Author Topic: Top Ten Title Screens  (Read 4582 times)

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Top Ten Title Screens
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:18:02 AM »
The title sequence is an oft under-appreciated art. Rather than merely being a means of presenting a game's title and developer, title screens can utilise visuals and audio to do a number of different things. Some title screens are designed simply to set the tone of a game, some are more narrative driven, while others act as a form of tutorial devised to impart how the game is played.

They also have the potential to colour our opinion of the game itself. First impressions are everything, and the title screen, as the gateway to the game itself, will usually be the first element that we are introduced to. It is for that reason that games which effectively convey their mood and tone from the outset will be remembered all the more fondly for it.

The following are my Top Ten Title Sequences.

10 – Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

I've always appreciated the amount of work that Retro Studios (and in particular Kenji Yamamoto as composer) put into the Metroid Prime title sequences. What makes Echoes the most successful of the bunch, however, is that it plays on your experience and knowledge of the Metroid series, utilising sounds and images which are evocative of the Metroid creatures, which gives the whole opening a heavy tension. Only later does the player realise that the creatures they're seeing in the title sequence are not in fact Metroid, but rather the deadly Ing. Also, how frigging cool does the Metroid Prime logo look in black?

9 – Mario Paint

The only truly interactive title screen on the list, Mario Paint's opening is almost a game in itself. Introducing the cursor controls right from the beginning was a great idea, and allowed players to become familiar with controls before they even really started the game. It also doesn’t hurt that the music is catchy and you can make Mario do some pretty funny stuff. Just make sure you don't click on the falling star.

8 – Super Mario Bros 3. (All-Stars Edition)

Perhaps one of the most recognisable locales in gaming, the Super Mario Bros. 3 title screen, with it's red curtains and black and white tiled floor, has been burnt into a whole generations subconscious. Taking the character select screen from Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) and expanding upon it, the Bros. 3 title shows Mario's universe to be not so much a self-contained world as it is an elaborate stage show. It also does a great job of teaching the basics of the game, showing how to jump on enemies, how to use the Raccoon tail and of course how to kick a shell. In retrospect, watching the sequence with Mario and Luigi gives credence to Miyamoto's recent claim that he had tried to include simultaneous co-op long before NSMB Wii.

7 - Xenoblade Chronicles

Sometimes I would simply not start the game just so I could hear more Piano. Xenoblade's title sequence tells you quite alot about the game itself. It's emotional, overwrought even, but also manages to be epic and pretty at the same time.

6 – Secret of Mana

Right from the beginning you know that this game is going to be special. The first thing that you hear is a beautifully digitized whale song, followed by the gut wrenchingly pretty title theme composed by Hiroki Kikuta. We then see our main heroes standing in awe at the foot of the Mana Tree as flamingo-like birds fly overhead. It's a title screen which for some may be a little too poetic or pretentious, but most Secret of Mana fans will agree that it does a great job of setting the mood for the adventure which is to follow.

5 – Super Castlevania 4

Much as with the previous choice, this is another title sequence which I feel sets the tone of the game perfectly. The brooding music of course brings alot to the sequence, but so too does the attention to detail in the animation. As the camera pans up we see creatures and insects crawling from the Castle's very walls and for a brief moment glimpse the shadows of Dracula's minions on it's surface. It's a great scene which tells you everything you need to know about Castlevania.

4 – Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Opening upon Majora's Mask in the shadows was inspired. It tells you straight away that this is not Ocarina of Time: Part 2. Instead of being introduced to something familiar we're presented with this frightening and alien mask, followed by the ominous laughter of the Happy Mask Salesman. Much like the game itself, this has no context. We then see Link seemingly in several places at once, quietly observing the residents of Clock Town going about their daily routine, perhaps a subtle nod towards the games time-travel mechanic. Meanwhile, as the townsfolk sleep, Skull Kid, Majora's Mask and their celestial stooge conspire to destroy the world of Termina. It's an incredibly eerie opening, but one which fits the games subject matter.

3 – Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Everyone loves the Ocarina of Time title sequence, right? Well, this is like that, but better. Much as the title sequence from Ocarina of Time focused on showing off just how big Hyrule Field was, Twilight Princess revels in showing off Hyrule's breathtaking vistas. As Epona gallops faster and faster the camera eventually falls behind. When it does catch up neither Link nor Epona are anywhere to be seen, replaced by a solitary wolf howling at the setting sun. Having waited for this game for so long, seeing these images over Koji Kondo's sombre but beautiful score really brought it home. The Legend of Zelda was back.

