Author Topic: True Life : I'm a gamer  (Read 9496 times)

Offline SCF

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
True Life : I'm a gamer
« on: March 14, 2003, 04:14:10 AM »
Did anyone watched this program? I did and it was pretty interesting seeing the videogames in other perspective, the tournament level. I would have liked a bit more of info about this tournaments or something reated to them.
thks infernal monkey for my avatar

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 07:28:05 AM »
Ya I watched it. I thought most of the people were pretty lame except for the Unreal Tournament 2003 guy (can't remember his name). He kicked ass. I mean come on, 6 hrs of DOA:XB? I have heard from friends that the gameplay is worse than Beachspikers. It was interesting to see the Pac Man champ cause I never knew someone had done what he did, perfect game and all.  
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 08:11:39 AM »
They should have called it ...

"True Life: I Will NEVER Get Laid."

:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 08:57:44 AM »
quite immature mr powers
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 09:22:46 AM »
Mayhap, but you didn't see the show.  Made me embarrassed to be a gamer.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2003, 11:12:51 AM »
True life: Billy kind of looks like the guy who played Golden Tee.

Offline SCF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 11:44:21 AM »
I don't think it should had been called liked that , besides the golf tee champ must had some u know. And yes 6 hours into extreme volleyball its too much.Also the guys nickname was Fatal1ty.
thks infernal monkey for my avatar

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2003, 07:05:37 AM »
My thoughts on each individual segment.

The Order of Light - These guys are your typical run-of-the-mill gamer-geeks. The show should have focused on them more because this is what most "hardcore" gamers are like. Ok, well maybe they're a bit more than just "hardcore."

Fata1ity - This segment was fantastic. I think it really showed what professional gaming is about. He told them he was going to win it and he did. The thing about this kid is that he's smart. He's got a lot of ambition. He practices day in and day out. That's why he's number 1. He's also smart, investing his winnings.

Graig (Golden Tee guy) - This dude was a flat-out loser. Not to mention he's not even really a gamer. They shouldn't have put him on the show in the first place. He spent all his winnings gambling on more Golden Tee. He walks into the bar (and later the thournament) with a cocky "I'm gonna win" attitude. He never practiced. If you're going to be the Golden Tee champion, you should at least own your own freakin machine. He's got no ambition either. STILL trying to get on the PGA tour and STILL a loser who hasn't proposed to his girlfriend even though he said he would.

Billy (Pac-Man guy) - Here's another guy with LOTS of ambition. He wants to be the best and it shows. He's also got some insane skill for being able to get the perfect Pac-Man game.

All in all I thought the show was ok. The Fata1ity stuff was great but they should have focused more on the "average" gamers like The Order of Light. Graig's nota gamer, he's a compulsive gambler.

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2003, 09:35:45 AM »
I wouldn't call those "order of light" people "average" gamers.  C'mon.  These are a bunch of nerds for christ's sake.  I understand people liking video games and all, but naming themselves the "Order of Light"  I was embarassed for them.   I may post on a gaming website, but I have a life other than games.  I have ambitions and goals that don't involve video games.  I really do feel sorry for them.
it was time for a change.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2003, 12:17:35 PM »
"I was embarassed for them. I may post on a gaming website, but I have a life other than games. I have ambitions and goals that don't involve video games. I really do feel sorry for them. "

I'm not bashing you or anything, but some video game ambitions can be quite successful and profitable.  I'm a senior in high school, and am planning to major in business at college.  My goal is to run a video game development studio.  I don't want to be a programmer (I took a year of C++ last year and absolutely HATED it).  I want to run a business, and I think a video game developer is the perfect business for me to run.

Although I don't watch G4 anymore, one of my favorite shows on that channel was "Icons" which is a behind the scenes look at developers or franchises and things like that.  One that really interested me was the one on Insomniac Games (the guys behind the first 3 Spyro games, and Ratchet & Clank).  The President and CEO has an English degree from Princeton, and he's running a company that's made some of Sony's best platformers.  So I figure, I should be able to do what he does, especially with a business degree.  Yea.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2003, 04:12:18 PM »
Ok.  Let me clarify.  When I said I had goals and ambitions that didn't involve video games, I mean my ultimate life goal wasn't to become the best gamer or beat a certain game with a certain amount of points or whatever, which is what some of those people seem to be aiming toward. If you can make money at gaming, then good for you. But these prize tournaments don't bring in that much.  That guy that who won on the show only won 10,000 dollars.   That may seem like a lot but thats about what a part time employee at Mcdonalds makes.

I didn't mean that anything involving video games was sad, just what those people were working toward.  There is a difference between being the best gamer, and being a programmer or video game company owner.

Its nice when you gaming is a hobby but not when it absorbs your whole life.  Although, if I hit the lottery and didn't have to work ever again, I would probaly spend a lot more time "gaming"
it was time for a change.

Offline pimpcube

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2003, 06:02:21 PM »
well, myself, i am really surprised and extremely disappointed that the show failed to mention counter-strike. it is one of the most popular, if not the most popular online game in the world. there are many professional gamers and tournaments alike. the summer cpl tournament itself has a prize money of $200,000 per clan (5 people). this just proves how ignorant the people on mtv are about these types of subjects. and who the hell would play doa:xbv for 6 hours. there's no way u'd catch me playing that game for 1/2 an hour.

:hat

Offline Eminem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2003, 09:15:43 PM »
I think that The Order of Light is a little more than hardcore. I mean whoever wastes $200 on a crappy game like Steel Battalion is a little more than a hardcore gamer.
I'm Infinite