Author Topic: Mac OS X Leopard (10.5)  (Read 8203 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
RE: Mac OS X Leopard (10.5)
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2007, 06:47:14 PM »
I probably won't upgrade until after Christmas. I want to upgrade my ram and get an external hard drive first.  
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 05:21:37 PM »
Well, picked my copy of Leopard up today... now comes the hard part: wait until my new hard drive arrives on thursday. Yes, TVman, I'm playing the "upgrade first" game too. I got my MBP with the 100GB 7200rpm hard drive, but have run into space constraints, of course (jeez, I mean, it's fast but it's only 100GB!).

So, I ordered a 2.5", 7200rpm 200GB drive and an external 2.5" hard drive enclosure w/ Firewire. I'll swap my old 100GB drive with the new 200GB one, and pop the old one into the enclosure to get a small 100GB, USB- or Firewire-powered external hard drive out of the deal. Then I'll just do a clean install on the new hard drive and migrate over. So I've gotta wait. Hurry, newegg... hurry!  
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE:Mac OS X Leopard (10.5)
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 03:27:54 PM »
I changed my mind. Leopard looks tasty, however, I don't think I'll be installing it on my titanium powerbook. For nostalgia's sake, I'd like to keep a machine with OS 9 installed, and Leopard doesn't have Classic.

Instead of Leopard, I'll pick up a new Macbook.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2007, 09:44:59 AM »

Instead of Leopard, I'll pick up a new Macbook.

Good call, our macbook line just got updated today =)

New Santa Rosa intel chips, 800 mhz front side bus (I think) and a beefed up graphics card. Oh and it's a little lighter than the previous macbook as well.

I'm installing Leopard on my first machine at the moment. I'm sad that Apple won't be updating or supporting their CS1 and CS2 line with this upgrade, oh well. Apparently it should still run under Leopard but there may be problems. In a few hours I'll know I guess haha.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »
what's this I need 9GB of HDD space to isntall? I only have 6!
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2007, 03:37:59 PM »
So I just finished my installation on two computers.

Some immediate impressions:

Quick View is very cool.
New finder ROCKS. So much faster and organized than the old.
New dock is so so. The 2D version still works better and thankfully there is a work around to make the 2D side views work for the bottom view.
New mail is nice.
Spaces is cool.
The new spring loading folders from the dock are ok . . . I wish the icon wouldn't become a mix of what is in the folder though (or at least customizable). Also, the added function of just making the folder open on click would be nice.
New folder designs are ugly.

Oh and as always the system is running nice and smooth and somewhat faster. Safari is even a little faster AND has been updated to a new version supporting more CSS elements than before which is very nice.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2007, 03:40:53 PM »

Originally posted by: Shift Key

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
Pretty ridiculous that you felt the need to step into this thread and troll. Why don't you let me know what's cool that way I can get excited about it and "circlejerk" with you?

I wouldn't circlejerk with you in a million years.

Its just amazing how defensive people can be over such minor issues (sup mash, still struggling on interpreting sarcasm eh?). Lighten up.

Don't worry, people get defensive over a poor man's OS!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2007, 03:55:54 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Shouldn't you be off in another thread trumpeting Vista's benefits?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2007, 03:58:26 PM »

Shouldn't you be off in another thread trumpeting Vista's benefits?

Sadly there is none.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2007, 04:00:53 PM »

Sadly there is none.

The thread or the benefits?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2007, 04:02:49 PM »

Sadly there is none.

The thread or the benefits?

Actually I was referring to a thread about the benefits of your FACE, which sadly has none.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2007, 04:08:42 PM »
Microsoft deserves lots of credit for Vista!

It actually came out!

Fun new functions for OS X 10.5:

- Snippets. Allows you to cut portions of a web page and make it a widget instantly.
- Mail now has the ability to figure out what names and addresses are. A name when mouse overed will give you an arrow allowing you to click and add/edit in your address book. With an address  you can do the same but it also gives you a "map" option that will auto run a google map search for said address.
- iChat has some fun new video effects. However, the Star Wars hologram effect is not present and that makes me sad =(
- iChat now supports invisible mode.
- iChat now has a "screen sharing" feature.
- Safari has a wonderful new search function. Control F is much much much nicer now.
- Safari now allows you to not only check spelling but check spelling and grammar.

So far I am loving the speed the OS has over Tiger. Which I never thought I would say (or would be possible), outside of finder of course which is now finally up to speed.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2007, 04:09:02 PM »

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2007, 10:33:19 PM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
Fun fact: I start working at an apple store on Saturday =D

I knew there was someone who worked in an Apple store in this there. Here's a nice story for you, and it starts off with "I'm looking for a J-Phone."

http://www.burbia.com/node1470.htm

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2007, 10:59:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
Fun fact: I start working at an apple store on Saturday =D

I knew there was someone who worked in an Apple store in this there. Here's a nice story for you, and it starts off with "I'm looking for a J-Phone."

http://www.burbia.com/node1470.htm

Wow that's an awesome story. I'm not big on going into the Apple Store because you always seem to get two types of people. The guy in that story being a total dick or the completely clueless idiot who doesn't know the difference between the various products they sell (but still act like a total dick regardless). Plus the store is fairly useless, with nothing much inside except their hardware and other over priced goods.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2007, 11:23:19 PM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
The guy in that story being a total dick or the completely clueless idiot who doesn't know the difference between the various products they sell (but still act like a total dick regardless).

My only experience with Apple store staff was the latter (a kid who may have been 18 Days' long lost cousin) and it was a fairly redundant experience because my sister had made up her mind about what she wanted and none of my antagonizing of the employees would change that.

It was fun for me though.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2007, 02:48:06 AM »
Yeouch Apple Store hatred FTL.

Well I can't speak for all stores and that story is pretty messed up but the one I work in has a really nice staff of people; all pretty well educated on what we sell and I haven't seen anyone act the slight bit "dickish" yet.

Everyone should be treated with courtesy regardless of their knowledge of your products.