Author Topic: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 13: Not Knowingly Out-Snarked  (Read 1461 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Nintendo Free Radio Episode 13: Not Knowingly Out-Snarked
« on: March 15, 2013, 01:05:33 AM »
You want us to talk about used games when Iwata's going on camera with a Luigi hat on?

Download Link

The best laid plans of mice and men have led to the 13th episode of Nintendo Free Radio. Donald opens New Business with his own The Last Story impressions. No bananas were used, but it's the closest thing  you'll get to a Final Fantasy in "HD" for a while. Next, the long string of questionably-legal fan remakes of Nintendo properties in Canada continues with the free-to-play rhythm game OSU! (relax folks, we're running out of Killer Instinct combo descriptors) before Donald wraps with the game Halbred was created for, Atlus's 3DS brawler Code of Princess. Stephen takes over with an extended look at the PS3's biggest exclusive JRPG in a long time, the controversial (in more ways than one) Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, before Austen wraps with Ubisoft's other late 2012 FPS Far Cry 3 and the final version of Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time. Beware the figure skating bearrorists from the 'Hood. No, we're not making that last part up.

Since there's actual content to talk about, Now Posted returns from a brief hiatus leading into Whatcha Watchin'. Donald has an actual GOOD network comedy to talk about as he attends the most messed-up school Netflix has to offer (Community), while Stephen gets a little political with House of Cards and a Star Trek: The Next Generation update. Austen is, as usual, animate-y and totally insane-y with the LONG-awaited Animaniacs v. 4 and Duck Tales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp DVDs.

The original plan for the week's Feature Discussion was some waffling about what would happen with  used games on the PS4 and whatever-the-next-Xbox-is, but then Nintendo launched a blue shell into those plans with the 3DS Nintendo Direct. Needless to say, this could not go by without discussion. Are you ready to hear us wax on about the "Ear of Weegee"? After that, jump back in time to the Mushrooms for an extended discussion of the Rayman Legends delay (this was before the April demo was announced), as well as congratulations to a couple of groups that don't always get love from the panel.

We'd love to hear some feedback, so don't be afraid to send us an email at nintendofreeradio@gmail.com or leave a comment on the Talkback!

Editor's Note: Our apologies for the notable delay in this episode's release. We ran into some unavoidable issues in the editing process, but hey would you expect anything less of a 13th episode?  We hope you enjoy it regardless, as well as the other NFR episode currently in the same pipeline that we hope to release in the near future. :D
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 13: Not Knowingly Out-Snarked
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 10:38:21 AM »
Hey! My crossover thread and myself got mentioned twice. I feel famous now.

On Dark Knight Returns movies -- they're very faithful adaptation and that's what sucks about them. First part has some great 80s electronic music, second part has great action, but everything else just makes me go "why?" just like i did when i read the books. That's beside the fact Superman's depiction in the books makes me mad as superman fan, but that's subjective.

Just watch "Wonder Woman" or "Year One" if you insist on getting your Miller dose.

Injustice on Wii U looks really tempting. Two "but"s though:

1. All that DLC characters camaraderie is spooking me off
2. Plot while expected to be good by fighting games standards (i also love MK9 and it's story mode) re-uses "evil superman vs good batman" of which i'm grown sick and tired by now. Also some of the backstory they have in special comics that ties to the game has Supes killing Lois by his own hands under the influence of Joker's gas. Oh and she was pregnant with his child at the time. This kinda stuff just makes me NOPE.

Game itself looks very good though.

Oh and i feel you about Gargoyles DVD. And if you think Disney 90's afternoon cartoon shows had it bad, look at Disney's 00's afternoon cartoon shows: Dave Barbarian, Weekenders, Fillmore and other stuff. Not a single DVD release. Oh and i'd like season 2 boxset of Spectacular Spider-Man please.

PS While checking, apparently they DID release Weekenders DVD! It's all sold out now, but life will find a way.

PPS Some awkward pauses in the beginning of the podcast.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 13: Not Knowingly Out-Snarked
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »
Just watch "Wonder Woman" or "Year One" if you insist on getting your Miller dose.

I liked that Wonder Woman movie in general, but Batman: Year One can **** off IMO. I was so profoundly bored by that film's utter lack of anything approaching life, not to mention the Miller-isms like Selina Kyle turned into a prostitute because...Frank Miller.

Also some of the backstory they have in special comics that ties to the game has Supes killing Lois by his own hands under the influence of Joker's gas. Oh and she was pregnant with his child at the time. This kinda stuff just makes me NOPE.

*sigh* WHAT?! That's exactly the kind of mean-spiritedness that bugged me in the Dark Knight Returns films. Just...why would you do that (and especially why would you do that in a tie-in comic rather than the game itself where you need the drama the most)?

Oh and i'd like season 2 boxset of Spectacular Spider-Man please.

As would I, along w/ a boxset of the complete Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes series (which, like Spectacular Spider-Man, was also killed off by Disney to make what will likely be an incredibly inferior product).

Seriously, don't get me started on how bad Ultimate Spider-Man is and what an insult to its original comics it is.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.