Author Topic: Games That Retro Studios Should Be Developing for the Wii U  (Read 52627 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Games That Retro Studios Should Be Developing for the Wii U
« Reply #175 on: December 15, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »
Being developed for a HD system, I would really want whoever makes Star Fox for the Wii U to design the Arwings in terms of actual aerospace pyhsics to feel like actual aircraft. Authenticity is what i am getting at.

I don't think you know what your asking for.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 15, 2011, 03:46:12 PM »
another thing to compare starfox to is Diddy Kong Racing vs Mario Kart. Diddy Kong racing has a hub system which mario kart doesn't have and doesn't really need, but it was cool in DKR. In starfox you have this system of selecting levels mario bro 3 style, which was fine back in the day, but I prefer bigger more thought out worlds. Nintendo dropped the hub system in Galaxy 2, but the game was enormous anyhow. I just think some fundamentals of star fox have to change otherwise it will be the same game over and over and over. Its almost a racing game without the racing, so the incentive to keep playing is broken.

heres a scenario
Your on this planet with a massive city, and its rush hour. You have to deliver a package in a certain time limit. You get in your arwing, but theres all these flying cars. This is still on the rabbit planet. So many rabbits. Your going to have to weave through the city and not run into any cars or buildings. You can't fly to a certain altitude because the package will spoil and you got 10 minutes.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 16, 2011, 12:54:09 PM »
I like what Ian had to say about integrating online rail shooters and free range shooters.  Nintendo did that already, but always just as a single level or an end level scenario.  How about having a game that Incorporates both seamlessly and creates multiple instances of it.

One level could be a race to a hidden base...as you go you find out that someone is stalking you or trying to stop you.  This battles starts as an inclusion to the on rails section...but a trap is set against you and you are now in a fight for your life.  You go into a free range battle and as you overcome the battle...you damage your attackers ship...and they begin to flee, into a nearby asteroid field.  You chase after them shifting back into an on rails race through the asteroid system.  The battle ends in a boss fight in traditional Star Fox manner.

that actually sounds like a good idea

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2011, 04:24:56 AM »
Being developed for a HD system, I would really want whoever makes Star Fox for the Wii U to design the Arwings in terms of actual aerospace pyhsics to feel like actual aircraft. Authenticity is what i am getting at.

Why should they be designed like real aircraft? There is no air in space, so there is no point in designing something to be aerodynamic. Whether the Airwings are designed like an F-16 or like a Borg Cube it would make no difference in a vacuum.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2011, 04:33:08 AM »
yes and no, Arwings can fly to and from space, so an Arwing has to be aerodynamic whenever it flies in atmospheres. Although, im not entirely sure if they need the mothership or not to get back and forth.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2011, 04:44:09 PM »

Why should they be designed like real aircraft? There is no air in space, so there is no point in designing something to be aerodynamic. Whether the Airwings are designed like an F-16 or like a Borg Cube it would make no difference in a vacuum.

The US Air Force and NASA are currently working on advanced fighter jets that can reach farther into space. What I was getting at is that there should be a noticable difference between fighting inside and atmospere of a planet and in the vaccum of space. So far, the Star Fox series has not differentiated between the two and there is a noticable difference.

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2011, 05:19:36 PM »
But should their really be that much of a difference? Would being in out space make things go slower? What ever the case if there were differences between land, sea, air and space that felt really unique to each other and at the same time felt good, then ok I say why not.

To me though the cool thing about Star Fx 64 is that you have all those terrains and they more or less feel exactly alike and I like that a lot. Still if things could be better I am open to it. But not to the point that the vehicles need to feel like real life heavy machinery that has a lot of realistic faults that go with it.

If we do get a new Star Fox I will be honest that it is the battle mode that has me most interested. As long as the ships move at a decent speed and the stages aren't so big in height that you can never find anyone I would love 16+ players flying all over the place. Are there any flying games out there with multiplayer like that now? I can't say i've ever really saw one.

RomanceDawn

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2011, 05:37:26 PM »

While I don't really want to indulge KyTim's awful ideas, most of the levels in Star Fox 64 took place within a planet's atmosphere.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2011, 06:35:42 PM »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 17, 2011, 07:41:20 PM »
The incessant need for realism in a game where foxes, birds, rabbits and frogs fly interstellar spaceships and shoot giant masks in the sky is ruining the fond memories that I have with StarFox. Please, I beg you. Make it stop.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2011, 09:01:38 PM »
The incessant need for realism in a game where foxes, birds, rabbits and frogs fly interstellar spaceships and shoot giant masks in the sky is ruining the fond memories that I have with StarFox. Please, I beg you. Make it stop.

