Author Topic: Favorite Zelda Moment  (Read 19385 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Favorite Zelda Moment
« on: November 05, 2006, 09:50:50 PM »
In honor of Zelda:TP I am starting this thread to see what you guys feel was your most memorable Zelda moments. Here are mine:

1. The Final Battle with Ganon in OOT
2. The Dark World in Zelda: LTTP. I will never forget the thrill I got when I first encountered the dark world, it was so strange and was packed with emotion
3. Getting to Ganon in the original Zelda without the silver arrow (yeah that was brutal). Hey just seeing Ganon for the first time was great!
4. The Dodonga battle in OOT, I don't why this has stuck with me but I consider it one of the coolest and most awe inspiring battles
5. Hyrule stuck in time in Wind Waker. This is probaly one of the most amazing moments I've encountered in any game, the atmosphere there was breathtaking
6. The story and characters in Wind Waker. I can't choose a favorite but I have no doubt in my mind that Zelda; Wind Waker had some of the most deep characters of any Zelda game, not to mention the most emotional!
7. Well since this is the Wii thread, I am going to have to list Zelda: TPs first trailer that had horseback fighting, that was exhilarating!
8. Hyrule Field in Zelda: OOT. I remember being in awe of how huge the game was, it was a dream come true.
9. Getting the Master Sword in Zelda: LTTP.
10. Getting warped into the future in Zelda: OOT and seeing the destruction of Hyrule
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE: Favorite Zelda Moment
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 09:57:41 PM »
7. Pulling off Link's backward throw in Soul Calibur II (the "arm breaker")
6. Dark World (yes that was a very memorable part for me too, especially walking in as a human bunny...)
5. Play as Link in Smash Bros in Hyrule (man I miss that level)
4. Finally getting to take Epona out in the open in Ocarina of Time
3. Facing off against Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time
2. Facing off against Ganon in Ocarina of Time
1. Unlocking Ganondorf in Melee (so awesome...)
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline 31 Flavas

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Favorite Zelda Moments
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 09:59:22 PM »
The way that Gannon bit it in Wind Waker wasn't half bad either. But, yea... The final battle vs Gannon in OoT, just epic. Pretty damn hard to top that, here's to TP raising the bar!
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 10:29:52 PM »
Hyrule Castle stuck in time in WW.  It's probably the most emotional I've gotten over a Zelda game in my life.  I'd have to say it was because WW was not a traditional Hyrule experience, so finally getting back to Zelda's roots really hit me hard.

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 10:38:36 PM »
The opening part of LTTP. For some reason the first hour of that game is tattooed into my brain. I remember stepping out into the rain and getting a shiver. I now realize that the previous sentence was the geekiest I have ever written but it is also very true. After that would be the first ride with Epona. That was a truly breathtaking experience.
I'm a fan, not a fanboy.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
RE:Favorite Zelda Moments
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 11:01:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Cortez the Kiler
The opening part of LTTP. For some reason the first hour of that game is tattooed into my brain. I remember stepping out into the rain and getting a shiver. I now realize that the previous sentence was the geekiest I have ever written but it is also very true. After that would be the first ride with Epona. That was a truly breathtaking experience.

I forgot all about the opening part of LTTP (which is a shame on me since it is my favorite Zelda) that was a truly amazing gaming experience. What really got to me was when Link's uncle died after giving up the sword, for a game that didn't have much dialogue that scene was quite powerful.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 11:17:49 PM »
The entire final scene with Ganondorf in WW.  The setting, the dialogue, Ganon's demise, the flooding, I really liked it all.  Ganondorf seemed to have so much more personality in that game than the others.  I really liked what they did with his character.

Exploring the Deku Tree early on in OoT.

The cutscene with Saria when you leave Kokiri Forest in OoT.

Wandering around Zora's Domain for the first time in OoT.  Though not particularly big, I had fun running around exploring their watery cave, and diving from the top of the waterfall.
GOREGASM!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 12:14:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39
The entire final scene with Ganondorf in WW.  The setting, the dialogue, Ganon's demise, the flooding, I really liked it all.  Ganondorf seemed to have so much more personality in that game than the others.  I really liked what they did with his character.

Exploring the Deku Tree early on in OoT.

The cutscene with Saria when you leave Kokiri Forest in OoT.

Wandering around Zora's Domain for the first time in OoT.  Though not particularly big, I had fun running around exploring their watery cave, and diving from the top of the waterfall.

Oh yeah it was great to see Ganondorf actually have a personality in the game, it made him a much more complex character than "Evil wizard who becomes a pig faced monster"

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 12:37:29 AM »
1.  Ending of Link's Awakening...
2.  "The Storm" in Wind Waker (Traveling from Windfall to Outset after you get bombs)...
3.  Making my way through the Lost Woods in order to find the Master Sword in LttP...
4.  Making my way through the Lost Woods to find Saria and learning Saria's Song in OoT... (Obsession with forests GET!)
5.  Final battle in Wind Waker...
6.  Landing on Dragon Roost Island in Wind Waker (Mmmm, music...)

