Author Topic: Virtual Console Mondays: June 4, 2007  (Read 14055 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Virtual Console Mondays: June 4, 2007
« on: June 05, 2007, 01:02:08 PM »
Zelda II headlines the arrival of Virtual Console's 100th game.  How does it and the others released this week stack up?
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/vcArt.cfm?artid=13576

It's been almost seven months since Nintendo launched the Wii and the Virtual Console service, and this week sees the 100th game available for the service.  That's impressive compared to the competition: Xbox Live Arcade—which has been around for a year and a half—sports around 60 titles, and the PS3's PlayStation Network service has less than 30.    

So what about the four games released this week on VC?  That's news in and of itself.  It's been a while since Nintendo let loose more than three games.  It may have released the fourth just to get to the 100 mark, so there's no telling if we'll go back to the usual triple play next week.    

Here are our recommendations for the centennial set.  

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - NES

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - NES  

Released 9/1988
  1 Player
  Cost: 500 Wii Points ($5)
  Controllers: Wii Remote, Wii Classic, GameCube  

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link on the NES veers far from the first game's roots. Presented primarily from a side-scrolling perspective, the sequel is decidedly more action-oriented with rudimentary swordplay mechanics, platforming, and more upgradeable statistics. Players venture through a fairly linear overworld to reach side-scrolling temples (dungeons), caves, and towns to claim the Triforce of Courage.  

This game was very much an experiment for Nintendo back in the day, and it yielded as many successes as failures.  The unbalanced points system and semi-random battles impose mindless grinding, and the series quickly reverted to item and rupee-based upgrades.  Since battles take place solely in the side-scrolling mode, the overworld feels largely detached from the game's core. The game design provides considerable challenge, but level design devolves to cruelty in the cave sequences approaching the final dungeon (although players can exploit a bug in the overworld to counteract this).  Zelda II's broken save file, which does not remember Link's score, is curbed by VC's save state feature—use it!  

Recommended for FansAs much as some Nintendo fans hate to admit, though, Zelda II also has many notable qualities.  In the first Zelda game players explored a vast but desolate world with nothing more than scraps of information from a thin instruction booklet.  Zelda II introduced the busy towns and non-player character interactions now so familiar. Zelda II's quicker pacing, more epic bosses, and deliberate swordplay has been quietly reprised in recent games such as Twilight Princess, Four Swords Adventures, and Super Smash Bros.  And while the interesting but ultimately superfluous magic system was redesigned on the SNES, Zelda II provided its foundation.  The Adventure of Link may be the "black sheep" of the series, but enjoyable dungeons and satisfying controls make it a fun, if flawed, Virtual Console game. - Michael Cole  

Milon's Secret Castle - NES

Milon's Secret Castle - NES  

Released 9/1/1988
  1 Player
  Cost: 500 Wii Points ($5)

This somewhat obscure and totally weird NES game may best be described as "Metroid on LSD".  You play as Milon, a young wizard who shoots bubbles at enemies.  The game is basically a platformer with shooting elements, but the level designs are very tricky and require careful exploration.  You also find and/or purchase new abilities throughout the game which unlock new areas...so you can see where the Metroid comparison originates.  Fans of New Super Mario Bros. may recognize Milon's influence on that game, as some levels have secret areas that can only be accessed by shrinking yourself and squeezing through tight spaces.  

Recommended for FansMilon's Secret Castle is a colorful and incredibly strange game with famously awful Engrish provided by the shopkeepers.  The many levels are intricate but wholly illogical -- the best strategy is to shoot EVERYTHING, including the walls and floors, to find secret doors and bonus money.  Due to the high degree of challenge, sluggish controls, and sheer insanity saturating the game, casual players may quickly grow frustrated.  However, the castle holds many secrets for loyal explorers, and the game is so unusual that it really deserves to be played by fans of Metroid, M.C. Kids, and even Mario experts.  Pro Tip: There is no in-game save or password system, so use the Virtual Console save state in conjunction with the secret continue code (hold left and Start on the title screen after a Game Over) for a fighting chance at completing this tough game. - Jonathan Metts  

Dead Moon - TurboGrafx-16

Dead Moon - TurboGrafx16  

Released 1991
  1 Player
  Cost: 600 Wii Points ($6)

Yup, it's another shoot-'em-up.  It seems like there are enough out there for one to be released every week, and in this case the TG-16's got us covered with Dead Moon, a horizontal shooter.  Wave after wave of enemies will attack, but you can grab one of four different weapon types.  These weapons are stackable up to four times to increase your firepower.  Bombs and option-type ship support are also at your disposal.  Being powered-up will give you a defensive edge as well as an offensive one; if you're hit with a souped-up gun it'll get downgraded a level.  If you're hit while using a basic weapon, you're dead.  