What do I hear? You want more? ;D

I just want the gameplay to vary based on the area that the level takes place inat the time.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #187 on: December 17, 2011, 10:42:10 PM »
That's why puppets are the way to go.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 18, 2011, 02:38:33 AM »
the thing you want to change in fighter jets that can go in and out of the sky is air intake, you don't want air intake to go into space. If NASA and USAF can make a craft that can fly out of the planet without the need of a traditional rocket then that will change everything. Yeah though...its a game about anthro animals.

in my starfox parody video i kinda designed the middle ship with air/space flight in mind.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:42:09 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Spenczar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 18, 2011, 02:56:43 AM »
I give them 3 options:

-F-Zero
-StarFox
-New IP

I'd also love to see Retro develop an exclusive first party online FPS for Nintendo. Something the west market would eat up.
3DS friend code: 1418-6713-1779
Message me if you've added me. :]

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 18, 2011, 03:29:27 AM »
See, I seem to be the only one who really doesn't want Retro to make an FPS. The way I see it, they're not going to be able to steal the market away from Call of Duty and Battlefield, and they should both be available on the Wii U now that the hardware is capable. I want Retro to do something nobody else is doing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 18, 2011, 05:20:45 AM »
See, I seem to be the only one who really doesn't want Retro to make an FPS. The way I see it, they're not going to be able to steal the market away from Call of Duty and Battlefield, and they should both be available on the Wii U now that the hardware is capable. I want Retro to do something nobody else is doing.

Stealing the market away from COD would be impossible, if nothing else due to the fact that COD is multiplatform and anything Retro makes would only be confined to Nintendo hardware.

But with that being said, stealing the market away from COD isn't even the point. The point is to counter console exclusive games like HALO and Killzone. The other systems have them, but Nintendo doesn't. This is a major hole in the Nintendo software franchise library that needs to be filled. Killzone and Halo will never beat COD either, because they are console exclusive. But Killzone and Halo still make lots of money, and that's the objective.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 18, 2011, 05:29:41 AM »
Nintendo can make lots of money from Retro in a lot of ways, not just FPSs. I don't think having an exclusive FPS franchise is as big of a deal as having a AAA title from one of the industry's best developers in a genre that's not nearly as saturated.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 18, 2011, 08:16:46 AM »
I just think Nintendo should have its own exclusive FPS franchise because that's the one thing they are lacking. Retro is probably the best studio Nintendo has to pull it off, but they probably have other studios that could do it also. I just think it should be done. Microsoft has Halo and Sony has Killzone, but Nintendo has nothing in this genre.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 18, 2011, 08:44:12 AM »
Nintendo doesn't need to have anything in the genre. Just because Sony and Microsoft have these types of things doesn't mean Nintendo should too. Halo hasn't been a system seller in a long time, and Killzone never was. There are already too many first person shooters out there; we shouldn't waste what may be Nintendo's best development team on an oversaturated genre it has no hope of being a major player in.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 18, 2011, 12:09:20 PM »
Nintendo doesn't need to have anything in the genre. Just because Sony and Microsoft have these types of things doesn't mean Nintendo should too. Halo hasn't been a system seller in a long time, and Killzone never was. There are already too many first person shooters out there; we shouldn't waste what may be Nintendo's best development team on an oversaturated genre it has no hope of being a major player in.

By that logic Nintendo should never have released the NES, because the market was already oversaturated with the likes of Atari and Colecovision and so on.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 18, 2011, 03:20:04 PM »
because Space Invaders and Pitfall are the number one best selling and most beloved franchises of all time.....

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 18, 2011, 05:14:57 PM »
because Space Invaders and Pitfall are the number one best selling and most beloved franchises of all time.....

At that time they were. Mario Bros. shattered that, though. Nintendo changed things then and shook things up. If they bring to the table their own Nintendo FPS franchise they could shake things up yet again.  It would be hobbled by the fact that it wouldn't be multiplatform, but hell Mario bros. was confined to a single console and that didn't stop it from dominating.
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #198 on: December 18, 2011, 06:09:56 PM »
Nintendo shook things up by actually creating a brand new experience.

Now, it is harder to shake up the industry.  Most things in specific genres are being done already.  Stealth FPS.  Check, start action FPS check, Single player driven FPS check, Multiple player only FPS check, Any theme you can think of, western, space, war, fantasy...check.  There aren't many ways to shake up the FPS market.

Could Nintendo make a great FPS game Yes.  Are there a few areas not yet explored with the FPS market...yes.  But I dunno how marketable they are.  I have my idea for the next big online game series, but it will have to wait...because I have nobody to share and work on the idea with....

Anyway, that was a totally different time period...and for the record the original Mario Bros...wasn't on a single console, it was on many, Atari, NES, Computer, Commodore 64 ect...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #199 on: December 18, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »
I assume Chozo meant Super Mario Bros.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20