Author Topic: Heroes  (Read 49686 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Heroes
« on: October 02, 2006, 04:50:13 PM »
Has anyone else been watching this show on NBC? I'm not one of those "OMG Lost" people, but I couldn't help but get locked into watching. The second episode's almost over, and I already can't wait for next Monday.

I think I'm hooked.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: Heroes
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 04:58:45 PM »
Knowing Karl's totally nonsexual cruch on SUDA51 (it is nonsexual, right?) I was expecting this thread to be about the upcoming Wii game.  Oh well.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 05:02:06 PM »
Oh yeah, I'm totally hot for Grasshopper Manufacture (in a completely heterosexual way), but this is all about the show. Although I am most definitely crazy for the other Heroes.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 05:38:16 AM »
It jumps around to much and is to serious.  I want to really like it but I feel that it's missing something.  It feels a lot like Battlestar Galactica to me but without the whole we are what is left of human civilizations.  Which makes that series works, and being in the confines of space.

As I said I'm sort of on the fence on this one.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
RE:Heroes
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 08:51:27 PM »
I would imagine the jumping around will stop once all the separate storylines inevitably collide with one another.  

As for the seriousness of it all, I do kind've agree. It doesn't bother me, but I have also thought the show could use some Joss Whedon influence. Then again, what show doesn't?  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 09:39:04 PM »
I agree, it's a good concept, but it seems to have too many irons in the fire. Watching the first two episodes I kept thinking that this thing has been done better in Buffy and Angel and Smallville.

The Japanese guy needs to mention Nintendo.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 06:49:10 PM »
One of my favorite new shows.

And it's serious, but not TOO serious. Hiro provides a lot of comic relief just by his personality. Episode 3 was fantastic.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 08:27:49 PM »
"the show could use some Joss Whedon influence"

Indeed it could. It seems to get better with each chapter/episode. No#4 with "Future Trunks" being the best one yet. It has a way's to go but at this pace the only show that I'll watch until January 2007

"Season 6: The Chinese Empire Strikes Back!"
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 01:46:43 AM »
I agree it is the best new show on TV. Right now I watch these shows on a constant basis:

Heroes
Smallville
Supernatural
Lost (my favorite show currently)
Jericho (it has potential)
Battlestar Galactica (still as deep as ever)
Survivor (Not one of my favorites and this is the first season I have ever watched since I do not usually care for reality shows)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 08:29:52 AM »
Man, this can be a gruesome show! People waking up in the middle of their own autopsy and having to put themselves back together, threatening to put your high heel through someones temple, not to mention stealing people's brains...

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 12:25:28 AM »
I'm really lovin this show, it of course has that X-men kinda of thing going but doesn't make it out to be about blue and yellow spandex.  It's serious and it hasn't fallen into that dorky Lameness that other supernatural shows have.

However that younger brother that thinks he can fly seems like a total noob, couldn't fly if someone handed him airline tickets.

Another thumbs up goes to minorities getting some spots as non stereotypical roles.  For instance that blond chick not having a white kid, or the asian guys not being doctors of some kinds.

Oh and a black chick and white guy hooking up, OMG thats blasphemy!  lol.  Expect the show to be taken off the air. lol.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 12:38:07 AM »

Originally posted by: ShaolinKilla
I'm really lovin this show, it of course has that X-men kinda of thing going but doesn't make it out to be about blue and yellow spandex.  It's serious and it hasn't fallen into that dorky Lameness that other supernatural shows have.

However that younger brother that thinks he can fly seems like a total noob, couldn't fly if someone handed him airline tickets.

Another thumbs up goes to minorities getting some spots as non stereotypical roles.  For instance that blond chick not having a white kid, or the asian guys not being doctors of some kinds.

Oh and a black chick and white guy hooking up, OMG thats blasphemy!  lol.  Expect the show to be taken off the air. lol.

I think that is funny in our culture that is more accepted and thus you see it more when a black guy gets together with a white woman, but the opposite is hard to find. In fact the only shows that I watch where a black woman and a white guy are together is heroes and Lost. Not sure about the streotype thing not being in effect, that one Japanese guy is like your stereotypical nerdy Japanese guy.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 11:38:59 AM »
I remember "Friends" did it too but it felt like they did it because they were always questioned as to why they never showed any black people when the show is supposed to be based in New York, the melting pot of ethnicity.  Seriously try watching the show and look for background actors, it'll be tough to find any non white ppl.

Ah I forgot about "nerdy Azn guy".  I don't think that one has been used in awhile.  I only mentioned doctors becuase i watched some dateline episode about stereotypes and they sat down with that Azn guy from Law and Order, u know the psychologist or whatever.  He raised some interesting things he stated all of his roles have been doctors of some kind and that in his long career he has yet to kiss an actress.  Which made me think I've seen just about everyone kiss everyone else from girl on girl and even guy on guy, but can't remeber ever seeing a Azn guy kiss a woman unless the show or movie was completely revolving around Azn people.

Wow i think i ranted there a bit too much.......sorry!

Anyone else crack up laughing when the 2 Azn guys were in the alley with those thugs and the one Azn guy says "you don't want to mess with us, my friend here has a power" and then the thug just knocks him out, lol.  

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 02:08:44 PM »
Just because a show uses a stereotype doesn't make it stereotypical. The Asians in the show (particularly Hiro, which is amusing in and of itself) are consciously stereotypical, and they will slowly break that mold as the show goes on. We got a hint of this at the end of this week's episode.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 02:39:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
Just because a show uses a stereotype doesn't make it stereotypical. The Asians in the show (particularly Hiro, which is amusing in and of itself) are consciously stereotypical, and they will slowly break that mold as the show goes on. We got a hint of this at the end of this week's episode.

Personally I don't have a problem with stereotypes in TV shows, and I do think you are right about that shifting. I do like Heroes in that it is serious without being TOO serious, definately a tough thing to do without falling into the trap of it being too corney or too "realistic".

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 04:58:52 PM »
OM, this show is so wicked.
I downloaded today episodes 1 to 4 and watched all of them, straight.
When Hiro appeared at the end of episode 4 it was so kick-ass, with the katana on his back, like so cool.

I'm also hooked on Eureka, but I have yet to watch it from the first episode because I missed it when it premiered on SPACE (Canadian sci-fi channel), albeit I already have the torrents to download episodes 1 to 12 just so I can watch such coolness from the beginning.

Oh and there's also Dexter, currently downloading it, I'm interested in it after reading its premise on the IGN-Peer blog.

Anyway, back to Heroes, I think you can almost see that there is going to be a team made from the characters that they've focused on except the douchebag with glasses that is father to the cheerleader.

Edit: Actually it wasn't from IGN-Peer, it was from IGN-Matt.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 08:14:14 PM »
I don't think the cheerleader's dad is necessarily a bad guy. They are just trying to misdirect.

I think the geneticist's pixie neighbor is bad though.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 04:45:39 AM »
There's going to be a marathon on Sunday, so maybe I will catch up.  I only saw the first episode, but missed the others.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 05:20:55 AM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution
Heroes
Smallville
Supernatural
Lost (my favorite show currently)
Jericho (it has potential)
Battlestar Galactica (still as deep as ever)
Survivor (Not one of my favorites and this is the first season I have ever watched since I do not usually care for reality shows)

I like to say I wish Battlestar Galactica get condensed some.  I fast forward through like half of  it because its just dead time and still pick up almost all of the dialog.  It's sort of annoying.  I should watch Lost but I haven't seen any of the earlier episodes.  I've been Casually watching Heroes.  Jericho, Supernatural, and Survivor... Wasn't really interested initially.

Originally posted by: VGrevolution

Originally posted by: ShaolinKilla

I think that is funny in our culture that is more accepted and thus you see it more when a black guy gets together with a white woman, but the opposite is hard to find. In fact the only shows that I watch where a black woman and a white guy are together is heroes and Lost. Not sure about the sterotype thing not being in effect, that one Japanese guy is like your stereotypical nerdy Japanese guy.

I think there stereotyping for there type of show.  I think its funny and all because I tend to watch a lot of cartoons and how they have the cast mixed up is perfectly natural for a cartoon.  In fact they might even have more of the majority in this case then Cartoons tend to now days.  Everyone trying to be politically correct so in TVLand it seems that Minorities are more common then the Majorities.  Also from what I know about them, these people are more in line with DC's Metahumans then Marvels Mutants.

*skipped bottom posts because I haven't seen this weeks episode yet*  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 09:03:00 AM »
I am disappointed in Hereos so far.  It isn't a bad show, but it isn't great.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will not even complain about acting because I think a show is much more than just acting...it is the entire premise, and I am willing to bet the acting will get better as characters are more defined.

What does bother me is the poorly written stories and the cliches that they rely on too much in the show.

