Author Topic: Why do nintendo fans hate Xbox so much?  (Read 79929 times)

Offline Agent

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Why do nintendo fans hate Xbox so much?
« on: February 21, 2003, 05:38:41 PM »
What are your theorys?

Think its a combination of a few things. That Xbox recently secured the number two spot. And that Microsoft has started to appeal to the mainstream gamer, somthing nintendo has yet to do. The third is that PS2 is so far ahead, some are just looking for a fight, and the only forseable contender they can go up against, is Xbox, so that is what they went with.

Any thoughts?

p.s. Lets try and keep the discussion civil, so this doesn't get closed. Lets just have some intellegent conversation.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 06:09:56 PM »
Well, I am not sure if this thread will remain open for very long, but I will give my opinions anyways

1)  The Architecture.  Putting a PC in a box that resembles a console somewhat, and runs a Windows OS is NOT the way to make a console.  The very idea of it annoys me.  Consoles and PCs should be kept seperate, and I do not like the integration thing MS is pushing.

2)  Microsoft.  They have no gaming experience, and nothing other than greed brought them into the console industry.  They figure that if they can throw enough money in, they can buy themselves a place, and make some more money.  I have no respect for that philosophy.

3)  The advertising.  Their ads remind me of AOL ads.  They don't contain much factual information, and rely entirely on hyping up something that isn't true.  (250 million polys/sec, exclusive games, most powerful console ever made, etc, etc, etc.)

That about covers my primary reasons for hating it.  I would NEVER buy an Xbox.  I don't care if they bought the most magnificent game ever.  I don't care if they bought Nintendo.  I am never EVER buying another Microsoft product as long as I live because of the Xbox.

I have no such disposition towards Sony however.  I don't really care about them either way.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline vitaflo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 06:39:03 PM »
I don't think it's just Nintendo people.  Some people just hate MS in general.

I can be counted in that bunch.  I really dispise the company, and refuse to use any MS products at all, which is why I'm not a fan of Xbox. They will never see a dime from me.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 07:06:16 PM »
Many of us don't hate the Xbox, OR Microsoft.  Many PGC staff have Xboxen, myself included.  And I have a whopping THREE games for it.  I don't hate the Xbox, I just wish there was more decent games to play on it.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 01:34:15 AM »
First off, I'm more of a PS1/2 fan than a Nintendo fan.  Second, it's not the X-box I dislike.  I think it's a fine console.  

It's the lack of good software I dislike.  See, most of the games are already available for my PC, so there's no reason to buy the console... which leaves only X-box exclusives 3-4 games that I'd want.  I don't think that's a big enough library to justify purchase.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2003, 03:07:16 AM »
I think I know. But this is just my opinion. But I think it's because Microsoft does everything opposite than from what Nintendo does. There's the marketing, the games, the philosophy, the boss, the staff, console design, the controller, the way they do business in general.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Munky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2003, 03:49:52 AM »
Xbox really isn't that bad. Neither is Cube and neither is PlayStation 2. The only place Xbox is failing in is Japan, so Microsoft must do something right if Xbox is selling faster than Cube and PS2 in Europe, although Xbox is still in 2nd overall. Personally, I don't think anyone has the right to judge a console until they've played it. I know that now after along time of bashing the Cube, which I regret now. After being able to play all three consoles, I now know which are the better ones. Personally, PS2 shouldn't be #1, it should be #3. I think Xbox has the edge over Cube, but not by much.  
The memory of a lost loved one remains with you always, but it's a wound that time heals. It's like a scar....it never really disappears, time just soothes the memory.

ChaoticMunky.com

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2003, 04:23:12 AM »
I don't hate it by any means, I have one in fact. There are some fun games (steel batallion), and xbox live has turned out to be a somewhat decent expierence, so I don't have a lot of complaints.

If some of you guys hate Microsoft so much why don't you burn down xbox stock housings? If you want to get microsoft to leave the industry you might as well commit crimes /sarcasm

Offline Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2003, 05:37:40 AM »
Yeah, I mean I just seem to notice alot of xbox dissing around here, and I wasn't sure what of it is serious or not. It feels more like xbox vs. gc then xbox vs. gc vs. ps2.  

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2003, 06:44:27 AM »
I don't really hate the xbox or microsoft.  I buy a console based on the games available, and the Xbox just doesn't have what I'm looking for.  I don't play many FPSs, and when I do it's usually because of multiplayer (with people here, not online).  I don't care for playing against a ton of people I don't know, or have to get to know online.  And their offline offerings are pretty crap.  The only notable game is Halo (FPS, which I've played and thought "yep, it's an FPS") and possibly PD Orta, but I don't really care for rail shooters.  Where are the fun action/adventure platform games, or the weird innovative games?  The games coming out for Xbox don't really push the envelope; they just fit nicely into genres that are already well represented.  Sure they look nice, but to me graphics are simply a bonus on top of the gameplay.

