Author Topic: Corrupted Gamecube memory card caused by WiiConnect24?  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Corrupted Gamecube memory card caused by WiiConnect24?
« on: June 26, 2007, 11:10:10 PM »
On Monday, I find that my 1019 Gamecube memory card save files became corrupted. I lost all my saves from:

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Eternal Darkness
Phantasy Star Online
Metroid Prime
Viewtiful Joe
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Super Mario Strikers
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Resident Evil 4
The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
Beyond Good and Evil

There goes 6 years of "work." I thought it might have been my Wii, but my internal flash memory is fine. I still have all the channels and my Wii saves. I tried my GCN memory card at Game Crazy and the card itself was corrupted and would no longer save data. It's not even an old memory card either since I got it last July. It sucks that I lost all my saves, but on the bright side, the manager of Game Crazy replaced my memory card free of charge and I didn't even buy it there. He's just a nice guy.

Here's the thing. A friend/coworker of mine said that the same exact thing happened to his SD card and GCN memory card and he thinks that it was probably from the Wii getting too warm. I had noticed that the Wii gets warm, almost hot, when WiiConnect24 is on which is why I turned it off a few months ago. I just turned WiiConnect24 on again and left it on since last week to add a few coworkers and exchange Miis. I didn't have a problem with using Wii for Gamecube games before and certainly never with Gamecube so I do think this whole mess was related to turning WiiConnect24 back on. Maybe it just fried the card.

I've asked everyone I know who has a Wii and only my one friend had encountered a similar problem. Everyone else leaves their memory cards in there and they work fine. Has anyone else encountered something like this? Is it possible to only have the console access the internet while it's actually on? Yes, technically WiiConnect24 means the console is "on," but you know what I mean.

And by the way, this was the second time out of 2 times I've called Nintendo Customer Service in which they've failed completely in helping in any way possible. The first was the cracked DS Lite hinge AFTER they announced that fixing it was free. The service rep told me to send it in with, I think, $25 even after I explained that I just read that it was a manufacturing defect and that Nintendo would replace it for free AND that I was still under warranty anyway. $25 was apparently the discounted repair/replacement price for the cracked hinge. This time the service rep told me that I should probably just buy a new GCN memory card though she sounded new. I guess I should have asked to speak to someone else. I've heard nothing but great things from Nintendo Customer Service, but goddamn, they're 0 for 2 from my experience.

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Corrupted Gamecube memory card caused by WiiConnect24?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 01:55:57 AM »
With WiiConnect24 on, my Wii is always warm to the touch, even when the console is off (it would be cool, if the WC24 were off, too). When my Wii is running, it only gets very warm, but never hot enough to cause concern. Adrock - how do you have your Wii positioned? Is getting enough ventilation?
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
RE: Corrupted Gamecube memory card caused by WiiConnect24?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 01:58:27 AM »
I personally find that leaving the Wii with only WiiConnect24 going gets my Wii hotter for longer periods of time then when playing a game simply because the fan doesn't turn on in the standby mode.  I found it odd when I kept see that result.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 07:40:14 AM »

Adrock - how do you have your Wii positioned? Is getting enough ventilation?

It's on the vertical stand and very well ventilated. When I had WiiConnect24 on a few months ago, I laid it flat and had no problems.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 06:32:23 PM »
is this an official nintendo brand memory card 1019?

sounds like it is, i know your really taking your chances on gamecube using any third party memory card

That and i've always taken my memory card out while the wii is turned off cause i think it looks tacky leave GC accessories plugged into it
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 03:36:21 PM »
Well I have heard of issues of the first batch of 1019 cards Nintendo produced (not the software glitches that are widely known by a lot of early 3rd party games), those cards tended to corrupt. My 1019 card still sits in my Wii, I checked today and my card is as good as new.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Nintendawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 09:35:30 AM »
HEH?!

I've always avoided keeping memory cards in the Wii unit for the sheer reason of cosmetics. But now that I've heard that this has happened, I'm going to stay away from doing this. Even though its not 100% confirmed. Better safe then sorry.
Laughing at you 'cause you can't shoot the duck EST 1985

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 10:48:15 PM »
Good call. I'm not taking any chances now. I actually just bought (back) my Gamecube. It sucks because I basically gave Gamecrazy $25 to watch my Gamecube for the last 7 months. Oh well, I've been thinking about collecting Nintendo hardware, but damn, Ebay is ridiculous. I just got outbid 3 separate times on the redesigned SNES.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 10:55:11 PM »
Wii Connect is a complete joke, turn it off, there are no benefits.

Offline vherub

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 05:08:24 AM »
A couple weeks ago, the wii corrupted the data on my gamecube nyko 64mb card. The card previously had been rock solid for the four years or so I had it with no problems whatsoever. Maybe it is the fact that the system gets much hotter.
Same as you, where I lost basically all the saves. Annoying for a half dozen titles, while the majority had simply been finished game saves.
After I reformatted, the card worked.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 07:18:52 AM »

Originally posted by: vherub
A couple weeks ago, the wii corrupted the data on my gamecube nyko 64mb card. The card previously had been rock solid for the four years or so I had it with no problems whatsoever. Maybe it is the fact that the system gets much hotter.
Same as you, where I lost basically all the saves. Annoying for a half dozen titles, while the majority had simply been finished game saves.
After I reformatted, the card worked.

Aren't you afriad that at some point in the future the card will get corrupted again?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 06:11:41 AM »
I heard about various crap happening if you leave WiiConnect24 on (ie, artifacts appearing on screen due to overheat), so I always leave it off...
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 06:40:20 AM »
That is true.  I don't think the heat management works while just in WiiConnect mode.  I have an extra external fan on mine, its in the Psyclone stand.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.