Author Topic: Metal Gear 1&2 for NES  (Read 3961 times)

Offline jime

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Metal Gear 1&2 for NES
« on: February 08, 2004, 03:04:12 AM »
I was looking around on ebay and this guy was selling metal gear and metal gear 2 snakes revenge. i didnt know they were previously made for nintendo.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Metal Gear 1&2 for NES
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 04:13:12 AM »
Well, Metal Gear (like Wolfenstein) started out as a 2D game, but only the 3D versions are known among younger gamers.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 04:41:38 AM »
Did you know a lot of series originally started on Nintendo systems?  Like Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, and Castlevania...Times change...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Metal Gear 1&2 for NES
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 06:25:01 AM »
Everything basically started on the NES.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 10:53:40 AM »

I want to send all of the major oldschool developers out there those shirts you can find at hot topic with the original nes controller on them and

"Know Your Roots"

underneath it. Then a note from me saying, "That's right you $#@&*!!!!!! Now get to work!"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 11:27:41 AM »

I want to send all of the major oldschool developers out there those shirts you can find at hot topic with the original nes controller on them and

"Know Your Roots"

I own that shirt, and proudly display it.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 03:54:42 PM »

I own that shirt, and proudly display it.

Same here. I'm thinking about getting a few more just incase I ruin it.  
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 06:40:34 PM »
I think Nintendo could learn something from Metal Gear as a franchise - a new or just pseudo-new (like MGS) series can reap some big bucks, instead of just the same game series every generation. If only the NES crew is familiar with it, it's a good way to spark up a bit of interest to start. This is just my theory, now, but I think it's valid.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 07:50:05 PM »
Send that "know your roots" thingie to Factor 5, but put an Amiga or C64 logo on it.

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 09:32:09 PM »
Exactly S-U-P-E-R, that's why Square Enix should remake Chrono Trigger. Right now. Seriously, anybody who's played it on the SNES (and therefore experienced it's brilliance) would happily gobble it up. New gamers who no nothing of it would get to play the best RPG ever.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 07:02:49 AM »
"I think Nintendo could learn something from Metal Gear as a franchise - a new or just pseudo-new (like MGS) series can reap some big bucks, instead of just the same game series every generation."

Actually they kind of did do that with Metroid Prime.  That's pretty much a brand new series that uses an old franchise.  Anyway it does sound like a solid theory to me.  The only problem I see with it is that Nintendo doesn't really have too many old series to resurrect.  Kid Icarus is pretty much it and I can't see that working in 3D too well.  Maybe Star Tropics would work but that is very similar to Zelda.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 01:33:47 PM »
"know your roots" wouldnt go down well in aus, cause root also means something else in slang here

Offline Actraiser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 05:49:11 PM »
I love how people act like the NES created the home gaming craze.  the Atari 2600 was a household name long before big N came along.  THAT'S your roots.  I do love that shirt, though.

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2004, 06:48:42 PM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R
I think Nintendo could learn something from Metal Gear as a franchise - a new or just pseudo-new (like MGS) series can reap some big bucks, instead of just the same game series every generation. If only the NES crew is familiar with it, it's a good way to spark up a bit of interest to start. This is just my theory, now, but I think it's valid.

the only problem is it seems all development houses Nintendo has in Japan will not touch an M rated game. I think nintendo needs to look to purchase a new second party(maybe N-space if Geist is up to par). It would help them on so many more fronts, by showing the industry that they can make M games sell on their system and that they are targeting the auidence that Xbox and PS2 have.

By doing so, third party games come more often and sell better.

O, and I can't wait for both metal gear games along with the talked about MGSnline game. I think if Syphon Filter works out well, Kojima may end up working on the game even though he said MGS3 was his last.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2004, 01:22:56 AM »

I love how people act like the NES created the home gaming craze. the Atari 2600 was a household name long before big N came along. THAT'S your roots. I do love that shirt, though.