Offline Tonga Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2003, 08:00:06 AM »
I personally hate the XBOX since it was conceived 3 years ago but I really dont know why . Ive been a Nintendo FanBoy ever since Sega Consoles went under a few years ago, and I've been loyal ever since. I guess I hate XBOX just because it is trespassing on Nintendo's videogame territory. I've only played a few games on the Box like HALO, Hunter the Reckoning, and Splinter Cell and Ive been very impressed. But still the VAST majority of the games make me sick! Who cares about Blinxs the Time Janitor or all the other pointless games the BOX has to offer. XBOX may have a big library but Nintendo goes for Quality not quantity
Don't Worry Be Tiki! =)

Offline Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2003, 08:56:33 AM »
That made me feel better Tonga.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2003, 09:29:08 AM »
I am ashamed to admit this, but I think maybe I just hate whoever the latest challenger to Nintendo is...
I hated Sega during the Super Nintendo era, I hated Sony during the N64 era, and I hate Microsoft during the GameCube era....I think maybe it does have something to do with Xbox being Nintendo's closest competitor, because really, there's no way in hell either console is going to beat the PS2.  I think it also has to do with my distaste for Microsoft as a company.  I realize Nintendo and Sony are cold-hearted nasty companies too, but I think MS really symbolizes everything that's wrong with big business.
Having said all that, I still think the Xbox is a decent console, and once a few Rare games are released on it, I will probably wishing I had one.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline codyy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2003, 10:15:43 AM »
I don't hate Xbox. I hate those annoying Xbox Fanboys. They're irrational and refuse to listen to reason. About two months ago, I asked one of them a single question,"Name five Xbox exclusive games that are decent/worth buying." They got up to three and couldn't think of anything else. So they shot back,"Ok, you name five Gamecube exclusive games!!!" After about the twelfth game mentioned they turned around and stormed off. They are irrational and annoying.

I also can't stand Ed Fries and Micro$oft's promotional campaigns etc. When they beat Nintendo in sales for said month they toot their horns and let everyone know. The truth is though Nintendo has sold more in past months and said nothing. Ed Fries is a jerk for slamming Nintendo on having a handle on the back and for slamming PS2 for having inferior graphics (something like,"Why waste your money on Playstation when you can play those same games on Xbox with better graphics and control") Please.
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream to dream before
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token..."
--Edgar Allen Poe, The Raven, 1845.

To liberals everywhere: HA!

Offline Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2003, 10:42:29 AM »
Couchmonkey, I know what you mean, I kinda hated sega during the snes days too, but since my bro was a gamer too, I still could play all their great games.  But I also respected them as being in the same league as Nintendo.  You know, actually being a GAME company.  This is one of the reasons I hate sony.  Like microsoft, they have no business being in the game industry, they make computers, cd players and tv's, why the heck should they be making videogames?  I despise Microsoft the most because Bill Gates is just plain greedy.  He could care less if he loses a billion dollars, just so long as he monopolizes the game industry like he has the computer industry.  After all this ranting, I must admit that I do have a ps1 (only for ddr) and my bro has an xbox (he feels lost after the dc died and microsoft bought most of sega's games), but that does not mean I respect them as players in the industry at all.
You say fanboy like it's a bad thing

Offline Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2003, 12:08:38 PM »
I don't seee the problem with an companies who make electronic related products to be invovled in the game industry. All companies are out to make money. I just think MS gets a bad rep in the computer world becuase there #1 and everyones gunning for 'em. I didn't have an opinion about the computer stuff, since thats not really my thing. Didn't sway my purchase in the least.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2003, 02:11:04 PM »
"Many of us don't hate the Xbox, OR Microsoft."

No, I think EVERYBODY hates MS. Not a whole lot of us hate the XBox, but MS we see as the reincarnation of Satan. I only use Windows because almost every good PC game is exclusive to it. A lot of us don't buy an XBox either because we have no interest in it or we make ourselves THINK we have no interest i it because the XBox is a threat to the Gamecube. Unfortunatly, the fanboys are much more vocal on their opinions of MS and the XBox, hence people generalizing *all* Nintendo fans into the "XBox hating category". I'd buy an XBox in an instant if I could afford it. I mean, I've got the $200 for the system, but I my income is what my parent's give me in allowance, and that's barely enough to support my PS2 and Gamecube. I don't wanna buy a system only to acquire 2 or 3 games for it, no matter how many more I WANT to get.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2003, 05:43:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Agent
I just think MS gets a bad rep in the computer world becuase there #1 and everyones gunning for 'em.

No.  I hate Microsoft because every damn day their damn OS crashes my damn computer, and it's damn annoying.  Damn them.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2003, 06:06:51 PM »
Although i do hate Microsoft for their crashes and constants "Are you sure" messages, i love the Xbox.  I bought it right after the price drop.  One of my favorite games is JSRF.  Halo is fun enough.  Another unbelievable hit is Panzer Dragoon Orta.  I don't care what anyone says, the game looks BEAUTIFUL.  I mean just gorgeous.  An tons of Extra features and side stories.
I don't know why other cube owners hate the X.  I am a Nintendo fanboy, but i still love my Box.  To me Xbox is like the cute little brother.  Girls (assumiong your a guy, but could work vice versa) will say he is so cute, but they don't mean gorgeous.  By this I mean, it is not a threat, but still has appeal.  The games are NOT mainstream.  Actually Xbox seems to have the WIDEST VARIETY OF ALL SYSTEMS.
Anyway i still Love my cube the most, but i like my Box too.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2003, 07:42:54 PM »
i want amiga to put out a console
i also generally hate microsoft =\ nothing i have heard about on xbawx makes me want one either, while i am tempted to get a ps2 (rpgs are my weakpoint)

Offline SilverBack1138

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2003, 08:53:40 PM »
The reason that I don't like XBox isn't about the system itself.  It has some good games and it has a good online program.  I've just been pissed off by how much many of the people involved with XBox are fanboys.  The Official XBox Magazine is one.  They keep bashing the other consoles, instead of just trying to focus on their system.  The same things goes for the guys involved with XBox developement, I don't know if you guys remember one of Billy's article regarding a visit to MS to try some XBox stuff, but they were just going fanboy all out, from what Billy wrote.  For me, it reminds me of an American election year.  Instead of just focusing their efforts on what they have to offer, they run a negative ad campaign.

Another is delaying or even trying to cancel PC games for XBox exclusivity.  Like SW:Knights of the Old Republic.  They deliberately delayed the PC version just so people who want the game will buy XBox.  I can even understand them doing it for consoles, but even to PC games.  I can understand them trying to get one up on the competition, but even to the PC gamers.  I don't really blame the developers for doing it since they need the money to keep in business.  I just think instead of trying to make XBox successful based on their own merits, they are running a fanboy regime.
Professional soldiers are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs.

Offline Pat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2003, 02:00:18 AM »
Heh, everday there's another system to hate? Super Nintendo, Sega. XD N64, Psx. Roflmao.

Anyways, I have also been a Nintendo-fan all my life. Never really HATED...Sega, cause I never tried it out, never got one of their systems. I wasn't as hardcore back then about games. >.> Anyways. I love the Xbox compared to the Psx/2. My Ps2 works as good as my NES, which is pretty damn bad if you consider I don't have the plug to my NES. Xbox has maybe one game I like...Halo. Halo..is probably my favorite game. It is so friggin fun, Maybe it's because I read the novel, Halo: The Fall of Reach, but it has a great storyline. And the music is awsome, the graphics are good, the Multiplayer is great, the easter eggs, well, let's just say I hunt everyday for more glitches and easter eggs to hold me off til PlanetSide! :: cheer :: And Halo 2!!!! And it doesn't take forever and a day to load like on the Ps2, with it's few good games. Anyways, Gamecube still has my main man, Mario. :: nod nod ::

Now..let us listen to Spongebob Squarepants FUN song..
Current Game Playing - Halo
Current Most Wanted Game - PlanetSide
Current Favorite Game - Halo
Current Favorite Console Of All Time - SNES

--------------------------

Offline codyy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2003, 09:29:41 AM »

F is for fire that burns down the town
U is for uranium...Bombs!!!
N is for no survivors...

er...sorry. Another reason I detest Xbox is, like SilverBack1138 said, they focus more on bashing other systems than themselves. Why? Because they have nothinng good to report!!! That's Why!!!
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream to dream before
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token..."
--Edgar Allen Poe, The Raven, 1845.

To liberals everywhere: HA!

Offline 3_MaSteRPIeCE

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2003, 12:38:02 PM »

Originally posted by: codyy

F is for fire that burns down the town
U is for uranium...Bombs!!!
N is for no survivors...

er...sorry. Another reason I detest Xbox is, like SilverBack1138 said, they focus more on bashing other systems than themselves. Why? Because they have nothinng good to report!!! That's Why!!!

So you bash them becuase you have nothing to do either.

Good reason..

All this system hating shows how pathetic people are today.  No wonder they say gaming is for nerds.   Cause most gamers break down games and systems like their life depends on it and they fight over it.
Money for war but not enough to feed the poor - TuPac

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2003, 01:04:06 PM »
"All this system hating shows how pathetic people are today. No wonder they say gaming is for nerds. Cause most gamers break down games and systems like their life depends on it and they fight over it."

EXACTLY- that's what I've been trying toe tell people for years. They're VIDEOGAMES people. It's not like if they're suddenly gone tomorrow our lives will end. It's just a hobby that a lot of people take way too far. Not all of them, but a good enough portion that it's becoming a problem. Seriously, if you guys think your lives revolve around videogames, you need to spread out more. Just designate like a week or a month or so in which you DON'T play videogames- it'll force people to explore what other things they have to do.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill