Author Topic: Damn Inflation...  (Read 3505 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Damn Inflation...
« on: February 09, 2006, 12:47:10 PM »
I just ordered a pizza from Dominos. One medium cheese and an order of Cinnastix. With tip, it's $19. Can you believe that? Nearly 20 bucks for something that shouldn't be more than $15. I remember when you'd get a deal like that for $12.99, and I'm 17. I still got it, 'cause I'm really hungry, but damn, that inflation is just annoying.

Oh, I guess you can talk about inflation-related troubles of your own here.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Damn Inflation...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 01:20:47 PM »
Dominos charges you around 1.50 when they have deliver now though.  That's why I pick everything up and only order 5-5-5, 7-7-7 deals... oh yeah.. i'm cheap.
As for inflation, you can really tell any time you go into a grocery store.  I think that is why stores now always tell you how much money you save otherwise people would get worked up over how much they spent.  
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Damn Inflation...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 01:22:15 PM »
1939-1945

With the start of the war came a boom in the economy after the Great Depression of the 1930s. Since Canada, at the time, had a wartime economy, there were much fewer consumer goods available, as most of the production was going towards armaments. However, the economy was booming so the new generation of workers had money to spend. With so many dollars chasing such few goods, the prices would obviously rise quickly and lead to a crippling inflation.

To combat this problem, the Canadian government used large tax increases, forced savings, and the sale of Victory Bonds to keep prices down and take the money out of the consumers' hands. By 1943 they took in nearly $1 billion dollars. The total amount of War Bonds bought was nearly $10 billion.

The government also took the revolutionary step of freezing all prices and wages to prevent inflation by intervening in the economy heavily. Consumers who wanted to buy certain items would have to get permits, and rationing was introduced. However, even though there was food rationing, the rationing was not as strict as most countries, including Britain and the United States.

At the end of the war, this massive government intervention paid off - Canada dealt with inflation without slowing down the economy. Its record of keeping inflation in check was the best in the world. After the war, Canadians got back the money they invested in Victory Bonds (with the returns) to invest in the post-war economy, effectively avoiding another Depression.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 01:34:11 PM »
Last year at some point Wendy's in Canada changed their value meals to come with medium fries instead of large fries.  I was naturally pretty pissed off about that.  McDonalds also recently hiked their prices up 20 cents except for a few more remote areas.  These things always annoy me because it's not like I get a raise every time prices hike.  In theory inflation is supposed to balance things out but it never seems to work that way.  Everyone talks about how back in the day you made less money so things were cheaper yet prices always seem to go up well before I make any more money.  It's like the only reason I make more money now then my dad did at the same age is because I pay more.

I honestly believe inflation killed the arcade industry.  Inflation doesn't affect kids who are a major market for arcade games.  As an adult I have a job and a bank account and wage increases and interest can to an extent balance things out more.  But when you're a kid if you don't have an allowance and your parents don't spoil you you have no money.  A lot of your money is based on change you find.  Change doesn't change with inflation.  People lose quarters today as frequently as they did twenty years ago only now a quarter doesn't go as far.  When my dad was a kid if he found a dime he could go to the store and buy a chocolate bar or popsicle.  I didn't have that luxury.  I had to find many dimes to get the same thing.  The value of a dime changed and people don't drop dollar bills to balance it out.  When I was a kid if I found a quarter on the ground I could go to the arcade and play a game.  When I was 12 I started having to find two quarters.  Now I would have to find FOUR quarters.  For a kid with no regular allowance an impulse buy has a very low price and it doesn't change for inflation.  Once you started to have to have some sort of income to play arcade games arcades died.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 02:18:43 PM »
But don't they have loonies in canada? $1 coins?

