Author Topic: Gameboy DS  (Read 6616 times)

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Gameboy DS
« on: November 28, 2004, 07:35:36 PM »
The third pillar thing doesn't sit well with little kids. During thanksgiving all my relatives came over with their kids. And they were all like "Wow! You have a Gameboy DS?" I tried to explain that it was just called Nintendo DS. Five minutes later they asked if they could play my Gameboy DS. They're elementary schoolers, but they're really excited about it, which is good. It just kind of shows how the general public views the DS. Once they see handheld and Nintendo together, they think Gameboy. It IS the best handheld in history, so that's not necessarily  a bad thing. I just thought it was kind of funny to hear Gameboy DS. It got annoying, but it was interesting to hear people's initial reactions. Adults asked me if it was the new Gameboy also.  

Offline D-Mac Double

• View Profile
RE:Gameboy DS
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 12:03:53 AM »
"Gameboy" is a very well-established brand name, so I could see this happening to the PSP as well.

Portable gaming system is to "Gameboy".
As facial tissue paper is to "Kleenex".

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
RE: Gameboy DS
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 02:19:11 AM »
Yeah, there were two kids behind me in history last week, and they were all talking about the new Game Boy...this one kid was trying to act all knowledgeable and stuff...

"Smart" Kid: There's a new Game Boy coming out.
Other: What's it called?
"Smart" Kid: The Gameboy DS.  It even has two screens!  It might have an X and Y buttons too.  There' s a rumor that it's a touch screen.
Other: awesome!  When's it coming out?
"Smart" Kid: Summer 2005.
Other: Oh...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 02:50:51 AM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
Yeah, there were two kids behind me in history last week, and they were all talking about the new Game Boy...this one kid was trying to act all knowledgeable and stuff...

"Smart" Kid: There's a new Game Boy coming out.
Other: What's it called?
"Smart" Kid: The Gameboy DS.  It even has two screens!  It might have an X and Y buttons too.  There' s a rumor that it's a touch screen.
Other: awesome!  When's it coming out?
"Smart" Kid: Summer 2005.
Other: Oh...

Haha.  That's pretty funny.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline jarob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 05:21:33 AM »
Did you correct them?  That it is out now?

I have not seen any commercials for the DS.  What shows/channels are they advertising on?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 07:01:20 AM »
The only people who have ever thought this third pillar idea was going to fly are Nintendo and the really die hard Nintendo fanboys that blindly accept everything the company says or does.  The rest of us knew from the get-go that the general public would regard a new Nintendo portable that can play GBA games as the next Gameboy.  It's not just with kids it's with everyone.  Adults might know that it's called just the "DS" with no "Gameboy" but they still regard it as the GBA successor.

It's not like this is bad for Nintendo or anything.  So what if people think it's the new Gameboy as long as they still buy it right?  If anything this is helping DS sales.  The only problem I can see with this is if Nintendo has stupidly manufactured millions of new GBAs to sell next year.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 07:25:32 AM »
>The rest of us knew from the get-go that the general public would regard a new Nintendo portable that can play GBA games as the next Gameboy.

Yeah, but as was mentioned above, the general public will probably regard the new Sony portable that doesn't play GBA games as the next GameBoy.  The general public isn't the brighest bunch of people.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 08:30:42 AM »
The "third pillar" talk is Nintendo's way of covering all of their bases.  It wouldn't make business sense for them to say, "The DS is replacing the GBA SP, but we'll keep selling the SP as long as you suckers will buy it".  Statements like these are great because they're easy for companies to go back on later.  I can see it three years from now...

Q: Why did you stop selling the GBA SP?  What happened to the "three-pillar" idea?
A: With the DS being so popular, the demand for the SP was no longer there.  The discontinuation of the SP was dictated more by market conditions than anything else.

See?  Corporate-speak is so EASY.  Maybe I should start selling a kit.

I don't think there's a successor to GameBoy in the works either.  I think that's just a smokescreen to prevent people from flipping out and saying, "OMG, Nintendo's FORCING me to migrate to DS?  Screw them!"  Nintendo is doing something behind the scenes, but I bet that that R&D will be incorporated into a DS successor instead.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 10:36:55 AM »
A Nintendo Exec. did say [paraphrasing] that they would like to do a Portable GC if it became technically feasible, ie. battery and cost [/paraphrasing] - No I don't have a link nor do I remember where I saw it or who said it, but trust me I remember seeing it in a random interview somewhere.

And I know that Nintendo is always researching the next thing, constantly trying to make something more efficient and cost effective, So I am pretty sure that they have the next GB on paper at least and maybe even in protype/working concept.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 01:58:24 PM »
The way I figure it is that the DS is indeed a third pillar, and they're probably working on the next generation Gameboy right now. If I'm right, it will probably have one screen like always, and will be capable of Gamecube-like graphics. Sort of on the lines of the PSP. Of course, this is just me and my speculation.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 03:41:17 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
A Nintendo Exec. did say [paraphrasing] that they would like to do a Portable GC if it became technically feasible, ie. battery and cost [/paraphrasing] - No I don't have a link nor do I remember where I saw it or who said it, but trust me I remember seeing it in a random interview somewhere.

And I know that Nintendo is always researching the next thing, constantly trying to make something more efficient and cost effective, So I am pretty sure that they have the next GB on paper at least and maybe even in protype/working concept.

Seriously, what else can they do with a handheld at this point?

4 8 15 16 23 42

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 03:44:10 PM »

Originally posted by: jarob
Did you correct them?  That it is out now?

I have not seen any commercials for the DS.  What shows/channels are they advertising on?

Adult Swim, WB, Fox, ESPN, MTV, a lot of prime-time.

My friend and I planned something out today...I took my DS to school today (I know, stupid me) and we stood right in front of the "smart" kid.  So I pull out my DS while the history teacher's not there, and I'm like "Check out my DS!" and he's like "It's not supposed to come out till summer!" and I go, "I have a distant relative who works at Nintendo."  You should have seen the "smart" kid's face...

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 11:27:35 PM »

My friend and I planned something out today...I took my DS to school today (I know, stupid me) and we stood right in front of the "smart" kid.  So I pull out my DS while the history teacher's not there, and I'm like "Check out my DS!" and he's like "It's not supposed to come out till summer!" and I go, "I have a distant relative who works at Nintendo."  You should have seen the "smart" kid's face...

That was so cool.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 10:18:42 AM »
*kirby_killer_dedede earns 5,984 Cool Points*

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 10:24:05 AM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede

Originally posted by: jarob"It's not supposed to come out till summer!" and I go, "I have a distant relative who works at Nintendo."  You should have seen the "smart" kid's face...

HA!  Thats the best!

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 10:36:58 AM »
LOL, that sounds hilaroius.  I actually freaked out my friend the other day when I showed him my DS.   "Its out already?!?" is the reaction Im getting from game enthusiasts and "What is that?" is what Im getting from casual gamers.

Both however, are really impressed when I show them just how good Mario 64 looks on the DS, a lot better than a lot of them remember atleast.  
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline Procoprio

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 09:27:02 AM »
The word 'gameboy' is getting about as common as the the word 'xerox'.  Where people just call any handheld system 'gameboy'.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 09:56:37 AM »
Super Mario 64 does look a lot better on the DS, except for the lack of filtering (which probably isn't as big of a deal on the small screen, but I don't have a DS yet to know for myself).  Seriously, though, Mario didn't really look like Mario in the original game - he looked like polygon Mario.  In this version, I think he looks a lot better...you can still tell he's made of polygons, but he looks like Mario.

Awesome, kirby_killer_dedede!

I wonder if people will call the PSP the Gameboy Playstation?  That would be funny.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline ActorJ

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 10:23:18 AM »
add my voice to the choir, there is no next gameboy. ds is it. I have been saying this for months actually. Nintendo's third pillar nonsense was a way to covere their asses in case ds flopped. If the DS was a third pillar, and experiment, and it flopped, no biggie, no harm the the gameboy name, and nintendo can put a rush on the next "standard" gameboy to counter PSP. Nintendo HAD to release a new handheld, they could not put the GBA up against PSP for obvious reasons. But they were in a very, very tough spot, releasing a successor to the GBA only four years after the GBA's launch, and only a year after the SP would have made joe consumer very upset with them. Solution? Third PILLAR!

But,  since the DS has so far been a grand success, and is looking like it will easilly be the market leader against the PSP, nintendo will quietly drop the third pillar line, and establish DS as its new handheld standard. I worte a rather extensive essay on this subject, but to the point: It would me totally ridiculous to try and market to seperate handheld lines at the same time, which frankly have simialr games, one more powerful but trdationally single screened, and one somewhat less powerful but with touch screen et al. Unfirendly to consumers to make them have both, and brutal to developers to ask them to support both. And that's before it comes time to release successor to DS. Now you have a ulltra powerful dual screend handheld, and a less powerful standard handheld side by side. It's just a mess.

DS may not be gameboy DS, but it is the next "gameboy".

P.S. all these anecdotes about elementary aged kids not knowing the DS is out already tell me one thing. The DS ads really have been targetting and older crowed......also at best buy i havent had one kid ask about the DS, its all teens and adults....

Offline God Speaks

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 02:16:55 PM »
"Only" 4 years? You're kidding...

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 02:33:01 PM »
I know, I am cool.

And 4 years...think how long the original Game Boy ran, and then tell me "only."

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2004, 02:18:04 AM »
Game Cube -> Game Boy
Play Station -> Play Boy ?