Author Topic: Episode 150: Memory Unbound  (Read 12570 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 150: Memory Unbound
« on: June 21, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »

It's a celebration, bitches!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/18904/episode-150-memory-unbound

Jonny is back from the big festival in the sky, and he brought Karl with him for this special episode, celebrating three years of Radio Free Nintendo. It starts off with a beefy New Business covering such games as Deadly Creatures, Resident Evil 5, Virtual On, Space Harrier, Final Fantasy 4: The After Years, and much more. Greg also got a chance to play Nintendo's E3 demos in a special London event, so he shares thoughts on Sin & Punishment 2, Wii Sports Resort, etc.

Things really get rolling in part two, as Greg has lined up an extensive set of clips from old episodes. With James acting as DJ, we all hear the clips and react spontaneously, resulting in a lot of great discussions about our favorite and most embarrassing moments on the podcast. It's a very funny segment with loads of great moments from the past, including our individual debuts on the show and some awkward and/or legendary moments from the early days of the current RFN crew.

Credits:

This podcast was edited by Greg Leahy.

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can purchase their newest album, Done with the Devil, directly from the record label, Amazon.com, or iTunes, or call your local record store and ask for it!

Additional music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is copyrighted to Nintendo and Sega, and is included under fair use protection.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 150
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 08:16:32 PM »
I love Sunday.... A RFN and a day to do nothing!
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:21:05 PM »
I can't wait to hear how this turned out... the format of the second half must have made Greg's editing even more arduous than normal. Hopefully my audio needed less doctoring, as I made an adjustment to reduce the distortion/noise in my recording.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:42:10 PM »
For the record, my voice was pretty much shot due to a bad cold. But a super fun episode to record, regardless.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 09:05:53 PM »
on a bright note, i beat Cho Aniki as I listened to RFN 150 :-)

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 09:42:07 PM »
Do commercials again! I LOVED them!
~David~

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 09:49:02 PM »
**** yeah, it is embarrassing how excited I got while downloading this little minx...

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 12:01:53 AM »
Don't worry kraken, that discussion got my cogs turning once again. I just had a very long drive and used my handy voice recorder to sketch out a new commercial. I don't want to spoil it too much, but maybe the Professor could give you a hint.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Skeeter8887

• Staff Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Video Game Coulture
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 06:02:53 AM »
I love RFN. Good times.
Chuck Jose
Staff Writer
Nintendo World Report

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 06:40:21 AM »
The concept of Deadly Creatures has interested me since it launched, but I just don't see it worth $50 right now when there are so many other games vying for my attention.  Maybe when the price drops...

As for the whole "Episode 150"-thing, not enough 103.  Could have done with more [deep voice] Lords of Thunder [/deep voice] and Cho Aniki as well.   ;)How is that Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn review coming, Lindy?  Oh, right...you already sold your copy off.    :P
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 08:37:39 AM »
I'm only like 15 minutes in, but I'm already adding Deadly Creatures to my Goozex queue.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 09:31:33 AM »
James' Disaster segment is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard in any podcast.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 09:33:20 AM »
Great episode guys, you picked James' best rants, I loved the golf game diatribes last year and the Disaster skit, definitely I remember that time last year there were great highpoints in episode 100 and 103, then there was E3 which slightly put me off the podcast due to all the slightly tiresome angst and confusion over Nintendo's showing, and it felt a bit tired for a while, but then I distinctly remember there being a big bounce back in August and the podcast once again became compulsory listening. I had a lot of good laughs at James' Angry-Videogame-Nerd-esque rants (coincidence that both are called James?) and I'm definitely going to go back and listen to some of those again. It was especially great reliving the Disaster skit, I listened to that repeatedly back when and it's still as funny as ever as evidenced by the ever growing pee stain on my trousers.

Anyway, cheers for all the hard work guys, definitely agree with you Jonny that the Retroactive stuff has been a success, I love Retronauts too (Jenn Frank is the total star of the show for me though I gotta admit) and there's definitely some of that spirit there so congrats on the achievement.

