Author Topic: How do you make your computer faster?  (Read 3946 times)

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
How do you make your computer faster?
« on: July 07, 2006, 12:09:36 PM »
Without buying anything that is.

My computer is showing its age, and I would like to know if there are any small adjustments I could do to speed it up...

I don't know if it would help if you knew my specs but here they are:

Windows XP SP2
P4 2.0
512 ram
GeForce2 MX/MX 400
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: How do you make your computer faster?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 12:22:22 PM »
Back up everything, reformat, then reinstall everything?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »
I could do that, but I don't have an external drive.
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 01:01:18 PM »
Maybe CD-Rs? But that's just a hassle.

Maybe you could borrow a friends computer to back it up onto?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 01:14:39 PM »
These are the basics, I suppose. Sorry if you already knew them:
-Add another stick of RAM; get it up to a gig. You should be able to do this for ~$40 or less.
-Defrag if you don't usually. Don't use the built-in Windows defragger, as it supposedly doesn't do anything. Instead, invest in (or 'acquire') Diskeeper or something similar.
As for backing up...borrow an iPod, unless that won't hold everything. I personally keep all my media and documents on a separate HDD.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 02:25:46 PM »
1.33 GHz Athlong T-bird
256 MB PC133 RAM
16 MB Matrox Marvel
Win 98SE

You wanna talk about age?  This is the same system I do my video work on, including the recent SSBB trailer.  Granted, I have little care for PC gaming.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 03:47:05 PM »
I don't really game. I just have a sh!tload of music and it seems to be making my computer lag.

And oh ya

55.8 GB drive (sopposedly 60)

"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 03:55:03 PM »
Partition your drive, or get a separate physical harddrive for general storage of movies/music/media.  Keep your main (OS/apps) drive neat and defragged.

Reduce the amount of "crap" that loads upon startup.  Minimize the amount of apps you leave running.  Treat your system tray like a pants pocket, not a suitcase.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 10:00:33 PM »
Soldering Irons.

Don't have a PC. Gotta Mac. iMac rev D. Slot loader. L2 cache set to 2:1. Cpu soldered for 450 Mhz instead of 400. Great for net use. Got a GC for games.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 10:31:58 PM »
55.8 GB drive (sopposedly 60)

Unit difference. HD manufacturers use 10^3 while OSes use 2^10 for calculating the kilo/mega/giga/tera stuff.

Want my advise? Take out that graphics card, crush it under your heel and get a decent one. Even the lowest end ones will net you a significant boost. Or you could overclock your CPU but you won't notice the difference.

Offline slacker

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 11:22:15 PM »
Consider updating your motherboard BIOS. This might give a minor boost to the system. Run spyware removal programs, defrag, and perhaps kill some of the programs that is automatically loading up on startup. You can run the msconfig tool in the run menu to prevent some of these programs from starting up. I find that when my computer that holds most of my music files is running slow, its usually infested with spyware or programs that start up automatically. I run spyware removal programs, uninstall unnecessary programs, prevent some program from automatically starting up, and finally defragging. It runs pretty well after that.  You might want to make your swap file (the place that windows reserve for virtual memory) a constant 1GB so that Windows doesn't expand it too high and then when it decides to reduce the size, bring your system to its knees. You can find this area in the advance tab of the system properties menu. Click on the settings button for the performance. Look for the virtual memory settings area and make a custom size and set the initial and maximum size to 1GB.  I do this for all of my systems and it seems to keep my system from getting periodic slow downs.

If you got the cash, get a faster SATA drive and make it your primary drive for running applications and use your current drive for data storage. Also, getting your system RAM to 1GB makes a world of a difference. Beyond that, its overkill.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
RE:How do you make your computer faster?
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 03:10:02 PM »
If you download alot of music and the computer is slowing recently, its got to be because of spyware/adware or viruses. Having a bunch of storage should have no bearing on your performance.

Even if you go to 'Start - All Programs - Startup' that will list some items that can be deleted to improve performance. It won't remove the programs, just takes them out of the Startup folder.

Then you could go into the Registry editor, though using a program like 'Hijackthis' will do the job without worrying about messing up other entries in your registry.

If you use any spyware removal tools, use them in safe mode. A program cannot be removed if it is in use.

Adding RAM will help performance, though unless it is significant you may not notice a bunch. Upgrading the MoBo BIOS may help, but most of the time a manufacturer will recommend it only if you are having a specific issue that the upgrade addresses.

Don't worry about a SATA HDD unless you have the connector on your MoBo already. Otherwise you will need a PCI adapter then the PCI Bus becomes the bottleneck in you bandwidth instead of the IDE Bus.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 03:39:55 PM »
Ad-Aware, Spybot, PerfectDisk Trial and do a full defragmentation w/smart placement with PerfectDisk after updating and running ad-aware and spybot, remember to also run the immunization in Spybot and I think all of these are at download.com.  Go into the advanced version of Spybot and use the startup tool to help determine what you don't need to have start with you computer and disable it.  After all that you might want to go to Start->Control Panel->System->Advanced->Performance(Hit Setting button).  Switch the option to "Adjust for Best Performance" (Until Vista is out Windows still uses the CPU to do most of you rendering on the desktop and like).  Then go into the Advanced tab there and hit the bottom Change button.  Change it so that Windows does not dynamically make a pagefile.  I personally set it to 1024 on whichever drive isn't my main drive because in theory my main drive will be hit the most.Set the Min and Max to the same so it never has to go through resizing it.  That should give you some speed increase.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline rossi46

• View Profile
RE:How do you make your computer faster?
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 05:20:55 AM »
The simplest, cheapest and easiest way to speed-up your PC is to apply the Six-Month Rule. That is: get rid of EVERY app, game and software component that you haven't used for six months. Generally, if you've not used anything in that time - you're not going to. Then run the spyware, anti-virus and de-frag apps. Google for freeware PC optimising apps and run those. Go to http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php to download the best optimising/cleaning/speed-up  freeware in the world (IMO).

*note to mods - this is safe, free and legal. I use it all the time.*

Click on PC Wizard 2006 in the top left of the web page to d/l the latest version.

Korean food is great! : It's the dog's bollocks...