Author Topic: Zelda DS: Phantom Hourglass  (Read 92432 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: Zelda DS: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #325 on: October 29, 2007, 01:51:24 PM »
I fully support everyone out there selling back copies of Nintendo games so that they can buy third party Wii titles.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Zelda DS: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #326 on: October 29, 2007, 01:58:27 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I fully support everyone out there selling back copies of Nintendo games so that they can buy third party Wii titles.

Lol you would love me then, traded titles:

- Zelda PH
- Mario Kart DS
- New Super Mario Bros.
- Metroid Prime 3
- Wario Ware Wii

If you trade in all these games you can get GHIII for Wii for free and still get 6 dollars back =D

Ironically, right after I traded in my games some kid behind me bought my used Zelda PH.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 29, 2007, 04:22:03 PM »
I still have big issues with the calibration , I've tried calibrating and when I tried it in pictochat its not that bad, but in the game the cursor is really off specially when writting, the odd part is that its only noticeable in the left part of the screen, in the right part its fine, I hope the DS isn't just damaged.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 29, 2007, 04:32:34 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
I still have big issues with the calibration , I've tried calibrating and when I tried it in pictochat its not that bad, but in the game the cursor is really off specially when writting, the odd part is that its only noticeable in the left part of the screen, in the right part its fine, I hope the DS isn't just damaged.

I'm sorry to say, but Zelda:PH damaged your DS beyond repair.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 29, 2007, 09:56:33 PM »
Switching items in mid combat isn't easy but then again I don't really fault the game for that, it's unlikely that Link could open his bag (or wherever he stores those things), pull out a new item and ready it for use within a split second. For the boomerang you just have to be fast, remember you can just hold the L button, tap a place and the boomerang goes flying, you don't need to tap the item icon and draw a path. Also you can start the path wherever you like, you don't have to start drawing on Link.

As I said, I don't think the game would have been more than a rehash if they had stayed with button controls, there have been 6 Zelda games with that pretty much all using the same items and I doubt there's much that can still be done in terms of puzzles with the old mechanics.

I think some people are so used to the old controls that they don't like the feeling of having to learn controls. After all, if I could do everything easily with the old controls why should I spend an hour or two of the new game as a control nub? But the answer is that the new controls allow things not possible with the old ones, namely item use that's not restricted to aiming in 8 directions and hitting fire. The game is much less oriented towards the cardinal directions now, in older Zeldas you could only attack in four directions, now you have like 32 and you can move in all of these, too. You're no longer tied to moving along a grid.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: October 30, 2007, 09:37:25 AM »
Grid movement especially is an element that makes 2D Zelda's supposedly "hard."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 31, 2007, 10:02:56 PM »
I thought it was the large number of enemies and damage that actually increases as fast as the size of your lifebar?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 01, 2007, 06:57:13 AM »
Maybe it's all three, though it's worth pointing out that the 3D Zeldas never increased the number of enemies on you significantly, and TP especially did almost nothing to ramp up their damage.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 02, 2007, 03:05:56 AM »
BTW, I hit my first problem with the controls: The final boss has a special gesture that you must use to reach his weak point, problem is that it's freaking hard to get it recognized and you only have a short window of time to pull it off in. Especially weird since all other recognition except rolling works pretty much perfectly. They should have skipped the gesture and just allowed you to touch the icon to trigger it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 02, 2007, 07:36:16 AM »
I had no problem with that gesture at all KDR. Are you sure you're doing it properly? I just scribbled a really lazy hourglass each time and it worked perfectly.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 02, 2007, 07:44:41 AM »
KDR, I feel your pain. I actually had such a hard time with this part that I had to go look on gamefaqs to see how to draw the dang thing. I muddled through the first battle somehow, but when I got to the final one, I got my butt kicked, slowly and frustratingly. I had this giant surplus of uses, and I couldn't use them! Super annoying.

Part of the problem, I think, is that they give you a horizontal space, but the thing you need to draw is vertical. What the crap? I was trying to draw the dang thing on its side for awhile, and that obviously didn't work.  
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 02, 2007, 08:23:08 AM »
I just furiously scribbled eights until one got recognized which often managed to be way too late.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 02, 2007, 08:27:14 AM »
I think this is again an example of the game not describing it in the best terms possible. Nintendo needs to learn to give better instructions on how to use the touch screen, because when you have such a disparity where you guys had tons of difficulty here, and I had absolutely zero, then there's obviously something wrong not with the gesture recognition, but with helping the user understand it.

Edit: Maybe what Nintendo needs to do in these cases is show you an example of what you're drawing first, much like they do with the warp system. Visual instructions could almost instantly clear up ANY confusion on gesture input.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #338 on: November 02, 2007, 08:37:33 AM »
Nintendo's gesture input for the DS is so flawed because it relies on the direction you draw things. For instance, my friend was trying out my copy of Brain Age and was running through the speed math section. He was unable to get past a certain equation because it wouldn't recognize the 7 he was drawing. He seemed to be writing a 7 very clearly. I step up and draw it, no issues my 7 is recognized. The issue: he wrote a 7 starting from the bottom and working his way up, I drew it starting from the left and working my way down. Nintendo needs to train these drawing analyzers to detect the image regardless of the direction you draw things in. It really destroys the interactivity with the game to have it not recognize a drawing that is clearly adequate just because you started drawing in a different spot or drew in a different direction.  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 02, 2007, 08:55:45 AM »
I have the same problem with my fives in BA, if I draw them from above, they become 6's. I have to force myself to draw 5's from the bottom, the unnatural way.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 02, 2007, 10:02:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I have the same problem with my fives in BA, if I draw them from above, they become 6's. I have to force myself to draw 5's from the bottom, the unnatural way.

I don't have any problem drawing a 5, so there must be no problem, everyone else must be making it up.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 02, 2007, 10:19:42 AM »
Mods! GP is trolling me!!! T_T

Edit

BTW, just checked my completion time for this game. About 18 hours.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 02, 2007, 09:25:37 PM »
How do you check that?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 03, 2007, 06:53:23 AM »
Your collection screen, called "best time" apparently...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 03, 2007, 10:26:47 AM »
Isn't that the time in minutes and seconds that you took to clear the temple of the ocean king once you can get to the bottom?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 03, 2007, 12:01:04 PM »
I refuse to believe that it took me 18 minutes to get to the bottom of the Ocean King's Temple!!! ...unless of course... maybe I did... but still!

You're probably right, which means that I did an absolutely HORRENDOUS job in the Ocean King temple. Argh.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 03, 2007, 09:55:57 PM »
It lists 6 minutes or so for me, was kinda sloppy. Apparently it doesn't count the time you lose when hit by a phantom, I lost loads of that on the final "beat these phantoms" battle because I have no idea how you are supposed to hurt phantoms after they've detected you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 03, 2007, 09:21:25 PM »
There's a red pot on the top right side of that room. Carry it over to the area you fight the Phantoms. You can basically let them see you then run to the protective spot where you dropped the pot. They'll chase you, but once you're in the protective spot, they'll get confused and turn around and you can just hack them with your sword.

That's what I did anyway.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 05, 2007, 02:20:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
There's a red pot on the top right side of that room. Carry it over to the area you fight the Phantoms. You can basically let them see you then run to the protective spot where you dropped the pot. They'll chase you, but once you're in the protective spot, they'll get confused and turn around and you can just hack them with your sword.

That's what I did anyway.

I did that too, also on the other floors I intentionally made the Phantoms chase ofter me and ran to a safe spot to hack them in the back to make them give up their floor treasure.  
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 11, 2007, 08:11:59 PM »
Random question: are we supposed to get a confirmation email when the Zelda stylus has been shipped from NOA?
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)