Author Topic: Turok Remaster on Switch! What other N64 games to come?  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Turok Remaster on Switch! What other N64 games to come?
« on: March 19, 2019, 07:48:50 PM »
I'm loving the throwback of Turok on Switch. It is everything I hoped from a touched up port pretty much. The added gyro controls are a perfect touch. Gives me an itch to play other old school shooters, so I'm pumped to get Turok 2 and hope that 3 and Rage Wars follow.

But what other games from the N64 library would be good candidates for similar remasters? What small tweaks would you add to improve them? What games could stand some graphical touch ups and be made available on the eShop?

The same studio also remastered Forsaken, which I loved, so that would be a good candidate for Switch.

Shadows of the Empire is another that would be playable today with some touch ups.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Turok Remaster on Switch! What other N64 games to come?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 07:55:35 PM »
Perfect Dark if the rumors are true.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 09:28:59 PM »
Shadows of the Empire also had a pc port. So, it probably is one of the easier ones to port.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 06:50:19 PM »
Shadows of the Empire also had a pc port. So, it probably is one of the easier ones to port.

I recall it also looking nicer on PC too. Though interestingly, Night Dive ported Turok 1/2 from the N64 version, not the PC ones, so thankfully it shouldn't be something to hold back a game from consideration.
My Game Collection

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »
Perfect Dark if the rumors are true.

The Live rumors for Switch are absolutely true. I'm hoping that leads to Rare Replay and other games coming over and am betting we hear more publicly at E3.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 05:43:23 PM »
I recall it also looking nicer on PC too. Though interestingly, Night Dive ported Turok 1/2 from the N64 version, not the PC ones, so thankfully it shouldn't be something to hold back a game from consideration.
I'm curious, where did you hear about this? I was under the impression that the reason Turok 1 and 2 were redone is because they had PC versions, and 3 and Rage Wars are not being redone since they did not have PC versions.

I've always kind of felt like the Turok series was overlooked, perhaps in large part due to Godeneye. It was a great series in its own right, and the multiplayer in 3 and Rage Wars was every bit as good as GE and PD, just in a different way. It would be sweet if 3 and Rage Wars could make a comeback with online play, but that's probably wishful thinking...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 07:44:15 PM »
I liked the Turok series, but the fog and draw distance were horrible, and overall level design was easy to get lost in.  Finally, there were never enough dinosaurs in those games to hunt.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 12:39:29 PM »
Only the first game really has a fog problem.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 06:50:45 PM »
I liked the Turok series, but the fog and draw distance were horrible, and overall level design was easy to get lost in.  Finally, there were never enough dinosaurs in those games to hunt.
The remasters solve all those problems! Well, except maybe the last one...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 06:59:35 PM »
It was a comment from the devs on their Discord channel as I recall. I could probably go dig up the conversation for further dissection. They also implied they were aware of the demand for 3/Rage and while they had nothing right now to announce, too keep an eye out for future announcements.
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 02:06:11 PM »
Konami should re-release Mystical Ninja 64 and all the Goemon games. To me those would have been Essential N64 Classic Games.

Quest 64 as well. I feel like that game got a bad rap. That game was epic in scope. It had some of the best environments of the time. It was compared inevitably to FFVII. It didn't have fancy FMVs, and pre-rendered backgrounds. It had a real time turn based combat system. I think it would have benefited from a party system though.  Really good music.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 06:05:59 PM »
I think Quest 64 had some good ideas, but was overall a little too simple and had some issues with how leveling elements worked. Still, it wasn't a bad game, better than the generic title would make it seem. Part of the issue was that it couldn't compete with the myriad of RPGs on the PlayStation, which I think caused people to judge it rather harshly.

Did you ever try Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage? It was made by the same dev and was like a pseudo-sequel of sorts, having an expanded version of the battle system. It had multiple different party members and you could have three at a time, so it was more engaging. The areas in the game are also huge, it was sort of like the Xenoblade Chronicles of the N64, hee hee. The main issue with the game is that it suffered from a lot of technical problems, which could make it tough to play.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 08:25:39 AM »
The only thing I remember about Turok is the cover story in EGM back in the day for Turok 2: Seeds of Evil. The game’s director/producer, commenting on the new graphics engine, was really proud of Adon’s ass. I’d have to dig out the old magazine (which I’m not going to do). It was something along the lines of, “Check out Adon’s ass. Isn’t that a great ass?”

Granted, it’s tame compared to what we’ve seen since. I still remember thinking, “That’s a weird thing to say,” and just having no interest in playing this game. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:32:06 AM by Adrock »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 08:23:57 PM »
There's no better time to give it a second chance when the remaster hits on Switch.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 02:41:23 PM »
Plus the online for Turok 2 on Steam has online and local multiplayer, so that alone would be worth the cost of admission on Switch.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 05:06:14 PM »
I don't think DooM 64 has ever been re-released, that would probably be another good choice. While they're at it, throw the original DooM onto Switch as well, it would be nice to have a good portable version of that for once.