Author Topic: Mario Kart NOT online  (Read 5862 times)

Offline Zschokke24

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« on: March 06, 2003, 04:48:48 PM »
I was surfing today and i came to nintendo.com and i went into looking at the online plans and coming games, and i saw quotes by Miyamoto that says mario kart is not online because they had too many bugs and it was too hard. Now i dont believe that is was too hard cuz i know they could do it, but they did say they were strongly considering networking GCs to support more then 4 players. So i hope this is a false statement and MK will be online. But i hate this!!!
" A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever" - Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 04:52:08 PM »
Do you have a link? This is pretty big stuff and would've reached a major site by now (as does EVERY Miyamoto interview).
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 04:52:56 PM »
that is to depressing to answer.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 04:55:16 PM »
I don't really mind because I'm not a fan of online gaming, however, that must suck for those of  you who are fans of it.
it was time for a change.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 05:20:07 PM »
I like online gaming, but gaming is expensive and complicated enough--no online experience will ever overtake the simple pleasure of four friends huddled about the TV, duking it out.

Call me a purist if you want, but this is not bad news for me, whether it's cool or not.  The problem is, this simple choice on Nintendo's part, whether it ends up being the case or not, will be used by every second guy on the 'net to bash Nintendo and say how "out of touch" they are.

The only people out of touch are those who see online gaming as the only way to go.

The only people out of touch are those who believe taking a game online makes it "better," which isn't inherently the case.  Would Mario Kart be fun online?  Sure.  Does it matter if it isn't?  I guess it will to all the people who think it has to be online.  Can't very well change their minds.

I'll have fun with it either way, and probably in equal amounts.

And yes, I understand some people have no friends, but hey, get some.  ;-)

Don't call me heartless--I was just kidding.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2003, 05:22:49 PM »
Mario Kart GC not Online

Mario Kart GC not in my game library
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2003, 05:23:43 PM »
That is REALLY, REALLY sad.  You poor, poor man.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2003, 05:31:32 PM »
Again, how bout a link please?

Offline GoldShadow

• View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2003, 05:34:20 PM »
I like online games, but not really racing, so I don't care.

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2003, 05:37:27 PM »
I didn't expect this game to be online. Why? Because Nintendo hasn't announced an Online Strategy yet. Guys until Nintendo says something about them launching an online strategy we won't see an online game from them. Not really much of a bummer though, Mario Kart is still fun by itself.
Best Browser Available
http://www.mozilla.org
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline KiLL3R

• View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2003, 05:53:32 PM »
Where did you get this from give us a link please  

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2003, 06:00:15 PM »
I'd be very interested in the link, since I don't think Miyamoto has said any such thing.  Very shady, Zschokke24.  You need to supply a link or a quote or something in the future when you make posts with such claims.  Come on!  ;-)

Offline Taco

• View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2003, 06:06:56 PM »
Looks like he isn't coming back.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2003, 06:21:04 PM »
This story is a bunch of bull.  Simple as that.  Too hard?  Since when did Miyamoto ever step down from a project because it was too hard?  That's not the man that I know and love.  Christ people, use some common sense.

Anyways, I really don't care whether it's online or not.  I ain't going online with my GameCube, and I assure you that the majority of people are thinking the same thing.  It's actually a small minority who even play PC games online on a regular basis.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2003, 06:27:40 PM »
Here comes Grey Ninja: The Thinking Man's Ninja, always offerring just the right timely offering at just the right time.  Fear him!

I won't go so far as to say that online gaming is a "fad," because fads fade away, and I doubt this one will, but over time, people will hopefully learn the inherent value of gaming at its foundations.  Online games are only as important as multiplayer.  Now, who among you will claim that doing away with single-player games is a good idea?

Likewise, it's just as absurd to demand that all games that are multiplayer be online.  What if it doesn't befit certain games, or certain companies' current business models?  There's a lot at work here.  And in the end, if the games good, you should play it.

That said, I know a lot of people who have a lot of fun with bad games online.  That's rather telling, now isn't it?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2003, 06:35:57 PM »
hehe...  I am not THAT bad am I?

But yes, I would agree that online gaming is not a fad, but I don't think that it's mature enough to be a profitable business strategy right now.  I play online games all the time on my PC to tell you the truth, but I am not that interested in taking my console online at this point in time.  I don't think that the infrastructure is solid enough yet.  There aren't enough people that interested in online games to pay a monthly fee, and there aren't enough people with broadband, and there just isn't enough interest in general.  I play games on my PC because they are great for playing with friends I have online, and they are free (free connections, and no monthly fees.  To top it off, the game I play most is free.  (America's Army)).  To do the same thing on a console, I have to buy the broadband adaptor, pay monthly fees, buy a network hub and some more network cable, and buy the games on top of that.  Buying a console game implies that you are going to play that game a great deal.  I only buy PC games when they are available for $20 or less.  Console games take forever to reach that pricepoint, and I can't wait that long.  An online game I am sure I wouldn't play on a regular basis, and I can't justify that cost.

Of course, I always reserve the right to change my mind if something earth-shattering came along from EAD.  (And I am talking seriously good.  A lot more than Mario Kart)
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2003, 06:45:44 PM »

hehe... I am not THAT bad am I?

Grey Ninja, I meant no sarcasm!  ;-)

I agree--having played a online on the PC (Half Life, Starcraft) and enjoying it, I find that the ONLY reason I do so is the ease of play and the free nature of it.  Free as in NO MONEY.  Also, my computer's online all the time anyway, so big deal.

My console gaming time is relegated mostly to one-player games, and the multiplayer games are always better, to me, with close friends.  There's nothing like hackers and just utter losers to destroy your online time in a game like Half Life, not to mention lag worries for us who still don't have cable capabilities.  I personally just like my console the way it is.  Oh well, to each his own.

For instance, everyone's always talking about Animal Crossing going online, but few people have really thought about how it would affect the GAME itself--the nature of the game.  It's not a huge sprawling world--it's just a quiet place of solitude, where you can go whenever you like and dig around and rearrange your furniture.

IF it goes online, I hope and pray it's just for updates for more games or dialogue or presents or holiday-themed stuff (for instance, if you want Christmas, or other cultural holiday, you could actually choose a Christmas download instead of a lame "gift day" motif).  If it's to have thousands of gamers snooping around your town, tromping over your flowers and leaving perverted billboards everywhere, I'll want none of it.  If it's to make it easier to visit a friend's town or type letters, then I'll be up for that, too.  But if this becomes a MMORPG (I hate that term), I'll be sick with despair.  ;-)

Offline Tael

• View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2003, 07:01:41 PM »
GS: What about online possibilities for the game?

SM: We've been conducting online experiments with Mario Kart for quite some time. This time around, we've looked at it, and I still feel that [the kind of experience Mario Kart delivers] would be very difficult to pull off online.
Shigeru Miyamoto Q&A

Offline MikeHrusecky

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Mario Kart NOT online
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2003, 07:03:24 PM »