Author Topic: specualtion on how newly anounced games will use DS features  (Read 14121 times)

Offline ActorJ

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
specualtion on how newly anounced games will use DS features
« on: August 14, 2004, 09:26:52 AM »
About a year ago when the PSP was first anounced, I posted on the Gaming-Age boards that nintendo better not sit back and think that the GBA can survive against the PSP, that they better get cracking on something to answer it. Well they did. And I'm impressed. I also commented that they would need ot kick the hype machine into full gear, hype has never been something Nintendo has generated very well, they've been such a "polite" compnay. Well, if there isn't a mountain of DS hype, and growing every day......

So while Nintendo keeps us waiting for actual screenshots, deatils on the final specs of the hardware, and gameplay information, I figure I'd speculate a little about a few of the games anounced so far, and genres in general. I'll start with....

Castlevania I am glad to hear that this is expected to be another side scrolling RPG style game. I fully expect to see grpahics on an equal or surpasing Symphony of the Night, given the DS power. And I feel pretty confident that the sound will rock too. But what is going to set this apart from the other four games like it?

What if you were required to speak a password at a certain location? What if that password was hidden somewhere else in the castle? What if it was necessary to makr certain walls using the stylus? what if there was an opportuity to conduct an "orchestra of the undead". Forget using the second screen as a map, why not display the "second caslte" and the same time?

As a side note I would LOVE to see a game where you could once again travel outside the castle, into towns, forrests and so on, ala simon's quest.....

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:specualtion on how newly anounced games will use DS features
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 10:05:49 AM »
I think lots of games will have mastermind and slide puzzles

weither they can code, voice codes on 128-256meg without cutting part of the game will be suprising
im sure this will easly be done in 1-2 years, esp since u can get 1gig sd cards now

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
RE: specualtion on how newly anounced games will use DS features
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 02:17:48 PM »
Think Harry Potter...a Chess game for the DS via voice command?  I personally think it's a brilliant idea, especially if marketed under the Harry Potter Wizard's Chess name.

EDIT: bah, wrong thread...:-P
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 11:11:13 PM »
With Castlevania maps being as large as they are (with correspondingly long traversal times) a small addition that would make the going much easier would be to add a teleport spell that uses the touch screen.
After your Belmont (or associated other vampire hunter) learns the spell, any regular room could be warped to by touching the room on the map.
As you mentioned, the graphics ought to be stellar built off the ARM 9, and they can basically use an ARM 7 to be a sound processor of sorts...can't wait to hear what they can come up with on that front.
At any rate, Koji Igarashi and his team seem hard at work with new ideas....afterall one of his comments in regards to DS development was that he "desired to make a Castlevania game, but only after he could figure out interesting use of the touchscreen". Seeing as how the game is now official, they must have thought of something very cool indeed.

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 06:04:49 PM »
I think the second screen (besides obviously containing the HP meter and such) could be used to conjure magic spells.  For example, to cast a spell you would have to get your touch screen and draw and anarchy type symbol on the touch screen (dont know why games like this use anarchy symbols so much but meh).  You still have your left hand free so while your drawing this you have to avoid getting hit by enemies and such.  Eventually you have to be very good at drawing and very quick about it.  

Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 07:22:30 PM »
I remember one thing that was fun on Mario 64 was when the game was starting up you could mess with mario's face, you could stretch or shrink hhis features (they later made that into a mario-party  mini-game).  This has nothing to do with the game, but I think that with the stylus it could be pretty cool.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 07:35:34 PM »
Lost: It's called a pentagram. Depending on the orientation it can be used to summon or ban demons.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 12:40:27 PM »
I think the second screen could be used for map, menus, and spells.  I like the ideas about speaking passwords and spells; and marking walls with different colors or bloods for spells would be awesome.  One could, find a spell, take a group of ingredients, have them made into a potion, and then use them in the spell that requires a drawing.

I feel that a Transalvania world map would work best in a three quarters view like Zelda; while the Castle itself would work best in sidescrolling.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 02:41:36 PM »

Originally posted by: Lost101
I think the second screen (besides obviously containing the HP meter and such) could be used to conjure magic spells.  For example, to cast a spell you would have to get your touch screen and draw and anarchy type symbol on the touch screen (dont know why games like this use anarchy symbols so much but meh).  You still have your left hand free so while your drawing this you have to avoid getting hit by enemies and such.  Eventually you have to be very good at drawing and very quick about it.

I've just added you to the list of people I'm going to smack as soon as I invent a way to do it through the Internet. It's called a pentagram or a pentacle. It means a bunch of different things. It represents the elements, The Goddess, it's a symbol for protection, etc. Unless it's flipped upside down. At which point it becomes some stupid angsty teenager's way of 'expressing himself'.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 06:11:45 PM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

I've just added you to the list of people I'm going to smack as soon as I invent a way to do it through the Internet. It's called a pentagram or a pentacle. It means a bunch of different things. It represents the elements, The Goddess, it's a symbol for protection, etc. Unless it's flipped upside down. At which point it becomes some stupid angsty teenager's way of 'expressing himself'.

Oh thats beautiful.  Im the one who deserves to be smacked but your not to sure what its called either.  I said "anarchy type symbol" because I wasnt sure what it was called, just like you.  I have seen it in several castlevania type dark games like Eternal Darkness or Diablo, and in Full Metal Alchemist they use a similar symbol to it to conjure alchemy, so I figured it must be some kind of symbol to make magic or something.  Im not an expert on it, but Im not pretending to be like you.  

And btw yes I think Anarchy and the whole goth thing is very stupid, just look at my sig.  
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 10:00:27 PM »
Funny enough, most Japanese think you can summon demons with the six sided David's Star. Maybe that's why Japan sided with Germany in WW2?

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 04:32:47 PM »
no i'm not, friggen pasword stealing brother...
Banned

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2004, 12:26:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

Oh thats beautiful.  Im the one who deserves to be smacked but your not to sure what its called either.  I said "anarchy type symbol" because I wasnt sure what it was called, just like you.  I have seen it in several castlevania type dark games like Eternal Darkness or Diablo, and in Full Metal Alchemist they use a similar symbol to it to conjure alchemy, so I figured it must be some kind of symbol to make magic or something.  Im not an expert on it, but Im not pretending to be like you.  

And btw yes I think Anarchy and the whole goth thing is very stupid, just look at my sig.

Yeah, I cant sleep, so time to scroung old threads...

Pentigram/Penticale, this is a pagan religious symbol relating to the stages of life and representations of The Goddess.  As such, the pentical is often used in pagan religous rites and rituals.  It also has signifigant mathmaticl properties.  More recently, other gourps have used it, not for its original purpous, but rather as a symbol aginst the mainstream christian religions, usually twisting its meaning, or perception by other people.  Dirk was right.  The Anarchy Symbol was a symbol created in Britan in the the mid 1970's during the "punk" movment.  It symbolizes the memeber's dislike for the establisment and things that stand for order, such as corprate life and most of the mainstream.

As for you perception of "goth".  You seem to have to wrong view on it.  But, most mainstream people do, seeing has there only experience would be with stupid teenages whom calim the title yet have nothing to do with anything related to it.  Education is out there...   www.goth.net

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2004, 05:28:36 AM »
I see that just like the poser goths, the real goths use stupidly unreadable fonts on their site too.

"Just turn up to a club or event wearing all black and your already in the goth scene."

And this site is trying to disprove the goth stereotype?
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2004, 08:01:51 AM »

Originally posted by: Renny
I see that just like the poser goths, the real goths use stupidly unreadable fonts on their site too.

"Just turn up to a club or event wearing all black and your already in the goth scene."

And this site is trying to disprove the goth stereotype?

Perhaps something is wrong with your monitor.  It shows up crystal for me, and very much ledgible.  But, I am on an LCD, and I do rember it not looking quite rite on my old CRT monitor...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2004, 09:17:58 PM »
It was probably built on an LCD, too. Remember kids: Don't do any form of graphical work on an LCD! Companies like EA don't allow art-related employees to use LCDs at their workplace...