Recommended for FansDead Moon is another of many shmups available on the service, and it's another that fans of the genre will enjoy.  However, we may be getting to a point where the shoot-'em-up arena is getting too crowded for its own good.  Yeah, this game is good, but so are a lot of others.  Are you really going to buy them all when so many of them are similar to one another? - Steven Rodriguez  

ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron - Genesis

ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron - Genesis  

Released 12/31/1993
  1-2 Players
  Cost: 800 Wii Points ($8)

The funky-fresh alien pair make their VC return in Panic on Funkotron.  Unlike the original TJ&E game, where levels were all randomly generated, the sequel is a more traditional adventure platformer.  Earthlings have somehow invaded planet Funkotron, and it's up to you to get them off using the power of funk.  You can play the game alone as either ToeJam or Earl, but the game really shines when two play cooperatively.  

Recommended for EveryonePanic on Funkotron is in many ways better than the original, because of it better fitting the mold of an actual game.  You can still scan areas like in the first game, but the main goal this time around is to jar those pesky humans and send them back from whence they came.  And of course, the world's bizarre style makes it a fun ride for all from start to finish. - Steven Rodriguez  

Thanks to VG Museum again for letting us borrow some of their screenshots.  They've got a lot of them over there, you know.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Virtual Console Mondays: June 4, 2007
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 03:52:13 PM »
I'll say it because it needs to be said and we might as well get it out of the way:

Zelda II is for fans but Kid Icarus is for everyone? WHAT. THE. HELL.

Now we can move on.

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 04:21:08 PM »
Artimus, I agree with you 100%. I really like Zelda II. I guess TYP just didn't feel the same way.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 04:22:42 PM »
I think TYP's biggest problem with it is that it isn't Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 04:23:04 PM »
I'm one of the few that actually adores Zelda II.  I love the game.  I think its battle system is great, and I love the magic casting, too.  I wish current, modern Zeldas took upon this style of Zelda gameplay, too.  And with Twilight Princess, we're starting to get a bit of that style.  Who knows, the next Zelda is going to be so dramatically changed, according to Miyamoto, that we may very well see something so far beyond what Zelda II did for the Zelda series on the NES.  I can't wait!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Zelda II is awesome.  First Zelda game I got into.  Still can't believe I actually beat it in Jr. High.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 04:59:53 PM »
Is Milon's Secret Castle really so Metroid-like? ¬_¬
GOREGASM!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 05:04:10 PM »

In the first Zelda game players explored a vast but desolate world with nothing more than scraps of information from a thin instruction booklet. Zelda II introduced the busy towns and non-player character interactions now so familiar.
Which is why I believe the original Zelda is the purest of all of them. I may be biased because it's the first one I played, but Miyamoto created Zelda out of his memories exploring a barren cave. The solitude from the first Zelda has been carried forward, of course, but not to the same extent. LttP and OoT may be the most fleshed out and most technically sound Zelda games with the NPCs and all, but I think they stray away from Miyamoto's original intent. Link's Awakening (not directed by Miyamoto) really strayed the most as far as I'm concerned.

Interestingly enough, Gunpei Yokoi's Metroid has remained closer with the solitude thing.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 06:42:33 PM »
Please stop bringing up Kid Icarus.  I think that game is horrible too, and it is very important to understand that these impressions are written by individual staff members.  Seriously, that "free point" simply cannot be applied to my writeup.

I would like to go on record, as I have said before, saying I really enjoy playing Zelda II.  Imagine that--recommended for fans actually means some will like the game?!  And gamers can enjoy games with a review score of 7?  WOW!  I am one of the fans the game is recommended for, but I assure you some will not enjoy grinding, or they will not enjoy discovering in Dungeon 6 that they should have been grinding in Dungeon 1.  Perhaps some others on staff or in the forums have a different interpretation of "Recommended for Everyone," but I see RfE and RfF ratings as audience, and not quality, assessments.  
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
RE:Virtual Console Mondays: June 4, 2007
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 06:48:24 PM »
Hey TYP, moving away from the defense of NWR reviews again, I was just wondering what happened to last week's trivia podcast? Was it cancelled or delayed to this week?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 06:51:17 PM »
It's off-topic but I will respond.  I was on business travel and could not organize a recording session in time.  T'was my lack of planning. This week should be live radio trivia.
Nintendo World Report

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 07:20:38 PM »
My take on the opinionated ratings:  It works.  Just read the talkback thread, and you'll be able to see which games are borderline for several of the games.  So far, I have not seen a game that was not heavily talked about in talkback that I didn't 100% agree with the rating about.

