Author Topic: Nintendo Comments on Lack of AC Adapter for New Nintendo 3DS Systems in North America  (Read 15475 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
What is the story about the Shin Megami/Fire Emblem promotion?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Once upon a time, there was a girl who registered two Fire Emblem games and Shin Megami games on two separate Club Nintendo accounts. She broke the rules of Club Nintendo AND WAS MADE TO PAY!!!!!

The end.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Translation: "We're cheap." *Reggie shrug*

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Wow. That story is a downer.
My Game Collection

the guy at the video game store didn't even know this was a thing but he said good for him more A/C adapter sales.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
This is a weird choice.  I don't think NA is like Japan where there are that many people (who don't post here) who own multiple systems.  Do they just not expect any new buyers?  Because I know some people who are looking for systems to supplement their Xbox/Playstation systems.  I usually recommend the 3DS, but not including the charger will definitely turn people off.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
While I think they should include a charger with the system, isn't this the same problem that people complained about in the past with games, second controllers, and memory cards not being bundled with systems?

It is inconvenient, and mostly a negative for the consumer, but there is a bit of a precedent.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Memory cards would be the closest comparison, since those are definitely required and I can't remember anything ever coming with them, except, ironically, the 3DS.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

the real question is, are the excluding it in all regions or is this just a North America thing? I haven't been following along that closely but New 3DS has been out in Japan for a few months and I don't remember hearing about this issue before. If it is world wide then their excuse makes sense, if it is isolated to NA then they are full of ****.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure the regular XL didn't include it in Japan, so I'd imagine this one didn't as well.

J.P. Corbran

Online lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
From an informed gamer standpoint, this is a minor annoyance I can fix with a $3 purchase from Amazon.

But if I were an uninformed father whose son desperately wanted a "New" 3DS, I would buy the system for my son, we'd take it home to find it had no charger, and I would begrudgingly buy one new from Gamestop/Best Buy/Wherever at full list price because it would unfairly punish my son to make him wait an extra 3-5 days because Nintendo decided they had to eke out an extra few dollars in their profit margin.

Don't fool yourselves, that charger costs Nintendo $1-$3 tops to manufacture.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
At the same time, the uninformed father's ignorance and/or refusal to read the box is on him. I can't empathize with people who pass the buck on others. Is this worth the trouble for Nintendo? Probably not initially, but like all things, it'll blow over.

I'd definitely be annoyed by this if New 3DS required a completely different AC adapter than older models (like DSi) and didn't include one on top of that.

Online lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
At the same time, the uninformed father's ignorance and/or refusal to read the box is on him. I can't empathize with people who pass the buck on others. Is this worth the trouble for Nintendo? Probably not initially, but like all things, it'll blow over.

I'd definitely be annoyed by this if New 3DS required a completely different AC adapter than older models (like DSi) and didn't include one on top of that.

Just out of curiosity, I tried to take a look at a picture of a current 3DS box.  Take a look at this and identify where it's marked that it doesn't come with a charger.

I can't see it, can you?

I usually agree with the notion that a person should be an "informed buyer", but other than Nintendo 3DS, I can't think of a single electronic device that doesn't come with the charging device needed.  There is an implicit expectations that if you buy an electronic device, it'll have a power cord. 

You gotta admit it's a bit deceptive, at least. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I can't see it, can you?
Bottom left corner.
You gotta admit it's a bit deceptive, at least.
Even the humidifier I bought a couple months ago clearly labeled the contents on the box. I've stated my thoughts numerous times in this thread. So I wouldn't call it deceptive (particularly since the box tells you what's included), just odd.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
The problem is a lot of stores keep them locked up, so you'd have to get the guy to get it out for you and then make him wait for you to read all that ****.

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Honestly, at this point, they should just throw in a USB charger.  It would cost them pennies to produce and add virtually no additional size to the package.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Memory cards would be the closest comparison, since those are definitely required and I can't remember anything ever coming with them, except, ironically, the 3DS.

Technically you didn't NEED a memory card.  I think you just needed it to save.  Of course I never tried playing a game without one but I figured you could just play the game but never be able to save your progress.  It is effectively a requirement but I don't think it technically is.  But this?  You get the system, you play it through its first charge, and then it becomes a paper weight unless you buy a charger.  Hell this even TRICKS you.  Something doesn't come with the HDMI cable?  Bummer, but you'll catch that as you're hooking it up to your TV.  With this you could buy it for your kid, he immediately starts playing it, it dies after a few hours and then, THUD, your kid starts crying because he can't play his game and you're stuck scrambling for an adapter.  There will be several hours where there is the illusion of everything working fine for a product where kids and unknowing parents are a big part of the target demo.

Plus not including memory cards was the industry standard at the time.  It was a lame and we didn't like it but at least everyone was doing it.  What mobile electronic device sold in North America does NOT come with a charger?  It is completely against consumer expectations.  I fully expect NOA to get considerable flack for this.

I am not sure how far it will go but knowing American's attitudes about this stuff I would see a class action lawsuit to come out of it, it will fail but someone will still try to sue.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
You get the system, you play it through its first charge, and then it becomes a paper weight unless you buy a charger.
I'm pretty sure no 3DS system comes already charged, so your scenario won't happen. It won't be usable at all without a charger.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
You get the system, you play it through its first charge, and then it becomes a paper weight unless you buy a charger.
I'm pretty sure no 3DS system comes already charged, so your scenario won't happen. It won't be usable at all without a charger.

Not charged 100%, but generally 25% to 50% charged when its first turned on.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
The 3DS constantly reminds you to keep the system plugged in when it's updating. Good luck doing a system transfer with just one AC adapter.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
The 3DS constantly reminds you to keep the system plugged in when it's updating. Good luck doing a system transfer with just one AC adapter.

Well said. I had this very issue!  :@

(shameless self promotion)
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
The fantastic thing with that is it'll just sit there waiting for you to acknowledge that it wants you to plug it in, so it basically insists on wasting as much of your battery life as possible unless it's unlimited, in which case it goes quickly.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
Not charged 100%, but generally 25% to 50% charged when its first turned on.
Huh, my systems and such didn't come with any charge, I always had to plug them in before I could power them on. I wonder what the dealio is...