Author Topic: XIII (13) the Cell-Shaded 1st-person Shooter... no thanks!  (Read 7236 times)

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
XIII (13) the Cell-Shaded 1st-person Shooter... no thanks!
« on: March 20, 2003, 01:21:35 PM »
Just downloaded that movie, and it looks weird.  I can see using the cartoon style on something like Spider-Man or Super-Man or Kingdom Hearts (Disney), because those genres are already hand-drawn media (comics/cartoons), but a first-person shooter in cartoon style?  No.  It just doesn't work.  I almost fell off my chair I laughed so hard.  It looked "cute" or "kiddie" but not a game I could take seriously.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 01:38:04 PM »
Hmmm.
If you read the interviews and previews, theaveng, you'll see that this game is also based on a comic, a french comic.
And as much as I'd like to see Spiderman and Superman with cel-shaded graphics, having seen the movies, i think it was a good idea to have 3D gaphics.  
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Don'tHate742

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 02:19:13 PM »
I don't......I would love to control spiderman in all his cartoony splender. Also CELSHADING if done right well REVOLUTIONIZE the gaming industry. I always wanted a cel-shaded DBZ game or Cowboy BEBOP game.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Sirmorphix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 02:48:23 PM »
It looked like a comic book inspired FPS.  The little panels onpening up and showing the head shot at the top of the screen was cool.  Not all games are made to be taken seriously, and this just looks like an all round fun game.  The sytle would make for a fresh take on an FPS, and I for one won't complain about that.
---
Electronic Arts Canada
---

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2003, 03:42:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Don'tHate742
I don't......I would love to control spiderman in all his cartoony splender. Also CELSHADING if done right well REVOLUTIONIZE the gaming industry. I always wanted a cel-shaded DBZ game or Cowboy BEBOP game.

In what way will it revolutionize the gaming industry?  
it was time for a change.

Offline Reverse_Gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2003, 05:54:28 PM »
When I first heard about it I reacted like you, but now that I think about it, the cel-shading style could be very good for fps. I can see myself playing timsplitters 3 cel-shaded. I don't think I will get the game though, since it's a third party game.

BTW A cowboy bebop game would, if done right, be sweet.  
------------------------------------------
GCN games I own: Metroid Prime, Sonic Adventure 2, Timesplitters 2, Waverace, Luigis Mansion, Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Rogue Leader, Starfox Adventures, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, Super Smash Bros Melee, Resident Evil, Res

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2003, 06:06:24 PM »
Heh... yeah, I actually started laughing when watching the trailer.

I am really not into FPS games, but this one looks genuinely fun.  I will definately be giving it a rental if nothing else.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2003, 06:31:09 PM »
With me, unless an FPS has something really different to offer (non-graphical, mind you), I honestly don't pay any attention to them.   I've always been very picky about them, and only a handful have ever really made me love them almost instantly (Doom II, Half-Life, Metroid Prime [leave your FPS/FPA arguments at the schoolhouse--I'm just talking about games that are set in the first person, simply]).  I'll give XIII a look, but I haven't kept up with it enough to really have an opinion on it.  Looks "interesting."
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2003, 09:08:00 PM »
My friend is crazy over this game, i don't know why though, i guess that comic thing is cool for him, and the 'tap tap tap' of enemies feet as they walk. But then he'll only get it if its any better than Goldeneye/PD/TS.
I have yet to see the trailer thing but i'll look at it soon.

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2003, 09:01:41 PM »
I just saw a special on this game and  an interview on G4tv and it looked really interesting in action!

Offline kabalcage

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2003, 07:40:03 AM »
Well I can't play Wind Waker because it looks "lame" and "cute/kiddie".  See how that sounds?  Too shallow my boy...just stop while you're ahead.  It's just a graphical style.

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2003, 08:55:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Termin8Anakin
If you read the interviews and previews, theaveng, you'll see that this game is also based on a comic, a french comic..
Didn't know that.  Thanks!

Still, I have a hard time imagining myself playing a cartoon Shooter.  I can accept the cartoon style for "fake" stuff like Zelda, Mario, and Dark Cloud 2..... but when I think about First-Person Shooters, I think "realism".  Cartoon and Realism just don't mix for me.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2003, 11:43:33 AM »
Hmmm... theaveng seems to be an idiot... How interesting... Completely dismissing gameplay, replay value, sound, AND storyline merely for the look of the game...? If everyone did that, nobody would have gotten Ocarina of Time and Master Quest...
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2003, 04:11:53 PM »

Still, I have a hard time imagining myself playing a cartoon Shooter. I can accept the cartoon style for "fake" stuff like Zelda, Mario, and Dark Cloud 2..... but when I think about First-Person Shooters, I think "realism". Cartoon and Realism just don't mix for me.

Yeah, because a one man army, who is able to carry hundreds of pounds of munition, in addition to being able to take 20 some odd body shots before going down always evokes realism within my mind.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2003, 04:34:42 PM »
heh heh heh classic koopa troopa, a cell shaded FPS would be a nice idea i would definatly be interested in it, but then i guess i love cartoons of all genres (disney to anime)

Offline Modulus-X

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2003, 01:47:28 PM »
and the french comic is a total rip off of the Bourne Identity....
-=[Modulus-X]=-

Currently Playing: Zelda: The Wind Waker, WarCraft 3 Expansion Beta, Star Wars Galaxies Beta

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2003, 12:45:46 AM »
Bourne Identity was good.
I hope they make a sequel to it.
The book had a sequel, called the Bourne Supremacy. So maybe.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2003, 04:35:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo
Hmmm... theaveng seems to be an idiot...
The only "idiot" in this forum is the person who uses insults for arguments.  Grow up.  Don't act like a 4-yr-old.  Act like an adult.

And yes, you have a good point about trying a game before judging it, like Zelda, but frankly I don't want to.  I don't really like First-Person Shooters, and so feel absolutely no desire to try this game.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2003, 09:57:01 AM »
I don't know about this, but Killer 7 is cel-shadedish and it looks very cool.  It'll work if you do it right.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>