~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 01:15:08 AM »
8. Sailing across the ocean for the first time in WW
7. The introduction to LttP where you go through the storm into the castle
6. Walking out of the Kokiri Forest for the first time into Hyrule Field in OoT
5. Final Battle OoT
4. Spending countless hours trying to find the triforce OoT, and in turn seeing every nook and cranny of the game.
3. Final Battle WW (so epic and awesome)
2. First time playing the original LoZ
1. Facing Gannon(LoZ) for the first time as a 5 year old and whooping his blue a$$
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 01:16:17 AM »
Not figuring out the solid blocks are occassionally movable with no indication that they are in Link's Awakening right in the first dungeon. Oh, wait, that counts as "least favourite".

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 01:58:46 AM »
Yay, a Zelda thread I can read without fear of spoilers.

- Wind Waker end credits music
- Playing in Outset Island (pot lady + other random stuff)
- First playing Wind Waker and saying wow at the visuals
- Majoras Mask end credits music
- Majoras Mask everything else
- Lost Woods music in LTTP
- Everything else is one awesome blur

Edit'd more in

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 02:39:40 AM »
1) Playing Zelda(tm)

Isn't this against regs?

Edit: Made the joke clear that it's the games in the Zelda series.  Sheesh people.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 02:40:25 AM »
-Seeing Link blink while swimming underwater (in OoT)
-The way Link looked at his ocarina after learning a song (OoT)
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 05:49:22 AM »
Interesting how some of my favourite ones are taken.  In semi-reverse play order:

- The entire first three days of Majora's Mask
- Entering the Moon in Majora's Mask.
- Many more scenes from MM - almost everything about the game's story is memorable.
- The entire final sequence with Ganon in the Wind Waker
- Finding the Pirates on Windfall Island during the storm in Wind Waker
- First returning to Hyrule as an adult in Ocarina of Time
- Trying out each new instrument on the Wind Fish's Egg in Link's Awakening
- Credit theme from A Link to the Past
- Opening sequence from A Link to the Past
- Opening screen/music in The Legend of Zelda  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 07:37:19 AM »
I have far too many to name, but I'll list some of the most memorable ones.
Mind you, only certain ones are actual events in the games.  Most of the really memorable things for me are things I did in the game, that meant something to me, that you didn't necessarily have to do.

- The ending of Link's Awakening.
- Holding my Gameboy to my ear for minutes at a time, just listening to the music at Mt. Tamaranch (Link's Awakening)
- Running around in the windmill for minutes at a time, just listening to the Song of Storms (Ocarina of Time)
- For some reason, I really loved teleporting in Ocarina of Time.
- Arriving on the moon in Majora's Mask.
- Sneaking around Gerudo fortress even when I didn't need to.
- Spending mucho time in Lon Lon Ranch, hanging out with Maron, riding Epona, listening to the music, and attacking chickens.
- Entire ending to Wind Waker.
- Finally beating the second dungeon in Link's Awakening, after three years of being stuck not finding the master key (found it by coincidence one day).
- Exploring and running about the Lost Woods and the Kokori Village.
- Fooling about in Kakariko, hookshotting from roof to roof.
- Sailing in Wind Waker, and hanging out at the cabana just relaxing myself through the game.
- Utilizing the Bunny Hood in Majora's Mask.

More later, perhaps.  I haven't even mentioned Minish Cap or LttP and several others, and I haven't nearly covered everything in the games I have mentioned.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 07:58:54 AM »
A Link to the Past was my first Zelda game.  I saw a bit of it at a friend's house.  This friend sucked at the game since he didn't even have the first pendant but seeing him wander around town and try out different items looked like fun.  At the time all the games I had played were all action with little thinking.  The concept of one world seemed really new and different to me and also looked like a lot of fun.

My brother wanted to get a copy of Madden '94 because it was a five player game and thus we could make full use of our Super Multitap (apparently four-player games like Slam Masters and NBA Jam weren't good enough).  A friend at school was willing to sell him Madden '94 and ended up throwing in LttP FOR FREE!!  Madden was whatever and soon we started playing Zelda.  We didn't have the instructions so we relied on the in-game help to figure out what to do.  As a result we thought that all you had to do was get the three pendents and kill Agahnim to beat the game.  At the time all my brothers and I played were action games that if you were good enough to beat only took at most an hour.  LttP was already long enough to require us to save so just the three dungeons seemed like a fair length to us.  Imagine our surprise when we appeared on the Pyramid of Power in the Golden Land and found out we were not even halfway through.  That is my greatest gaming moment period and one that wouldn't have happened if we bought the game new.  I'm now familiar enough with games to know that there wouldn't be talk about the Golden Land or the brief dimensional travel prior to the third dungeon without the player going to the Golden Land outright.  But at the time I didn't know better and got a fantastic surprise as a result.

