Author Topic: Next Wii Zelda a year in development  (Read 4516 times)

Offline zakkiel

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Next Wii Zelda a year in development
« on: December 11, 2006, 04:26:50 AM »
Via kotaku.  
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
RE:Next Wii Zelda a year into development
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 04:42:38 AM »
Good thing I have a Wii and not a DS!  Sucks for DS owners though. Phantom Hourglass was looking pretty cool. I really wish the Twighlight Princess had the ability to doodle on dungeon maps like Phantom Hourglass does....
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:11:14 AM »

Originally posted by: ryancoke
Good thing I have a Wii and not a DS!

Wow, there's something wrong with that statement.  >_>  DS rocks!  And who says you can't have both?

And I can live with Phantom Hourglass being delayed, as there are too many DS games to play in the meantime.  I don't think I'll be caught up with my queue of games by spring...and if Pokémon: Diamond/Pearl come out by then, I can easily keep busy until Phantom Hourglass.  And I haven't even mentioned Wii games, VC games, and possibly even *gasp* non-Nintendo (primarily PC) games!

The next (console) Zelda should have an even hotter Zelda.  I don't even think that's a spoiler, honestly.  Imagine a Zelda game as awesome as Twilight Princess, but improving on the one thing everyone picks on...the graphics!  Though I'm still hesitant to call TP the best Zelda game, it will certainly be hard to beat.  But all Zelda games are really good (except the CD-i games but they never really count).  Let's hope they don't churn them out so fast that they start slipping.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: Next Wii Zelda a year into development
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 05:31:25 AM »
One year down, two more to go! Can't wait!
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 05:33:12 AM »
Zelda games are always worth the wait, nothing wrong here.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 05:35:44 AM »
Aww man, too bad about PH. But like JonLeung said, there ARE too many DS games to play right now so I guess the delay is ok.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 06:05:24 AM »
Nothing from Kotaku is ever right.

Just saying.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 06:15:57 AM »
Considering that Twilight Princess started off as (or in my mind IS) a Gamecube game they've probably had a fair bit of time to work on the next game.  Probably a lot of the recent TP work was just getting a near finished Cube game working with the Wii remote.  The creative content was probably all done and just technical work was needed.  So the creative Zelda talent could work on the next game.

Regarding Phantom Hourglass being delayed I don't mind.  Honestly the concept of that game sounded like the most unnecessary forced touchscreen usage ever and any extra time in development would only improve things in my mind.  Nintendo is confident enough in the DS now that we don't see forced touchscreen usage nearly as much.  They're doing what's best for the game now with Yoshi's Island DS being a perfect example of a game not requiring the touchscreen and thus not using it.  So I wouldn't be surprised if they were reevaluating Zelda to see if controlling Link with a stylus is really necessary.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 06:28:53 AM »
lol i was just going to start a thread about this, ie "whens the next zelda coming out, i want more"

anyways, slipped in star fox adventures, and remembered some of the things that didn't bring it to the zelda level, first the world is pretty small, second once you get to the end and save your screwed because you cant play through the world again...and that really peeves me. Graphics: Still holding up, maybe too well. IE the next Zelda better not look like a port of a GameCube game thats not even the best looking. SFA still holds that title.

Also, its strange, but over the last two years i had completely forgotten allot of what wind waker had in it, now im having all these wind waker flashbacks and im starting to really appreciate the games memories.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 06:41:45 AM »
My sister got me TP for Wii but said I cant haveit till christams now. So iw as going to go back and replay SFA. Bt tnen I rememeberd I still have WW and havent finishe dit yet,ok to be fair I havent gotten past the first part wehre your stuck in a stupid bucket tryign tosneak oput of jail or whatever.

Anyways what would prepare me for Zelda TP better, replaying SFA which is my favorite GC game or trying to finish WW and getting hyped for a real Zelda game?

I loved the first four Zeldas, then Mojoras Mask, WW and that one GBA game I didnt like kinda got me worried.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 06:55:33 AM »
"Probably a lot of the recent TP work was just getting a near finished Cube game working with the Wii remote."

Wrong...Between the end of 2005 and the game's release, the Zelda team made some killer changes INCLUDING SOME BOSS FIGHTS...Most of the work was still in tieing the game together, NOT in working out the controls...A year to add controls?  No...

Back on the topic, I'm really glad Phantom Hourglass has been pushed back...I was a bit worried that the game would not get the polish it deserves, but now all is well...I also find it hard to believe that the next console game has been in *development* for a year, considering that the Zelda team had been working 100% on getting Twilight Princess out the door, not to mention their work on Phantom Hourglass...If anything, I'd say just some preliminary work on gameplay mechanics and character sketches have been made...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 07:02:48 AM »
They also changed the way the twilight world looks, go back and look at old pics and how it is now and you can see a change was made.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 07:05:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
So I wouldn't be surprised if they were reevaluating Zelda to see if controlling Link with a stylus is really necessary.

I really hope so.  That idea sounded terrible.
GOREGASM!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 08:08:57 AM »
Yeah, it's remarkable playing the game now, and noticing all the things in the trailers (up to the 2005 trailers, I think, and maybe even 2006) that are no longer in the game.
I'm sure they added lots, of course, but we can only see what they took out.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 08:20:41 AM »
After seeing what an additional year did for Twilight Princess, Nintendo can take all the time they want with Phantom Hourglass even though it sucks right now. And was I the only one that was warm to the idea of touch screen controls?  

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 08:54:30 AM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd
After seeing what an additional year did for Twilight Princess, Nintendo can take all the time they want with Phantom Hourglass even though it sucks right now. And was I the only one that was warm to the idea of touch screen controls?

I warmed up to them as well.  I think they are keeping the touch screen controls in, this is just Ian being Ian.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 09:48:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39

So I wouldn't be surprised if they were reevaluating Zelda to see if controlling Link with a stylus is really necessary.

No it didn't.. it sounded awesome. Most of the impressions were positive too.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 09:51:38 AM »
I think the idea of touch screen controls MUST be kept in...for weapons and puzzles at least...I'm a bit hesitant about controlling all of Link's motions through the touch screen, so I hope they open the option of controlling his motion through the dpad and his attacks (and items) through the touch screen...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 09:57:56 AM »
The touch screen controls never appealed to me either. I hope Ian is right. Maybe some stuff can be done with the touch screen, but please god not everything.

As far as another Wii Zelda, I doubt they have started another just yet. Maybe some preliminaries, but nothing real concrete.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 10:02:32 AM »
Bring back the Ball and Chain and a way to speed up the Spinner.  Also, WW style control over statues.  Instead of TP.

I figure I start early. ;P
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 10:06:22 AM »

Originally posted by: segagamer12
My sister got me TP for Wii but said I cant haveit till christams now. So iw as going to go back and replay SFA. Bt tnen I rememeberd I still have WW and havent finishe dit yet,ok to be fair I havent gotten past the first part wehre your stuck in a stupid bucket tryign tosneak oput of jail or whatever.

Anyways what would prepare me for Zelda TP better, replaying SFA which is my favorite GC game or trying to finish WW and getting hyped for a real Zelda game?

I loved the first four Zeldas, then Mojoras Mask, WW and that one GBA game I didnt like kinda got me worried.

Ironically enough play WW.  I think it borrowed a lot of the good from that game.  Which in prospective was very experimental.  Just ignore all the water parts.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 01:37:15 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

Originally posted by: Smoke39

No it didn't.. it sounded awesome. Most of the impressions were positive too.

To me the controls sounded like "Hey, let's make Zelda control like Diablo for no apparent reason!"  I have no problem with using the stylus for stuff that makes sense, like plotting a course on your ship or writing notes on your map, but for controlling Link the idea doesn't appeal to me at all.

And impressions don't really mean much.  I buy games primarily on whether or not they sound interesting to me, and secondarily on whether other people liked it.  
GOREGASM!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 01:54:58 PM »

Nothing from Kotaku is ever right.

You have to trace the source. Kotaku got it from a site called the Hylia who got it from Game Informer (The Hylia links 'Planet Gamecube' in a strange twist). Game Informer's rumors are spotty at best, they were the ones who said that the then called Revolution's secret controller was a touch screen interface.

I pretty much shield myself from Twilight Princess spoilers since I don't have it, so I can't say what worked and what didn't. But I do remember that Shiggy said that TP would be the last traditional Zelda as we know it. Who knows what's cooking in Shiggy's and Anouma's head?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 06:29:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
"Probably a lot of the recent TP work was just getting a near finished Cube game working with the Wii remote."

Wrong...Between the end of 2005 and the game's release, the Zelda team made some killer changes INCLUDING SOME BOSS FIGHTS...Most of the work was still in tieing the game together, NOT in working out the controls...A year to add controls?  No...

Back on the topic, I'm really glad Phantom Hourglass has been pushed back...I was a bit worried that the game would not get the polish it deserves, but now all is well...I also find it hard to believe that the next console game has been in *development* for a year, considering that the Zelda team had been working 100% on getting Twilight Princess out the door, not to mention their work on Phantom Hourglass...If anything, I'd say just some preliminary work on gameplay mechanics and character sketches have been made...

QFT.

Read the Iwata Asks Interviews and they make it sound like TP was an absolute MESS in fall 2005. It sounds like they were working and working all the way down to the wire in 2006, and that if they hadn't had that extra year of dev time we would've had another incomplete WindWaker game on our hands.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.