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 12:51:38 AM »
Twoonies, too.  But they tax you so flipping much that you still can't buy anything.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 06:06:18 AM »
Finding a loonie or twoonie on the ground is pretty rare.  People hang on to those pretty tight for obvious reasons.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 07:51:59 AM »
Did the arcades in canada ever take loonies in the slot? The only arcade I ever played in canada just used tokens. This was like 12 years ago, but it was called Scandia and it was in Kelowna B.C.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 08:21:34 AM »

Can you believe that? Nearly 20 bucks for something that shouldn't be more than $15.
I remember when gas prices used to be around $1.30 per gallon.  How sad is that?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 08:40:24 AM »
Not that i was driving then but i remember when it was 89 cents/ gallon.  Not that the increase is really due to inflation.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 09:15:15 AM »
How the heck do you remember that?  You're younger than I am.

Ooohh ... maybe it's because you're from NC.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 09:29:07 AM »
"I remember when gas prices used to be around $1.30 per gallon."

I cannot fathom at all how much that is.  In Canada we use dollars per litre.  So to convert you have to convert both the volume measurement AND the currency.  Needless to say my attitude when driving in the US is "okay I need gas now, which station near me has the lowest number?"  They could be totally ripping me off and I'd never know.

"Did the arcades in canada ever take loonies in the slot?"

I think I've seen them like that on the BC Ferries.  I think one slot is quarters and the other is loonies.  I'm not 100% certain on that though.  Most arcades use tokens so it's hard to say and I haven't seen many arcade machines in corner stores and such since the prices went up.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 11:05:54 AM »
Speaking of keeping inflation down, I was in Germany this fall and we were surprised at how much cheaper a lot of groceries were than in Canada.  My girlfirend's cousin said that prices just haven't gone up that much in the past several years.  When my girlfriend was younger, say 10 years ago, grocery prices were higher there than in Canada, but not any more.

I've seen some loonie arcade machines, definitely.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 02:15:10 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu
How the heck do you remember that?  You're younger than I am.

Ooohh ... maybe it's because you're from NC.  

When I first moved to NC from Ontario about 8 years ago, gas prices were a ridiculous 89 cents/ gallon making it quite the kick in the teeth since the going rate is more than triple that now.

Ian, 1.30 USD / gal * 1.15 CDN/ 1 USD * 1 gal/ 3.78 liters = .39 CDN/ litre = good times.  Definitely not the kind of math you do while driving.  It also might be a little higher then since the American dollar used to be stronger...  Your strategy matches mine and unless you are driving a industrial van or a truck, the 3 to 4 cents you might be paying extra won't amount to more than a dollar or two.

Couch, not that I'm that familiar with Germany but does that take into account the adoption of the Euro?
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 08:21:39 PM »
Ian: Google can convert any set of units to any other equivalent set of units (e.g. EUR/litre -> USD/gallon). I just found out that we pay ~6USD per gallon here.

odifiend: If he's comparing prices with canada that has to involve a currency conversion anyway.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 08:43:40 AM »
Ian, 1.30 USD / gal * 1.15 CDN/ 1 USD * 1 gal/ 3.78 liters = .39 CDN/ litre = good times

At that time, wouldn't the exchange rate be quite a bit higher? So the price would be higher too...

The lowest I've seen it here was 45 cents/litre... wow, what a distant memory.

EDIT: Oh sorry, you already mentioned that the exchange rate would be higher at that time. Anyway, I looked it up on a 10-year converter; the rate was about 1.50 in 1998. Therefore, the price would be 0.52 cents/litre.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 01:31:30 PM »
Thats not inflation

Inflation is paying 400,000 for a 1200 square foot house in california. A normal sized house is 500,000. A really nice one is 600,000 at least. Thats insanity.  

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 08:56:12 AM »
Acutally, no.  That's not inflation.  What you're describing is called paying for location.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 09:11:39 AM »
"Ian: Google can convert any set of units to any other equivalent set of units"

A co-worker showed me that yesterday.  That's why I thought of the whole issue.  The only problem is you typically can't use Google while you're driving.