Technically, yes.  But in all reality, Atari also ruined the console industry, along with the rest of the consoles(Coleco,Intelli,) When Nintendo came along, thats when my obsession began.  Hence, my 'roots'.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2004, 04:15:08 AM »
" Atari also ruined the console industry, along with the rest of the consoles(Coleco,Intelli,) "

How can you honestly say that? They were revolutionary and did as much, if not more for gaming as a medium, than Nintendo did.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2004, 06:33:25 AM »
I will give Atari all the credit in the world for essentially starting the arcade game market and thus the videogame market as a whole.  But I find their contribution to home consoles is overrated, at least from a software point of view.  Nearly all Atari's best 2600 games are arcade ports.  Adventure and Yar's Revenge are like the only Atari games (not including Activision's stuff) I can think of that were both quite good and were not arcade ports.

Before the NES consoles tended to exist more for the purpose of playing arcade games at home.  With the NES Nintendo focused more on creating original console games and thus home console gaming was regarded as quite different from arcade gaming.  Arcade ports still existed (and still do today) but were not the real draw of the console.  Plus the whole concept of developers paying licensing fees was introduced by Nintendo and that model still exists today.

The console model that Atari introduced crashed and burned in 1985.  The console model Nintendo introduced still exists today.  Thus today's consoles have more in common with the NES than the Atari 2600 and that's why Nintendo gets more credit.  Atari created the industry but Nintendo perfected it.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2004, 08:07:50 AM »

How can you honestly say that? They were revolutionary and did as much, if not more for gaming as a medium, than Nintendo did.

Most of my memories are NES related from back then.  I have some combat/adventure memories, and some more Coleco memories,  but the Nintendo games had far more an effect on me.  So, in conclusion, while Atari were 'revolutionary', as you put it, my statement wasn't about who was first, or who started what, it was about the 'Know your roots ' tee shirt.  Therefore, knowing my gaming roots is knowing the NES was what got me hooked, and 'rooted' me in gaming forever..

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2004, 09:55:01 AM »
"But I find their contribution to home consoles is overrated, at least from a software point of view. Nearly all Atari's best 2600 games are arcade ports. Adventure and Yar's Revenge are like the only Atari games (not including Activision's stuff) I can think of that were both quite good and were not arcade ports."

You need to remeber, that back in those days (my days) arcades were the big thing. To be able to play "arcade" games at home was the biggest thrill in the world. No body wanted games that werent in the arcades.  Add in the fact that development houses were kind of scarce , and the need for original console only games wasnt really needed.

What Atari did, IMO, that was so amazing, was that they, with one machine, made kids stay home. Nothing since the TV itself had accomplished that feat.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Actraiser

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2004, 05:01:28 PM »
"Adventure and Yar's Revenge are like the only Atari games (not including Activision's stuff) I can think of that were both quite good and were not arcade ports."

I point you to the entire Activision catalog on the 2600.  Also, as someone else said, back in those days, arcades were a bigger deal than they are now.  Arcades were where all the great games started out, back then.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2004, 05:54:06 PM »

I point you to the entire Activision catalog on the 2600.

I believe (and your own quote attests to this) he made a point to say "Not including Activision's stuff".  
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2004, 07:01:19 AM »
Sorry to raise a zombie thread, but I just wanted to point out that Metal Gear was originally on the MSX, not the NES, and that it was a far better version also (decent colours, and no stupid jungle section at the beginning). Secondly, Snake's Revenge is not a true sequel. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is the true sequel to Metal Gear.
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2004, 08:04:20 PM »
I owned Metal Gear for the NES and loved it so much I got Metal Gear 2: Snakes Revenge the day it came out.  Although it's not a "true sequel" they say that because of the story, everything else about the game was a direct sequel of MG1.  I have to say though that it was my biggest disappointment for NES because my expectations were huge and for some reason when I correctly entered my passwords none of the items I had gathered were there when it loaded up.  So basically it was like trying to play through MG without dying once your very first time throughout the whole game, being young I could not do that.

As for the Atari thing, well they did prove home gaming could be viable and arcade games were where new development was always concentrated back then.  Both Atari and Nintendo are responsible for "roots".  Without Atari the Nintendo may have never been released.  While Nintendo made home games much better than what they ever were thought capable of being.