Author Topic: Wii userbase least used of all platforms  (Read 9309 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Wii userbase least used of all platforms
« on: April 09, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a152277/wii-user-base-least-active.html

Not too surprising really. Given nintendo's slant this generation "to make people play once a day" this isn't surprising. Let the arguing commence!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Wii userbase least used of all platforms
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 12:51:40 PM »
Wii users are fit enough to go outside.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 01:03:17 PM »
Well, what do you expect with a platform where something actually worth playing for more than 5 minutes comes out about every 3-4 months (or in scattered bunches once or twice a year), run by a company not terribly interested anymore in gamer's games anymore?    :rolleyes:

I'm sorry if that makes me sound like a troll, but being a lifetime Nintendo fan is so frustrating...
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 01:15:09 PM »
Sounds about right.  I haven't played the Wii in at least a month and even then it was just some Guitar Hero with my friends.  The last time I sat down and played it for hours on end?  December when I got Warioland.

It fits Nintendo's target demo.  Non-gamers are not going to play that often and aren't going to play for long playing sessions.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's a huge chunk of Wii owners that bought it for Wii Sports, played it until the novelty wore off, and haven't bought anything else and just bust the console out when they have friends over.  Or maybe they bought Wii Fit or Wii Play as well but otherwise just don't play it much at all.

I've mentioned a million times how core gamers are not a priority to Nintendo or the third parties supporting the Wii so I won't elaborate on it.  But that's the group that is going to be putting serious playtime into a videogame console.

Is this bad news for Nintendo?  Should they care?  I know that all that matters to them is profits but does this have any financial impact?  I suppose if the average Wii playtime has gone down that would be a concern to them as it may indicate excitement for the Wii going down which may result in decreased sales (or it may suggest that the Wii is a fad, which has got to be a possibility that scares the **** out of Nintendo).  But if it's always been this way I doubt they would care.  All that matters to Nintendo is that they're in the black for each quarter.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 01:52:36 PM »
Well, what do you expect with a platform where something actually worth playing for more than 5 minutes comes out about every 3-4 months (or in scattered bunches once or twice a year), run by a company not terribly interested anymore in gamer's games anymore?    :rolleyes:

I'm sorry if that makes me sound like a troll, but being a lifetime Nintendo fan is so frustrating...

Post like these aren't needed around here

Sounds about right.  I haven't played the Wii in at least a month and even then it was just some Guitar Hero with my friends.  The last time I sat down and played it for hours on end?  December when I got Warioland.

It fits Nintendo's target demo.  Non-gamers are not going to play that often and aren't going to play for long playing sessions.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's a huge chunk of Wii owners that bought it for Wii Sports, played it until the novelty wore off, and haven't bought anything else and just bust the console out when they have friends over.  Or maybe they bought Wii Fit or Wii Play as well but otherwise just don't play it much at all.

I've mentioned a million times how core gamers are not a priority to Nintendo or the third parties supporting the Wii so I won't elaborate on it.  But that's the group that is going to be putting serious playtime into a videogame console.

Is this bad news for Nintendo?  Should they care?  I know that all that matters to them is profits but does this have any financial impact?  I suppose if the average Wii playtime has gone down that would be a concern to them as it may indicate excitement for the Wii going down which may result in decreased sales (or it may suggest that the Wii is a fad, which has got to be a possibility that scares the **** out of Nintendo).  But if it's always been this way I doubt they would care.  All that matters to Nintendo is that they're in the black for each quarter.

This is slightly more constructive criticism.

I'm 22 years old, and i work a full time job. I've been playing nintendo systems almost exclusively since i was 3. 20 years later i still love the products this company puts out and my only regret is that as an adult with responsibility on my shoulders, i just don't have the time to play these wonderful games like i used to.