Examples of bad writing:  

The young Geneticist whose father died.  He comes to believe his father was truly working on something special after doubting his father for years.

He even believes his father was murdered for his research, and has proof because he was threatened, and his father's apartment was raided.  But then after four episodes he is crying willing to give up EVERYTHING because one politician wouldn't listen to him?  Some conviction this guy has...special since it appears he will be one of the leaders.

The cheerleader that has one of the greatest gifts in the world for her, is also ashamed and freaked out about it.  She will never blemish, can't get hurt and yet she is trying to kill herself?  Stupid.  I personally thought it would be cool if she embraced her power and did the stunts for kicks, that seems to fit more.  But then this guy tries to rap her, accidentally kills her.  Strips her clothes I guess to rap a dead girl.  Hides her body...but not very well.  And on the autopsy room they do a cheesy sneak away without the doctor seeing her, and someone she gets home early?  It was stupid.  But not as stupid as its about to get.

She then decides to do a revenge killing on the guy.  Why the guy decided to drive her home is beyond me.  He obviously, had to remember killing her, raping her, and dragging her body away...but she asks for a ride home and he says YES!!!  Great.  Perfect.  

I don't even want to touch the storyline with the Hulk ID mother and her son, because right now it is so boring and stupid, I don't want to waste my time.

The Brothers who can fly are interesting, but I have to wonder why the younger brother isn't experimenting and trying to figure how to fly on his own?  He just assumes he has to be around his brother odd.  Is that just  plot device so we can continue to see the politican as a jerk until he finally has a revelation...probably at his brothers expense?

This plot holes do not make the show unbearable as Hiro is still a great character, and the story could any minute get better.  But one thing that is truly missing that would make the show better is truly funny comedic moments.  So far with haven't had anything funny happen in the show.  It has been one dramatic story element to the next.  

Something Lost does great is actually have really funny moments involving all the characters.  And really is able to take a serious moment and defuse it for a second with comedy.  These types of Dramas need that release to help the story move along and stay lighthearted.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 09:53:20 AM »
I've caught a few minutes of three of the four episodes shown so far, and read a bunch about it on Wikipedia.  I haven't seen a full episode, though, so maybe I'll catch all of the fourth one on the web site and watch the marathon on Sunday to see the first three.  Then I'll be caught up!

I don't watch much TV, but when I do it seems to be NBC lately.  Conan and Leno are always okay to fall back on, Deal Or No Deal has hot women, 1 vs. 100 seemed okay when it premiered, watching The Biggest Loser is strangely captivating (I don't usually like reality shows, but I like this one and I also watched all of The Contender).  Yeesh, I even watched America's Got Talent.  And now I want to watch Heroes.  Makes me wonder why they're complaining about ratings.  Should I be watching more ABC and CBS and FOX or something?

Anyway, I hope Heroes has some big freaky plot twist(s).  I feel like one of those.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 10:03:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
The Brothers who can fly are interesting, but I have to wonder why the younger brother isn't experimenting and trying to figure how to fly on his own?  He just assumes he has to be around his brother odd.

Oh you haven't suspected yet? Oh hohohohohoho, the politician can fly for sure, but his brother can copy the others special abilities.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 10:40:54 AM »
Caliban:  If that is the case...that COULD be cool...but also could be cheesy.  Lets hope for the later.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 12:54:48 PM »
Good idea but i remember him saying to his brother he levitated without anyone near him in an earlier episode.  Maybe he copies powers for a long period of time rather a short period of time, or permanetly.  Who knows but im still very interested.

I will say though i too did not like the Cheerleader getting a ride with the R@pist/Quarterback and the geneticist guy so quickly doubting himself.  It was very unrealistic.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 01:14:41 PM »
Oh I understood why the girl wanted a ride.  She wants revenge...but apparently in the comicbook she saves his life?  So what she is willing to wreck his car, and try to kill, but then couldn't do it?

STUPID.

My question is WHY would the Quarterback ride with her.  At the end of Episode 3 when she dies, it is obvious she has clothes on...and he hasn't done anything to her yet...and he is surprised and scared.

Yet, the doctor doing the autopsy said she was found naked and dragged hidden somewhere.  So he had to of raped a dead person...which most people just don't do...and since she died, there should have been evidence that the autopsy doctor pulled for DNA tests.  

He sees her alive at school freaks out.  Yet that night when he sees her, he is completely willing to hang with her.  GREAT!!!  

The whole concept is stupid.

And yeah, the writers admitted that he can mimic powers, but only temporarily.