Author Topic: PC hackers and the Wiimote  (Read 5959 times)

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
PC hackers and the Wiimote
« on: December 21, 2006, 06:35:34 AM »
I don't know if you have seen it already but in this video, it shows a person using both the Wiimote and Nunchuck to play Call of Duty on the PC.

It has only been a month. At this rate, they may find something extraordinary (like the best way to play a FPS with the wiimote), and essentially, do the developers' job for them. This will allow developers to get to the nitty gritty and concentrate on gameplay. Also, how many Wiimotes do you think will get sold if they do find a spactularly intuitive way to play PC games? What if setting it up is just as intuitive? Counter-strike is hella-popular but imagine how insane it would be if everyone is using Wiimotes!

Your thoughts?
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
RE: PC hackers and the Wiimote
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 06:41:44 AM »
They got the Nunchuck working? NICE!!
I saw a video a week or 2 ago with someone playing Half Life 2 with just the WiiMote and it looked really cool but it needed the Nunchuck. If they got it working I think I'll never go back to playing FPS on my computer with the Keyboard and mouse.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 07:03:06 AM »
Bah, the GlovePIE guy is turning this whole thing political with his stupid disclaimer:

You may not use this software on military bases, or for military purposes, or in Israel (a terrorist state that bullies Muslim nations), or if you are a missionary (a genocidal activity), or a scientologist, or if you practice homeopathy (see website for reasons why).
------------

I usually try to separate the artist from his views, but this is a bit much. Fortunately there seems to be something called WiinRemote that works similarly though
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 07:10:15 AM »
Umm.....

Why do you care?

Who cares who made it, just as long as it was made!
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 07:35:35 AM »
Ya, that would usually be my position, Req...but this just goes too far is all; one of his provisos just hit a nerve (no need to tell you guys which)
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")

Offline UERD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 07:53:35 AM »
His software is apparently so advanced, it can reconfigure your computer's ICs into a primitive GPS receiver in order to detect your physical location: "If you try to run it in Israel it will give you an error."
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 08:10:11 AM »
I see a flood of FPS' being ported over from the PC sometime around summer of '07.
Hopefully some RTS' will follow them too.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 08:31:00 AM »
I think RTS games would actually be enjoyable to play on Wii, with the pointer interface. (I always thought that it was torture playing shooters with the two analog sticks, but meh...what do I know about FPSes?)
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
RE:PC hackers and the Wiimote
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 08:32:11 AM »

Originally posted by: BiLdItUp1
Ya, that would usually be my position, Req...but this just goes too far is all; one of his provisos just hit a nerve (no need to tell you guys which)

are you a scientologist?

if so, stop it.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 08:36:22 AM »

Originally posted by: BiLdItUp1 You may not use this software on military bases, or for military purposes, or in Israel (a terrorist state that bullies Muslim nations), or if you are a missionary (a genocidal activity), or a scientologist, or if you practice homeopathy (see website for reasons why).

WTF is that guy smoking?

Like he could enforce ANY of that...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 09:17:26 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
I see a flood of FPS' being ported over from the PC sometime around summer of '07.
Hopefully some RTS' will follow them too.

Interesting...

I wonder why noone has tried to play Starcraft with it?
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 09:43:49 AM »
No I'm not a scientologist and no he can't force any of that stuff. Honestly, I'm sorry I brought it up

...it's not like I have a bluetooth enabled computer anyways

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 10:20:35 AM »

Interesting...

I wonder why noone has tried to play Starcraft with it?

I recently completed a tutorial on making your own X-Box to USB adapter, and my brother could actually play StarCraft quite well with an X-Box controller, the Wii would be simply fantastic.

I still would prefer if Blizzard would simply make StarCraft & WarCraft more readily accessible on the Wii.  Only popularity will tell.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 10:25:33 AM »
I think that their long-ballyhooed game Ghost would be best-suited for Wii, actually. The graphics are more stylized, which is the Wii's strong point, and the controller would work really well with the mixed guns/stealth action that the game was supposed to have.
- thatguy

- vudu

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 12:40:00 PM »
I agree, but unfortunately that would just add more crappy old-gen ports to the pile of crappy old-gen ports heading to the Wii.  But hey, if it sells, it sells.  I'd buy it for $40, especially if the multiplayer was left intact for the Wii.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 12:54:03 PM »
From the Readme file:

This software is copyright.
By using this software you agree to obey the following license conditions:

* You can't make money using this software as part of a baseball simulation. This is for contractual reasons. But you can make as much money as you like using it for anything else.

* You may not use this software directly or indirectly for any military purpose. This includes, but is not limited to, training, research and development, controlling military hardware, directing military personel, or troop entertainment. You may not use this software anywhere on a military base or vessel. This applies to all versions of PIE.

* You may not export this software to Israel, or use it in Israel (including the occupied territories), until Israel has ended its occupation of the West Bank, Gaza Strip, Lebanon, Syria, and anywhere else it may occupy. If you try to run it in Israel it will give you an error.

* Missionaries may not use this software. It may not be used for any missionary purpose. Or any other genocidal purpose.

* You may not use this software to cheat at online or multiplayer games. What constitutes cheating depends on the game and the server. Just using a different input device shouldn't be considered cheating, but complex scripted actions to make things easier may be considered cheating. Don't get GlovePIE banned, or you will hurt everyone who wants to play with a VR glove. But feel free to cheat at single player!

Two thumbs down for this ass munch.  
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 01:43:49 PM »
Baseball-playing acupuncture-practicing missionaries working as soldiers in the Israeli army who like to play Counterstrike online and oppress Palestinians will be greatly disappointed .
- thatguy

- vudu

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 02:38:45 PM »
Umm....I agree with his third and forth point.....

The West Bank and Gaza Strip are some of the most densly populated areas in the world. Someone needs to end this war, and honestly, the only ones that can do that is Isreal; however, Isreal is being a little bitch.

Missionaries? Who are you to force your religious values on me or anyone for that matter?!  
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 03:04:11 PM »
He made the program, so he controls how its used
Much like, if a artist makes a song

"Like he could enforce ANY of that..."
Yes he can, billions of dollars are made every year from people breaking copyrights when people do software audits

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 03:05:18 PM »
israel is our friends. dont let this get too politcal though or else it can get locked. His terms of use are stupid and non enforcable.
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 03:18:06 PM »
Sure they are non-enforcable.......but that's not the point. The point was so people will read what he wrote, and therefore, read his opinions.

Worked pretty well, huh?
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 03:20:32 PM »
I guess but I still think we need to be careful discussing it here.
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 03:28:36 PM »
Agreed
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 03:52:10 PM »
Now I'm really sorry I brought it up...there's enough political bs on the Internet; it doesn't need to spill over into PGC. Really, I'm shocked it stayed civil this long, kudos.

That said, maybe we should steer this thread back on to discussion about how good/bad this implementation is. Did/can anyone actually try it?