I think Kid Icarus is done with.  We've heard enough about that.  On the Zelda 2 side, I think that there are very mixed opinions.  Personally, I think the game is a little too difficult and a little too frustrating to receive the "For Everyone" tag, so I have to agree with TYP on this one.  In this case, fans would be anyone who enjoys Zelda or Sidescrollers, which is a pretty broad category.  TYP's review implies this to the audience, and gives great reasoning for why it isn't for everyone.  Of course, you still should tell what you think about it here, for the readers who might not be familiar with it.  Extra perspective never hurts.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 08:59:19 PM »
What, no games recommended for me?!?!?!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 09:27:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39
Is Milon's Secret Castle really so Metroid-like? ¬_¬

The gameplay is very, very much like the original NES Metroid.  Of course, Metroid evolved over the life of the series, while Milon's Secret Castle hasn't really had that opportunity.  There's more talk of this on RFN, too.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 12:06:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
There's more talk of this on RFN, too.

No thank you.  I prefer reading to listening to people ramble.
GOREGASM!

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 12:41:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
There's more talk of this on RFN, too.

No thank you.  I prefer reading to listening to people ramble.

Awww. you're missing out on a really great podcast then.  RFN is good stuff to be had.  I couldn't go through a week without it. ^_^

I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 01:03:18 AM »
I've listened to a few episodes and didn't find it particularly interesting.
GOREGASM!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 02:56:55 AM »
Gosh, I never thought I'd get mocked EVERY subsequent VC Mondays article for actually liking Kid Icarus...

/sigh.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 03:22:14 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

Link's Awakening (not directed by Miyamoto) really strayed the most as far as I'm concerned.

Still the best game ever made.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 03:29:23 AM »
Grinding in Zelda II isn't as bad as. . . well, pretty much every other game I've ever played that uses experience points.  When I was a kid, for reasons I will never be able to explain, I was a total pansy when it came to risking my virtual life in games, and so I leveled up by fighting the absolute weakest enemies that gave experience, two points each, for days' worth of play time.  Since then, I've grown a pair and found an easier way.  I go through the first temple a few times until I can handle the boss, and then I just go through the game without bothering to grind until I get to the third temple, which is the first to feature an Ironknuckle statue that can spawn an Ironknuckle or a red magic bottle.  The Ironknuckle gives plenty of experience points, and the magic bottle means you can use Life magic as much as you need.  I still don't max out every stat here, because it's not necessary at this point in the game, and clearing a temple guarantees a level up.

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 03:32:54 AM »
I'm in the level-up-while-it's-cheap camp.  Kill them bubbles in the first or second temple.  There's a room in the first with four of 'em every time you enter the room.
Nintendo World Report

Offline planetidiot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 04:06:17 AM »
I love Zelda 2... the best way to level up is to not put back any of the gem things after you beat a boss.  Wait until you are around experience level 6, then return to the old dungeons and get free level ups.  No sense in wasting the free level up on exp. level 2.  Wait until you need a ton of exp. points!

Also: what overworld exploit bug?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 04:19:46 AM »
I agree with the rating for Zelda II (Recommended for fans), you're either a wuss or you've got balls...of fire. I don't do much grinding at all in this game, maybe it's because I've played this game so many times that I don't think it's dificult anymore.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 05:00:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
I agree with the rating for Zelda II (Recommended for fans), you're either a wuss or you've got balls...of fire. I don't do much grinding at all in this game, maybe it's because I've played this game so many times that I don't think it's dificult anymore.

And there is that thing about Miyamoto giving it the failure label (Which I don't believe he has ever given one of his games), many of the most important team members not working on it, a year development time, and the whole experiment thing. So I think the recommended for fans is justified, not because it is hard, but that the game is extremely flawed and tried to do way too much with a lot of it not working (Random battles should NEVER be in an action RPG).  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 05:05:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
Gosh, I never thought I'd get mocked EVERY subsequent VC Mondays article for actually liking Kid Icarus...

/sigh.

Thank you for noticing my mocking hehe. Oh yeah, Zelda 2 is still better than Kid Icarus in both design and gameplay!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144