Author Topic: Clones  (Read 13667 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Clones
« on: November 08, 2007, 05:55:15 PM »
Do you want to see clones in Brawl?

As I mentioned in the other thread, Brawl already has more individual newcomers than Melee and chances are there will be more. Melee had 14 newcomers (including Sheik), 6 were "clones" of which 5 were clones of veterans from the original. Brawl, alternatively, has 11 newcomers (including both Zero Suit Samus and fake-Ness aka Lucas) thus far (or 12 if you count the previously unofficially announced Ganondorf).

I wouldn't mind seeing "clone" characters, though I say so cautiously. Artificially inflating the roster is a concern though that may not be a problem. I'm assuming that every non-clone character (plus a brand new non-clone Ganondorf) will be in Brawl. That sets the roster at over 30 so far which isn't bad considering none are clones. Additionally, I expect a few more individual, unique newcomers. Since there are more newcomers, I don't feel as if the roster is deceptively larger than it actually is.

I think clones can work if they actually feel significantly different. Adjusting weight/speed/size/strength is one thing though also changing a move or two could work at making similar movesets feel a bit more unique. If the "clones" were more along the lines of Luigi to Mario as opposed to Dr. Mario to Mario, I think it'd work better. I wasn't very satisfied with how "clones" worked in Melee.

On a side note, I think Tails and Knuckles could work as "clones" of Sonic. Adjust attributes and moves such as the up special move (Tails-->fly, Knuckles-->glide) for example, and there you have 2 additional characters. I know some people aren't fans of Sonic or his pals, but I still wouldn't say no to more characters, especially if balanced correctly. With Brawl having a a good number of unique newcomers, I wouldn't mind "clone" characters at all.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Clones
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:58:53 PM »
ATTACK OF THE
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:04:20 PM »
As far as clones go, I'm fine with them.  If nearly all new characters announced were clones, that would be fine with me, so long as they are slightly more different than Dr. Mario and Mario or Marth and Roy.

Ganondorf and Falco were fine, IMO, Young Link was borderline, and Pichu was just a mistake.

If there were ten clones in the game, and the differences were on par with Ganondorf's, I would see no problem there at all.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Clones
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:11:56 PM »
How about focusing on fine tuning the characters they have instead of throwing in a bunch of lazy knockoffs? I'm sorry but I hate inflating the roster with clones, and I'd rather see work done elsewhere. Nothing is more disappointing than working hard to unlock secret characters to find out they are nothing more than slightly modified clones. The only exception I have would be alternate costumes, but even those I don't want to big model overhauls because once again I want the game polished elsewhere which something like that could detract from.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 07:18:39 PM »
Alright, well, what if they clone where appropriate:  Give us a Peach clone for Daisy, a Fox clone for Falco, a Mario clone for Luigi, a Link clone for Young Link, a Pikachu clone for Raichu, or something like that.  If they change the physicals and alter/change a few specials, I really wouldn't complain.  It's extra characters, and I like extra characters, honestly.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 07:23:05 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
Alright, well, what if they clone where appropriate:  Give us a Peach clone for Daisy, a Fox clone for Falco, a Mario clone for Luigi, a Link clone for Young Link, a Pikachu clone for Raichu, or something like that.  If they change the physicals and alter/change a few specials, I really wouldn't complain.  It's extra characters, and I like extra characters, honestly.

I have a better idea, have Luigi utilize a unique moveset based on Luigi's Mansion. Have Daisy utilize a moveset that represents her personality which is 180 degrees different from Peach. Wish I could care about Pikachu and Raichu but I can't, I say one or the other, same goes for Young Link. Regardless I say the focus should be on making the most polished, balanced, Smash Brothers EVER! If they can do that with a UNIQUE roster that fairly represents Nintendo's top names, then they can go right ahead with their cloning for MINOR characters.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 07:40:53 PM »
I'd much rather more characters even if they were clones..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 07:53:33 PM »
While I wouldn't mind Luigi employing a moveset reflecting Luigi's Mansion, I have to defend Luigi since he plays entirely different than Mario even if they shared some moves. The biggest difference was the forward special. Luigi's Missile basically forced you to use Luigi differently since it was his primary recovery move. The only thing I really wished was different about Luigi was that I'm still waiting for his crazy legs jump from Super Mario Bros. 2.

