Author Topic: THQ jumping ship as well  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Perfect Cell

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« on: February 23, 2003, 05:07:28 PM »
according to gamepro, THQ cancelled 20 games, a third of these were Gamecube titles. Another Third party blaming Nintendo for their sales! Sigh Im not liking this trend, EA, Sega,Activision,Infogrames and THQ . Its starting to pile on ! Of course if WM 18 were actually good maybe their sales would have been as bad

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 05:12:30 PM »
well if 1/3 were for the cube, then the other consoles either had it equally as bad, or one had it worse.  
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 05:22:06 PM »
or, that third could have been the only GCN games being developed at the time.  
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 05:25:33 PM »
Are you sure about this? I thought they were making Sonic Advance 2 with Sega. Actually I know this for a fact because I saw the boxart and it had the THQ trademark on it. Do you have any proof of this? And when you say Sega, what do you mean by that? They aren't dropping the cube...
Best Browser Available
http://www.mozilla.org
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 05:26:41 PM »
Well... THQ doesn't necessarily publish the best of games...

I doubt a lot of people would really care about some of the games they published.

Sega Sports is the only real big hurt at the moment. Infogrames is still up in the air and EA may just cancel the lesser sports titles. Activision cancelled one game so far, and a game that I doubt any of you really cared about to begin with.

We'll see what happens as time comes, but currently outside of Sega Sports, the cancellations have been no big deal.

Offline Taco

• View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 05:29:30 PM »
Wow are people going to keep making thread about this??

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2003, 05:36:10 PM »
THQ still has games like Red Faction, WWE wrestling games, Pride Championship and Mx superfly so its not like all of their games are shovelware, they have some good titles. Its important to have these companies happy with the GCN. Its not good for Gamecubes PR to have companies dropping it like yesterdays news

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2003, 05:36:16 PM »
How many threads are there about THQ cancelling games?

THQ is just cutting the crappy games. The fact that they announced Sphinx recently shows their support isn't going anywhere.  

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2003, 05:44:01 PM »
to tell u the truth, i am glad they are cancling the games they no are crappy. they insult my tastes by trying to get me to by some of these games. i find it humorous that they still put crappy games out for the other 2 consoles. and not to metion. i like the fact that every time a gamecube game gets canceled, it gets 10x more attention then when an xbox game or ps2 game gets cenceled. when skies of arcadia was dropped from the other consoles, i didnt hear people say "o man this could be the beggining of the end." and that was a good game too!!! who cares about wakeboarding games and golfing games and all that. they were never huge sellers, and there is a reason. everyone just needs to settle down. in fact i am going to go find a list of xbox games that have been canceled. and one more thing, WHAT GAMES DID THEY EVEN CANCEL?!?!??!?! SO THERE WERE 20 GAMES??? WHAT WERE THEIR NAMES?!?!??! WHO THE FREAK CARES????
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2003, 06:59:04 PM »
I think I'd be a lot more concerned about this rash of cancellations is I were the least bit interested in any of the games that were cancelled.  I think Haven was the only game I really cared about, and even so, not enough to check it out on the PS2.

Most of the games that have been cancelled were probably not worth the risk to release anyway, and several of the companies involved do have a habit of releasing less than stellar software.

This is NOT the GameCube's fault.  Fact is, the economy is forcing buyers to be more choosy, and they are making sure they'll get their money's worth before they buy.  Clearing the market of some of the software glut is only a GOOD THING.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2003, 07:24:27 PM »
Yep.  A lot of the re-evaluations by publishers to release fewer games for systems has to do with their poor performance on a system in the first place.  If I recall correctly, the majority of the games dropped by THQ were PS2 games that royally sucked, and had practically no sales after being out on the system for quite a while (enough that they know they aren't going to sell any more of them).  So the cancellations were more of a "well, no sense in porting this game" than a "we don't like the Gamecube."  The PS2 is becoming a sort of testing ground for developers, as in if a game does well there, it'll likely do well on another console, too.  That's obviously more important for crappy games, or games that are sort of weird.  The majority of exclusive titles for PS2 happen because developers do what I described above, and then Sony buys an exclusivity contract from them so they don't port the game.  Which is sort of the reverse of what MS does.  Sony has the capabilities currently to do that, with such a large install base, but it also means that the average quality of games on the console is waay waay down.

So, in some sense, it's good that the Gamecube isn't in first place, as developers tend to only release the games they know will sell well (which are usually games that are actually decent or better).  Of course, it sort of sucks, too, as some of the really great games are not ported due to Sony's money.

Offline DrunkenBone

• View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2003, 07:26:36 PM »
I read a article in the Feb's GNM (the magazine you get from Eletronic Bontiqu) and they said that the GC is reliving its N64 years. The say that 3rd party are pulling out cause noone is buying their games on the GC. And if you do think about it, how many non-exclusive, non-nintendo made game do you own (when I mean you, i mean all GC owners). Saddy I own 0.... All of my games are either exclusive to the GC or Nintendo made.
Don't blame me, blame the..... umm... what was it.. the thing that starts with a S

Offline nonjagged

• View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2003, 08:21:09 PM »
Man this is excellent news for me because now when I walk in stores I dont see 3rd party saturation of software on shelves and it will make my task easier to select the quality 1st-2nd Party GCN games.
No more will I be seeing Movie-to-Game crappy franchises and all the other dodgy 3rd party titles that just saturate our shelves with endless identi-kit followup rehashed versions.
Im begging for more dodgy 3rd party Publishes to cancel more GCN games.

Quality over Quantity is something I open up to.

2003 = The Year of the Fund Q & Triforce.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2003, 08:45:44 PM »
Also, I have to think we'd all be paying A LOT less attention to companies "jumping ship" and/or cancelling games if we weren't so friggin' "concerned" about our "favorite" company.  I think we should all realize that there's a lot more "going on" than involves the GameCube.

"You" know?

That said, it is worth thinking about, but sometimes I think we're squeezing juice from a turnip with all our speculations, and I think that's not very easy.  Supposedly.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
THQ jumping ship as well
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2003, 02:58:21 AM »
What.... W...WHAT??? No! Not THQ! Now where will I get my crappy Nickelodeon game fix???!?!?! </sarcasm>