2 – Mega Man 2

As we have seen with Secret of Mana and Twilight Princess, some title sequences have the potential to be poignant or touching. On the other end of the scale, however, are title screens like that of Mega Man 2, which are all about getting the player pumped. It opens down in the streets with a rather mellow and unassuming piece of music, but as the camera ascends so does the tempo, climbing higher and higher, all the while becoming increasingly frenetic, until... ♫ Weeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr♫. There he is! It's Mega Man! Standing heroically on top of a skyscraper, his synthetic hair blowing in the wind. Which is great, but what really sells it for me is the blistering guitar riff and the late title card. Classic.

1 – 1994, Nintendo Presents...

The first thing we hear is the screech of the infant Metroid. As the camera pans across a nearby terminal a woman’s body can be seen lifeless on the floor. The cries of the Metroid continue, but it has now become intertwined with another sound, the sound of someone's breathing equipment. Perhaps part of a protective suit. The sound echoes and reverberates, but in a way that is metallic and solid. The infant is revealed to still be within it's chamber; another much more formidable creature has perpetrated these murders, but to what end? This is how we're introduced to Super Metroid.

Community Suggestions

Final Fantasy 6 (suggested by Oblivion) - Dark clouds are on the horizon. That's what the opening to FF6 says to me. When the lightening flashes across the screen and the organ begins to play, it really sets an ominous tone for the epic opera that is about to unfold.

Scribblenauts (suggested by azeke) - Can a title a screen truely be as good as the game itself? It can when they're one and the same. Scribblenauts lets you get straight to the fun part before you've even technically left the title screen, by letting you experiment with words to see what's possible. As with Mario Paint this offers a good primer for the game to follow.

Harvest Moon 64 (suggested by NWR_insanolord) - This is the first time I've seen this. My immediate thought was 'Who turned Geno into a real boy?' and soon after 'Why is Captain Olimar dressed in a red suit and hat?'.

Metroid Prime (suggested by ejamer) - I could only seem to find a static image with the title screen theme, but luckily that's the best part about it. Composed by Kenji Yamamoto this piece of music has stuck with even after all these years. It's incredible.

Ocarina of Time (suggested by Da Jarvis) - A classic. It's a great title sequence first of all because it gives you an idea of the scope of the game, as Link rides through an idyllic field, with Death Mountain in the distance, down the imposing walls of Hyrule Town, past Lon Lon Ranch. It really gives a sense of scale. Plus, it doesn't hurt that the music is great.

P.S. I went with the prettier version

Battletoads (suggested by Morari) - I agree. Great track. It does kind of bring back memories best left buried though. *shivers at the thought of speeder bikes*

Quake (suggested by Morari) - You'll just have to do with the theme music from what everyone agrees is the best version of Quake released on any platform.

Super Mario 64 (suggested by Ian Sane) - Have you ever thought Mario was so adorable you wanted to pinch his cheek? Well, Super Mario 64 is the game for you.

Halo (Suggested by Da Jarvis) - I don't have much to add other than to say the soundtrack for this game significantly raised the bar.

Braid (Suggested by Da Jarvis) - I'm not a huge fan of this game, but no one can deny that it's cold open, which is part title screen and part tutorial, is a great moment made all the more memorable by some fantastic music.

God of War (Suggested by Da Jarvis) - Having been unable to find the one you're referring to I dug a little deeper and was shocked to discover that God of War is more 'classic' that I originally thought.

Ballblazer (Suggested by MegaByte) - That's pretty incredible.

Sonic the Hedgehog (Suggested by MegaByte) - Does anyone else think Sonic is a little too accusatory? First of all he furrows his brow and then he waves his finger at you as if to say 'nah, don't even think about it!'. What's that guy's problem?

Bonk's Adventure  (Suggested by MegaByte) - Interesting.

Super Mario World (Suggested by MegaByte) - As with the SMB3 this title screen does a pretty good job of demonstrating the sorts of things Mario is capable of. Great music also.

Super Mario Kart (Suggested by MegaByte) - PUSH B!

Wario's Wood (Suggested by MegaByte) - Any Pixies fans out there think this music ripped off 'Velouria'?

Chronotrigger (Suggested by MegaByte) - This is a great one. The sound of the pendulum swinging is really evocative.

Yoshi's Island (Suggested by MegaByte) - Unfolding like a child's storybook this title sequence really shows off the art style. At the time the rotating sprites were also pretty impressive.

A Link to the Past (Suggested by MegaByte) - Seeing those Triforce pieces fall into place has been burned into my memory. A link to the past, however, actually has three parts to it's title sequence. There's the Triforce scene, the title screen and then the opening sequence. Three openenings, three pieces...hmm.

Wind Waker (Suggested by MegaByte) - Like the game itself, Wind Waker's title screen was a breathe of fresh air. It also, however, does a good job of establishing the location of Outset Island from...well...the outset.

MGS4 (Suggested by MegaByte) - Ominous.

World of Goo (Suggested by MegaByte) - I had actually forgotten about this one. It's a good one.

Cave Story  (Suggested by MegaByte) - One of my favourite video game tracks of all time. Great choice.

Catherine (Suggested by MegaByte) - This is a weird one.

Pikmin 2 (Suggested by MegaByte) - This just missed my top 10.

Tetris DS (Suggested by MegaByte) - Another great one. Isn't it amazing just how easy it is to appeal to Nintendo fans?

A Boy and his Blob (Suggested by MegaByte) - I love this game.

Parodius Da! (Suggested by MegaByte) - So...there's that.

Wave Race 64 (Suggested by MegaByte) - I can attest to the fact that this used to be impressive. Now? Not so much.

Brutal Legend (Suggested by Pixelated Pixies) - As a teenager I was huge Tenacious D fan. As a result I still have a residual fondness for JB and loved this title sequence.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:02:51 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Top Ten Title Screens
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:22:30 AM »
No Final Fantasy VI? :(

And as soon as I saw the title of this post I knew Xenoblade would be on here somewhere.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 04:11:44 AM »
In Scribblenauts, title screen is the best part of a game.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 04:38:06 AM »
@Pixelated

You need to edit your youtube links to cut the the part starting at the & sign
&feature=player_embedded

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=30575.msg717908#msg717908

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »
One of my favorites is Harvest Moon 64, where Natsume misspelled their own name.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »
The first three that jumped to mind (making them memorable, I guess) were Xenoblade Chronicles, Mega Man 2, and Metroid Prime... but there are already a bunch listed that I have to agree are as good or better.  Nicely done!
NNID: ejamer

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 01:25:58 PM »
@BlackNMild2k1

Thanks. I've done that now, but they still seem to be posted as links rather than being embedded. Any ideas?

Also if anyone else has any favourite title screens/sequences, and provided you can provide a youtube link, I'm going to be adding a list of community choices later on this evening.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:29:01 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Da Jarvis

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 02:02:16 PM »
Completely agree with Xenoblade! Hoenstly, I remember getting my HD TV around the time I finally got around to playing Xenoblade and despite myself questioning my purchase of Wii HD Cables over ones for my PS2 (do they even make those?), this title screen assured I had made the right choice. I mean, the game was made for a good sized TV, and the title screen really gives you an idea of what you have to look forward too.

Another title screen I really love is the Ocarina of Time Title Screen. Just the idea of watching Link casually riding around Hryule field doing odd things and the idea that everything they show in this opening are things to look forward to doing in the game (turning into Adult Link, riding on Epona, exploring the feild, day and night cycle, ect), so I think it's really powerful in that aspect.

Aside from those, I can't really think of any other ones that stick out. It might require me to look into it more, but I'll come back if I find anything!
3DS Friend Code: 4038-6986-6300

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 02:31:13 PM »
Finally got the videos working! No idea what the problem was. I just deleted the links and readded them (as per BlackNMild2k1 instruction) and on the third occasion they popped up. Weird. Anyway, enjoy 'em.
Gouge away.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 06:07:58 PM »
Wow. I didn't think the music in Xenoblade was that good! Best title screen I've seen in years.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 08:01:51 PM »
Battletoads for the music.
Quake for the real-time rendered demos playing behind the title menu.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »
Wow. I didn't think the music in Xenoblade was that good! Best title screen I've seen in years.

Yeah, it is an outstanding piece of music. The soundtrack generally is perhaps my favourite on Wii.
Gouge away.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 08:34:06 AM »
Now with 100% more community suggestions or your money back.
Gouge away.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »
Awesome, thanks!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 02:22:18 PM »
Battletoads has good intro music but Battletoads/Double Dragon's is even better!  If you were a wrestler in the 80's and used that music as your entrance theme you would be an instant star.

