Author Topic: Zelda DS: Phantom Hourglass  (Read 92443 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE:Zelda DS: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #350 on: November 12, 2007, 02:09:16 AM »

Originally posted by: Ghisy
Random question: are we supposed to get a confirmation email when the Zelda stylus has been shipped from NOA?

Yes you will get an email. It will inform you that it can take up to 6 weeks for delivery as well.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 12, 2007, 08:39:53 PM »

Originally posted by: Ghisy
Random question: are we supposed to get a confirmation email when the Zelda stylus has been shipped from NOA?

I got my stylus the day after I got that email!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Zelda DS: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #352 on: November 19, 2007, 04:51:56 PM »
I just bought this game this weekend.  Can I still get a stylus?  I registered the game on mynintendo, but haven't gotten an e-mail survey.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 19, 2007, 05:04:57 PM »
I'm sure, yeah. Heck, they still have the Wiimote keychain offer from Big Brain Academy up there!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 19, 2007, 05:11:22 PM »
I haven't even used the new stylus yet, and I already give it a higher score than PH. Hehe
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 23, 2007, 11:11:59 AM »
So I'm a sucker and got the Zelda DS bundle today.
I now am the proud of owner of 3 DS Lites. Seriously.
But I have 2 copies of PH and retailers buy it for like 14 bucks, even sealed, what the hell?
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 23, 2007, 11:41:30 AM »
Why don't you sell them on eBay? You can easily get around $30 for them.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 24, 2007, 02:49:45 PM »
Yeah, I might Ebay it if I don't find anyone who wants it back home.  
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 10, 2007, 02:35:37 PM »
Finished!

I just loved the game in every way possible, the only complain I can find is that the music wasn't very good, lots of old tunes and the new ones aren't very memorable, but even then it was an amazing experience, I loved all the bosses, all the dungeons and all the little quests here and there, and I love the Ocean's King Temple! I will never understand any complain about it, its perfectly paced, you can dig deeper and faster the more items you have and it never felt tedious or boring, it was not solving the same puzzle even if it was, as weird as it sounds, a challenge to your own genius and I just loved it. Besides, I don't think I did a floor more than twice or three times, and theres a teleporter right in the middle to make the last few floors more easily accesible, I just really don't get any of the bad press.

Of course the real star were the controls which were pretty much perfect, I can't go back to a d-pad now, (but I'll make the effort since I finally got the Minish cap and I have to beat it).

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 10, 2007, 04:41:42 PM »
YAY! Mantidor!

I tell ya, it's great to have someone to agree with!

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 11, 2007, 09:12:14 AM »
Hmm so my stylus shipped on Nov 14th and my friend in the US doesn't have it yet (he lives near LA).
Do you guys think I should write to Nintendo and ask about it?
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Offline MarioRocks08

• View Profile
Re: Zelda DS: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #361 on: May 21, 2008, 02:58:44 AM »
I got the Zelda DS bundle too and the feather pen stylus.  I love the feather pen stylus.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 21, 2008, 03:04:01 AM »
It is in fact, freaking awesome.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline MarioRocks08

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 22, 2008, 04:47:29 AM »
Yes, especially the Triforce decal.  That is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 02, 2008, 06:31:31 PM »
GOOD God ALMIGHTY WHY CAN'T NINTENDO STOP HAVING EPIC FLAWS IN WW BASED GAMES...

Seriously,  There is so much I enjoy in the two main portion of this series.  WW had the stupid ocean.... This one has the Stupid touch controls.  I've literally been drawing a figure 8 in every way that I know of for the last 10 MINUTES and still have yet to activate the time freeze more then the initial time with the first form of Bellum that has it...  I've never been able to consistently do the roll move... I've died quiet a few times where I meant to use an item but instead was moved...  I really love it on a lot of things but I think there doing to much....

After 5 more minutes of trying I called Nintendo to complain...

They said I should go from the upper left to the upper right down to the lower left to the lower right and back to the upper left and that it will take time and to do it large... good 5 minutes later still no freeze...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 06:47:14 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 02, 2008, 09:30:35 PM »
If you want to criticize PH the last thing you can complain about is the controls.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #366 on: August 03, 2008, 12:32:00 AM »
Maybe your touch screen is faulty.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 03, 2008, 02:41:46 AM »
It didn't trigger at the first try for me either, I just kept drawing the 8 until it triggered (usually fairly quickly).