If they modified the "clone" characters in Brawl by giving them some unique moves while still keeping them balanced, I think it'd work well. We're already getting a ton of new characters to fill the roster so  I wouldn't be disappointed to get "clones."

Also, I agree that "appropriate clones" is preferable. How did Ganondorf as a "clone" of Captain Falcon ever make sense?  And I was never really satisfied with Dr. Mario or Young Link. I wished they were entirely different characters, instead of just different versions of a character. Dr. Mario was always costume material anyway.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 09:36:57 PM »
My main concern is the known and popular characters being unique, those who are more secondary, I can be a bit more forgiving. But my ultimate hope is no clones and a TON of characters!  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 01:08:33 AM »
I never minded clones...I just thought some of the choices for clones was poor.  But if you want to give us a character that would not have made it in the game unless it was a clone then do it.  I would rather have the character than not.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 01:19:49 AM »
All the characters I'd like in the game just wouldn't work as clones, so no thanks...Even Ness I'd rather not have if they didn't rework his move set...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 01:47:19 AM »
alts>clones

Pikachu evolutions that aren't pikachu = fail.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline tombo125

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 02:34:27 AM »
How about a character who has moves taken from different characters?  Like a sword user would be the most logical to do since there are already two in the game and I think that there will be more eventually.  A character like Issac would be good to use, he could have multiple Link moves and multiple Ike moves along with one or two of Snakes moves.  As long as an original moveset is out of the question, I would have no problem with this as long as it was balanced out properly.  It may not fit the game Issac was in or his moves in that game, but I think it is better than not having the character in the game.  Does anybody agree?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 03:06:55 AM »
"A character like Issac would be good to use, he could have multiple Link moves and multiple Ike moves along with one or two of Snakes moves."

DENIED!  He's one of the characters I want, and he MUST have a unique move set that takes advantage of his Psynergy...Otherwise you get a Ganondorf scenario, which is ultimately displeasing to the palate...

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 03:22:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
"A character like Issac would be good to use, he could have multiple Link moves and multiple Ike moves along with one or two of Snakes moves."

DENIED!  He's one of the characters I want, and he MUST have a unique move set that takes advantage of his Psynergy...Otherwise you get a Ganondorf scenario, which is ultimately displeasing to the palate...

Agreed 100%

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 04:07:05 AM »
I don't mind clones that make sense.  I'd rather have Falco as a clone of Fox than not at all, for example.  Still, I'd prefer if there were no clones in Brawl just so everyone could finally shut up about clones.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 05:10:14 AM »
"Clones" give us more characters and I still advocate that. Costumes are another way of sneaking in characters that otherwise would never have made it in. I'd like to see Liquid Snake and if being a costume is the only way to get him in, I'd take it. There doesn't seem to be enough to make him "clone" material since he is, in fact, Snake's twin. The only differences, really, are the blond mullet and surprisingly different sounding voice (which makes no sense seeing as they're twins).

How about a character who has moves taken from different characters?

That actually seems like more work than its worth. At that point, they'd practically be making an entirely different character.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 05:11:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
ATTACK OF THE

WE'RE ALL
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 05:12:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale

Originally posted by: Professional 666
ATTACK OF THE

WE'RE ALL

HELP! MY HIGH SCHOOL P.E. TEACHER IS A
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline HadesGigas

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 05:39:30 AM »
Only "clone" character I'd like would be Ditto. Who would be the Mokujin/Shang Tsung type of character.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 06:37:26 AM »

Like a sword user would be the most logical to do since there are already two in the game and I think that there will be more eventually.

I kind of like how the different sword users... use swords differently. It's cool that they use different styles, and copy-pasting moves would be less cool.

I too would rather see costumes/skins than clones. Luigi and Ganondorf deserve unique movesets, but Dr Mario and Falco should just be alternate costumes for Mario and Fox. Young Link could go either way.  

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 06:43:12 AM »
The problem with costumes is that I would absolutely hate to win with Falco and have the game yell, "FOX WINS!"

