Author Topic: Gamespot can go to hell  (Read 3919 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Gamespot can go to hell
« on: March 20, 2003, 10:15:56 PM »
9.3!!!!?!?!?!?!? WTF! In the review the guy goes on about it like it the best freaking game ever, and he gives it a 9.3!?! I mean W. T. F.? Are they out of thier mind? F*** what a crappy site, 9.3 my ass... The most anticipated game ever.... gets a 9.3? And they even said it was better than OOT, and they gave that a 10? What the hell is going on here? Damn, what a sh!tty website that gamespot is, PlanetGamecube > All

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Gamespot can go to hell
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2003, 12:07:54 AM »
haha that doesn't make much sence... better than a game that got more than it?

i tend to not read any other reveiws other than Nintendo Gamer, Australian CUBE and ofcourse Planet Game Cube. think i have made inteligent decisions there

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Gamespot can go to hell
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 01:32:54 AM »
it was probably the fact that The Wind Waker is a little easier than the other Zelda titles (or so they say).

I have tried to avoid information about it, but it does not seem like they added much
I'll shut up now...

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
Gamespot can go to hell
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2003, 08:43:52 PM »
In my opinion, anything over a 9 is a fair score for Wind Waker.  The game isn't perfect ... there are some flaws, some bigger than others, some more overlooked than others.

That said, we don't need this forum to become a gripe board about other people's review scores.  You think the game is great?  That's all that matters.  What some other site gives it is really irrelevant.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline kabalcage

• View Profile
Gamespot can go to hell
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2003, 07:48:56 AM »
OMG, a 9.3 OMGO MGOMO GMOM OGMO MG!!!11!!1

seriously, it's a 9-point-freaking-3.  That's an excellent score no matter what.  The score suggest it's an excellent game with some flaws, no big deal.  Jeez, look at other scores for games that came out recently, WW is definetly one of the highest for sure.  GS's tough..get over it.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
Gamespot can go to hell
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2003, 08:23:40 AM »
Ugh, fanboys.

It's a 9.3.  It's FINE.  It's above a 9.  And besides, what are you complaining about?  The fact that someone, somewhere has an opinion that differs from you?  Have you even played the game?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Gamespot can go to hell
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2003, 09:43:50 AM »
I personally don't care about the 9.3, especially since that score bears more weight coming from Gamespot, but I just hope they didn't cite one of it's problems being lack of new things, because they gave Vice City, basically GTA3 with a different city, a 9.8.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Gamespot can go to hell
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2003, 01:39:07 PM »

Originally posted by: PIAC
tend to not read any other reveiws other than Nintendo Gamer, Australian CUBE and ofcourse Planet Game Cube. think i have made inteligent decisions there
Propaganda.  Seriously, do you think Nintendo-owned magazines would say, "The game we made sucks.  Don't buy it."  fat chance.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
Gamespot can go to hell
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2003, 03:31:42 PM »
yes well, they arn't nintendo owned magazines now are they.

ugh fanboys? i take offence to that, i just found it a bit silly how a game thats supposed to be better than another got a lower score than it

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Gamespot can go to hell
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2003, 04:34:21 PM »
For years now, I've lost faith in any score system.  I read the reviews first and foremost.  The scores mean little to me because I find that they are for the Thumbs-up/Thumbs-down people of the world, too lazy to read reviews and contrast their own views.  Of course, it's more than that, but that's my take on it.  I enjoy scores for the technical side of things--but scores fail very badly because technical numbers can't be applied easily--if at all--to art.  I was more than surprised to see a 9.3 at GameSpot, and my initial reaction was, "Leave it up to Jeff Gerstmann!" but that's infantile.

The truth is--and I am speaking for myself here as well--as much as we'd love to believe there's an underlying anti-Nintendo movement among certain mags so we could point accusative fingers with self-righteous glee, we don't know for sure, and the fact is, we all have a lot growing up to do, both young and old.

A 9.3 really is stellar, but for Zelda, it seems like a slap in the face.  That's just because people who love Nintendo games (NOT FANBOYS) really believe they are above and beyond many others.  There's not a thing wrong with that.  But we still have a long way to go before we truly rise above all this partisanship and just enjoy games again.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
Gamespot can go to hell
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2003, 05:14:51 PM »
I tend to think Gamespot is a bit more reliable than other game review publications. I like Gamespot a lot more than IGN. Afterall, Gamespot has shown to be, for the most part, unbiased in their reviews. They gave Super Mario Sunshine an 8.0 (which I agreed with), Super Smash Brothers: Melee an 8.8 or an 8.9 (agreed with). They gave Dead or Alive Beach Volley Ball a 6.0 I think, and they gave merits where they belonged and were critical where it is warranted. IGN, on the other hand, thinks Super Mario Sunshine is 9.0+ worthy, DOABC is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and seems to throw a 9.0+ review to anything with any kind of hype. At Gamespot, you know an 8.0+ review is a "great" game that'll be worth the purchase.

I do think Gamespot could have given it a 9.5 or 9.6 review and it would have been more fair, but I haven't even played the game yet, so I don't know. The ease seems to be a valid complaint or even a bit of a let down. I noticed Gamespot rated Pokemon Ruby and Saphire an 8.0 or 8.1. I have played Saphire and I think the ease of it is also a bit of a let down. The graphics are pretty nice but not really GBA quality, but I think I agree with the Gamespot review. IGN on the other hand threw a 9.0+ at it. I have to think if everyone reviewed like IGN, games would never get better. I think Gamespot is doing these games justice by being critical. Splitercell didn't even get a 9.0+ rating from Gamespot, and we all know the hype surrounding that monster (and I use monster in a positive way, the game is a masterpiece for its strong points ).

I don't see any reason to rip Gamespot. In fact, I feel we should support them for being unbiased and critical. I almost never see the bias that some point out in Gamespot. Most of the time, it seems like they're speaking the truth.

The only thing I don't like about Gamespot is that stupid best icon that almost always lands beside "Xbox" on multiplatform games.    

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Gamespot can go to hell
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2003, 05:34:13 PM »
Alright, I thought I would dig around a little bit and find some reviews that seriously bother me in GameSpot.  It didn't take long, that's for sure.

GTA Vice City - 9.6

MGS2: SOL - 9.6

MGS2: Substance - 7.5  (they must really like Raiden)

Luigi's Mansion - 7.9

Skies of Arcadia Legends - 7.5

I have serious issues with all the above reviews.  Most should be self explanatory, but I will go into detail if you like.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
Gamespot can go to hell
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2003, 02:10:47 AM »
I prefer Metal Gear Solid to OOT, does that mean I should go to Hell too?

For Gods sake stop getting so worked up! IGN gives the game a 9.6, which is a whole 4% off a perfect score! Should they go and burn in Hell too because their opinion is different to yours? (not to mention they've completed the game, which is probably more than you can claim to...)
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."