effect, Assassin's creed, Phantom Hourglass, Halo 3 and now Galaxy. All of these games have been, at one point, hyped to no end or has received numerous awards and glowing reviews.

I think he was a little off on his Galaxy review, though, and I'm not saying that simply because I loved the game. Its true that the controls feel gimmicky at times (especially on the extra planets with the rolling ball and the surfing manta ray) but he was exaggerating. If he thought the waggle in Galaxy was bad he should avoid Rayman and Mario & Sonic like they were the plague.

The game could've been done on the GC and with a GC controller, yes, but the game makes use of the Wii's pointing abilities (mainly the blue stars). Those levels would've been a pain to play through with just the joystick since they require precise pointing and quick maneuvering. So while Galaxy is not the definitive Wii game it can't be easily recreated on another system.

As for the gravity and camera, again, he was blowing it out of proportion. Its true that the camera does make it hard to see sometimes but there have been worse. The camera in Galaxy is actually one of the better ones. Again, if he thought Galaxy was bad he should get a load of games like Kingdom Hearts.

And really, he's the ONLY person to complain about the gravity effects being gimmicky. I thought that added a lot to the gameplay and made for some creative levels (especially on the final level). Plus, gravity has been tackled in other games before so I don't understand why he would consider it a gimmick and just makes him look like he's complaining for the sake of complaining.

I'm surprised that with all the bitching he did he didn't touch on the one issue every gamer has agreed on: how lineal the game is. Even I was caught by surprised at how the game grabs you by the hand and doesn't let go till the end. I personally didn't mind it but its an issue everyone has discussed and debated like crazy. So again, why didn't Yahtzee complain about that?

Finally, he ranted so much about Nintendo its like he has a personal vendetta against them. Yes, I am well aware that he doesn't exactly treat everyone kindly but at times it felt more like a rant against Nintendo than an actual review. Yes, Nintendo needs to create more new IPs. Yes, Nintendo needs to create more new ideas and yes the Mario spin offs can be overwhelming but it is worth being angry about it?

That said, I do agree with him that some of the bosses feel uninspired (mainly the Bowser ones) and moving around the queen bee did feel weird but overall he was grasping for straws in places.  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 10:05:50 AM »
Yahztee is great fun as a devil's advocate and counter-weight to public opinion. That's why I was so disappointed in his Portal review. I go to Yahtzee for dissenting opinion because he'll say when the emperor has no clothes on... even if the emperor is well dressed, &P.

Edit:

Y'all are crazy. His Mario Galaxy interview is GREAT. I laughed so much.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 10:36:26 AM »
Ya'll? Hey give me a little more credit, Kairon! I was the one that criticized the review!

I do agree that he makes for a great devil's advocate. Like I said, all the games he has reviewed has been games that the masses have embraced to no end. Sometimes he is VERY spot on, other times he seems to ramble on and on.

I know its all an act, but simply because he's being funny it doesn't mean he is expressing opinion, and an opinion can be debated. Kinda like the Angry Videogame Nerd. Even if he drops a lot of f-bombs it doesn't change the fact that he makes good points about some games.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 10:43:52 AM »
He makes good points and he makes bad points, but his value is entertainment first and edification second. Viewed in that light, we can't really criticize him for going after well known titles can we?

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 10:47:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
He makes good points and he makes bad points, but his value is entertainment first and edification second. Viewed in that light, we can't really criticize him for going after well known titles can we?

I admit that I take Yahtzee more seriously than most comedy based reviews, so to me his opinion comes first, the entertainment comes second.

Its just different priorities I guess .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 10:50:11 AM »
My first priority is to laugh! Hahaha! Then my next priority is to learn. Hmmmm....

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Re: Zero Punctuation
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 02:23:51 PM »
Haha the latest (SSB:B) refers to being that guy. thatguy, Yahtzee officially hates you, stop beating everyone at video games!

I thought his review was funny, but it doesn't seem like he really cares for fighting games or the Smash series to begin with, so it seemed pretty shallow to me, missing on many of the points about Brawl that are worth ripping on it about.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:46:51 PM by Mr. Jack »
Check out PixlBit!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 02:26:48 PM »
I disagreed with a lot of it.  Yeah, there's a lot of crazy, out there stuff in Brawl, but when you find the stages and items you love, it's great.

I agree completely about the Subspace Emissary, except I don't think it makes you much better at the game, really.  I guess you could say it gets you familiar with most of the characters.

Anyways, I am that guy.  Except when my friends get better than me at something.  I'll waste you in Guitar Hero, too.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »
Yea!  Someone's paying attention to my thread.  Did you notice I've actually been updating the first post every week since November?  :D

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 02:42:37 PM »
I think ZP seems to have not played the game enough or never liked Smash Brothers games.  He can have my middle finger for being such an asshole about that game.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 02:53:43 PM »
Not one of his better reviews.  It sounds like he just wrote it off because he doesn't like fighters, ignoring the fact that Smash Bros. is like the fighting game for people who don't like traditional fighters.
GOREGASM!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 09:32:51 PM »
So, are we saying the review suck because its poorly made and the opinions don't make sense, or are we saying the review sucks for the sole fact that its bashing Smash Bros.?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer