Author Topic: Something still hidden  (Read 7280 times)

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Something still hidden
« on: May 11, 2006, 10:13:30 PM »
Hey, I know some of you hate IGN, but in their interview with Perrin Kaplin matt asks her if there are any new hardware surprises.  Perrin immediatly says "Yes, next question"

Let the speculation begin. (even though its all been speculated already)  

Edit: later in the interview, she confirms that nintendo is indeed aiming for a worldwide launch, and to make you guys down under happy, she even corrects matt and tells him not to forget about australia, when he says "So that means Japan, Europe and America?"
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
RE:Something still hidden
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 10:22:22 PM »
Just watched it.  I know more peripherals, she may have only been implying that much.  I can't really see any cost-effective hardware developments on the unit itself, though.

For fun though: a 3-D holographic image spitting out of the blue light on the Wii.
Brawl FC: TONX, 2964 - 8248 - 7611  -  PM if you add me.  Calgary, AB!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Something still hidden
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 10:25:02 PM »
Good news about Aus launch

Reggie also mentions more secrets here

He was restrained when asked about Sony's addition of motion sensitivity to its PS3 controller, which comes well after Nintendo's high-profile development of a Wii controller based on that technology. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,'' he said. But he also noted that Sony's action reflected the intense competition within the game industry and said that had been a factor in Nintendo's decision to keep other news about the Wii under wraps until much later in the year.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 10:32:09 PM »
the video interview with Perrin Kaplan confirmed my suspicions that Nintendo is all about the reefer; by the sounds of it they don't get anything done until it's time to finalize everything!

-havent finalized plans for system packaging
-""                        ""   for game packaging
-""                        "" for anything and everything else regarding Nintendo Wii
-forgot to complete the name (seriously, i know someone just left some letters off in stages of finalization)
I'll shut up now...

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 10:41:19 PM »
The reason E3 is in May is to give companies - like Nintendo - six months before their products hit to tweak.  Of course Perrin and Nintendo haven't finalized those details.  E3 is basically condensed market research for those details.

I'm not worried.  No matter what's in the packaging when it ships, I'll eventually have the full arsenal of controllers, nunchucks, VC controllers, and whatever else they want me to have fun with.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 10:45:45 PM »
I'm quite certain my prediction of a virtual reality Nintendo will come true by the time Space World, yes, Space World, comes about
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 11:01:21 PM »
Am I one of the few that sees this as pretty amazing? Nintendo has yet to reveal everything yet they managed to reveal just enough (games) to get everyone pumped, even Gamefaqs which is usually against Nintendo is excited about Wii (check out their poll). With these "secrets" Nintendo has the potential of getting media publicity once again in a couple of months, neither Sony nor Microsoft have this since they have pretty much revealed everything. I'm really amazed with Nintendo so far, they have generated more excitement this E3 than both MS and Sony, both with superior hardware.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 11:06:41 PM »
Yeah yeah. Typical jedi-speak. There are no more secrets; what you see is what you get. And what you see is very pretty indeed.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 11:09:59 PM »
Man. they did a good job of keeping Smash Bros secret. Then they sprung it on us, that was pretty cool. I hope they have some Animal Crossing info in the next few months.

My guess at the secret? some cool online features I suspect. They put the Opera browser in there for some good reason.

Offline Dryden

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 11:33:22 PM »

My guess at the secret? some cool online features I suspect. They put the Opera browser in there for some good reason.

Ooo.... hey yah.  And with WiiConnect 24...
Firmware updates?  Auto-downloading Demos?  (Imagine turning on your Wii and seeing Mario Galaxy waiting for you.  SURPRISE)... streaming video of E3 2007?  And I guess they really haven't announced how the DS and Wii will work together... DS demos through Wii sounds smart.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 05:20:54 AM »
Please no firmware updates!  "Oops there go all your saves."  Demos and new content are pretty cool, though.  Whatever's left probably isn't as big as the controller - but if it is, that's awesome.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 05:59:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict
-havent finalized plans for game packaging

While I know this won't be the final artwork, the design at the top of this boxart for LOZ:TP at GameStop.com looks pretty convincing. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what Wii game boxart will look like.

HERE
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline willie1234

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 06:49:04 AM »
that was a terrible interview...I guess that's what you get these days from ign.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 07:05:27 AM »
Considering what Sony did, this isn't a surprise at all...But Reggie did say that they'd be spreading out the news all across the year...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Frozen Atlantic

• Spiritually Direct
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 07:18:46 AM »
Dude... streaming video? I never thought about that! It would be like Nintendo owning a propaganda network! They could stream Spaceworld and E3 every year! OMG.
smash brothers : 5069-3792-8710

wii: 2034-1057-8595-3928

if you send me a PM, I'll add you more quickly

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 08:15:02 AM »
I figure any future surprises would be things like price and release date.  You know, the stuff that no one in their right mind would ever consider a secret and naturally Nintendo does.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 08:34:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I figure any future surprises would be things like price and release date.  You know, the stuff that no one in their right mind would ever consider a secret and naturally Nintendo does.

Come on, Ian. You know that argument took a hit in credibility after Sony's press conference.

But yeah, price and release date details are all I'm expecting. I don't think we'll hear about them till the Wii is ready to be released though... seems Sony and Nintendo are playing a game of chicken when it comes to pricing. Sony can't be that retarded, so I'm pretty sure they announced that ridiculous price to provoke Nintendo into doing the same, only to lower it later.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 08:37:13 AM »
unless the price is $100 and release date tomorrow, why exactly is so important for us to know it right now?

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Crockinator

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 09:05:47 AM »
Who knows ...

references to more hardware suprises are still out there.

Link: http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/09/technology/e3_nintendo/index.htm

"A Nintendo executive later said more features for the Wii will be revealed in the months leading up to its launch"

I also like the fact that while the article talked about Nintendo, the very last line simply stated "Price tag for the PS3? As much as $599"

I would also like to point out that I am a 40yr old (that travels extensively with my DS), and am just as excited about the implementation of this launch as I am the system itself.  I think that if Nintendo intends to release bits and pieces of information up until the system launch, it will only build on the current excitement instead of throwing all of the information out to the public to sit on for several months.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 09:33:51 AM »
That top box art reminds me to much of the 360.  I prefer if they stick with the current area only white with a Wii logo or something to do with the blue light.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 10:12:51 AM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN

Come on, Ian. You know that argument took a hit in credibility after Sony's press conference.

But yeah, price and release date details are all I'm expecting. I don't think we'll hear about them till the Wii is ready to be released though... seems Sony and Nintendo are playing a game of chicken when it comes to pricing. Sony can't be that retarded, so I'm pretty sure they announced that ridiculous price to provoke Nintendo into doing the same, only to lower it later.

Hmm I don't think the PS3 price is unreasonable considering they are probaly losing alot of money on each system sold. Is it possible that they are waiting to lower the price down the road when Wii is announced? Perhaps, and that in itself is a good reason for Nintendo to keep things close until a later date, but I personally think there is more of a chance that the 500-599$ price is indeed their intended price. I think more important than price is the release date, if nintendo announces Wii's release date too early, Sony may try to beat them to the market.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 10:15:07 AM »

Well, matt asked specifically about hardware secrets, so unless perrin heard him wrong, she wouldnt be referring to price and release date.  Also that box art is missing one thing "Only for Wii."

I'm thinking that this secret will have something to do with the online features, they didnt really talk about that during the press conference

Offline MANTI5

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 10:17:56 AM »
Sony has said in a recent interview that the price for the PS3 might even be too cheap, so don't look for them to lower that price unless they get real desperate.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 10:44:04 AM »
They won't get desperate.  Sony believe that this product is a steal...and you from their point of view it is.

Remember, they control the market on Blue-Ray players and they are going to make sure none are cheaper than the PS3...or at least not noticably cheaper by the time it comes out.

If you want a Blue-ray player you are going to buy a PS3.  They hope that will produce a userbase for both the PS3 games and their Blue-Ray movies.  

Unfortunately, I think they are going to run into trouble with HD-DVD which will be cheaper and most people won't notice the visual difference between the two.  

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 12:01:58 PM »
Frozen Atlantic: Didn't MS do that this year? I thought I read somewhere that XBox 360 owners could download the E3 demos via XBox Live. Great idea, I hope Nintendo does do the same.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 12:09:02 PM »
So the people who supposedly have information regarding hardware secrets of the Wiimote, is there any reason you can't spill them?
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2006, 12:57:31 PM »
For what Sony's offering it's not an outrageous price. The question is whether any sort of decent-sized market exists for a video game console in that price range. Past experience says no, but times change.

Being a "cheap Blu-ray player" might wind up backfiring. They're selling this for a loss, unlikely the other players on the market, and the profit structure of the Blu-Ray market probably isn't designed to support that the same way the video game market is.

Plus, it's non-obvious that there's much of a market for the Blu-Ray either.  

Offline willie1234

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 01:40:56 PM »
this has strayed off topic - but I wonder how much the tilt controller added to an already bloated ps3 hardware cost?

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 02:36:53 PM »
Does the happy dance about the Aus launch. They do still love us!

Zach: The boxart is not missing the 'Only for Wii' title. The game isn't only for Wii its for his / her poor neglected cousin GC aswell!

Anyone EB: Yes, MS did that this year. Trailers, demos from E3 are downloadable. Very cool idea especially the demos bit.

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 06:05:22 PM »
OMG, How could I forget about my poor GC, maybe its because I have been neglecting it lately, Maybe I need to go pay some much deserved attention to it.