Author Topic: Evanescence - Fallen  (Read 3360 times)

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Evanescence - Fallen
« on: March 02, 2003, 03:17:40 PM »
I've just finished listening to Evanescence's new album "Fallen", which releases in the US on Tuesday.  Many stores will be selling it for a very inexpensive $10, and I highly suggest that you pick up a copy.  WWE fans will likely already be familiar with the track "Bring Me To Life", which was used as the theme for the No Way Out Pay-Per-View.  Or you might have heard "My Immortal" on the soundtrack to "Daredevil".

However, "Bring Me To Life", while the most likely to get wide radio airplay, is probably my least favorite song on the album.  The rest of the songs have less Linkin Park-esque "rapping" and feature more of Amy Lee's amazing vocal work, and some really powerful and "crunchy" guitar work by Ben Moody.  In fact, being a fan of Linkin Park, I was immediately pulled in by the single "Bring Me To Life", which is likely why the label chose that track for release, but having heard the rest of what "Fallen" has to offer, the band is definitely not a Linkin Park clone.

"Fallen" is produced by Wind-Up Records, who also took a chance on a band named Creed, and like Creed, Evanescence is poised to leap to the forefront of rock.  Hopefully the band's "epic, dramatic, dark rock" (as Amy Lee calls it) sound won't suffer the same backlash that Creed faced as they launched to superstardom.

When you pick up the album, give yourself a treat for taking the chance, and skip straight ahead to track five, "Haunted".  Video game fans are immediately wish that this song was featured in a game like CastleVania, or Eternal Darkness.  It's got an incredibly dark and moody feel, and would be right at home in the soundtrack to a horror or suspense thriller flick.  But it's the chamber choir sound (arranged solely by Amy Lee) that puts the song right over the top.

Run out and grab it Tuesday, and let me know what you think.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Evanescence - Fallen
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2003, 06:18:56 PM »
OMG my friends just saw them at the 9:30 club in D.C.  They said that girl can sing her ass off.  I'll have to get back to you when I get the CD.
it was time for a change.

Offline zekermit

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Evanescence - Fallen
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 05:57:21 PM »
I listen to an Indianapolis alternative station and they play Bring me to life. I don't think I've heard the other one. Anyways you mentioned Creed, is this because they are similar? What band would say they sound the most like?  
My Games:
Eternal Darkness,Madden 2003, NCAA 2003, Metriod Prime,
Zelda: OoT, Time Splitters 2, Tony Hawk 4, and Zelda: Wind Waker is on the way!!!!!!!!

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Evanescence - Fallen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 04:47:48 AM »
Just a reminder ... the album releases today.  Go get it!  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline sequoia

• View Profile
Evanescence - Fallen
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 07:58:21 AM »
That girl kinda looks like my Brothers girlfriend! They are awsome, and I think they'er christen. I think I'll buy it. Thanks for the tip rick  
I am what I created. Believing in my fate. Integrity is my name.
All that I am doin, can never be ruined. The Torn Outlaw.

Offline Thrackerzog

• View Profile
Evanescence - Fallen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 11:16:04 AM »
This is my new favorite band. I also reccomend if at all possible to try and find their first album "Origin" It's just as good if not better than "Fallen"
In case you care, my favorite track off "Fallen" is number 6 "Tourniquet"