Author Topic: Nintendo Announces MP3/Video Player Add-on  (Read 7299 times)

Offline D-Mac Double

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo Announces MP3/Video Player Add-on
« on: December 15, 2004, 05:45:19 AM »
Source

I wonder if this is what that big "Anti-PSP" announcement is supposed to be.
If it is, I'm a bit underwhelmed, because I was hoping it would be something game-related, or even something about the DS online plans.

That's not to say the DS media player doesn't interest me, but I'm just hoping that Nintendo will soon have a bigger announcement than this one to combat the PSP.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Announces MP3/Video Player Add-on
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 06:32:42 AM »
I don't this is the big announcement, but it pleases me coz I planned to buy an mp3 player [Zen Micro is better than the iPod, no doubt about that!] coz now i don't have to if a DS can include the same function.

Offline DemonFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 07:15:10 AM »
A third party movie, music, .txt file AND NES rom (only in ver. 2) player, called GBA Movie Player, already exists. So this isn't that big...  

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Announces MP3/Video Player Add-on
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 09:50:23 AM »

Originally posted by: DemonFox
A third party movie, music, .txt file AND NES rom (only in ver. 2) player, called GBA Movie Player, already exists.

Yes but the official one that Nintendo is gonna release is gonna decode movies and music and won't use the SP/DS processor. So the videos won't be all pixellised (sp?) and choppy.
But the downside is the battery life could drop to 4 hours.

(info taken from a french website called puissance-nintendo)
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline DemonFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 10:20:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Ghisy

Originally posted by: DemonFox
A third party movie, music, .txt file AND NES rom (only in ver. 2) player, called GBA Movie Player, already exists.

Yes but the official one that Nintendo is gonna release is gonna decode movies and music and won't use the SP/DS processor. So the videos won't be all pixellised (sp?) and choppy.
But the downside is the battery life could drop to 4 hours.

(info taken from a french website called puissance-nintendo)

Well... high res GBA Movie Player movies sure look fine to me... It has to be high res though. Mid and low really suck.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 12:08:06 PM »
I'd be interested if Nintendo develops a video distribution system similar to what AM3 have done in Japan. Or they could license AM3 to be an official distributor. With the GBA's wireless link and the DS's built-in wireless they could even make another, more user-friendly system. Of course they would need to implement this in the US. A long shot.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 02:10:49 PM »
http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5903

this isn't for DS, though it can be played on it.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 07:38:08 AM »
Woo!  This rocks.

I don't really care for the video, but the mp3 bit rocks.  

Now I just have to get my hands on some of those badass NintendoDS headphones.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline DemonFox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 08:02:41 AM »
U don't care about the video? If u don't care about that just buy a cheap MP3 player...

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 10:58:52 AM »
w00000t w00t w00t w0t
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 10:01:41 PM »
I wonder how much SD cards are going for nowadays.  The only way I can imagine having a good amount of songs and perhaps a movie would be a gigabite really (then again compression because of the small screen could help..)
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline God Speaks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 11:08:15 PM »
The best SD cards cost about $60 for 512MB, $100 for 1GB.

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 01:07:15 AM »
$60 for 512MB, wouldn't pay that.....

Try here: Newegg 1GB SD

or

If you are really looking for 512MB SD Cards they can be had here for under $50:

Newegg 512MB SD

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2004, 10:29:08 AM »
Aren't you able to get 400 GB on an Ipod for $400?  This is all so expensive.  I might buy extras for my gaming experience but most of money will go to gaming mainly.

www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2004, 11:03:39 AM »
I believe it's 40 Gig for $500, but I could be mistaken.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2004, 01:06:49 PM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu
I believe it's 40 Gig for $500, but I could be mistaken.

Correct, well, for the iPod Photo.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2004, 04:55:16 PM »
I checked again.  Its 40 gig for $400 dollars.

Man Nintendo is so different with this announcement don't you guys think?  Usually you would see them push something that would be used for gaming rather it be some peripheral or game.  Here they talk about being worried so they have to add a music and video player?

Trying to equal all that extras to an Ipod an Ipod is extremely cheaper.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline God Speaks

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2004, 07:33:03 PM »
What part of BEST did you not understand? The best cards have the best transfer rates/performance and thus have the price premium. If you transfer files a lot, the difference between 1MB/s and 10MB/s is significant.

Originally posted by: - NintendoFan -
$60 for 512MB, wouldn't pay that.....

Try here: Newegg 1GB SD

or

If you are really looking for 512MB SD Cards they can be had here for under $50:

Newegg 512MB SD

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2004, 11:57:33 PM »
My loacl Wal-Mart has generic brand SD Card.  $15 for 128MB.  Although when you do a math, you find that it is cheeper to buy one 1GB SD card for around $80 (Some less) then it would be to buy 8, 128MB cards...

Whats really cool is that the Mp3 player I already have and my digital camera all use SD.  That and I have the card reader built in my PC.  So, I can stick to one type of flash media.  No need for 5 diffrent types of cards lyeing around...

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2004, 03:01:56 PM »
At least Nintendo is making the effort.  The cool thing about this is that it's an optional add-on...it gives people some of the functionality of a PSP without any sort of price premium.  It lets Nintendo go beyond their "all we do is gaming" ethos without looking like complete hypocrites.

Still, if buying a DS+MP3Player is the same as a PSP, I think that somebody looking for this functionality would just buy a PSP.  So I think this is definitely aimed more at the GBA market than the DS market.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2004, 08:46:33 PM »

A third party movie, music, .txt file AND NES rom (only in ver. 2) player, called GBA Movie Player, already exists

does anyone else have the gba movie player, i have the first one and i bought high memory cards for it being so excited that i could use all the video files i had on my pc on the go, it worked nicely for like music videos and short video game fmvs, biut when i did movie files or even an episode of spongebob (15 mins long) the audio was so far off from being in sync, that there was no way to enjoy the movie period.  I know the left and right buttons delayed the picture/sound, but that never even helped the case, it just seemed that the video was running fast enough and couldnt keep up with the audio.  I was so depressed with that, its been collecting dust since then.  Does anyone know if ver. 2 fixed this problem, or was it my fault or am i doomed to have this forever?  And there was no option for sound quality for the mp3s either, it majorly sucked and the sound quality of my mp3s became horrible, mp3s are so supposed to be digitally clean cut not noisy raspy crappy ringtone sounding.

oh well thats my problem, maybe nintendos answer is better

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2004, 08:47:55 PM »

A third party movie, music, .txt file AND NES rom (only in ver. 2) player, called GBA Movie Player, already exists

does anyone else have the gba movie player, i have the first one and i bought high memory cards for it being so excited that i could use all the video files i had on my pc on the go, it worked nicely for like music videos and short video game fmvs, biut when i did movie files or even an episode of spongebob (15 mins long) the audio was so far off from being in sync, that there was no way to enjoy the movie period.  I know the left and right buttons delayed the picture/sound, but that never even helped the case, it just seemed that the video was running fast enough and couldnt keep up with the audio.  I was so depressed with that, its been collecting dust since then.  Does anyone know if ver. 2 fixed this problem, or was it my fault or am i doomed to have this forever?  And there was no option for sound quality for the mp3s either, it majorly sucked and the sound quality of my mp3s became horrible, mp3s are so supposed to be digitally clean cut not noisy raspy crappy ringtone sounding.

oh well thats my problem, maybe nintendos answer is better

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2004, 11:59:00 AM »
I own one, and i know exactly what your talking about with the syncing. My only solution was the pressing of L and R (you press them more then once in case you didnt know that yet), or if it got really bad, waiting till it got to a certain minute and stopping and restarting the movie over and fsatforwarding to where i was. I'm not really sure if was fixed in version 2, i haven't used it much since i updated the firmware.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing