Author Topic: Ken Kutaragi "Retires"  (Read 19566 times)

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Ken Kutaragi "Retires"
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2007, 02:04:03 PM »
I don't get what Ken did. All his system designs were ugly. His controller design was terrible. The PS2 and PSX were two of the least user-friendly systems ever. Only the games saved them.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2007, 03:09:24 PM »
He was a good engineer when he was an engineer. Sony in the early 90's and 80's did mean a solid reliable product. The sound chip for the SNES was excellent back in the day and allowed a far richer sound experience than any other console on the market at the time.

He lucked out with the PS1. The console was already made and needed only modifications to allow it to become a piece of standalone equipment. If Nintendo didn't back out of the deal, which would have been weird due t how compromised it was, the SNES CD addon would have crushed the Saturn. With the addon, the SNES would have become a video buffer and sound chip and the addon would do most of the grunt work besides mode 7. The multichip design of the Saturn was 10 years too early and the basic software engineering wasn't mature enough yet.

The PS2 was a horrible piece of engineering. So focused on the big numbers that the console "could" put out that he forgot what the numbers actually did. With the console war becoming "Presidential", Ken became the front man for the PS2. With the comment of "Toy story", it should have became apparent that something was wrong since it was unachivable and it was a lie. He might have believed in the lie, he didn't know anything about the software side of things. Everyone took the lie hook, line and sinker because we as a whole weren't that cynical back then. Clinton had kept the peace for pretty much a decade. Companies weren't in the habit of lying. 911 hasn't happened, Enron hasn't happened. Bush hadn't really happened.

The PS3 failed because no one took the lie anymore. People were done. PS1 was the FMV commericals. PS2 for the emotion promise. PS3 was the broken promise of everything. The insane comments, price, the actual graphical ability, development costs. From a straight flush to Junk in one day at E3.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Ken Kutaragi "Retires"
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2007, 04:04:02 PM »

Originally posted by: oohhboy
The PS3 failed because no one took the lie anymore. People were done. PS1 was the FMV commericals. PS2 for the emotion promise. PS3 was the broken promise of everything. The insane comments, price, the actual graphical ability, development costs. From a straight flush to Junk in one day at E3.

You're already talking in past tense!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2007, 05:57:39 PM »
I don't see how Sony is going to pull out of its rut anytime soon, or ever. A lot of people say that PS3 will regain momentum later on, when developers learn to 'harness the console's full power' (whatever that's supposed to mean). Unfortunately, good graphics != good game, or even bestselling game. A lot of the stuff that has come out on PS3 is already much 'better-looking' (read: photorealistic) than anything that will ever come out on Wii. Has that stopped Sony from sinking into the quicksand? Are better graphics really going to stem the PS3's decline?

A gaming console is really nothing but a tool- a paintbrush, a canvas, a sculpting tool. It's up to the developers to make use of that power and create compelling games. Just because I go from fifteen to twenty (or twenty thousand) tubes of oil paint on my pallet does not make me a better painter. Going from 10 to 100 different paints might allow me to better express my creative vision...going from 100,000 to 1,000,000 different tubes is not going to help any artist in real life. Sony's mistake was to lose the big picture and create a mile-high canvas with billions of little tubes of paint, sitting there for artists (game developers) to take advantage of. Eventually, you come to a point where more tools result in smaller increases in opportunity: you could theoretically do a lot with the resources (the PS3's hardware assets) at your disposal, but the resources aren't going to paint pictures (make compelling games) by themselves.  
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2007, 06:20:03 PM »
I remember when my mother was worried that terrorists were going to harness the chip in the PS3 for use with missiles and and general destruction.  I imagine this probably came from Kutaragi, but I just remember it as a Sonyism thing.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2007, 06:57:54 AM »
Perhaps Ken Kutaragi is a closet Nintendo fanboy who was saddened that his company was driving them into the ground so he began doing everything he could (without being too obvious about it) to undermine Sony so Nintendo could rise to the top again.

If that was his goal then the man is a genius.
is your sanity...

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2007, 08:42:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Chozo Ghost
Perhaps Ken Kutaragi is a closet Nintendo fanboy who was saddened that his company was driving them into the ground so he began doing everything he could (without being too obvious about it) to undermine Sony so Nintendo could rise to the top again.

Yes, Nintendo was definitely being run into the ground, you know, with their billions of dollars of net worth, and their profit in all but one quarter when the Gamecube was their focused home console.  I'm glad you know your stuff.  Good thing Kutaragi saved them from that one quarter, or else, they might no have 145 games in development at this point, they might only have had 142 right now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2007, 09:41:08 AM »
"Sega was worse than Nintendo. If you think IanSane is bad now just imagine all the stuff he'd have to complain about as a Sega fan."

If I was a Sega fan and this was a Sega site I wouldn't even be here.  Sega pretty much no longer exists.  They're Sammy.

The Playstation's success is largely due to Sony coming in at the right time (which was likely a fluke) and being competent at a time where the industry leaders were both f*cking up in a huge way.  I'll give Sony full credit for not screwing up (sometimes in life that is worth praising) and thus taking advantage of the situation.  But if Sega or Nintendo didn't screw up odds are they would have been number one because of the strong brand name.

The PS2 I see as an item where Sony and the gereral public wanted it to be different things and by luck the resulting product was sufficient enough to fulfill the public's wants.  Sony was obviously going for some set-box kind of functionality and just happened to have great timing.  They had the hype of being the market leader.  The Dreamcast died shortly after the PS2 launch giving Sony almost a whole year of being the only current console before MS and Nintendo released their consoles.  The timing of DVD playback was perfect as the public was just ready to adopt the new format.  They also had GTA3, which was a total surprise hit as the previous games weren't A-list titles, as an exclusive.

The PS3 has flopped because it crossed the line where Sony's vision and what the public wants don't crossover.  Once again they tried to push a new movie format but THIS time the timing wasn't there.  With the PS2 people wanted a videogame system but just happened to like the PS2's extra features as well but they probably wouldn't have cared if DVD support was never there.  The PS2 happened to be a good videogame system but that's not necessarily what Sony wanted it to be.  The PS3 follows Sony's vision more closely and as a result the general public is not as interested.

Imagine two lines that at first appear parallel but actually one line is the slightest degree off and is actually moving away from the other line.  At first it won't be noticable but over time the lines get significantly seperated.  That's the Playstation brand and the public.  At first they appear to be in sync but eventually break apart and do so by following the same paths they always did.  The journey had crossover but in the end the goals were different.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2007, 10:40:10 AM »

Imagine two lines that at first appear parallel but actually one line is the slightest degree off and is actually moving away from the other line. At first it won't be noticable but over time the lines get significantly seperated. That's the Playstation brand and the public. At first they appear to be in sync but eventually break apart and do so by following the same paths they always did. The journey had crossover but in the end the goals were different.

Thats a very well done analogy.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2007, 12:57:15 PM »
The article (or is it Kuturagi) seems to be contradicting itself.

In an exclusive interview with EE Times, Kutaragi said: "As a matter of course, I have the vision of Playstation 4, 5 and 6, which will merge into the network."

The outgoing Sony executive said he will maintain an amicable relationship with Sony, but added that future projects will be largely independent of Sony.

That still gives a fair bit of weight to the "executives don't get fired, they get moved to a desk at the window with no real work to do" notion. Hell, that article just sounds like the same old Crazy Ken speak - grand claims from an engineer out of touch with reality.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2007, 01:31:18 PM »
Who wants to bet the next PS system (if there is one) will be exactly like the previous PS systems, just with more "goodies" crammed into it and purtier graphics?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2007, 02:00:35 PM »
Don't forget ripoffs of whatever new ideas Nintendo has.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2007, 02:32:49 PM »
What?  Home isn't a copy of Mii's.  Home people are ugly and less creative.  Mii's also don't leech onto you and suck out the cash.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2007, 04:18:06 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
What?  Home isn't a copy of Mii's.  Home people are ugly and less creative.  Mii's also don't leech onto you and suck out the cash.

SECOND LIFE!!!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2007, 06:02:10 PM »
Well, yes, I was thinking Second Life, but he claimed they had ripped off Nintendo.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2007, 07:26:07 PM »
Crazy Ken's current position at Sony = SUPER's position at NWR.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2007, 07:37:18 PM »
I'm too lazy to read all the posts but here's my two cents.....(literallly its only worth two cents)

glad its done, and shocked at the same time.  Personally I could imagine Ken firing all the other head figures of the Playstation line, just to show who's the boss.  Reminds me of another wacko Nintendo fanboys should be familiar with.  A cookie for everyone who knows about who I'm referring to.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2007, 08:40:50 PM »
SECOND LIFE!!!!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2007, 09:02:43 PM »
In all honesty I wouldn't mind seeing Ken being added to Nintendo's hardware department, specifically designing the internal components of Nintendo's next system.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2007, 03:48:28 AM »

Originally posted by: thatguy

Originally posted by: Chozo Ghost

Yes, Nintendo was definitely being run into the ground, you know, with their billions of dollars of net worth, and their profit in all but one quarter when the Gamecube was their focused home console.  I'm glad you know your stuff.  Good thing Kutaragi saved them from that one quarter, or else, they might no have 145 games in development at this point, they might only have had 142 right now.

Hey, I was just being sarcastic in an attempt at humor. I was poking fun at all those who prophesized Nintendo's demise a few years ago.  
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2007, 05:44:49 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
In all honesty I wouldn't mind seeing Ken being added to Nintendo's hardware department, specifically designing the internal components of Nintendo's next system.

I would. Hardware and software are intensely related fields for Nintendo, and their relationship and symbiosis is one that Kutaragi has utterly FAILED to recognize.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2007, 02:57:08 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

As would I... if I didn't care about the eventual price of the system.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2007, 05:59:22 AM »

Originally posted by: WuTangTurtle
I'm too lazy to read all the posts but here's my two cents.....(literallly its only worth two cents)

glad its done, and shocked at the same time.  Personally I could imagine Ken firing all the other head figures of the Playstation line, just to show who's the boss.  Reminds me of another wacko Nintendo fanboys should be familiar with.  A cookie for everyone who knows about who I'm referring to.

I'd like to know who this is...

(if you tell, could I still have a cookie?) ...uuunnnhhhh cookie gaahhhh....

</drool>
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2007, 05:06:50 PM »

I know it's Gamespot, but they had an article which mentioned that very scenario:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6170115.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newscallout&tag=newscallout;callout

Last paragraph:

"Iwata was also asked if Nintendo might hire Ken Kutaragi, Sony Computer Entertainment's ex-chairman and CEO, in light of his stepping down last week to "pursue other projects." "I don't think we will do that," Iwata said. "  
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu