Author Topic: I can't believe this hasn't been posted. Sega talks about the next gen: Revolution  (Read 3424 times)

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20041209A7044.html

Q: What will be the major events for the industry in 2005?

A: With the introduction of next-generation consoles such as the Xbox 2 and PS3, software design houses will be required to put more manpower and capital into developing new games to cope with demand. So I think that there will be no room for small-scale design houses to survive in the software market for these consoles. However, small-scale software companies may be able to shift their efforts into developing games for handsets or Nintendo consoles.

Q: There are rumors that Sega might be acquired by Microsoft as Sega has long been a supporter of the Xbox. What are the next moves for Sega?

A: Many people have spoken about the close relationship between Sega and Microsoft, but the two companies have never discussed an acquisition or merger. However, there are many companies interested in Sega, and we also would be interested in other companies that have growth potential. Just recently we acquired the Japan-based Sammy Corporation, and we also have an interest in acquiring Taiwan software companies. During this trip to Taipei, we found that Xpec Entertainment and Interserv International both have good products and a talented staff.

Our investments will be targeted at companies that can help us keep pace with the industry, such as helping us produce products for next-generation platforms and high-performance PCs. New platforms such as the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 2 will likely be launched in 2005, and software for portable consoles is also expected to grow vigorously.

Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
So nothing has changed...  Sega still disrespects Nintendo even though they're the bankrupt company.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
Yeah you have to take into consideration that circumstances between Sega and Nintendo have not always been smooth and may have worsened since the Cube's failure to sell Sega's exclusives at the level they thought they would.

I'm hoping this is Sega just being sour and not being right.  If they were right all the time they wouldn't have fallen from the top of the industry to third party.  

What he is saying though is wierd.  I can understand that Nintendo might not have the most powerful next gen system, but he talks like there is no next gen system from Nintendo.  He makes it sound like they are either abandoning the console market or making some new console that is half the power of the next systems from the competition.  I would rather see Nintendo become a third party than see them release a beafed up GameCube that doesn't get supported by anyone because it is so uslessly weak compared to the competition it won't sell.  They might be taking the idea of budget console too far.  I know that things are getting more expensive and complicated in the development process but that means you have to sell games Nintendo.  That means you have to open your ears and give people what they want.  They want some new games.  It seems really stupid of them to preach innovation and revolution and continue to pump sequels upon people.  Noone is taking Nintendo serious about their next console right now.  Too many people even thought the DS was not going to see the success of past GameBoys.  Everyone is expecting Nintendo to release something underpowered and underdeveloped for children with emaculately polished ports and music games.  What happened to making adventures, quests, stories, and worlds in complete games that emerse the gamer in the fantasy?  People look at the Cube as a big lie that Nintendo told them about mature Mario games (it was a really BAD choice of words), a video of a mature Zelda, promises of more third party support, enough buttons on their controller that it couldn't be called inferior, Rare games, and Too Human.  Noone trusts Nintendo and its Nintendo's fault.  

What the hell does he mean by handsets?  

The rule of thumb is that if you're a small developer you will either develop on the handheld or the console that has the most users, most developers, and lowest liscensing fees.  Small developers are not going to take a chance developing games on a Ninetendo budget console next generation, they can develop a budget game on the biggest baddest system with the most users and be a lot more safe than they would competing with Zelda for a small userbase.  The biggest developers in the industry are affraid of doing games on the Cube.  The biggest developers with the most secure of franchises are afraid of the Cube because noone can figure out if a game will sell or not no matter what the game is.  Noone trusts the Cube and noone will trust the Revolution if Nintendo doesn't change something.  Ultimately it means they will be dead from the word go if they show something that not only has unchanged visuals, but does nothing new for console gaming outside of DS compatibility for the touch screen.  How can it be a revolution if it is going to be billed as a secondary console?  What is so revolutionary about it?  I know, its revolutionary how fast Nintendo may destroy their legitimacy by calling their next system Revolution and not devlivering.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
"Yeah you have to take into consideration that circumstances between Sega and Nintendo have not always been smooth and may have worsened since the Cube's failure to sell Sega's exclusives at the level they thought they would."

What would those be?  Beach Spikers, Billy Hatcher, and the Super Monkey Ball games?  Most Sega Cube titles are updated Dreamcast ports or multiplatform releases.  And Billy Hatcher would never sell on any system anywhere EVER.  It's like they were trying to make the most unappealing childish game ever.  Sega has given stronger support to the XBox where they have sold LESS games than on the Cube.  I'm not letting Nintendo completely off the hook because well over half of the Cube's problems were their fault but Sega isn't some innocent developer cranking out Cube-exclusive critical smashes that get ignored.

This interview doesn't reveal anything about the Revolution.  It does however reveal the huge bias against Nintendo that the Revolution has to overcome.  This guy knows nothing.  He's just ASSUMING the PS2 and Xbox2 will be the only consoles that matter.  This is a scary assumption because it's going to affect Sega's output in the next generation.  If that's the way the company thinks it won't matter how amazing the Revolution is.  Sega has already decided it's nothing and isn't going to support it.  This is the same attitude Konami had when the Cube was revealed.  There was a lot of "well it's not going to suceed so I won't take it seriously" sh!t coming out of third parties (and retailers like Blockbuster) with the Cube and the self-fulfilling prophecy effect took over.  Those who assume something will be a failure will react to it in a way that ensures it will be a failure.

This is very scary for Nintendo.  I look at the current Cube situation (a hole Nintendo dug themselves in as nemo mentioned) and realistically I don't think any company besides Nintendo cares about the Revolution.  Hell aside from some of us fans the media, retailers, and the general gaming public don't care either.  The Cube had a rough time because of pre-conceived bias and at least then they had Factor 5, Rare, Silicon Knights, and Capcom supporting them.  Now those same supporters have either left or lessened support.  The Gamecube had to climb up a hill, the Revolution has to climb up a cliff.  Nintendo has to really WOW everyone with the Revolution.  They have to do everything right because everyone is assuming they're going to do everything wrong.  They can't even be okay, they have to be perfect.  And even then it might not work.

Though I think part of the solution is inadvertingly revealed in the interview.  "However, small-scale software companies may be able to shift their efforts into developing games for handsets or Nintendo consoles."  If all of the big companies have lost interest then Nintendo can always help fill up the release schedule by publishing games for smaller independent developers.  That's not enough on it's own but it would be a good way to get some support and provide some variety.  

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
"I know, its revolutionary how fast Nintendo may destroy their legitimacy by calling their next system Revolution and not devlivering."

I hope you weren't trying to be witty, because that was lame. It's all in the execution.

Anyway, Sega has no room for complaint. Probably the only title it's got that still sells well anymore is Sonic Heroes, and that sold best on Cube if I'm not mistaken. I think they just have no idea what Nintendo's console is about. Again. As usual.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
I wish I knew what Nintendo's console was because the other two systems are going to be the same old same old and I'm not interested in that.

I'm also not interested in small games by small companies.  I want complete games with expansive worlds and developed story.  

Almost a year ago I said the industry would fall apart in the move into the next generation if the next consoles don't do something different.  Whether I'm right or wrong, if there aren't some really cool new forms of interactivity shown at E3 then I'm not going to buy a new console from any of the companies.  

The console market will most likely die like PC gaming and nothing will be left but the handhelds which will take over all gaming responsibilities until virtual reality becomes affordable.  Right now, as the man says in the interview, the handhelds are the market of profits.  The next consoles are going to be really expensive for the consumer and the games will be expensive for the developers.  

I read a review for the new Myst and it sounds like it has taken steps towards virtual reality.  They say with the mouse you can touch anything in the game with your hand.  The idea of being able to pupeteer a digital character's arms and hands is very interesting.  Of course I want a game that is true free roaming 3d so one could run and jump too like in traditional gaming.  For example you could reach to touch a bird that lands beside you and it will fly away or you can push a branch down out of your field of view.

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
I think the message from interview may have suffered, to a degree, from translation issues: it sounds to me like 'handsets' should mean portable consoles. The GBA has been around so long that any serious gamer that doesn't have one is missing out on all the 2D goodness the industry can produce. Of course the PSP and DS are around now, but I'd wager the GBA will linger on. I say all this because the GBA is known to be an easy platform to develop for, and with the DS also emerging as one, it looks like Nintendo may, ironically, champion the 'developer's friend' approach yet.

Honestly though, niche games by small companies from Japan sound fine to me. I don't regret not owning a PS2 because of games like FF: X and MGS3, but because of games like Katamari Damancy and Gradius V. I realise my tastes probably stray far from those of the average North American gamer's, but whatever sells is whatever's cool, and how can anyone change that?  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
speaking of quirky japanese games...cubivore...iu loved that game..it gave me carpal tunnel
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
I was under the impresssion Sammy acquired them...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Rich

• View Profile
From what I've read, Reggie has actually been meeting up with Iwata, and if he is contributing to the decision making then I believe that Nintendo will be much better off next generation.  I have faith that Reggie can do with Nintendo what he did with VH1, then Nintendo will be fine.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Well what Sega is right about is the cost of developing games for the larger systems.  With each new system it becomes harder and harder for small development companies to produce a game that can compete.  

This will create two seperate trends.

1)Small development houses will start developing more for the DS and possibly the PSP where it will be easier to compete.

2)Larger development houses like EA will continue to swollow the small creative development teams and make them their own.  These development houses are still going to need large amounts of resources to develop timely games as well.  I also expect the polish of games to go down not greatly increase with the next console system, but that is just me.

I really hope this means Nintendo will consider buying up some of these creative teams.  Nintendo really needs to expand their development power as much as they can.  They need to be able to release one new game a month for both the DS and Cube/Revolution when it comes out.

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
kirby_killer_dedede: Exactly. Sega acquired Sammy? Bull. It was a hostile takeover by Sammy, Sega had originally rejected their merger proposal. (They talked afterward with Namco, and then just decided to stick it out on their own, but Sammy went after them anyway.)

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
handsets/levers