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 06:47:26 AM »
See, I don't think Luigi needs an entirely different moveset from Mario.  Sure, Fludd should be switched with a unique Poltergust move, but beyond that, he isn't that different of a character anyways.  If they tweak things with the rest of his attacks, he's perfect, like they've done before.  Things look the same, but they really aren't.

On another note, I think it would be cool if Kirby had an "Unmasked MetaKnight" costume.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 06:57:02 AM »
Falcondorf still proves that Melee's roster is a bad joke, the type which is angry, hurtful and racist, in this case towards SSB players. The only joke worse than Falcondorf is the people who attempt to rationalize Falcondorf. I swear, some people could convince themselves that poop tastes like cake.

Unlocking clones in Melee could only be compared to having a 60 year old woman jump out of the cake at your bachelor party, topless.

Clones will be absolutely unacceptable unless they're simply alt costumes with a slight physics variation (which is what the Melee clones were anyway). If they're given their own roster spots, then I swear to god, those fireants WILL be in the mail.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 07:02:55 AM »
Smash_Brother must be the luckiest man alive if the biggest worry in his life is whether Falco has his own spot on the character select menu.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 07:39:40 AM »
We're talking about Ganondorf, not Falcon...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 07:41:00 AM »
The clone war has started again, my favorite debate topic in the UNIVERSE.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 07:48:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Clones will be absolutely unacceptable unless they're simply alt costumes with a slight physics variation (which is what the Melee clones were anyway). If they're given their own roster spots, then I swear to god, those fireants WILL be in the mail.
So you want Ganondorf to be an alternate costume for Captain Falcon?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 08:06:30 AM »
Ganondorf should be given a move set that actually makes sense for his character...

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 08:10:47 AM »

Ganondorf should be given a move set that actually makes sense for his character...

Bill beat me to it.

Falcondorf was such a joke because the moveset made absolutely no sense for his character. He would have made a better Samus clone, as charged projectiles are right up his alley.

I mean that in Brawl any character which is a clone should be an alt costume with some physics changes (if they choose to put them in). Sorry, I wasn't clear on that earlier.

I'd like to see the 'dorf back with a mix of magic and swordplay. Brawl only has one real "magic" user and that's Zelda.

On that note, this is why I want a Fire Emblem caster and/or Ashley.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 08:13:05 AM »

Agreed, but even if he gets his old move set I'm not complaining. He was great in Melee and his play style was vastly different from Captain Falcon's.  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 08:14:53 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
Agreed, but even if he gets his old move set I'm not complaining. He was great in Melee and his play style was vastly different from Captain Falcon's.

I'd complain, but I'm sure my complaints would be drowned out by the complaints of many, many others. Whisper on a scream, as it were.

If anything, Black Shadow should be a Falcon clone as he's at least a physical fighter type (at least he doesn't carry weapons like the 'dorf or Goroh).

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2007, 08:19:47 AM »

I mean that in Brawl any character which is a clone should be an alt costume with some physics changes (if they choose to put them in). Sorry, I wasn't clear on that earlier.
I knew what you meant.  And my point stands; if your biggest concern in life is whether Falco is a Fox costume or has his own character slot on the menu you're a lucky man.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2007, 08:23:51 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu I knew what you meant.  And my point stands; if your biggest concern in life is whether Falco is a Fox costume or has his own character slot on the menu you're a lucky man.

I've reread my post three times now and I can't figure out how you're divining "the biggest concern in my life" being involved in anything even remotely related to what I've said here. You're either putting words in my mouth or turning what I said into a bizarre absolute.

I've joked about the fire ant thing many times before, if that's what you mean.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2007, 08:28:28 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack

I'm sorry but one of the most interesting villains in the NIntendo universe should not share the same moveset with a F-Zero reject.  

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2007, 08:42:07 AM »
Oh god I've enter 2001 all over again.

Just because of all the hate the clones get I hope Brawl is full of them.  Just so I can see people b!tch endlessly about them again for the next 7 years.

Oh and Ganondorf will be his own character in this game, why does anyone even question this.  You can tell in Melee he was planned on being unique but they didn't have time.  Why else do you think he's holding a sword for one of his victory poses and in his official image.

This shows that when his official image was made, he was originally suppose to be a sword user, but as we all know time ran out and so the only way to get Ganondorf in was to base him off an existing character, or remove him like they did with Ditto and the Fire Emblem stage.  Because of this it is 100% obvisous that Ganondorf will infact be the character he was originally planed to be and there is no need to worry.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 08:49:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
Oh god I've enter 2001 all over again.

Just because of all the hate the clones get I hope Brawl is full of them.  Just so I can see people b!tch endlessly about them again for the next 7 years.

So wait, you don't want to be back in 2001 all over again because of the clone complaints but you still want clones in the game so there will...be clone complaints?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2007, 08:51:14 AM »

I've reread my post three times now and I can't figure out how you're divining "the biggest concern in my life" being involved in anything even remotely related to what I've said here. You're either putting words in my mouth or turning what I said into a bizarre absolute.
With all the time you and Pap have spent complaining about clones, you two could have created your own development house, assembled a team full of all-star programmers, secured the necessary funds, and programmed, tested, balanced, & released your own Smash Bros game.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2007, 11:07:13 AM »
I know I am considered one of the biggest clone haters around here so hear me out on this one. I personally don't mind the concept of clone characters that much since every single fighting game has at least one character that is a clone of another (Ken is perhaps the most famous clone character of all time and the MK series and the Namco 3D fighters are riddled with them). However, I HATE clones when...

1. They are used to easily expand a roster

2. They take the place of a much worthy character

3. When they don't make sense at all

Melee is guilty of all three. Its common fact that Melee was only going to feature 5 secret characters. But the team decided to add more characters to the list, but  there wasn't any time as Nintendo kept rushing them so they decided to take existing characters and make clones out of them. I know clone defenders keep saying that creating and balancing characters isn't easy and I agree. However, between making a brand new character and creating a clone based on an existing character its clear that making a clone is FAR easier. The clones were a product of a rushed development cycle because Nintendo NEEDED the game out by Christmas. So in all honesty, as weak as the 5 secret characters were I would've preferred to have the roster end there than to expand it with cheap characters.

Second, they should have used more worthy characters. Take a look at some of Brawl's newcomers; Wario, Pit and Metaknight. Fans wanted them playable way before Melee was announced so why didn't the team take some time to make them and make fans happy? I don't recall anyone saying "Gee, I sure hope Dr. Mario is a playable character!" or "Young Link should be in game, even though Link is already there!".

Finally, many of the clone characters didn't make sense AT ALL. I understand Falco and he was a good alternative to Fox's insane speed. Pichu, sure. Roy? I'm not a big fan but he was decent. But Dr. Mario? And Ganondorf a CAPTAIN FALCON clone?? With Dr. Mario that means there are THREE characters with the same moves. Luigi makes sense as a Mario clone since that's how he was always portrayed, but even they had the right idea of making him a little more unique. Dr. Mario should have been an alternate costume, PERIOD.

And Ganondorf...I don't need to explain it. He was his own character so it was VERY weird that they made him a Capt. Falcon clone. Same deal with Young Link.

So in short, I don't mind a couple of clones here and there as long as they make sense. However, when they take up half the roster and  they don't make sense THAT'S when I get angry...

Which is why I think Brawl will not have that many clone characters. With the team having more time to work on the game, the newcomers list being big (and likely to grow each day) and the many new characters that have been suggested it looks like Brawl's roster might be very varied and unique. So if they make a lot of clone characters once more then I'll second S_B's idea of mailing fire ants...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2007, 11:07:18 AM »
Gah...stupid computer.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2007, 12:57:41 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu With all the time you and Pap have spent complaining about clones, you two could have created your own development house, assembled a team full of all-star programmers, secured the necessary funds, and programmed, tested, balanced, & released your own Smash Bros game.

If only it were that simple...

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2007, 03:32:37 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu With all the time you and Pap have spent complaining about clones, you two could have created your own development house, assembled a team full of all-star programmers, secured the necessary funds, and programmed, tested, balanced, & released your own Smash Bros game.

If only it were that simple...

You also have to create a budget, blow that budget.  Create a release date, and then break it multiple times.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2007, 05:22:23 PM »
On the same note, I have absolutely zero expectation that Brawl will have clones.

It was rightfully delayed until February so Sakurai could have more time and as such it isn't suffering from the same issue of being rushed.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2007, 06:58:38 PM »

On the same note, I have absolutely zero expectation that Brawl will have clones.

It was rightfully delayed until February so Sakurai could have more time and as such it isn't suffering from the same issue of being rushed.

Well it can still have clones but just for a different reason.  In Melee's case Sakurai and his team had set a goal to have around 25 characters and the only way to make that goal in the time Nintendo was allowing them was to base characters off of others.

Brawl on the other hand because of all the time it's had will probably make it's intended goal with all the characters the way they're originally planned.  But if the team has extra time I'm sure they will create some clones to throw in the game just for the hell of it.  If say Sakurai's goal for Brawl is to have 40 characters and they reach that goal, I could easily see them adding somewhere between 2 -5 clones just for some last minute characters that would have other wise not appeared at all.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2007, 08:47:01 PM »

Well it can still have clones but just for a different reason.  In Melee's case Sakurai and his team had set a goal to have around 25 characters and the only way to make that goal in the time Nintendo was allowing them was to base characters off of others.

Brawl on the other hand because of all the time it's had will probably make it's intended goal with all the characters the way they're originally planned.  But if the team has extra time I'm sure they will create some clones to throw in the game just for the hell of it.  If say Sakurai's goal for Brawl is to have 40 characters and they reach that goal, I could easily see them adding somewhere between 2 -5 clones just for some last minute characters that would have other wise not appeared at all.

As I said before, if Sakurai and co can create the best game possible, and still have some time left over I will fully endorse clones. Honestly I have a good feeling that this may be the case considering Sakurai appears to have all the time he needs to create a stellar game.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2007, 04:56:16 AM »

Since you put it that way I have to agree. Clones in Brawl won't be that bad IF they have a great roster (which I'm betting anything it will).
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2007, 08:22:57 AM »

pap64 wrote:
Since you put it that way I have to agree. Clones in Brawl won't be that bad IF they have a great roster (which I'm betting anything it will).

I said essentially the same thing in my very first post of this thread.

Just to recap and expand on my thoughts:
1. Clones = more characters which is always a good thing in my mind
2. Since there are more individual, unique newcomers along with (I'm expecting) the return of every original veteran, the roster is varied enough that including "clones" isn't artificially expanding the roster. The development team did a good job giving us plenty of characters to choose from so "clones" just give us eve more characters to choose from, especially characters who might've missed the cut.
3. In addition to changing certain attributes, altering a move or two could give the "clones" a more unique feel.
4. Alternate costumes > color palettes. These, too, could give us characters we wouldn't get otherwise (like Liquid Snake, though he could easily be a "clone" character or a newcomer).

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2007, 08:38:19 AM »
You forgot to mention that the clones have to make sense. Like I said in my earlier post, Falco, Pichu and Luigi make sense since they were far to similar to the main character in their respective games. However, Dr. Mario could've easily worked as an alt costume for Mario while Ganondorf has both magical and weapon based attacks to choose from.

I still don't champion clone characters, but if they are used in the right way (as in extras to complement the roster rather than official characters used to easily expand the roster) I don't mind them that much.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2007, 08:57:07 AM »
I'll agree to that.  If there were a Bowser Jr. clone that played like Bowser but faster, that would be fine.  If Paula appears as a Clone to Lucas, I'd be fine with that too, Poo would work in that case, also.  I think Pichu was just a bad idea, though, and if there were to be a Pikachu evolution, I think a slower, more powerful Raichu would be appropriate.  The Fire Emblem characters weren't really different enough, IMO.  Young Link could have stood a few more changes, too.  But if it takes very little time to add in a clone character, say you cuold add five in the time it took to add one and maintain balance, I'm for losing one or two completely unique characters for a handful of clones, but only a few.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2007, 11:14:13 AM »

I'm sorry but one of the most interesting villains in the NIntendo universe should not share the same moveset with a F-Zero reject.
Pshh.

F-Zero GX > any Zelda game
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2007, 11:21:58 AM »
I knew I smelled something rotten coming from this thread!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2007, 06:53:54 PM »

pap64 wrote:
You forgot to mention that the clones have to make sense.

To be fair, I already mentioned that earlier in this thread. My second post, in fact.

Now, shall we talk about what characters would work well as "clones?"

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2007, 07:53:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock

pap64 wrote:
You forgot to mention that the clones have to make sense.

To be fair, I already mentioned that earlier in this thread. My second post, in fact.

Goomba and Koopa Troopa!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2007, 10:41:54 PM »

I got a good one, Wart from Super Mario Bros 2 USA, would make a great Bowser clone.  All they'd have to do is have him breath bubbles instead of fire for his standard B and boom, you get instant Wart.

And his victory theme would be The Frog's Song of Soul from Link's Awakening.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2007, 02:47:04 AM »
I would figure his theme music would come from the final battle against him.  I kinda liked that music.  :P

King K. Rool could be another that's a clone of Bowser.  The Kongs do need a nemesis in Brawl, methinks.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2007, 05:17:23 AM »
I would take Wart over King K Rool any day.  

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2007, 05:22:48 AM »
Oh, absolutely.  I was just saying that because of the whole clones discussion.  It would expand the roster after all...
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2007, 01:10:16 PM »
i think there should be a fine balance of clones and alternate costumes.

heres what I would like to see but i wont necessarily get.

Sonic/Shadow/MechaSonic as costume switches

Ganondorf-featuring a sword, costume varients Young OOT, Middle Aged TP, old WW. Maybe with some falcon moves.

Young cell link- young link from Wind Waker has different weapons then link does in twilight princess, thus the character would be similar, but still different. He should have the floaty leaf thing and a few other of the weapons i cant remember. Maybe some stuff from 4 swords and phantom hour glass. He should also have his island shirt.

someone said something about a variant of young link that used the different masks from MM, which is an awesome idea...but too good to expect. Maybe oni link as the final smash

Falco as a costume switch for fox, but of course it still says falco in the announcement

Mario should have his sunglasses and Hawaiian shirt, maybe dark mario, maybe doctor mario but only as a costume change.

Wario should definitely have his classic look
link should have lots of costumes, Tauru Link, Oot Link, Tp link, Dark Link, Oni link, Water Link, Fire Link, Money link, and the Pallete Swaps

Tails should only be an assist trophy

Luigi should have the vacuum instead of fireballs ala kirby, but be mostly the same, with luigi mario 2 jumps, and karate chop of course.

marth and roy should only be costumes for Ike

ness likewise for Lucas

liquid snake and big boss for Solid snake

there should be a girl pokemon trainer with a water, fire, and leaf pokemon, but they should play pretty much the same.

Eggman/robotnik should be in the game with their own personal moveset

Possibly have Wart in the game, either as another costume for Bowser, or as an assist trophy

diddy kong is currently a piece of crap, maybe he could have a clone character that is actually better.

daisy should be an alternate costume for peach, but in the voice over it should say daisy.

Shiek should be in the game, with bothy an oot look and a redesign.

Megaman should be in the game with all sorts of costume changes,actually every minute you play as him his powers slightly change to different version. Otherwise he would be a Samas clone
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2007, 02:33:29 PM »
Luigi should keep his fireballs. It's more of a franchise trademark anyway.
I'd be happy with Ness as a Lucas alt, but happier with a more original Ness.
Shadow should be nowhere near Brawl.
Marth should stay in the game. He's a different enough character from what we've seen of Ike.
And seriously, Diddy Kong needs to be fixed, not like a puppy fix-well. . .maybe.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2007, 02:47:03 PM »

Ganondorf-Maybe with some falcon moves.
'

No, just no.  

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2007, 06:08:11 AM »

Assuming Ganondorf has his own move set, I'd like to see Black Shadow as a Captain Falcon clone.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2007, 03:11:24 AM »
Add Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile and Smoke as clones of Guile.

No, really, I want Falco in there, even if he's just a clone of Fox.  I want Ganon to have a new moveset.  Luigi is already not that much of a clone, but feel free to change him even more.

If they want to throw in Ness as a Lucas "clone" (kind of backwards), I will be happy.  Marth would be good too.

New clones?  I'll take whatever they give me, I don't feel there's anything badly missing.  I kind of like the K.Rool suggestion.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX