Author Topic: An Informal Movie Review: Resident Evil: Degeneration  (Read 12870 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
An Informal Movie Review: Resident Evil: Degeneration
« on: January 06, 2009, 07:26:50 AM »
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blogArt.cfm?artid=17491

Aside from the Metal Gear Solid series, I can’t think of another video game franchise with such a long-running and involved story as Resident Evil. There are heroes and villains, monsters and zombies, biohazards and heartbreak—what’s not to love? However, I’m somewhat of a snob when it comes to plotlines. I don’t give the time of day to non-canonical content, including the horrendous Resident Evil live-action trilogy (starring Mila Jolovolavich), so I was a little apprehensive when I heard about Resident Evil: Degeneration, a fully CG film starring Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield. Would the movie be canonical, or merely an excuse to get the former RE2 stars in the same room again? Turns out it’s both. The film takes place one year after the events of RE4 and serves as a bridge between that game and the next one, RE5. Degeneration also marks my first Blu-Ray purchase!    

Since Umbrella Corporation’s untimely demise by the combined efforts of Albert Wesker, Chris Redfield, and Jill Valentine in 2003, a new biotech firm has begun research on the T-Virus: WilPharma, which is being protested against for vaccine trials in India. The company is publicly supported by slimy senator Ron Davis, who is either a very blubbery human being or a very small beluga whale. Claire Redfield arrives in an airport in Harvardville (seriously? Harvardville?) to pick up a friend’s niece, and within minutes, a zombie-filled plane crashes into the terminal and the undead shenanigans begin anew! The marines are called in, as is Leon S. Kennedy, who still works directly for the President. The two former Raccoon City stars, along with some new friends, discover a new monster (it’s the G-Virus this time, kiddies) and an interesting conspiracy along the way. The consequences of these events will be felt in RE5, I guarantee it. Sadly, Wesker’s hand does not appear to be in this particular pie, but you can bet he benefited from the fallout.    

If you’ve watched any of the movie’s multiple online trailers, you’ve probably thought to yourself, “that doesn’t look a whole lot better than a modern video game cutscene.” In fact, that’s basically true. The setpieces, though, are really spectacular and epic in scope. The human characters suffer from a non-stylized look, and that Uncanny Valley rears its ugly head. It’s not that the characters don’t look or act believable, it’s that they don’t match the stunningly realistic environments. Some of the animation, most of which was mo-capped, is unnaturally fast, but in general, the movie looks wonderful. It takes a few minutes to acclimate yourself to the portrayal of non-zombified human characters, but once you accept the aesthetic, you’ll be fine. It’s interesting to see what the modelers did with Claire and Leon. Claire’s original RE2 and RE: CV models are low-res and blocky, so the developers had to basically build her from the ground up, and they did a wonderful job. Leon, however, already has a perfectly acceptable model from RE4, but they changed his facial structure significantly here. He has a longer face and smaller eyes. It sounds like small potatoes, but it’s very distracting for those familiar with RE4. Leon is also the worst actor—while every other character displays a range of emotions in both their facial geometry and body language, Leon is immobile. The best character is undoubtedly Angela, a Special Response Team member who befriends Leon. She has depth and soul, and there’s a subtlety in her movements that’s lacking in the other main characters.    

Sadly, the film is lacking good special features. There’s a lengthy and interesting “making of” documentary, but I was really jonesing for some concept art or animatics, neither of which is included here. There are two RE5 trailers which we’ve probably all seen before by now. The Blu-Ray disk has some PiP (Picture-in-Picture) stuff, but it’s not especially noteworthy. By the way, I recommend the Blu-Ray version if you have the means—as the film is completely CG, it will look better there. My rule with Blu-Ray is this: If the movie is animated or relies very heavily on CG-effects, go with it. Otherwise, you won’t be missing anything on the DVD. Blu-Ray is a superior technology for displaying digital effects. A movie like Wall-E will look mesmerizingly awesome on Blu-Ray. Some Like It Hot will look no different than the DVD you already own.    

I hope Capcom continues down this road. Resident Evil has a great cinematic quality to it, and seeing a movie in the years between game releases could be a great way to give fans their zombie kick. If you like Resident Evil, I highly recommend Degeneration.

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: An Informal Movie Review: Resident Evil: Degeneration
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 08:45:10 PM »
Planet Earth is neither animated nor effects-laden.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 08:49:51 PM »
Good point, but it WAS filmed entirely with digital cameras, I think.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 08:52:56 PM »
Aside from some (admitedly expected) cheesiness and some very clunky character modeling/animation (everyone looks like animated Barbie Dolls), I really enjoyed this movie.  It just hits all the right notes with me as to what a Resident Evil movie experience should be, especially with the music (pun not intended, I assure you).  While Leon is a bit too dry in his dialogue and delivery, I suppose I prefer that to some of the ridiculously-silly lines he was spouting off in Resident Evil 4.  My big complaint is that Claire is completely pointless fanservice in this movie: she never DOES anything useful, and stands out badly compared to the focus Leon gets in the story.

It's great to see a Resident Evil movie that actually fits in well with the game's chronology, and if they can improve on this level of quality with future RE CG movies I'm all for this series continuing (as Capcom obviously intends with the way the movie ends on a cliffhanger).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 03:52:38 AM »
Yes, the movie was awesome. The action sequences bested anything in the live action movies and its easily one of the better videogame movies out there.

