Author Topic: Was anyone else disappointed by E3 this year?  (Read 43788 times)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Was anyone else disappointed by E3 this year?
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 11:12:39 PM »
::tears:: but but...!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 11:27:43 PM »
From the E3 expectations thread:

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I don't think there'll be that many big announcements. Remember, E3 is practically dead. We'll see a few press releases from the surrounding time put into that show instead but no special versions of games anymore (I heard devs hate having to make an E3 demo anyway).

Also Mario does plumb. Why do you think he travels through pipes? He's unclogging them!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 11:30:45 PM »
KDR just won the thread. =)

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2007, 11:31:50 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Also Mario does plumb. Why do you think he travels through pipes? He's unclogging them!

That's the most ridiculous piece of ridiculousness I've ever heard.  Where does the clog-matter go?  Does Mario eat it?  'Cause that's kinda gross.  
GOREGASM!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2007, 11:34:28 PM »
One could argue that piranha plants are clogging the pipes. When mario blasts them away he unclogs the pipes hence saving the mushroom kingdom from having massive plumbing problems.

And as we all know only the coolest and bestest plumbers of all can do that. So yeah.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2007, 11:40:20 PM »
Mario only kills piranha plants because he's too much of a loser to just dodge them like all of the non-loser plumbers do.
GOREGASM!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2007, 11:51:06 PM »
Mario's too fat to dodge them, give him a break...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2007, 11:53:50 PM »
Well then maybe the fat loser should lose some weight!
GOREGASM!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Was anyone else disappointed by E3 this year?
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2007, 12:01:54 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

That freaky lady is She-Ra! So take that.

Ah! I thought she looked familiar! I can't believe I didn't recognize her!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2007, 12:09:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39
Well then maybe the fat loser should lose some weight!

NO!  It's tradition that he's fat!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2007, 12:11:02 AM »
Smoke39 hates fat italian plumbers CONFIRMED

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2007, 12:22:52 AM »
Hey guys . . . remember when E3 was freaking fun? (Probably one of the best E3 moments of all time).

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2007, 12:33:38 AM »
But a superior Zelda was on the show floor this year...

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2007, 12:37:20 AM »
I just mean in terms of sheer awesome E3 moments Bill. The crowd going wild (come on don't tell me it doesn't send a shiver down your back it's so awesome lol) and Miyamoto with a sword and shield. That's just pure awesome.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2007, 02:15:41 AM »
It's wasn't a great E3, most everything of interest (or not) was revealed before, so except for, mainly, WiiFit, everything else wasn't a surprise.  
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2007, 03:19:05 AM »
I thought this topic would've also been about the format of E3.

I went last year with some friends (thanks to my web site, VGMaps.com), and it was lots of fun.  When we heard about the scaling-back and downsizing or whatever this year, we didn't want to go even if we still could (which I doubt).  But it sounds too small and yet not organized well.  I'd almost forgotten E3 was happening until after the first day had already passed.  Is it true that it was so ridiculously set up that Square-Enix didn't bother showing up on the so-called "show floor" on the last day?

News-wise, there was little that was new.  I can understand big games like Halo 3, MGS4 and SMG taking so long that they span at least two E3s, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be new stuff too.  And what little there was wasn't all that interesting.  I'll probably get Wii Fit, but I don't see myself loving it by a "being blown away by it" amount.

I'm already excited about SMG, MP3:C, and SSBB, for sure, but E3 didn't really boost that much.  Sure, we got release dates and a little bit of footage.  I just wish there could've been at least one game we hadn't heard of to get me freshly excited again.

If the limited amount of news was due to the limited space and the awkward formats to show new products, I certainly hope E3 will reconsider and go back to the "mayhem" it used to be.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2007, 04:11:22 AM »
I don't get what you're all complaining about, Nintendo already said they'd stop talking about games that wouldn't be released within the year.

If they did things the way you wanted we'd have tons of megaton game announcements to get us hyped only to be crushed later when the game(s) get quietly canceled or delayed. With the way they're doing things we can enjoy so many good hands straight thru the holiday and by the time we finish them we'll be hit with news of the next new batch of games to look forward to in the spring-winter seasons.

you guys are just complaining for the sake of forum tradition. You yourself got your hopes up to be let down this year, not kill last year when nintendo unknown us the last secret of the wii would be revealed.

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline D_MaN87

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2007, 08:15:54 AM »
I agree that I was expecting some sort of mega announcement or two, the games mentioned above were great to see.  I'm exciting for a number of those shown at e3, but I guess I expected something more.
Wii Number: 1080 3358 2033 2880
FF3 Number: 2620 7985 5351
Diddy Kong Racing DS: 0688 1563 4718

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2007, 08:42:23 AM »
I found E3 very disappointing. But I thought Nintendo's showing was great, just as good as anyone's. The show just felt much more insignificant.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2007, 09:23:30 AM »
When the mainstream media ignored Nintendo last generation, they held no credibility with me (and many Nintendo fans). And now just because they switch sides, it doesn't mean they hold any more credibility. Some fans have conveniently 180'ed on the media and now use it to chest-thump their brand as proof positive of Nintendo's awesomeness, but that is the genius of *marketing* and using the media correctly to their advantage. Yay for marketing 201.

But as for E3 and actual *PRODUCT*, I agree with the OP that the E3 was lacking compared to past shows. Should E3 even continue, this will probably be its future course. It's not about impressing the masses anymore (it never should have been). A lot of information has been trickling out over the last several weeks too, so many newsbytes were already spoiled.

At the same time, Nintendo seemed to forget their E3 audience. It's still primarily the gaming media and gaming bloggers in those seats, and that is what they cover. Their mainstay Mario got a passing mention while a scale with software got the primetime demo slot. (Was there even a date or price given?) It was another of their mainstream plays at the wrong venue.

Of course, you're not going to beat the moment of Zelda TP's unveiling. So the show is forever spoiled no matter what.
"wow."

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2007, 10:24:55 AM »
Obviously Nintendo screwed up last years E3 by revealing Wii sports. I'm sorry but so called "hardcore" fans can whine all they want, but Nintendo did the right thing by revealing Wiifit at E3. The mainstream media has really gotten a hold of it (like Wii sports) and has spread it throughout the public. That to me, is a success, not to mention the fact that the press conference is meant to give games coverage that may have otherwise been ignored.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2007, 10:45:25 AM »
Nintendo showcasing WiiFit at E3 was great for them. It put the game in the mainstream limelight where it belongs. However, most of the people that watch E3 are the hardcore consumers. When Nintendo's E3 focus is the mainstream gamer, it's only natural that the hardcore crowd feels ignored and a bit let down. Nintendo is just doing good business.  
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2007, 11:29:05 AM »

Originally posted by: TVman
When Nintendo's E3 focus is the mainstream gamer, it's only natural that the hardcore crowd feels ignored and a bit let down. Nintendo is just doing good business.

Who on earth said that the "E3 Media & Business Summit" (as it was called this year) has to satisfy the hardcore gamer? They scaled down the space, scaled down attendances and truly moved away from the grand event of previous years, so why should the hardcore gamers still expect the same result after three days?

The people who complained about Nintendo not meeting their expectations should chill out. If you are that concerned about the results of the show then you're probably a hardcore gamer arguing on some forum with another hardcore gamer. Go outside and get a life.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2007, 12:38:45 PM »
Wasn't Mario Kart Wii confirmed for online AND a Q1 2008 release? That's pretty big news if you ask me, especially that it'll release so soon – like 6 months from now! In between, we'll have Brawl, SMG and MP3:C – hardcore gamers should be plenty happy.

Though it's true that there was no "WHAT-THE-CAN'T-BELIEVE-IT" moment. It was just a flurry of body shots instead of one giant haymaker. For me, that's cool. (But thanks to Mashiro for reminding us what a haymaker feels like with the video link. I couldn't help smiling remembering that.)
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2007, 12:47:04 PM »
Lol no problem Decoyman.

In another thread I came to realze we have the GDC coming up in Leipzig (Aug. 20-22) and then TGS (Sep 20-23).

So we just had E3 and already next month there will be another game conference then followed by TGS the following month . . . that's a lot of conferences all in a row.

I would say considering the size and reformat of E3 this year and given the closeness of the shows, I bet each company is holding some "trump cards" for both GDC and TGS. It may not be Megaton but I guarantee we will be seeing more of what is to come in 2008 from these other two shows.