There's never been a time in my life where I've had this many backlogged games that i need to finish up. Why? Because believe it or not there are actually a TON of good games on Wii that can hold your attention for hours on end. But i just don't have that kinda time anymore. I try to enjoy as much time with my games as possible, or else its a waste of money, so if i can pop in a game (whether its Animal Crossing City Folk or Mushroom Men) for five mins at a time, so be it. Does it make me any less of a gamer because i don't sit in front of my tv for hours on end playing one game until i beat it just to move on to the next at an almost parasitic pace??

My point is, maybe the Wii userbase is the least active because its made up by mostly *gasp* ADULTS. That has NOTHING to do with what type of games these adults play either. I don't care if you're a fan of mini-game fests or "hardcore" games, if you're an responsible adult that enjoys videogames as a hobby, there will be plenty of times in your life where you won't have the kind of time to put into games as you'd like to.

I don't know about Broodwars, but Ian let me ask you this: if every single wii game to come out for the platform was a AAA quality "epic" title, as well as if as a wii owner you got every single 'hardcore' title that the other platforms have... lets just pretend that you lived in this perfect world..

do you really think you'd be able to play all, or any, of these games for hours on end if your life was going exactly as it is now?

Exactly.

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 02:05:14 PM »
But if it's always been this way I doubt they would care.  All that matters to Nintendo is that they're in the black for each quarter.

They are a business, that is their objective. The fact that they sold 50 million Wii's is good news to the investors etc etc but means nothing from a consumer standpoint. Next gen however they have an opportunity to really solidify things and restore focus back to original gamers and "new" ones more evenly. I'm not talking about proper TV advertising about functions only original gamers care about but, internally at least, task some internal teams (Like Retro, Monolith and Intelligent Systems) to make games aimed at us and then (here's the megaton!) schedule them evenly.

I only hope for the future is that their PLANNING improves, because they can't repeat this gen again with a heavy-loaded early 2008 (and 2007 to a point) and then almost nothing else. And then skip Fatal Frame, and Disaster.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 02:24:22 PM »
My point is, maybe the Wii userbase is the least active because its made up by mostly *gasp* ADULTS. That has NOTHING to do with what type of games these adults play either. I don't care if you're a fan of mini-game fests or "hardcore" games, if you're an responsible adult that enjoys videogames as a hobby, there will be plenty of times in your life where you won't have the kind of time to put into games as you'd like to.

I don't know about Broodwars, but Ian let me ask you this: if every single wii game to come out for the platform was a AAA quality "epic" title, as well as if as a wii owner you got every single 'hardcore' title that the other platforms have... lets just pretend that you lived in this perfect world..

do you really think you'd be able to play all, or any, of these games for hours on end if your life was going exactly as it is now?

Exactly.

You make an excellent point about adults not having the time.  Adults make up a huge chunk of the non-gamer market.  Well, hell, I'd say 100% of non-gamers are adults since kids have always been a traditional videogame target market.

Personally, despite my adult responsibilities, I do find the time to play a game for a couple hours and would if I had some big Nintendo first party game to sink my teeth into.  I'm spending that same amount of time playing guitar or watching DVDs or going outside or reading.  But I balance my life out pretty good to have a fair amount of leisure time.  And that's just me and I wouldn't apply that to other people the same age.

I guess the question is how much playtime does Nintendo want to get out of their userbase?  The frequency of playtime might be a useful stat as well.  Let's say there is a large chunk of the userbase that has averaged half an hour a day.  Not too bad I guess.  But what if all that time is front loaded to when they got the console and after the initial six months they're playing an average of only 30 seconds a day?  That suggests the novelty has worn off.  Not good.  Or if there's a group where the playtime comes in bunches where there's nothing for months and then when a big game comes out there is a huge spike in playtime for abouth a month and then it goes to almost 0 again for months.  That might suggest someone WOULD play more but isn't because there isn't enough variety for them.  Or consistent playing for a long time until nothing.  Uh oh.  Did they lose interest or buy another console?

Frequency of game purchase would be a useful stat as well.  Ideally Nintendo wants consistent purchasing.  It doesn't have to be once a month or once a week or anything like that.  But if someone bought four games a year the first year you probably want them to do that the next year.  It's no good if they buy the Wii, buy two games and then never buy anything again.  You might as well not count them in the userbase.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 02:48:08 PM »
Wii users are fit enough to go outside.
lol. Sorry guys, the correct response was in the 1st reply.

endthreadcuthere.jpg  <---i would put it there but I'm not on my computer (stupid laptop won't load my photobucket)

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 02:54:20 PM »
Usage statistics were not solely based on gaming, with time spent on other activities like surfing the net and playing DVDs also accounted for.

Huh...
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 03:03:09 PM »
Wii userbase least used?  Well, I know I sure don't get used much.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 03:10:59 PM »
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 03:14:23 PM »
Lol. Correction.

Ah and once again a certain someone sticks a certain foot in their certainmouth again because of this deception! Looks like Wii is more used then 360 and PS3 at least recently. I know for myself I put far more hours into my Wii then the other systems. Next would be PS3 because of blu-ray movies and last is 360.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 03:31:33 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »
For me it my PS3 is least used, at least as a game machine. I only own 2 games (the overrated "LittleBigPlanet" and the pain-in-the-ass to set up "The Eye of Judgment") and rarely play them. I mainly use it to watch DVDs and Blu-ray Discs.

I play games all the time on my Wii. I don't have a job though, so I don't buy games that often.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »
Pie. Meet Face.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 03:21:13 PM »
<trombone style=muted>waa waa waaaaa</trombone>

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 03:24:56 PM »
And Ian sticks his foot in his mouth again because of this deception!

Yeah, because I'm such an idiot for analysing what appeared to be a legit news story.  Should I question every site just in case it's a mistake before expressing an opinion on it?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 03:29:24 PM »
omg, majority of wii users are NON-CASUALS

the market has been GORED

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 03:36:33 PM »

Gored like squeezing the guts out of an orange amirite?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 03:38:59 PM »

Gored like squeezing the guts out of an orange amirite?

A perfect reflection of the sweat oozing onto millions of Balance Boards.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 03:58:04 PM »
<trombone style=muted>waa waa waaaaa</trombone>
would this be the same?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »

Yeah, because I'm such an idiot for analysing what appeared to be a legit news story.  Should I question every site just in case it's a mistake before expressing an opinion on it?

Considering that this is the internet, yes...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 04:13:07 PM »

Ian isn't in the wrong because, like many people he thought the original batch of information revealed by Nielson was correct. I'm sure many of you don't agree with Ian's opinions heck, I'll admit that I don't agree with Ian most of the time but it doesn't mean that I don't respect his opinion. I think the only organization to blame is Nielson since they screwed up with their own data analysis.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 02:01:20 PM »
My problem with the WII is even though there's 1000+ titles (more than Xbox 360 and PS3) most of those titles fall into "party games" or sports.  I perfer RPG's, strategies, action, and platformers and Nintendo really only has 1 or two offerings that are worth mentioning in those fields.

So yeah, the WII gets used to least my me while the 360 gets the most use.  So far this year I only got around 30 hours on the WII (Madworld and HoD Overkill) and I really can't see anything worth trying until June (PunchOut, Boom Box and  The Conduit). 

Think on my 360 I have beaten over 80 titles so far and I think the WII is around 20.  Haven't gotten around to buying another PS3 but I'll get that out before the year's end.   

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 03:13:05 PM »
EasyCure is right. I am in the same boat.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 03:39:55 PM by DAaaMan64 »
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 03:48:58 PM »
My problem with the WII is even though there's 1000+ titles (more than Xbox 360 and PS3) most of those titles fall into "party games" or sports.  I perfer RPG's, strategies, action, and platformers and Nintendo really only has 1 or two offerings that are worth mentioning in those fields.

So yeah, the WII gets used to least my me while the 360 gets the most use.  So far this year I only got around 30 hours on the WII (Madworld and HoD Overkill) and I really can't see anything worth trying until June (PunchOut, Boom Box and  The Conduit). 

There are both a platformer (Klonoa) and a strategy game (Little King's Story), both genres you say you're a fan of, coming in May.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent