Author Topic: Mafia GX: Scrapheap  (Read 44380 times)

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Mafia - GX: Scrapheap
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2006, 10:57:43 AM »
Yeah, this has been a really interesting game (It would've been more interesting if I hadn't gotten killed on day 2, but oh well ).
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2006, 02:53:18 PM »
I've come across this jail idea before but I don't really get it. Last game S-U-P-E-R had a jail-breaker but I never understood what that was about and it was never used. So, I didn't bother putting that role in my game.

Now that the moles are dead, I'll tell you an interesting loop-hole. On day 2, I got a few pms from MaxVelocity members asking if they would have a mole in their midst that night. Decoyman, in particular, wanted to make sure he that MaxVelocity got one evening mole free because he wanted to talk to his gang without worry. I assured him the mole roles wouldn't go out until after the story. It got me wondering the what he needed to discuss. Did he want whoever was the mole to tell the mafia or something? Anyways, I sent the roles out that evening after the story was posted and told them to wait tomorrow for more information. So, the next day I sent out the instructions of what they were to do exactly. I was worried about Pale because the only MaxVelocity member he knew was Deg and Deg turned out to be the mole, which Pale knew also by being the librarian.

Anyways, as I waiting for the packages, it suddenly hit me. What if Decoyman wanted the mole to reveal himself and just have the mole send his package to mafia members. I checked back through my rules to see if I had posted anything on who the package could or could not be given to  but I hadn't. And when sending out my instructions, I realized that I had never specified that either. So, then I started sweating. If that happened would I deny it or not? Technically, it was a fair move. It negated the reason for the mole but if a mafia picked up on it and I hadn't said anything yet, should I deny them their brilliant gameplay? And the truth is, after thinking about, I would have allowed it. Yes, the mole was supposed to give away the mafia and this would have been contrary to the role but at the same time, the person could be playing to get back in the mafia and therefore keeping them strong to allow that. Because of the ambiguity on the mole's true alliegience, (remember, he's being blackmailed against his will) it could still be argued that he is playing within his parameters. However, that never came to pass and I didn't have to worry about that thorny issue. Plus, Pale pretty much forced Deg to send him the packages. Still, that would have been brilliant strategy.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2006, 03:01:18 PM »
Jailbreak in S-U-P-E-R's mafia just meant I couldn't be killed by voting.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2006, 03:03:58 PM »
Interesting. Glad I finally got to understand that one.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Mafia - GX: Scrapheap
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2006, 03:06:30 PM »
Wow... Yeah, that didn't even cross my mind, since the mole basically converts to townie, and it wouldn't be in his best interests to give the package to another mafia member... But yeah... It's kind of like planting a thought in a person's mind before you brainwash them or something

I just wanted to say a "goodbye" of sorts to whoever would turn out to be the mole, and ask them to use a random # generator to decide who would be leaked. I thought that would be the fairest way to do it, and I promised to do the same thing if I was chosen to be the mole. The group was playing really well and I'd enjoyed being a member of the team, so I wanted to say thanks. Lastly, I just told them to play hard and know that whatever role I ended up with, I'd be playing as deviously as possible to pull out a win, and I expected them to do the same.

Knowing what I know now, and fully understanding the blackmailer role, I would've also asked them to swear they'd come back to the mob if we could get rid of their blackmailer, lol.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2006, 04:06:58 PM »
The only real problem with Khush's rules is the moles.  Saying the moles can only give out info in their packages is flawed.  It requires that people trust the moles too much...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2006, 04:22:11 PM »
I see what you did there.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2006, 05:36:00 PM »
you know, I think that the mole's biggest loophole is what happened to me....

ended up being a vigilante of sorts
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2006, 06:13:30 PM »
That's just because Pale knew you were a townie trapped as a mafia member and wanting to help.  He used you.  (Rather brilliantly, I might add.)  He had a teammate who he needed to kill but couldn't because there was a bomb attached to.  You were ready, willing and able to help out.  He would have succeeded if not for the awesome powers of the killer.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2006, 06:30:26 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu
That's just because Pale knew you were a townie trapped as a mafia member and wanting to help.  He used you.  (Rather brilliantly, I might add.)  He had a teammate who he needed to kill but couldn't because there was a bomb attached to.  You were ready, willing and able to help out.  He would have succeeded if not for the awesome powers of the killer.
I wouldn't dare to say "brillantly", as after I told pale my situation I didn't have much to do, as I either killed Deg who I knew was mafia (although I didn't know he was the mole) and die, or kill someone else and die later as MV already knew who I was....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2006, 07:44:01 PM »
So, it was Pale... Wow, that was a great move, actually... an explosive situation masterfully defused.

I wish we had gotten him before he had a chance to railroad me out of the game
Twitter

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2006, 02:52:41 AM »
i'm going to have to drown and smoke away my sorrows now...

wait a second it's friday I was going to do that anyway.

Hooray for townies!
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2006, 04:07:20 AM »
You know now that Khush mentions it.  What has the Townie Idiot been doing the whole time?  They should have died by negligence because this far in the game there is almost no way what-so-ever that they didn't get any information.  They are a live role.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2006, 04:22:54 AM »
stupid fellow townies
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2006, 05:04:17 AM »
Yeah, I'm going to call foul if the Townies win and the Townie Idiot wasn't doing his job. I'm holding out hope that my Mafia can still win this mofo, DO IT MaxVelocity!
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2006, 05:23:00 AM »
i know who the townie idiot is, as i was the cop, but sssshhhhhhh I'M NOT TELLING
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2006, 06:06:14 AM »
Ha I am placing my bets on either the killer or the Magician.  

The Killer may be able to kill the neccessary people to survive...and the Magician might be able to change roles with the killer, and then kill the Magician or something.  I dunno...anything can happen.

I just wish we actually knew what townies had been actually recruited, but that mystery keeps everyone guessing...and we just don't know.

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2006, 08:44:56 AM »
For awhile back there I was convinced that Legends had just happened to corrupt Bill, who would have been townie idiot. I don't see why anyone would keep saying they're mafia unless they had been corrupted and HAD to say that because they were the townie idiot. It turns out I was wrong, though it was an interesting strategy, I suppose...

Too bad it was a strategy that also happened to be filled to the brink with F41L l0l
Twitter

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2006, 09:39:54 AM »
Ok, got a message from the townie idiot who has the following to say:

I've been very vocal on the PM side of things, with dealings on both mafia and townie sides.

I was the guy who tipped off the killer about Pale being recruited.
I was the guy who told Deguello he had a bomb on him (didn't affect things much as he was killed shortly after)
(There was more to the message but I edited it because there was still quite a bit of information that could give away the role.)

Well, I guess if the townie idiot was doing it by PMing which is fine. I just expected the info to be given in posts on the threads. Since I wasn't seeing that happening and there was all this talk of a big townie alliance, I figured that there should have been some posts by now and better make sure that the townie idiot did know their role. In the message I got, the townie idiot was angry how everyone is crying foul of that person still being alive. That wasn't the intent of my message nor did I mean to sound harsh or stern with the townie idiot in my post. If that cam across, I apologize. Since I hadn't seen this information get spread, I just thought I'd better make a reminder in case the person with the role was confused on what to do and because I expected something to have been leaked by now.

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2006, 10:42:32 AM »
Hmm... but I thought the townie idiot was supposed to blab it to everyone, not just a select few. Oh, well.
Twitter

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2006, 10:54:16 AM »

Someone needs to explain to me how he got this information.  Either I'm not understanding the rules, or the mole did something against them.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2006, 12:02:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Pale

Someone needs to explain to me how he got this information.  Either I'm not understanding the rules, or the mole did something against them.

That is true.  I don't see how he could have known when he knew.

The Townie Idiot

The townie idiot is a drunk who can't keep anything to himself. Any information he is given will be revealed, except for his role, strangely enough. The townie idiot is playing for the townies but he it can be hard tell. What does this mean? If the townie idiot is corrupted, he will tell eveyone he's corrupted and who corrupted him. If he's recruited, he becomes the mafia idiot and starts naming names. Consider him a whammy.

Unfortunately it was probably designed to be a more public thing but it didn't state it had to be.  Like the Mole the Idiot could just keep blabbing to one person like the mole could have sent his package to a mafia member.  As a description of a character that was good.  As a stating of the rules it was ambiguous.

This is significant because if that person ends up being recruited, he will know who the mole is. The mole must also be careful not to hit the townie idiot. The townie idiot will post the entire contents of the package including the mole's role.

Welp thats everything public about the Townie Idiot role.

With all this being said.  I can't argue with how the role has been played.  It's within the rules and for this game is fine now that I know they have been active.  I just would like to point these out so that if another mafia game would like to use the role that they now how to make it more to the spirit of things.  Personally I think that Town Idiot should have been like the mole.  He would send packages to Khush and Khush would state whether he thought they were to vague, to detail, and then tweak them to hide who it was better.  These packages could be sent to someone through Khush but there would be like a 1 in 3 chance that they would be posted in the beginning of the day stuff or they could just post them straight to the beginning of the day stuff, all though Khush.  I can definitely see why they did what they did.  The role could have used more buffers.

In fact there be a 1 in 3 chance to go to the intended recipient, 1/3 chance to go to a random recipient,  and a 1/3 chance to go to the board.  That would be interesting.

Final Verdict: Townie Idiot was a good idea but it didn't provide the balancing that it was thought to.  A little tweaking and this could be an interesting dynamic.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2006, 12:08:17 PM »
It might be a good idea, in future games, to require everyone to forward their pms to the game master.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2006, 12:14:16 PM »
um...iv had some trouble with my mailbox filling up..requiring that would just be mailbox death
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2006, 12:16:22 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
um...iv had some trouble with my mailbox filling up..requiring that would just be mailbox death

QFT I need to dump my mailbox for a third time today. that's over 300 pms for one game.