Quite jealous of Greg by the way, next time there's a spare ticket for a special free event in a hotel overlooking Piccadilly Circus if you wouldn't mind inviting me I'd be only too happy (of course if I don't have money on my oyster then you're out of luck buddy).

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 10:58:37 AM »
Man, I haven't heard Mike Sklens voice in so long I didn't even recognize it.  That was such a good lineup.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 11:49:05 AM »
Is there any list of the episodes discussed in these shows so I can revisit them without relistening to 150 and jotting them down?

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »
Man, I haven't heard Mike Sklens voice in so long I didn't even recognize it.  That was such a good lineup.
You might be hearing it sooner than you thinik...
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 11:57:07 AM »
Brilliant.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 12:02:28 PM »
lol @ bearorist.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 12:22:17 PM »
Finally finished the episode.  The stinger on the end felt oddly poignant, and I suddenly began to think of how many hours of my life I have spent listening to Radio Free Nintendo.  I think I've been a regular listener since somewhere in the 50s, so that's about 100 episodes averaging 90 minutes or so I'd say.  That's 150 hours of my life, equaling 6 days, 6 hours of listening to Sweet Pete, Incorrect Wii Launch Supply Projections, Cho Aniki Descriptions, Florida State Seminoles Discussion, Metroid Prime analysis, Self Congratulation, and James Jones being mad at something.

Cheers, keep up the good work.

EDIT:
Re-listening to episode 52 now and realizing that I'd already been listening for awhile by then so I've been listening even longer than I'd thought.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 01:28:53 PM by DrewMG »

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 01:48:56 PM »
Very nice reminiscing over all the RFN episodes. I listen while at work and as usual it's made my morning very nice. I'm not sure what episode was my first, but I remember backtracking to older episodes and perhaps actually listened to most of them to hear perspectives on older titles.
James' golf freak out is a great memory- as much as the weeks he spent playing Mystery Dungeon titles.
This past weekend I also popped in Deadly Creatures, I've resolved to finish the game this week. It's one of those games I've had for months and just found myself getting back into- a nice choice indeed.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 01:50:11 PM »
Upon going back, I realized that the episode I recorded at Lindy's house wasn't in the 40s - it was Episode 65: Auteur Theory, in which Evan and I argued about "art," everyone argued with me over whether Shiek is a dude (it's not a real person, merely a "persona," and that persona is a he, so there), etc. Good ep.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 01:52:53 PM »
How long has it been since Evan was on the show?  It doesn't seem like that long, and I know he's been on at least once with the current lineup.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 03:14:15 PM »
Here is the list of clips used in the order they were played during the show.

1-Jonny's first appearance (Ep5)
2-Rickroll'd (Ep54)
3-Karl and Ty (Ep53)
4-Greg's first appearance (Ep78)
5-Karl hands over the reins (Ep80)
6-Jon's first appearance (Ep12)
7-James hates Ubisoft (Ep106)
8-James hates King of Clubs (Ep112)
9-Target Terror (Ep90)
10-Cho Aniki (Ep99)
11-Jonny bashing (Ep106)
12-The origin of Sweet Pete (Ep103)
13-The bitter end (Ep103)
14-Disaster (Ep126)
15-NWR Chat (Ep105)
16-Billy at NCL (Ep136)

If I recall correctly, the last time Evan appeared on RFN was the Ocarina 10th Anniversary special, which was back at the end of November last year. We tried to record an episode with Evan before that one, but it was beset with technical problems, and we haven't recorded with him since.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 08:34:56 PM »
I am re-listening to 103.....  :o

WTF! I don't know if I can listen to RFN again.....
~David~

Offline grantimus

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
    • Operation Rainfall
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 08:38:17 PM »
Just listened to this episode today whilst at work.  Great show guys!  I've been listening for maybe a year, so the old clips were good and fun to listen to.  LMAO @ Bearorist, romantic E3 dinners, "I can really let loose, let me tell you about Godzeera," etc.  You guys seem like you've settled in nicely, and are more relaxed and on topic and funny because of it. 

Oh, and I'm new, welcome me!
Now Playing: Mega Man 3, Mario & Luigi Partners in Time
Go Cardinals!
Nintendo is my girlfriend, except for my real girlfriend