Author Topic: New Gamecube for 2005?  (Read 2140 times)

Offline surfdog

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
New Gamecube for 2005?
« on: November 29, 2004, 05:36:30 PM »
I'm looking for a game system for my 7-year-old for Christmas.  After researching the XBox, PS2, and Gamecube, I've decided the Gamecube games would be best for my daughter.  I've read a lot about the new XBox2 and PS3 systems expected out in 2005, but not much about the future of the Gamecube.  Is there a next generation GC coming out in the near future?  If I was looking at XBox or PS2 I would seriously consider waiting until next year.  What's the future of the Gamecube?

Thanks for your help.

Clueless Dad

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: New Gamecube for 2005?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 05:46:36 PM »
It's only $99 now with the Mario Kart and 2 controllers bundle (actual price would be $170ish); I don't think the next Nintendo will be out till 2006, but nobody will know for sure at least until next May. I'd say go for it, and go here next: http://www.planetgamecube.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=1372
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Morien

• View Profile
RE:New Gamecube for 2005?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 11:46:01 PM »
Yeah,
as it currently stands reports are that the next Xbox will be out late 2005, while the PS3 and Revolution (next Nintendo console) will be out 2006. Remember though that they are very expensive when they launch and often early models have issues (first Xbox was very loud and had unreliable DVD drives and the first PS2 was very loud and had other problems).
For the current price I'd buy a Gamecube for her for Christmas or something, and if you go to Gamespot you can see the top recommended games for kids.

Offline God Speaks

• View Profile
RE: New Gamecube for 2005?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 12:05:33 AM »
Some might say the current PS2's still have problems. *cough*Disc Read Error*cough*
--bitter PS2 owner

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 02:58:27 AM »
Nintendo always puts out the most durable products.  I still play my NES, I got it for Christmas when I was five.  Things with MS involved usually break down, like my computer and my Sega Dreamcast.  The Xbox is the same.  The PS2 only sales so many units because everyone that buys one ends up buying a second one.  After you buy a bunch of games for your PS2 it dies leaving you with a worthless library of software unless you were to go out and buy a PStwo.

The GameCube is most likely to not break down of the three disk systems, plus you can get the GBA player and play GBA games for cheap on your tv.  The bundle is a great deal, but don't forget to pick up some kind of memory card, even if it is one of the smaller cards.  

You get Mario Kart Double Dash which is probably the best multiplayer game that anybody can pick up and play.  The GameCube has the best lineup for families, I don't like to say its for kids because it is for everyone.  The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Pikmin 2, The Sims, and many other games that are already out for the system may appeal more to your kid than the frat boy games available for the Xbox and PS2.  

The GameCube is also still going to get some killer games before the next system is released.  The best game of all will most likely be the next Legend of Zelda which comes out next year.

I would go ahead and get the Cube now.  The price might drop some during the spring, but you never know when.  Best case scenerio, you get the Cube now, buy some games for it, then the next system comes out in 06 and is backwards compatible and able to play all of the Cube games you'll alread own.  Worst cast scenerio, you get the Cube, the price drops fifty dollars in Jan. or Feb., the next system is released in fall of 05 for $250 and isn't able to play Cube games.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline bigmike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 04:51:17 PM »
my 6 day old game cube bit it today and nintendo has to ship me a new one. it didn't even move from the hotel room i've been in and it died... boooo
oh well, 3 gameless days
mike