I agree about Leon, though. He was basically a big block of wood.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 11:03:41 PM »
The action sequences bested anything in the live action movies and its easily one of the better videogame movies out there.

Watching a dog defecate bests anything in the live action movies. I do have a hard time believing that any video game based film will ever surpass the first Mortal Kombat. That said, I have had Degeneration on my NetFlix list for a few months now.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 12:01:15 AM »
The action sequences bested anything in the live action movies and its easily one of the better videogame movies out there.

Watching a dog defecate bests anything in the live action movies. I do have a hard time believing that any video game based film will ever surpass the first Mortal Kombat. That said, I have had Degeneration on my NetFlix list for a few months now.

Silent HIll already bested the first Mortal Kombat film years ago, although I remember that one being a good game-to-film adaptation as well.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 02:59:59 PM »
Watching MK now is pretty painful, honestly. We all have great memories of it, because it blew our minds when we were kids, but...really, go back and watch it. I did recently.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 07:02:45 PM »
I actually enjoy the live action movies and can't wait to see this one too. Silent Hill was a great movie based on a video game IMO.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 08:50:57 PM »
Quote from: pap64
I agree about Leon, though. He was basically a big block of wood.
Isn't it a general rule this generation to make lifelike models in video game graphics like wooden?

Or sob uncontrollably like Otacon, look old man old like Snake and bitchy like Meryl.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 01:05:22 PM »
I watched Degeneration around a month ago, and honestly, once the so-cheesy-it's-awesome effect wore off, I just got bored. The entire way through, all I could think about was how I'd much rather be playing the movie, rather than watching it. It's pure action fluff.

But I know you're way into Godzilla movies, Zach, so I guess that's right up your alley, anyway. :P
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 03:28:56 PM »
Hurry up and release Godzilla 1985, Sony Tristar! What the f*ck are you waiting for? And actually, Karl, Degeneration DID turn into a mobile-phone video game in Japan. I don't know how well it performed.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 04:39:24 PM »
You spent RE4 Wiimake revenues to make a 2-hour long commercial for RE5?

piss off, capcom
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 05:03:35 PM »
It's time for you to join the HD revolution. You've got the TV.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »

Silent HIll already bested the first Mortal Kombat film years ago, although I remember that one being a good game-to-film adaptation as well.

Silent Hill did capture the general feel of the game pretty well. In general however, the CGI tended to be lame. Plus, the woman that they had playing the cop was simply painful to watch.

Watching MK now is pretty painful, honestly. We all have great memories of it, because it blew our minds when we were kids, but...really, go back and watch it. I did recently.

No it's not. I watch Mortal Kombat every now and then on general purpose. It ranks up there with The Matrix, Army of Darkness, and Dune as a film I never grow tired of viewing. It's essentially just a supernatural version of Enter the Dragon. Besides, even as a relatively campy martial arts film, it still beats out most of the unadulterated crap that Hollywood throws out nowadays.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 01:27:23 AM »
I seriously enjoyed the movie too.

Here is my review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwe-UfBhd90

No spoilers in my review by the way

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 02:50:25 AM »
I seriously enjoyed the movie too.

Here is my review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwe-UfBhd90

No spoilers in my review by the way

No thanks

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 04:09:04 PM »
Hurry up and release Godzilla 1985, Sony Tristar!

Sony doesn't have the US rights to The Return of Godzilla (aka Godzilla 1985). Anchor Bay does, and while there were talks of Warner Bros working with them to release a set that contained both the US and Japanese versions... nothing every materialized and probably won't at this stage. Like Godzilla vs. Megalon and Godzilla vs. Biollante, sadly the movie is probably going to stay in limbo for quite sometime in the US.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:10:44 PM by Arbok »
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 05:23:31 AM »
There's only a handful of things i actually want to buy in Blu-Ray, and Wall-E is top of the list. I'm also kinda hoping for Sanctuary Season 1 too..

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 02:56:12 PM »
This movie was terrible, absolutely terrible. From the beginning it was just poorly animated and poorly plotted. Some logic is thrown out the window in a very bad way, the dialog is terrible as is the voice acting. There is some physics that doesn't make sense, and not even in a video game type way. This movie is nothing but a cash in on the series, and a disgrace to film in general.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 11:55:18 PM »
This movie was terrible, absolutely terrible. From the beginning it was just poorly animated and poorly plotted. Some logic is thrown out the window in a very bad way, the dialog is terrible as is the voice acting. There is some physics that doesn't make sense, and not even in a video game type way. This movie is nothing but a cash in on the series, and a disgrace to film in general.

Wow i think we agree. I actually enjoyed the live action movies much more. Yeah they don't follow the plots of the games, though there are enough similarities for me to enjoy them in the context of the game. After seeing this film I can see why the movies are their own contained universe. Heck even the final battle in the movie was terrible, sometimes the monster looked like it was made from stop motion footage.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 03:41:15 AM »
The ooze!

He musta ate all of it!

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
Some girl at work was telling me taht this was the best movie of all time or some bullshit I told her to get real and get my dick in her and she told me she only loves Capcom. :(
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 12:03:03 PM »
=\
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64