Author Topic: Water Cannon Idea from S.Mario Sunshine finally "stolen"  (Read 5103 times)

Offline Koopa Troopa

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Water Cannon Idea from S.Mario Sunshine finally "stolen"
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2004, 09:11:06 PM »

I dunno. These little kids are becoming much more skilled in the art of gaming.

You must be joking. Kids today are so coddled it isn't even funny. Kids in the NES days were real gamers, little brats tackling contra, donkey kong, metroid and the like. I doubt 5% of kids today could take any of OUR generations games.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Water Cannon Idea from S.Mario Sunshine finally "stolen"
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2004, 09:24:17 PM »

You must be joking. Kids today are so coddled it isn't even funny. Kids in the NES days were real gamers, little brats tackling contra, donkey kong, metroid and the like. I doubt 5% of kids today could take any of OUR generations games.

I completely agree- older games were merciless. Metroid in particular I never even beat because it was too damn hard- every time you'd continue they'd start you off with 30 health and no extra energy tanks regardless of how many you had, it was insane. Couple that with the fact you never knew where the hell you were or where you were going.  Today's games, while still very fun, just aren't anywhere near as challenging as they used to be, which can be a good or bad thing depending.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2004, 09:45:52 PM »
Metroid was flawed but not what I'd call hard. Yes, it was an exercise in frustration and I didn't bother to play very far (come on, I have better things to do than try 50 times to get through an area at 30 health or spending two hours killing random enemies to fill up my healh beforehand), but the repetitive level design and said health flaw (together with enemies your standard armament can hardly reach or destroy) made playing it feel like a chore. I mean, having three doors that lead to three rooms that look exactly the same and having to try out which one leads to anything just isn't fun.
Yes, kids back then tried their hands at the really hard games, but that doesn't mean they succeeded. Sure, if you only have two games for your NES there's not much to play and you have enough time to master them, but most kids never completed their old games. Hell, when I was a little kid my most played games were Katakis (an R-Type rip-off by Factor 5) and Giana Sisters (a Super Mario Bros rip-off (I even had a hacked version that replaces the player character with Mario), if my information is correct that one was made by Factor 5, too), both pretty long and hard games which I never played past the first few levels wthout using the trainer the previous owner patched in. I never completed a single level in Mega Man for the Game Boy without using an Action Replay (I think I made it to cutman and elecman without help but never managed to beat those). My friends were even worse at games.
The SNES is a completely different story. I made it through most of the games I had for that, mostly because of the implementation of save features and other helps that kept you from having to replay the entire game.

What I wanted to say is: Not even 5% of the kids BACK THEN could tackle the old games. How old were you guys when you played them, anyway? I was maybe six, at that age playing even the easiest videogames like Mario Land (30 minutes start to finish) was really hard.

But then the first GB game I played (didn't like Tetris, still don't) was R-Type...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2004, 09:46:26 PM »
"I doubt 5% of kids today could take any of OUR generations games."

Hell I can't even beat our generation's games and I grew up playing them.  I agree with MC in that it can be a good or bad thing depending on the situation.  I don't want games that hold your hand but there were some old games that were just ridiculously unfair like the object of game design was to prevent players from winning at any cost.  The NES Zeldas for example were unfairly hard.  Your sword had virtually no range.  It was like trying to hit an enemy with your dick.  So current Zelda games shouldn't be as hard.  But at the same time there should be a fear of dying and you should have to figure out puzzles and strategies yourself without the game giving you blatant hints.  It's a tough balance.

Offline RCmodeler

• banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2004, 03:25:42 PM »
Young teens annoy me.  They act like everything is brand new, and never been done before.  That's okay, but then when they go accuse OTHER games of "stealing".... that goes too far.

The water jet in Mario Sunshine is NOT an original idea.  Just off the top-of-my-head, I can remember a game from *20 years ago* which used a water jet as its key component (Towering Inferno - Atari 2600).

So if anybody "stole" anything, it would be Nintendo.... from older games that you young folks have forgotten and/or did not know about.  Please remember that before you accuse others developers of stealing Nintendo's ideas.  Chances are, Nintendo's idea is NOT original.

Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion.  If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance.  Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious.  Thank you. -----  PLAY GAMES FOR FREE! -   http://www.atariguide.com

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2004, 04:50:11 PM »
"The water jet in Mario Sunshine is NOT an original idea. Just off the top-of-my-head, I can remember a game from *20 years ago* which used a water jet as its key component (Towering Inferno - Atari 2600)."

The water jet has been used in MANY games, not just TI...But in no other game do you use it to wash away paint...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline RCmodeler

• banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2004, 03:32:26 AM »
Milo & The Rainbow Nasties does not "wash away paint" either, so it's not stealing.
Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion.  If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance.  Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious.  Thank you. -----  PLAY GAMES FOR FREE! -   http://www.atariguide.com

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2004, 12:02:22 PM »

Originally posted by: RCmodeler
Young teens annoy me.  They act like everything is brand new, and never been done before.  That's okay, but then when they go accuse OTHER games of "stealing".... that goes too far.

The water jet in Mario Sunshine is NOT an original idea.  Just off the top-of-my-head, I can remember a game from *20 years ago* which used a water jet as its key component (Towering Inferno - Atari 2600).

So if anybody "stole" anything, it would be Nintendo.... from older games that you young folks have forgotten and/or did not know about.  Please remember that before you accuse others developers of stealing Nintendo's ideas.  Chances are, Nintendo's idea is NOT original.

Um, first of all I'm older than you.  Second I did not claim that Milo & The RN stole the water cannon idea from SMS, that's why I used "brackets".  Because Nintendo had said they were afraid the idea would be stolen, so I was merely referring to that.  

I don't know about you guys, but I didn't think the games back in the NES era were too hard to beat.  Zelda 1 was a small challenge (took 1 week), Zelda 2 was harder but not that bad.  Then again I only had about 15 NES games when it was in its prime so maybe I just played them more.