Author Topic: PBS special "Video Game Revolution"  (Read 7362 times)

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
PBS special "Video Game Revolution"
« on: September 08, 2004, 12:57:43 AM »
www.pbs.org

2 hour show about Video game history!  Start time Wednesday(Today) exact hour listed on link.  If someone has already mentioned this then sorry i just read it and thought to post.

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:PBS special "Video Game Revolution"
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 03:51:41 AM »
Looks very interesting. I hope I can remember that it's on tonight.  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: PBS special "Video Game Revolution"
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 09:02:14 AM »
Ya, I'm gonna watch this for sure.  I'm glad I not working tonight otherwise I wouldn't be able to.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 10:43:43 AM »
I have DISH network so I can confirm that EST it will be from  9PM through 10:30 PM.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 06:37:14 PM »
Damn it! I missed the stupid thing. I chose to watch the Real World instead. Because, you know, a half dozen drunk sluts and whiney metrosexuals are SO much more interesting than video game documentaries.

Eh, I'll just catch the repeat at like two in the morning...not like I'm doing anything else.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 06:42:37 PM »
If I can get it off the internet, I'll share it

ON THE HUB FOR COOL PEOPLE ONLY!

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 07:45:04 PM »
One part I would dispute is the whole Lara Croft was the first female game heroine. I mean come on Samus had 3 games before Lara was even made.

Overall, although I didn't agree with a lot of who they talked to.  I mean their choices for interview.

Although I did like the GTA/Birth of a Nation analogy.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 08:37:14 PM »
"One part I would dispute is the whole Lara Croft was the first female game heroine. I mean come on Samus had 3 games before Lara was even made."

What about Ms. Pac-Man?  I mean f*ck that's like the most successful arcade game ever.

Memo to stupid people:  Lara Croft is nothing.  NOTHING!  She's just some flash in the fan chick who was popular for like a year.  She's the Bananarama of videogames.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 09:02:24 PM »
It was a lot of fun to watch whenever that lady from "WE HAET VIOLENCE" or whatever came on and said she didn't allow her son to play Doom or whatever, and I would yell "MORE LIKE CUT OFF HIS BALLS!"

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 09:35:46 PM »
I would have done the thing a little differently in the people I chose to interview.

I would have had more Shigeru Miyamoto.
I would have had people from Activision talk about what it was like to be the first third party.
I would have had Trip Hawkins to talk about the business side, and of course to make sure he says nothing about 3DO.
Will Wright, Check.  Sid Meier, Check.  John Carmack, Sure.  John Romero?  Probably not, but I would try to get him.
If you are gonna bring up Sonic and his impact, Bring up Yuji Naka.
If you are not going to bring up Crash or Spyro or Jak and Daxter and their impact, do NOT talk with neither Jason Rubin nor Naughty Dog for their opinions on their competitiors work.

And then fill out the rest with the usual loser pundits and MMORPG phreeks.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 09:43:20 PM »
I thought it was okay, cept for the lack of shiggy and the wrong info bout the snes and genesis stuff.  Oh and the almost complete missing of Samus.  There was a clip or two of Prime and Super Metroid and thats about it.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 10:15:51 PM »
That's what you get with "public" broadcasting.  If it were me, I'd have a communist video-game-media empire -nya.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 07:43:18 AM »
Didn't catch it, since I'm getting ready to go camping, but I wish I had recorded it!  Oh well.  I think Lara Croft deserves a place (even if it's one of contempt) in the videogame industry.  She did a lot to thrust videogames into the realm of mainstream media.  The fact that she's a bit of a flash in the pan and stars in anything but a classic gaming series doesn't change that.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 07:45:03 AM »
If she's the one who "thrusted" videogames into mainstream media, then that girl needs to be hung!  But why am I complaining..I didn't watch the show...so  
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 09:17:18 AM »
"She did a lot to thrust videogames into the realm of mainstream media."

And Sony trained gamers to hate 2D games and regard anything with colour or non-realistic visuals as kiddy.  Should we praise them for that?

Lara Croft has a place in the industry like a tumour has a place in your brain.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 09:31:34 AM »
Excellently said, Ian.

As for me, I didn't watch this, nor am I really interested in it.  Anything on television about video games, some commercials aside, can't be good news.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2004, 05:46:44 PM »
Tomb Raider 1 was a great game, and one of the first great 3d action games.  It's too bad it all went downhill after that.  I support videogames getting into mainstream media because it generates more interest in games and gets more players, but there really has to be a change because the people who get the rights to the games for say stuff like movies, destroy them, cmon what the hell were they thinking with Resident Evil 2 Apocalypse, WTF IS THAT CRAP!?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2004, 06:43:49 PM »
That movie can also be considered "Dawn-of-the-Bionic-Biohazardous-Milla-Enter-The-Matrix-of-The-Dead Part II: the Beginning." -nya

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2004, 06:56:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"She did a lot to thrust videogames into the realm of mainstream media."

And Sony trained gamers to hate 2D games and regard anything with colour or non-realistic visuals as kiddy.  Should we praise them for that?

Lara Croft has a place in the industry like a tumour has a place in your brain.

I never said that we should praise Lara Croft, I said that she's earned a place in the industry, or maybe I should say videogame history.  There are no doubt people that curse Star Wars for ever being made, but it doesn't change the fact that that particular movie had a major impact on the film industry.  William Shakespeare was seen as a trashy writer in his day, along the lines of Trey Parker and Matt Stone or the Farrelly Brothers today.

By the same token, we consider ourselves coinneseurs of videogames, but just as the masses had the final say in the enduring popularity of Star Wars and Billy Shakespeare, our favourite medium is going mainstream, and we aren't in control of what's cool anymore.  So maybe what I'm saying is that Lara Croft doesn't deserve a place in videogame history but she's going to get one anyway.  And in a sense, I think she does deserve it, because she definitely is one of the forerunners of the mainstream videogame media, for better or for worse.  

Maybe thirty years from now the videogame-developing equivalent of Quentin Tarrantino will say, "I made this game based on those trashy Tomb Raider games I played when I was a kid." and everyone will marvel at the work of art he or she has made, and we'll realize that Lara Croft is an important part of videogame history, even though she's not a good part.

My personal picks would be Ms. Pac-Man and Chun-Li for credit as pioneering heroines in the videogame industry.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2004, 11:19:22 AM »
yeah i would have to say that Samus Aran and Chun Li were the first 2 real big female characters that could kick ass!

wow i just got a flashback of those days!  I could kick anyones ass with Chun Li, I would say that is one of my favorite moments in gaming!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2004, 01:43:12 PM »
Peachy in Mario2 kicked ass.  And took it in th WHA

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2004, 08:10:11 PM »
I only caught about the last hour or so of the show, but from what I saw Miyamoto said like one sentence, while Jason Rubin said a whole lot more.

The amount of air-time for each interviewee should've been based on how much influence that person has had on the industry. In other words, the amount of time Miyamoto and Rubin spoke should've been reversed.

At least it wasn't completely shockingly ignorant like most attempts at covering videogames from the mainstream.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2004, 02:55:55 PM »
im gonna do a special exclusively on nintendo...yeah that would kick ass
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post