Author Topic: English to AOL Translator  (Read 8104 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
English to AOL Translator
« on: February 11, 2003, 09:33:25 PM »
This is hilarious.  It's a translator to translate English as any of us might use, into something that your average AOL user might say.
Go here for the translator

For example, here's the latest news report on the main page in AOL speak.

R3TALEARS HAEV HAD TH3M FOR DAYS111!! WTF LOL W3B R3TALEARS LIEK 3BWORLDCOM!!!11!! OMG AND GMES2PCOM!!1! LOL HAEV ALREADY SHIPED
WEVE11!!!1 OMG LOL RECAIEVD AN INT3RNAL E-MALE FROM A WEL KNOWN RETALE CHANE AMPLOYE TAHT GAEV THEM TEH GREN LIGHT 2 DISTRIBUTE TEH DISCS NOW
S2RAS1!!!11 OMG IN ON DA DAAL R CUR3NTLY BREAKNG TEH REL3AES DAET FOR TEH Z3LDA BONUS DISC!1!! CAL UR LOCAL R3TALEAR 2 SE IF U CAN GET UR PR3-ORDER BONUS EARLY1!11 OMG WTF LOL

Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 05:42:58 AM »
See that is more h4xx04 than AOL. AOL has far more massively abbreviated chains built in...

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 09:13:36 AM »
In my opinion though, 1337 = h4x0r = AOL...  At any rate, I know I've seen people who type almost EXACTLY like that.  (unfortunately)

Offline yrrab436

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 01:36:21 PM »
I was tempted for quite some time to start a thread on the topic of "ISP discrimination," but I felt that would be in violation of the forum rules.  I'm an AOL user, and I find it infuriating when I go to a site and get a message shoved in my face amounting to "AOL users aren't welcome here."  I can't believe the enmity people hold towards both deserving and undeserving AOL members.  What's worse is the comments amounting to "too bad, get a new ISP" that I see sometimes.  Thankfully it's not a serious problem yet, but it seems to me that this "ISP discrimination" is a real growing problem.  Although the AOL browser indeed has many problems, it is much better than it used to be.  I used to openly condemn the AOL browser, but it's actually getting better (such as taking up a miniscule amount of memory when minimized).

It turned:
I hate the growing trend of "ISP discrimination."
into
I HAET TEH GROWNG TREND OF ISP DISCRIMINATION1!!! WTF

I have to admit that the link is funny though.  Perhaps I'd be more offended if I were a "12-Year-Old-AOLer."

For the record, I discriminate as well, as I've blocked all Yahoo!, Hotmail, and several other free email service domains in my mail controls block list.  I never received ONE legitimate email from those services.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 01:42:54 PM »
yrrab, I know a few people on AOL who I have thought were very intelligent, and interesting to talk to.  Hell, one of my favorite sites used to be on AOL.

members.aol.com/mips36  (I still have the URL memorized).

However, the vast majority of AOL users that I know barely know how to use notepad, and come up with some of the most infuriatingly retarded ideas you have ever heard.  The reason being is all the TV commercials you see that say that AOL is the best, and show a bunch of your average lamers using a computer.  People who know dick all about computers see that and think AOL rules.  They come onto AOL, never realizing that there is an internet beyond that point.  Occasionally they get lost and seep into the real internet where there are people other than AOL users, and they start talking their AOL lingo, and get flamed big time.

Yes, I will admit it's wrong to categorize ALL AOL users into the retarded category, but I think that the general principle holds true, and will for years into the future.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 01:45:05 PM »
My name is Ian Sane.
Translates to:
MAH NME IS IAN SAEN!!1!!1!1 OMG LOL

I fail to see why such a plain vanilla statement deserves both an OMG and a LOL but whatever.

Oh and yrrab436 it's not ISP discrimination.  It's just AOL discrimintation!!1!!1!1 LOL

In general it's nothing personal.  "AOL User" more or less refers to really dumb people who don't know how to do anything on the internet as opposed to actual AOL users.  Since AOL targets really dumb people who don't know how to do anything on the internet (just watch their f*cking commercials) the stereotype exists.

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2003, 12:49:23 AM »
I wrote:

I must say that I absolutely love "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker".  The art style is incredible, and the way that the designers have taken the cel shading technique is unique and refreshing.

It wrote:

I MUST SAY TAHT I ABSOLUTELY LOV3 DA LAGEND OF ZELDA DA WIND WAEKR11!1111! LOL TEH ART STYLE IS INCRADIBLE AND TEH WAY TAHT DA D3SIGN3RS HAEV TAEKN TEH CEL SHADNG TECHNIQU3 IS UNIQUE AND REFRASHNG!!1!!! OMG

It's brilliant.  No doubt about it.
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2003, 05:14:32 PM »
Apparently the average AOL user can't count either.

Instead of: "I'm not twelve, I'm 21" I got "IMM NOT 121!11!!!! OMG WTF IMM 211!!!!!! OMG WTF".
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2003, 11:17:48 PM »
Man, the accuracy of this thing astounds me.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2003, 02:20:13 AM »
There's a bit more l33t/haxor thrown in there than I've seen, but it's a fairly accurate translator. I know of several haxor and ASCII translators out there- I wonder what these people have in the way of lives?
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline MikeHrusecky

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2003, 07:35:50 AM »
Never in my life saw an AOL user type like this unless it was a JeffK-like impersonation, which is itself a parody, not an "AOL loser" thing. I've seen this more on the PGC site itself than on the forums or in emails we get from AOL members.

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2003, 12:20:56 PM »
methinks we need an English - Feline Ebonics translator, unless you think this AOL thing is close enough

here's Louie-speak translated by this English-AOL translator:

J'ai décidé DE DÉTRUIRE l'endroit du bILLY's (HAHAHAHA) ET d'avoir
LOTSA Rumars ! CHAQUE JOUR ! L'eVUN de Maybeez succèdent
l'EMPLACEMENT de DA ! Thpough juste de MAYBEEZ ! ! Je sais toutes les
dames d'yuou VEULENT que je prenne Ovar PGC ! Mais j'ai UN BON NOMBRE
de faire une sieste à faire... et POUR SALIR LA FABRICATION ! (billy
de dis de lecture de R U ?)

Er, wait a minute...
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2003, 05:48:07 PM »
I have no problem with 1337 speak and I speak it fluently. I do have a problem with people who use it in half a word and then not in the other half. Ex: ha73. In full 1337, it would be |-|473. But that's pretty funny.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2003, 07:51:28 AM »
AOL is an excellent Internet Service Providor.

I used to use AOL, and I was almost always able to connect a full speed.

Also, its nationwide so if you travel, it still works.

AOL has many new internet users, and they don't really understand stuff like ettiquite as much as the more expirenenced people.  That's why it looks bad.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline FM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2003, 05:30:36 PM »
I find AOL is always having trouble making requests, and it is very frustrating when every few seconds you get an error saying there are too many requests pending. To say AOL is an excellent internet service provider is ridiculous.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2003, 08:50:05 PM »
My problem is not with AOL users, but the service. All their proprietary crap that you must install. I don't know if many others have expericed this, but at times I feel that AOL is discriminating towards non subscribers. By this I mean that at least once every 2 or 3 days after I have left my AIM running, I get a message that I am trying to log back on too soon. Yet a couple of my friends who use AOL never have this problem. I leave it running so that I can leave away messages so people know when they can expect me back and they can leave messages. Thankfully right now I am getting internet service through my school and when I am back home, it is earthlink. Nothing proprietary there.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline cyrus420

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2003, 08:14:22 PM »
A0L SuX00|2Z!!! C@BL3 |S 1337!!!
HTML code is not permitted. Special symbols permit some HTML functionality.