Author Topic: Dimensions?  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Dimensions?
« on: July 28, 2004, 10:36:03 AM »
The new DS looks really cool, and now that it is finalized, I was wondering if anybody could tell me the exact dimensions of the system, or at least give me an idea of how big it will be.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
RE: Dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 10:58:01 AM »
In the latest and most hated as of late issue of EGM the Nintendo Bashers, they have a "lifesize" pic of the old one.  I'm sure next months will include the new DS.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 01:32:20 PM »
Dedede points out a good reference. Even if you do have that handy however, remember that this new DS redesign is not as deep (its actually quite a bit thinner) and that the length of it is roughly unchanged.
About the size of a Gameboy Advance Old Skool style, I would say, but a little taller, and oppositely concave due to the smaller top portion of the unit.  

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 06:20:48 PM »
If my calculations are correct [they're likely as off as the DS's angle in the picture] it's about 5.85 inches wide and 1.75 inches thick. The width should be pretty much dead on, and that thickness is a maximum figure; it ought to be between 1.5/1.75 anyway. It still isn't close to the 1" mark of the SP.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 08:10:36 PM »
I almost choked on my water when I read the 1.75 approximation!
That'll leave stretch marks in my pocket...but no, assuming the top half is roughly equivalent to the half inch of the SP's display....looking at the picture, the base does indeed look near twice the thickness of the top half. So, 1.5 inches.

Wow, what the hell was the point of this post if I just repeated the results of the previous?
Oh well, faster to hit send then delete all that.

IGoToMyCornerNow.

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 11:56:30 AM »
I don't know why I didn't think to use the headphone jack as a reference before. But that puts the DS at 1" thick. Does anyone else want to confirm this?
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 03:56:03 PM »
I actually think the 1 inch estimate is pretty damn close....the problem is, the angle of the (single) closed screenshot provided is all sorts of misleading.

Actually grabbing my GBA SP this time, I look at the back and approximate the diameter of a headphone jack (its actually not too far off from the ports back there). Glancing back at this lovely high-res screenshot of the DS SE (Sex Edition) I am thinking the bottom half is just a bit taller than the SP's bottom half. The top half of the DS SE however, using your idea for the headphone jack as reference, DOES look about the thickness of the SP's top half (with more rounded edges).

I would definitely say it appears thicker than the SP....but really not by much. 1.15" - 1.25" range is looking very reasonable right about now.

Good observation.  

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 04:49:35 PM »
Approximate? I guess you didn't spend $7 at Circuit City for an adapter and the worst buds ever. :¬]

Looking at the SP with the adapter, it does seem to be the same size. Just over 1" sounds right. Which would make it officially pocketable, even it it's a little long. SE indeed.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 05:16:13 PM »
wow renny, good Idea using the headphone jack as a reference, I would not have thought about that, and now that I am looking at it, a little over an inch sounds like a good estimate.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
RE:Dimensions?
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 07:45:14 PM »

Originally posted by: Renny
Approximate? I guess you didn't spend $7 at Circuit City for an adapter and the worst buds ever. :¬]

Looking at the SP with the adapter, it does seem to be the same size. Just over 1" sounds right. Which would make it officially pocketable, even it it's a little long. SE indeed.

Oh ho! But I did!!
Pelican brand buds with adaptor, my local PX: $5. You?

I could juuuuust pull off the original GBA in most of my pants pockets (I dont really wear baggy anymore, so normal pockets). With an impressive bulge of course. The DS SE does indeed seem to be about that length, but likely a little longer.

One thing I worry about when it comes to pocketability is that oh-so shiny, glossy finish....I'm just having waking nightmares of all the scratches thats going to find their way onto that sleek finish  
I had the same dread when looking at the PSPs shiny black plastic finish...shiny, smudgy and scratch-happy.
Not too many others in this forum have stressed that concern however. Most of us are likely (understandably) still in the 'honeymoon phase' with this SE.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 08:21:56 PM »
heh, I wear a leather jacket, so I can still keep this puppy in the inside pocket like they did at the press conference -- So many people were pulling them out, you just wanted to tackle a random Nintendo exec and try to get one.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 10:02:41 PM »
"I'm just having waking nightmares of all the scratches thats going to find their way onto that sleek finish "

At least it isn't the screen.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
RE:Dimensions?
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 04:39:28 PM »

heh, I wear a leather jacket, so I can still keep this puppy in the inside pocket like they did at the press conference -- So many people were pulling them out, you just wanted to tackle a random Nintendo exec and try to get one.

I'm definitely feelin' that sentiment...

At least it isn't the screen.

And I'm feelin' that too.

Looking over the pics again, Im actually starting to think the DS SE is composed of the same plastic casing used for the SP....rendering my phear on the matter moot.
W00T.