My second best memory is the beginning of every Zelda game.  That's the "I'm playing a new Zelda!!" feeling and it is always absolute joy.  Just exploring that first area and getting introduced to the characters provides a feeling of wonder every time.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 08:17:28 AM »
Long walks around Lake Hylia under the moon, seeing the vast 3d expanse and ingenuity of OOT (little things like lighting a stick on fire to light another torch blew my mind early on), helping the characters in MM, seeing the desolation of Dark World, being pleased that MC could make Zelda still feel like new, the various simple plot points in LA and walking around with Bowow felt like Zelda had one foot in fantasy and one in the real world.

It's an adventure you can trudge through at your own pace; a world where the characters go about their simple lives without worrying about the evil that supposedly is going to engulf their world, and a great metaphor for the real one.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 08:47:55 AM »
When Link saluted the giant skeleton in MM.

And the songs, oh yes, the songs...

My sister and I can probably both still recall nearly all of the OoT songs.

I find the song of time still gets stuck in my head on occasion...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline SuperCube

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 08:57:10 AM »
For me, it would have to be having one of those skeletal knights fallings off a platform into the abyss in the Shadow Temple (OoT). I thought that was pretty funny.

And, any battle that involved the Iron Knuckles (fighting two at once in OoT was definitely awesome) *nod*
"I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."

- A. J. Liebling (1904-1963)

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 09:05:28 AM »
Until some of the later posts in this thread, I was disappointed by the lack of Majora's Mask moments.

For tense moments, you can't beat grabbing the Ocarina from the Skull Kid as you're about to rewind time for the first time, avoiding a possible end of the world, or finishing Anju and Kafei's sidequest, which can only be done at the end of the last day.  Tense moments involving time in Majora's Mask can't be topped by any other Zelda game since they don't have a time system.  You know what will happen if you run out of time and you want to finish your quest so you can obtain the mask to prove that you did it when you rewind time before it's too late.

There are a lot of other great moments in the other games, but I wanted Majora's Mask to get some more love here.

Here's a moment that's my least favorite, from Four Swords Adventures...delivering the final blow to Ganon, and as he finishes dying, the game returns to the title screen because one of our GBAs' batteries ran out.  Seeing as how we were literally at the end sequence, there was no need to make us replay the whole last stage when the other player could've gone through the ending if there was any dialogue to be "A button prompted".  Okay, it's not a moment in the game, but rather out of the game, but with the impeccable timing of the battery death I figured I should at least mention it.  Does battery outage require a SPOILER warning?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006, 09:08:57 AM »
Here are mine:
- The title screen for "Ocarina of time"
- Getting away with stealing in A Link's awakening, then getting punished for it
- Me being the kamikaze Link in a Zelda: 4 swords adventure session with my friends
- Reuniting Anju and Kafei in Majora's mask
- How the game got darker as the end was nearing in Majora's mask
- ALL of the Ocarina songs in Ocarina of time
- Link getting the "invisible" tunic in Wind waker
- The final battle in Majora's mask
- When Young Link saves the Goron tribe in OoT, then runs away from the Goron's affection
- The ending to OoT
- The intro to Link's awakening (simple, but epic and powerful)
- When Ganondorf slaps Zelda silly in WW (I know its cruel, but comes out as being un-intentionally funny).
- Seeing the destruction of Hyrule for the first time in OoT
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2006, 09:40:40 AM »
Ha ha, oh yeah, the THIEF trick in Link's Awakening is awesome.

I agree with Ian on the opening - it's always fun to start a new Zelda game, and practically all of them have a good opening.

"I like men" - I have no idea what I was going to write here, I got distracted by work, but I think I'll leave this comment in here for posterity's sake.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2006, 09:43:33 AM »
Top 10 Zelda Moments This will be hard.

10) Shadow Link in OoT
9) The Animation and Style of Wind Waker (Seeing it for the first time was breathtaking)
8) Find the First Dungeon in the NES Legend of Zelda
7) The Dark World of Link to the Past (Turning into a Rabbit and all)
6) Playing the Twillight Princess Demo at Nintendo Fusion Tour
5) OoT Ghost Ship in the Spirit Temple
4) Playing 4 swords with 4 people.  Devious, Fun, Frustrating and pure Joy.
3) Wind Waker Ending Battle and Death Blow
2) The Forest Temple in OoT
1) Pulling the Master Sword in Link to the Past

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2006, 09:44:33 AM »
- The introduction to OoT.
- The phantom Ganon battle. Just the whole idea of having him ride out of paintings fit so well with the creepiness of the Forest Temple (which still remains my favorite Zelda dungeon, by far)
- Calling the giants to save Termina.
- Getting to the underwater Hyrule in WW.

I would list more, but I realized they would all be OoT moments, and they would amount to basically a summary of the game. Smash_Brother, I completely agree about the music.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.