What about Super Mario 64's famous Mario face?  That's an obvious inclusion.

I think OoT's intro benefitted greatly from the context.  A younger gamer might not realize this but in 1998 Link riding a horse was a bullet-point feature.  The very idea seemed incredibly ambitious for the time.  "Holy ****!  This game is so huge I need to ride across it on horseback!"  So to put it right there in the title screen establishes that, yeah, this game is a big deal.

Super Castlevania IV's intro sets the mood so well that it inspired my brother to make a movie that replicated the same mood.

Super Metroid probably has the best first ten minutes or so of any game ever.  Everything from the title screen to "the last Metroid is in captivity" to the intro cinematic with the awesome music to the intro area in the space station to arriving in pouring rain on Zebes to initially encountering no enemies until the security system alerts the aliens to your presence.   There is no way anyone can play through that sequence of events and not get immediately hooked.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:26:44 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline Da Jarvis

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 03:33:22 PM »
Now I think about it, there are three more games that come to mind when I think of really good Title Screens:

1) Halo: the first game not only has a powerful score, but we also get our first glimpse of what we will be on for the rest of the game. This flooting ring in space just spins round and round, waiting for you to explore it. Plus, who doesn't like the Halo Theme Song?

2) Braid: The fact that this title screen is just so intersting because it's so mestrious and as soon as you start the game, the title screen goes right into play. You start walking and then the game get's started. Really kind of cool I think.

3) God of War: This one is more of a personal pic since there is nothing to special, but I love how as soon as you start the game, it zooms away from his face and show the player Kratos preparing to jumping off the cliff. It's a really intersting reference to The Odyssey, but I just really enjoy it none the less :)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 03:03:02 AM »
You guys have hit a lot of the best ones already, but here are some other considerations:

Mario Bros (arcade), and similarly the Famicom Disk System - introduces Mario & Luigi and shows off the key jumping mechanic
Ballblazer (Atari 8-bit) - really cool music with a melody that's algorithmically generated... in 1984! You can also scroll the playfield around
Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - iconic Sonic
Bonk's Adventure (TG-16) - perhaps a parody of the other mascots, Bonk is initially sleeping. Pressing start wakes him up and he falls off the screen and directly into world 1-1.
Super Mario World - classic music and demos a super-secret level.
Super Mario Kart - more classic music and humorous intro
Wario's Woods (NES) - demonstrates gameplay as Wario flies by
Chrono Trigger - the pendulum swings as a lead-in to one of Square's epic animated intros
Yoshi's Island - "3D" island with a catchy tune that also shows your overall progress
A Link to the Past - bold Triforce and sword opening
Super Mario 64 - deform Mario's face for hours of entertainment
Wind Waker - great cel shaded scene panning accompanied by moving music performed by Miyamoto himself
Metal Gear Solid 3 - dynamic intro
Metal Gear Solid 4 - who needs a fancy moving intro? just make it the title screen!
World of Goo - the game's dynamism is on display everywhere, including the title screen
Cave Story+ - understated clouds in Pixel style supported by catchy music
Catherine - just check it out; very original and represents the game well
WarioWare Snapped! - upon first inspection there isn't much there, but the game saves random shots of you playing the game, which pop up on the title screen
Pikmin 1/2 - Pikmin make up the logo itself
Tetris DS - fun interactions with the Nintendo cast
Art Style: Boxlife - really goofy music and customizable character/room
A Boy and His Blob (Wii) - artsy title like the rest of the game, but it seamlessly transitions into the game without a start menu
Parodius Da! (SNES) - the silly octopus from the game does a Hanabi Ondo (?) Bon Odori dance complete with music (most of the soundtrack is public domain or rehashed music)
Waverace 64 - looks pretty crude now, but the music and water effects were impressive at the time
Bad Piggies - this just came out, but it does a decent job of showing what the game's about along with fitting music
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:59:47 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Da Jarvis

• View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 12:50:04 PM »
Cave Story and Catherine both have really good title screen, and Catherine's intigrate really well into the main menu where you select things. But maybe that is the Catherine fan in me talking xD

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 06:05:24 AM »
Now featuring entirely too much awesome.
Gouge away.