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 03, 2008, 12:47:22 PM »
If you want to criticize PH the last thing you can complain about is the controls.

I disagee.  Out of all the elements of the game I think the controls are among the worst.  There are very many times where they shine they really really do.  Though the other time they drop like a stone.

The item switching is a little clunky for being on the fly.  Some moves, rolling, are just to hard to pull off consistently to really be useful.  Symbol recognition, ignoring the Bellum thing but with the slate for example, is sketchy at best.  Moving instead of throwing and vice versa.

Things I thought were really great with the controls.  About anything to do with the ship, I'm very happy with how they did that.  Bombchu's spot on.  The Boomerang best implementation since they went to 3D.  Also liked the Grapple.

I do really miss the parry system among other things in from Wind Waker but you know.

In all actuality I really enjoyed the game more so then TP and WW.  I do want to beat it and there other things in a lesser game I wouldn't allow slip.  I'm a little harsh on the end because that is what I'm working for in this particular game.  In the controls I think the lows just seem so much more relevant because of the highs.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 13, 2008, 08:40:46 PM »
Okay, so I finally bought this game earlier this summer, and I've been playing for a few weeks off and on, and I beat it today.
I could say a whole lot about it.  Like I love the bombchu/boomerang/note taking abilities provided by the touchscreen.  Riding on this ocean is wonderful, although I run into whats-her-name way too often.  Many of the puzzles are brilliantly inventive (the closing the DS thing made me laugh aloud when I figured it out; I've played Trace Memory but it's been ages).  The minigames are lots of fun, the ability to sell treasures and things is a nice idea, boat customization is fun.  I loved finding new islands.  And this is a loaded statement, but this game probably has the best bosses of any Zelda game I've played (consistently good, inventive, fun, surprising, engaging); considering the quality of Zelda bosses, this means that these are possibly some of the best bosses in gaming, period.

If I had complaints, it's that the encounters with other races (Gorons, the ice folk) were too brief and isolated, when they could have been fleshed out more (like in Wind Waker, OoT, etc).  While the final boss itself was fantastic, I didn't feel much of a connection to the boss (hearing about a boss or seeing him a lot earlier in the game make you want to beat him more; you're aware that you must beat him.  The game preceding Bellum didn't feel like it was leading up to him.
Also, the game felt rather short (maybe because Twilight Princess was so long).  Too much fun to give up yet.  But I still have orbs and ship parts to collect, so that'll keep me busy a bit longer.

I may say more later.  But I'll join the chorus of voices that liked the game and thought it did something new or interesting, and did it effectively.  It's not my favorite 2D Zelda (still Link's Awakening), but it's still a great game and ranks with the best of Zelda.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 13, 2008, 08:50:08 PM »
Thank you Hostile Creation. I'm very pleased to know that I'm not a lone voice in thinking that this game really does rank amongst the best Zeldas out there.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 13, 2008, 10:20:24 PM »
You were never a lone voice! >=|
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 14, 2008, 05:03:38 AM »
Ya Kairon, you should SEEK outcasting yourself ;)
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #373 on: August 14, 2008, 06:31:18 AM »
I'll restrain myself from trolling this thread...
Check out PixlBit!

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 09, 2008, 09:35:19 AM »
This will be the first of many old game threads for me to revive since I just got a bunch of DS games and I am late to parties.

This is probably my favorite Zelda since the first one.  It did so many things in amazingly.  Most of the concepts used for one boss fight could have entire games based around it (crab boss especially).  I actually managed to die once or twice which I haven't done in Zelda game in years.  The touch screen blows the old system out of the water.  Using the items is fast, easy and the touchscreen gives most of the items some extra awesome.

One of my favorite things they did was fix the money system.  Money is actually worthwhile!!  I never had more money then I could possibly need.  The ship parts and other things to buy kept me constantly WANTING rupees.  After my last few Zelda game I loved the fact that rupees were an actual reward again and not something I hated getting when I opened a chest.  Actually giving me something to buy is the most obvious idea ever and I am happy Nintendo finally realized that.

When I first finished the game I only had all the parts to Demon Ship, which is probably my favorite ship along with the Iron ship.  The variety and customization is a great aspect to keep the sailing from never becoming visually boring.
What is your favorite ship?