Author Topic: Clones  (Read 13665 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Clones
« on: November 08, 2007, 05:55:15 PM »
Do you want to see clones in Brawl?

As I mentioned in the other thread, Brawl already has more individual newcomers than Melee and chances are there will be more. Melee had 14 newcomers (including Sheik), 6 were "clones" of which 5 were clones of veterans from the original. Brawl, alternatively, has 11 newcomers (including both Zero Suit Samus and fake-Ness aka Lucas) thus far (or 12 if you count the previously unofficially announced Ganondorf).

I wouldn't mind seeing "clone" characters, though I say so cautiously. Artificially inflating the roster is a concern though that may not be a problem. I'm assuming that every non-clone character (plus a brand new non-clone Ganondorf) will be in Brawl. That sets the roster at over 30 so far which isn't bad considering none are clones. Additionally, I expect a few more individual, unique newcomers. Since there are more newcomers, I don't feel as if the roster is deceptively larger than it actually is.

I think clones can work if they actually feel significantly different. Adjusting weight/speed/size/strength is one thing though also changing a move or two could work at making similar movesets feel a bit more unique. If the "clones" were more along the lines of Luigi to Mario as opposed to Dr. Mario to Mario, I think it'd work better. I wasn't very satisfied with how "clones" worked in Melee.

On a side note, I think Tails and Knuckles could work as "clones" of Sonic. Adjust attributes and moves such as the up special move (Tails-->fly, Knuckles-->glide) for example, and there you have 2 additional characters. I know some people aren't fans of Sonic or his pals, but I still wouldn't say no to more characters, especially if balanced correctly. With Brawl having a a good number of unique newcomers, I wouldn't mind "clone" characters at all.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Clones
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:58:53 PM »
ATTACK OF THE
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:04:20 PM »
As far as clones go, I'm fine with them.  If nearly all new characters announced were clones, that would be fine with me, so long as they are slightly more different than Dr. Mario and Mario or Marth and Roy.

Ganondorf and Falco were fine, IMO, Young Link was borderline, and Pichu was just a mistake.

If there were ten clones in the game, and the differences were on par with Ganondorf's, I would see no problem there at all.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Clones
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:11:56 PM »
How about focusing on fine tuning the characters they have instead of throwing in a bunch of lazy knockoffs? I'm sorry but I hate inflating the roster with clones, and I'd rather see work done elsewhere. Nothing is more disappointing than working hard to unlock secret characters to find out they are nothing more than slightly modified clones. The only exception I have would be alternate costumes, but even those I don't want to big model overhauls because once again I want the game polished elsewhere which something like that could detract from.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 07:18:39 PM »
Alright, well, what if they clone where appropriate:  Give us a Peach clone for Daisy, a Fox clone for Falco, a Mario clone for Luigi, a Link clone for Young Link, a Pikachu clone for Raichu, or something like that.  If they change the physicals and alter/change a few specials, I really wouldn't complain.  It's extra characters, and I like extra characters, honestly.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 07:23:05 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
Alright, well, what if they clone where appropriate:  Give us a Peach clone for Daisy, a Fox clone for Falco, a Mario clone for Luigi, a Link clone for Young Link, a Pikachu clone for Raichu, or something like that.  If they change the physicals and alter/change a few specials, I really wouldn't complain.  It's extra characters, and I like extra characters, honestly.

I have a better idea, have Luigi utilize a unique moveset based on Luigi's Mansion. Have Daisy utilize a moveset that represents her personality which is 180 degrees different from Peach. Wish I could care about Pikachu and Raichu but I can't, I say one or the other, same goes for Young Link. Regardless I say the focus should be on making the most polished, balanced, Smash Brothers EVER! If they can do that with a UNIQUE roster that fairly represents Nintendo's top names, then they can go right ahead with their cloning for MINOR characters.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 07:40:53 PM »
I'd much rather more characters even if they were clones..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 07:53:33 PM »
While I wouldn't mind Luigi employing a moveset reflecting Luigi's Mansion, I have to defend Luigi since he plays entirely different than Mario even if they shared some moves. The biggest difference was the forward special. Luigi's Missile basically forced you to use Luigi differently since it was his primary recovery move. The only thing I really wished was different about Luigi was that I'm still waiting for his crazy legs jump from Super Mario Bros. 2.

If they modified the "clone" characters in Brawl by giving them some unique moves while still keeping them balanced, I think it'd work well. We're already getting a ton of new characters to fill the roster so  I wouldn't be disappointed to get "clones."

Also, I agree that "appropriate clones" is preferable. How did Ganondorf as a "clone" of Captain Falcon ever make sense?  And I was never really satisfied with Dr. Mario or Young Link. I wished they were entirely different characters, instead of just different versions of a character. Dr. Mario was always costume material anyway.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 09:36:57 PM »
My main concern is the known and popular characters being unique, those who are more secondary, I can be a bit more forgiving. But my ultimate hope is no clones and a TON of characters!  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 01:08:33 AM »
I never minded clones...I just thought some of the choices for clones was poor.  But if you want to give us a character that would not have made it in the game unless it was a clone then do it.  I would rather have the character than not.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 01:19:49 AM »
All the characters I'd like in the game just wouldn't work as clones, so no thanks...Even Ness I'd rather not have if they didn't rework his move set...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 01:47:19 AM »
alts>clones

Pikachu evolutions that aren't pikachu = fail.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline tombo125

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 02:34:27 AM »
How about a character who has moves taken from different characters?  Like a sword user would be the most logical to do since there are already two in the game and I think that there will be more eventually.  A character like Issac would be good to use, he could have multiple Link moves and multiple Ike moves along with one or two of Snakes moves.  As long as an original moveset is out of the question, I would have no problem with this as long as it was balanced out properly.  It may not fit the game Issac was in or his moves in that game, but I think it is better than not having the character in the game.  Does anybody agree?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 03:06:55 AM »
"A character like Issac would be good to use, he could have multiple Link moves and multiple Ike moves along with one or two of Snakes moves."

DENIED!  He's one of the characters I want, and he MUST have a unique move set that takes advantage of his Psynergy...Otherwise you get a Ganondorf scenario, which is ultimately displeasing to the palate...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 03:22:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
"A character like Issac would be good to use, he could have multiple Link moves and multiple Ike moves along with one or two of Snakes moves."

DENIED!  He's one of the characters I want, and he MUST have a unique move set that takes advantage of his Psynergy...Otherwise you get a Ganondorf scenario, which is ultimately displeasing to the palate...

Agreed 100%

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 04:07:05 AM »
I don't mind clones that make sense.  I'd rather have Falco as a clone of Fox than not at all, for example.  Still, I'd prefer if there were no clones in Brawl just so everyone could finally shut up about clones.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 05:10:14 AM »
"Clones" give us more characters and I still advocate that. Costumes are another way of sneaking in characters that otherwise would never have made it in. I'd like to see Liquid Snake and if being a costume is the only way to get him in, I'd take it. There doesn't seem to be enough to make him "clone" material since he is, in fact, Snake's twin. The only differences, really, are the blond mullet and surprisingly different sounding voice (which makes no sense seeing as they're twins).

How about a character who has moves taken from different characters?

That actually seems like more work than its worth. At that point, they'd practically be making an entirely different character.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 05:11:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
ATTACK OF THE

WE'RE ALL
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 05:12:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale

Originally posted by: Professional 666
ATTACK OF THE

WE'RE ALL

HELP! MY HIGH SCHOOL P.E. TEACHER IS A
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline HadesGigas

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 05:39:30 AM »
Only "clone" character I'd like would be Ditto. Who would be the Mokujin/Shang Tsung type of character.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 06:37:26 AM »

Like a sword user would be the most logical to do since there are already two in the game and I think that there will be more eventually.

I kind of like how the different sword users... use swords differently. It's cool that they use different styles, and copy-pasting moves would be less cool.

I too would rather see costumes/skins than clones. Luigi and Ganondorf deserve unique movesets, but Dr Mario and Falco should just be alternate costumes for Mario and Fox. Young Link could go either way.  

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 06:43:12 AM »
The problem with costumes is that I would absolutely hate to win with Falco and have the game yell, "FOX WINS!"

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 06:47:26 AM »
See, I don't think Luigi needs an entirely different moveset from Mario.  Sure, Fludd should be switched with a unique Poltergust move, but beyond that, he isn't that different of a character anyways.  If they tweak things with the rest of his attacks, he's perfect, like they've done before.  Things look the same, but they really aren't.

On another note, I think it would be cool if Kirby had an "Unmasked MetaKnight" costume.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 06:57:02 AM »
Falcondorf still proves that Melee's roster is a bad joke, the type which is angry, hurtful and racist, in this case towards SSB players. The only joke worse than Falcondorf is the people who attempt to rationalize Falcondorf. I swear, some people could convince themselves that poop tastes like cake.

Unlocking clones in Melee could only be compared to having a 60 year old woman jump out of the cake at your bachelor party, topless.

Clones will be absolutely unacceptable unless they're simply alt costumes with a slight physics variation (which is what the Melee clones were anyway). If they're given their own roster spots, then I swear to god, those fireants WILL be in the mail.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 07:02:55 AM »
Smash_Brother must be the luckiest man alive if the biggest worry in his life is whether Falco has his own spot on the character select menu.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!