Author Topic: Wiimote Battery Solutions  (Read 5516 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Wiimote Battery Solutions
« on: December 20, 2006, 07:56:15 AM »
I just picked up an energizer NiMH charger at Circuit City which came with 4 NiMH 2500 mAh AA batteries and I picked up another pack of 4, all for $42.

These advertise that they are specifically-geared for high-drain devices like digital cameras (and Wiimotes are certainly high-drain devices).

If this works out, within 4 months it will have paid for itself in battery costs, and that doesn't take into account the 4 player games which could show up and increase battery expenditure tenfold.

There's also this little gem, but it's not out in the states as of yet and they're backordered.

What's everyone else doing for batteries?

EDIT: Wrong link.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Wiimote Battery Solutions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 07:59:23 AM »
I've been using those same type of batteries since the Japanese GBA launch and I have quite a few of them.  Disposable batteries should be outlawed.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 08:07:38 AM »
What I'd like to know is why there are no rechargeable lithium-ion AA batteries.

L-Ion IS a rechargeable technology (the DS and SP both use it) so why no AAs?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline 31 Flavas

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 08:35:13 AM »
Voltage differences. A Li-ion cell puts out 3.3 volts, i'm told. Where as NiMH / NiCads put out 1.2 volts. It's not worth it to split a li-ion cell.  
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 08:36:13 AM »
Probably because of a combination of the limited shelf-life of Li-ion batteries (you don't want to buy them after they've been sitting on a retailer's shelf for a year), safety concerns (the infamous Sony laptop batteries were Li-ion), the fact that over-discharging the batteries ruins them, and the fact that they're more expensive because of efforts to counter those last two problems.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 08:43:46 AM »
Ah, I didn't know Li-ons were so unstable...

Well, thank god for NiMH, then.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 08:54:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure LiON AA-sized batteries would be an enormous liability, especially when kids start putting them in their mouths...
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 09:02:27 AM »
what ever happened to alkaline rechargables? Does anybody still use these?  Here's a non-nintendo question that's right up the alley of this thread. Why do current cordless phones use the rechargable batteries that have a memory? why don't they use batteries similar to cellphone li-on?  This has been bugging me for a couple years since my stupid cordeless phone won't hold a charge for more than half an hour....
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
RE:Wiimote Battery Solutions
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 09:08:35 AM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
I've been using those same type of batteries since the Japanese GBA launch and I have quite a few of them.  Disposable batteries should be outlawed.

Heh, it's now illegal to throw batteries away in California.  You have to take them to dedicated recycling areas (Walmart does it for you).  So they are in a sense in CA.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 09:17:11 AM »

Originally posted by: ryancoke
what ever happened to alkaline rechargables? Does anybody still use these?  Here's a non-nintendo question that's right up the alley of this thread. Why do current cordless phones use the rechargable batteries that have a memory? why don't they use batteries similar to cellphone li-on?  This has been bugging me for a couple years since my stupid cordeless phone won't hold a charge for more than half an hour....

I've tried Rayovacs and they perform horribly. They're just not potent enough to stand up to Wiimote use and die within a matter of hours.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 11:07:27 AM »
How long did your free batteries last?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 11:39:54 AM »
I've just been leeching my parents batteries, energizers.  They have dozens of them, so it hasn't been a problem yet.  They last about twenty hours, it seems, give or take a few.
I may end up doing something like this eventually, though.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 01:03:34 PM »
I love the Engergizer rechargables, too. I use them for my Wavebird and 360 controllers, as well as my digital cameras. I may have to get more soon since I have added two Wii controllers.

Offline MANTI5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 03:26:21 PM »
I got the Energizer charger with 4 batteries for $20 at Walmart a few days after launch, definately worth it.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 08:31:06 PM »
This is the solution - and they ship to america!

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 02:25:42 AM »
bah, 1300mAH on those USB thingies. ++ cool factor though
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 02:35:11 AM »
I'm testing some old Energizer 1700 mAh AA NiMHs right now. I filled two Wiimotes with them and, thus far, they didn't lose any charge through last night's Elebits and Metal Slug sessions of play.

I mention this because the Rayovac batteries began losing charge rapidly, lasting less than an hour in some cases.

So, in summary (thus far):

NiMH = Good and usable
Rechargeable Alkaline = Definite NO

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 05:04:54 AM »
I'm not receiving enough info on those Rayovacs of yours.  What's the mAh, how old are they, when where they last charged, what games did you play, etc.  My Rayovacs are working fine (modern 2500mAh models).

And you'd better send a Mii over otherwise i'm kicking you off my list, mr. Box Face.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 08:20:36 AM »
To be fair, these Rayos are pretty old, but about the same age as the energizer 1700s which work just fine thus far.

As for Miis, I'll send you one but please stop sending Lucy. How did you know my LEAST favorite cartoon character ever?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 11:20:17 AM »
I apologize.  I lose track of who I send to, especially after getting the 20 Mii limit message.

Offline God Speaks

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 08:45:55 PM »
Get some of the new Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries with a good charger. These new NiMH batteries have negligible self discharge rates compared to other NiMH batteries thus making them suitable for usage in devices like a Wiimote or regular TV remotes. Expect to pay anywhere from $10 to $15 for a 4-pack.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 02:33:55 AM »
I got a charger and 4 NiMH batteries (2700 mAH) for like 40 bucks.
The first charge lasted me a good 2 weeks and I didn't wait for them to be drained completely.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 06:09:45 AM »

Originally posted by: God Speaks
Get some of the new Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries with a good charger. These new NiMH batteries have negligible self discharge rates compared to other NiMH batteries thus making them suitable for usage in devices like a Wiimote or regular TV remotes. Expect to pay anywhere from $10 to $15 for a 4-pack.

Will they work in a standard NiMH charger, though?